Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Mask thread, from someone that has had the virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mvp View Post
    Yanno, if someone could give me a controlled case of COVID-19 so that I could recover and then donate convalescent blood plasma rich in antibodies, I'd do it.

I'm a big fan of donating blood and blood products. I used to donate platelets, but I haven't since this whole shebang started as I can't wrap my mind around spending 4 hours in a room/sealed HVAC system with other people. Yet my heart breaks for the people who still need platelets for treatment. Leukemia doesn't take days off.

Do you guys think antibodies are effective in the treatment or prevention of COVID-19? Otherwise, do you think I'm wrong to be so suspicious of conditions in a donation room at the American Red Cross?

Sorry for the divergence into non-eventing stuff. It's just that this seems to be a place that has collected some experts. Thanks!
    I have given platelets twice since Covid. They temp test you at the door. I was required to wear a mask correctly. Same normal screening plus another temp test. In my center you would select a DVD to watch. They have upgraded to Hulu. Everyone in the facility was masked. It is set up now for every other bed for spacing. We have to bring our own blanket and not use one of their warmed blankets. All the staff is gloved. Lots of wiping everything down. I feel better giving platelets rather than blood since once I am unhooked and bandaged I can leave. No hanging in the canteen area for the 15 minutes. They put the hand squeeze things in a new glove before they hand it to you.

I am scheduled to give again July 25. Getting scheduled for evening or weekends has been tough. Due to the spacing requirements they have less slots available.

I was very comfortable with the precautions at my center.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
      It would be pretty easy to add the mask thing to the rules as part of the covid protocol. Just another item that masks are exempt from the standard rules for dress. A mask can be worn in any fashion, in any class, even if it is down.
      Yes, USEF is doing presidential modifications for rules that need modifications during this time period. If a judge or steward gives you grief about something minor like wardrobe stuff, it would be beneficial for everyone to alert USEF of this.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post

I have given platelets twice since Covid. They temp test you at the door. I was required to wear a mask correctly. Same normal screening plus another temp test. In my center you would select a DVD to watch. They have upgraded to Hulu. Everyone in the facility was masked. It is set up now for every other bed for spacing. We have to bring our own blanket and not use one of their warmed blankets. All the staff is gloved. Lots of wiping everything down. I feel better giving platelets rather than blood since once I am unhooked and bandaged I can leave. No hanging in the canteen area for the 15 minutes. They put the hand squeeze things in a new glove before they hand it to you.

I am scheduled to give again July 25. Getting scheduled for evening or weekends has been tough. Due to the spacing requirements they have less slots available.

I was very comfortable with the precautions at my center.
        Thank you for weighing in. I do think the Red Cross where I have donated in the past is careful. I'm in South Carolina where the cases are rising, but our state isn't as bad as AZ yet..... maybe now is the time.

All the rest of y'all: Did you know that platelets have a shelf-life of just 5 days? That means the need is constant. Also, I think it would make the job of running the logistics for this supply of blood products super interesting.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
          All the rest of y'all: Did you know that platelets have a shelf-life of just 5 days? That means the need is constant. Also, I think it would make the job of running the logistics for this supply of blood products super interesting.
          Thank you for this mvp. I worked in a blood bank for many years putting myself through school. I was on the "distribution" end: worked in a hospital typing, crossing, distributing many blood products. For those who don't know, a donation of one unit of blood (500mls) can be used in so many ways: whole blood, just the red cells, just the platelets, just the plasma etc. Plasma can be frozen and thawed as needed. Contains lots of necessary proteins and elements for the body to function. Platelets are funny little cells that are integral in the clotting process and why if you nick yourself you don't bleed to death. One dose of aspirin nukes your whole platelet cohort, which is why you aren't to take aspirin for a week before any planned procedures and why people who are prone to clots take an aspirin a day. But about 1/7th are replaced every day in a healthy body so by the end of the week you're back to where you started (and a donation never takes all of the platelets in your body).

The logistics of blood banking fascinated me. Whole blood has a shelf life of about 3 weeks, maybe more with new techniques. We always used the oldest blood first, but had such high turnover that it was usually only a few days old. Rare blood types are harder to get, but also more rarely used. Sometimes they outdated which was bad, but also meant no one had needed them (good!). The Connecticut Red Cross provided us with all of the blood we used, at no charge to the patient. It was a great example of donors doing good and saving lives. One case comes to mind: a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. 163 units of blood were used in a few hours, but the patient lived. Without those 163 people being willing to donate, the story would have been much different. All of that blood was collected and tested by the Red Cross.

I can't respond to the issues a poster upthread had with the Red Cross not getting back to them because my knowledge of them is ancient history. Perhaps the new mandate for collecting convalescent plasma wasn't yet worked out in their system. But I am sorry you had a bad experience.

They don't call me frugal for nothing.
          Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Originally posted by frugalannie View Post

I can't respond to the issues a poster upthread had with the Red Cross not getting back to them because my knowledge of them is ancient history. Perhaps the new mandate for collecting convalescent plasma wasn't yet worked out in their system. But I am sorry you had a bad experience.
            This was my thought.
            From what I understand (simply from talking to people while donating, I have no inside information), the Red Cross takes rules very seriously. Every little thing has a rule associated with it. Which makes sense considering what they do. Following the rules to the letter is how they are all trained.

I can totally see them not having a rule/system for something new and that leaves the worker bees struggling to know how to move forward.
            Not that they do not want to think for themselves but they work in a place where thinking for yourself is not allowed because of the safety their system provides, that it is required to provide.

Comment

Originally posted by frugalannie View Post
              It was my friend and not me.

She didn’t have a ‘bad’ experience with the Red Cross. She had NO experience because they took 10 weeks to get back to her. By then she’d joined another convalescent plasma program.

To put this in context, the Red Cross was all over social and news media seeking plasma donors. When my friend had her positive antibody test, the techs at the lab said ‘Oh good, now you can call the RC!’ And that was exactly my friend’s purpose in getting an antibody test - she’d seen the Red Cross appeal and wanted to find out if she could help.

She called - yes, called - the RC right away and was told that the application form was on the website, that she should fill it out, submit the form and her test results and they’d contact her.

For several weeks, she called, emailed, etc. If she called, she was told ‘You need to fill out the form...’ and when she said that, they said ‘then wait for someone to contact you‘.

Meanwhile, lots of people in Southern California are sick and dying of Covid-19. Lots of people. Families are on social media begging for private plasma donors. Begging. And some days my friend would go on social media and the people looking for plasma were now mourning a death in the family.

10 weeks go by before the Red Cross sends a response that says she ‘might’ be eligible to be a donor and to call their partner blood center.

By then, my friend had been put in touch with the UCLA lab. She called one day, went in the next day, donated plasma the next week (plasma donors are on a spaced schedule so that stocks don’t run out).

It’s not like the UCLA lab is a back alley operation. I’m quite certain they take rules as seriously as trubandloki claims the RC does.

There’s nothing that justifies a 10 WEEK response time from the RC for life-saving plasma donors during a pandemic. Nothing. Especially if the RC is running media campaigns to find Covid-19 plasma donors. What this actually means is that the RC is getting people - people who want to donate plasma - to fill out their application and then not following up. So potential plasma donors are thinking that they’ve signed up to a program and they’re waiting for a call. Not everyone is going to be like my friend and find an actual functioning donor program.

As I said before, if all the RC does is take your submission form, sit on it for 10 weeks and then refer you to a partner blood center (where you’ll have to go through the screening process, etc.), there’s no reason why the RC doesn’t put the blood center contact info on their website so you can start the process 10 weeks sooner.

frugalannie, there’s no excusing it by saying maybe the RC hasn’t ‘worked out their system yet’. If they don’t have a system in place for plasma donors, they shouldn’t be pretending that they do. They should be referring donors with life-saving plasma to blood centers that are actually doing the work.

It’s a pandemic. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post

there’s no excusing it by saying maybe the RC hasn’t ‘worked out their system yet’. If they don’t have a system in place for plasma donors, they shouldn’t be pretending that they do. They should be referring donors with life-saving plasma to blood centers that are actually doing the work.
                Absolutely agreed, and I apologize for not getting the facts right.

They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Working...
                X