Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Eventing Vlogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eventing Vlogs

While I've been working from home, I've been watching lots of YouTube videos in the background, especially when trying to drown out my poor thunder panicked dog. The headphones are a great assist with that. I started with watching Tina Wallace and Emily Dunstan, through LIfe on the Left Rein, and then fell down the rabbit hole. I have really enjoyed the inside look into eventing in England from the perspective of adult riders, who fit eventing into their lives with jobs and the obligations of everyday life in general.

I've started digging around, and didn't find any sort of riders from the US that are doing the same sort of YouTube channel. The UK and Australia, yes, but the US no. It is a ton of work, that's obvious from the amount of recording and editing that would be required. And it appears that a great deal of the motivation might be found in the brand ambassadorships that the riders have with many of the companies. Do we not see US riders doing this because those type of sponsor or ambassadorships would mess up amateur status in the US? Or perhaps my Google searching needs work?

I've been (well, HSLC has ) approached by riders here that are pros for sponsorship and have had juniors ask to be ambassadors, but I've never seen adult ammies with the channels/social media exposure and working with brands like these riders do in the UK. I've seen some junior riders in the US with Vlogs, but not any adults with non-riding related day jobs. I will say that I have seen lots of people with a strong IG presence, but again, mostly in the US, it seems to be riders who work with horses for a living.

Do y'all know of any US riders who have put together a Vlog similar to these in the UK, or is the issue as I guessed, that the sponsorships would mess up adult riders here, and so it isn't worth doing?

Perhaps I shouldn't be left alone to work with YouTube on? I am highly suggestible, and now want, no *need*, a new Champion skull cap, and a cool custom shirt for XC (which I haven't even schooled since 2013), and many other goodies. This may be a highly effective marketing channel . . .
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

I guess EventionTV by Dom and Jimmie Schramm isn't exactly a vlog, but it's fun if you haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Gardenhorse View Post
      I guess EventionTV by Dom and Jimmie Schramm isn't exactly a vlog, but it's fun if you haven't seen it yet.
      Oh, it is fantastic! But, after the two Evention seasons and the Along for the Ride series, they are no longer filming the episodes. I loved and have seen them all (and HSLC sponsors Dom and Jimmie!).

I was more curious to see if there are some non-pros vlogging, and I've just missed them in my searching, and if not, why not? I know in the H/J world, the amateur status is a very big deal -- is that what would keep someone from creating a vlog, and seeking ambassadorships?

Comment

Oh, sorry, I missed that you were mostly looking for non-pros. Since Amateur isn’t really a thing for eventing, except for some of the championships like AEC, I wouldn’t expect that to be the major issue with respect to eventing vlogs. Maybe we’re just not as cool as the Brits and Aussies.

Comment

You can check out the US Event Horse Futurity. Each entrants does vlogs. It’s interesting to watch the young horses develop and you can get a bit of insight into both breeding choices and then young horse training.

https://theuseventhorsefuturity.com/2020-vlogs

eta: I can say that as someone who had made a few....they really take a lot of time to make. So I just think people haven’t caught on....but there are a ton of rider based channels out there. Just not Too many are eventers in the US.....because honestly, there are not that many eventers compared to other horse sports..
          Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 30, 2020, 02:01 PM.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I'm doing monthly vlogs for my young horse, and I've done some videos and mini-series (like with AEC coverage) here and there over the years, just for fun, and I can say that omg it is so much work. Waaaaaaaay more work than blogging 5 days a week, that's for sure. I don't think I could justify the time and effort unless it was paying me back somehow, and that does get really tricky here.
            http://the900facebookpony.com/

Comment

There are a handful out there, but not with not nearly the following as the ones you've mentioned above. So that's the big piece with sponsorships, no company is going to sponsor someone who doesn't already have a large following because their products simply won't get the views and the return on investment isn't there. And it doesn't seem like there's a large following to eventing focused channels in the US outside of Claire Eventing and previously JETeventing (who is now JetEquitheory and R+ focused, no longer eventing).

The few US specific eventing focused channels I know of are

-Keelari (I think she's an adult ammy)
              -Ride and Roam (adult ammy)
              -AMP Eventing (she's a professional I believe)
              -AJS Eventing (she's a junior)
              -(selfish plug here) my own HHF Eventing (I'm technically a pro, but not really. I have a full time job)

There's a fair number of H/J youtube channels based in the US, but most are very small. Vlogging is really fun, but super time consuming and challenging if you don't have someone to consistently film. Pluse it's becoming harder to grow a channel unless there's already a following on another social media platform, or there's that one vid that really takes off because there is just so much content that gets uploaded to the site the smaller channels just get buried.

Comment

To be a successful vlogger/instagrammer you don't need to be a good rider. You don't even have to be close. My experience is the successful vloggers - at least in my part of the world - are either 15 year old girls with braces or cute boys just turned seniors. The thing they do have in common is they seem to have all the time in the world to vlog themselves through life. And there are plenty around of these vloggers. But.. they are normally vlogging in their native languages
                I love horses, eventing and good dining!
                Blogging at www.eventingmania.com

Comment

Also several US based riders to training clubs. Sally Cousins has a good one. She posts short videos with voice over what she is thinking etc. but most of these you need to pay to subscribe (not much) and are usually supported by students and friends. But yes...they all take a lot of time....and a lot of the super successful ones really are not about the quality of riding or training but more the production on the videos.....which is a skill unrelated to horses.
                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by MsRidiculous View Post
                    I'm doing monthly vlogs for my young horse, and I've done some videos and mini-series (like with AEC coverage) here and there over the years, just for fun, and I can say that omg it is so much work. Waaaaaaaay more work than blogging 5 days a week, that's for sure. I don't think I could justify the time and effort unless it was paying me back somehow, and that does get really tricky here.
                    And we love ALLLLLL the Presto we can get!

And that was what I was really wondering -- is it the ambassadorships/sponsorships that make it worth spending the time, because as I can tell, just from all the footage I've gathered, it isn't the filming that is difficult, but the editing can eat up all your time.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions of others to check out. If I am representative, it is an effective way for companies to get their products out into the world. I am far more likely to make a purchase if MsRidiculous has reviewed it, for instance, and was pleased and gives good blog feedback. On the UK Eventing Vlogs I've watched, I have really liked seeing the products in use, and I'm also more likely to want to make a purchase. (Though neither MsRidiculous nor the UK Vlogs have convinced me on the helmet pom-poms! )

Comment

Originally posted by Bensmom View Post
                      . (Though neither MsRidiculous nor the UK Vlogs have convinced me on the helmet pom-poms! )
                      We'll get you someday, my pretty.

http://the900facebookpony.com/

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by MsRidiculous View Post

We'll get you someday, my pretty.

ha! Never! <lol>

Seriously, though. I was stalking around, and found some US ammie event riders with Vlogs after all!

Amateur Eventer Tales
                        HHF Eventing
                        Savannah Kennedy
                        EventerGirlProbs
                        K&The Bays
                        Keelari

I haven't actually watched all of them yet, but I'm watching and working this week. I think they are all adults and mostly not trainers. but no one has anything like the UK following, but there were some out there, I just had to follow some rabbit trails to find them!

Comment

Working...
                        X