Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Daughter wants to change trainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Having had my horses at home my whole life I totally get it about the trainer not including your daughter because you don't board there. Even though I had a coach I rode with twice a week for YEARS, I was never invited to the shows or clinics, because to be blunt I wasn't a "money maker". I could trailer myself, and pay for own stabling etc. In barn boarders and students paid the crazy trailer fees, stable fees etc to my coach. I know it happens because I have been there, the best thing to do is find a coach who values your time, money and your daughters efforts.
    Ditto. Always been a bit more independent. I WANT to be included, I enjoy the fun times out with the group. But we are never looked at as the program riders, the ones who jump and go whenever. Being an adult ammy has its downfalls too, have to work around my stupid work schedule.. but I need that job to enjoy it, so I must keep the job I guess.

Luckily my now coach includes me as much as she can, she always asks, even if I'm bummed that I can't make it. She gets it, she knows my wallet isn't deep and knows I have a schedule to work with. I miss out on a lot of things, but its still nice to be thought of.

Comment

Just a thought but has your daughter talked to her BFF about this? Honestly, I am kind of surprised the BFF didn't mention how much your DD would like to come to the clinic. Sometimes it is easier to speak up for a friend than yourself.

It does sound like the trainer had one stall, your horses need 2, and also that your daughter is still able to participate in lessons/training where she is and the BFF is getting a horse for the first time so "needed" the stall more. I think that's a reasonable decision for the trainer to make, but she should have discussed it with you and assured you space when she has it. Many trainers just aren't good communicators, though.

FWIW my agreement with my in-house trainer is that we prioritize her active clients when I have a space. It's only fair, it is hard enough to make a living in this sport. We watch out for each other and yes, that sometimes means the wait list gets rearranged to benefit her business.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post

This would be the daughter who invited her BFF into the program?

The daughter acquires another horse to put in training with the trainer.
        The daughter brings an apparently very good client to the trainer.

Please remind me why we’re questioning her commitment to the program.
        Curious if you know the OP or the trainer involved and have inside information? Because only one side of this story is being told and it does not make sense at face value.

To turn this around, why on earth WOULD a trainer piss off Good Clients who bring her other good clients and have a commitment to her program for years? And purposely invite the second client (who is BFFs with the Good Client) to a clinic over the Good Clients? And risk losing the Good Clients who now have multiple horses to put in her care?

I mean, if you know the trainer and know up front she is a witch and just wants to piss off her Good Clients in favor of newer clients who may or may not stick around as long as the Good Clients do, then it makes perfect sense. The rest of us don't have this information though. If it is just not a good fit personality wise, well that happens and time to move on. But otherwise I really need the other half of the story to fully understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by caryledee View Post
          Curious if you know the OP or the trainer involved and have inside information? Because only one side of this story is being told and it does not make sense at face value.
          Oh dear god no.

I have no idea about anything than what OP posted. From that - and only from that - I formed the opinion that the trainer does not value OP as a client and falls short in the professionalism department.

As for all the speculating and blaming everyone and anyone (including the BFF!), I’m not interested in that kind of fan fiction. I just went by what OP posted. It appears from the numbers that a fair amount of readers have agreed with me.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post

Oh dear god no.

I have no idea about anything than what OP posted. From that - and only from that - I formed the opinion that the trainer does not value OP as a client and falls short in the professionalism department.

As for all the speculating and blaming everyone and anyone (including the BFF!), I’m not interested in that kind of fan fiction. I just went by what OP posted. It appears from the numbers that a fair amount of readers have agreed with me.
            You have a very active imagination. I am not blaming the BFF, but if the BFF is a BFF and the girls talk about deep issues like this, and OP’s kid is shy, maybe that would be a way to help resolve the situation so the best friends can keep riding together. I am super shy about myself but the first to speak up for a friend so I just thought that might be an avenue to address this for a conflict avoider.

99% of horse professionals fall short in the professionalism department. Communicating effectively is better than getting hurt feelings, quitting a trainer, and ending up with someone with whom you will learn to play a new set of mind games.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
              But I am also not sure if it matters. Four years is what matters. People do pretty much as they have always done. No matter what conversation is had now, no matter what is said or promised, I would expect that the trainer will continue to behave as the trainer has behaved for the last 4 years. And, the mom will continue to do whatever she has or has not been doing for the last 4 years (including failing to initiate and maintain a constructive communication with trainer). It makes no difference why, it is just what they do.
              The flip side of daughter being a good client for four years...is the trainer perhaps doesn't think she has to 'work' to keep her as a client. Which isn't to say she's being professional or that OP should put up with that, just that trainer might assume status quo will continue and therefore not prioritize daughter for stalls.

Comment

Original Poster

Wow! I had no idea this topic would bring so much discussion!!! I am pleased to have had an honest and productive discussion with the trainer and I can fill in some holes 😊😊😊

The Buck Davidson clinic - trainer was only allowed to bring ONE person with her due to Covid-19 precautions in our area. My daughter’s BFF had been scheduled to work at the barn those two days, but trainer needed offsite assistance and took BFF because she needed barn manager to stay and manage stuff at the farm.

The lack of boarding slots was actually fully explained by trainer and truly was a matter of circumstance. There are lots of moving parts in the story and being privy to some of the struggles trainer went through, I respect and understand her decision.

Trainer loves teaching my daughter and her super cool horse. She doesn’t want us to leave, but she also understands where we are at right now, too. We left it as open for future working relationships.

My daughter was able to process the entire conversation and feels like the issue is resolved. She is sad that she has decided to leave. But also realizes that in this point in time, the trainer won’t be able to support her needs. This was purely because trainer doesn’t want to travel to different areas for events. Our events in this area keep getting canceled, so we are forced to go to neighboring areas to get our events in this summer. The new trainer is going to most of the out-of-area events for the same reason, so my daughter will have support at home or at events.

Thank you all for weighing in on the topic!

Comment

Originally posted by joharavhf View Post
                  Wow! I had no idea this topic would bring so much discussion!!! I am pleased to have had an honest and productive discussion with the trainer and I can fill in some holes 😊😊😊

The Buck Davidson clinic - trainer was only allowed to bring ONE person with her due to Covid-19 precautions in our area. My daughter’s BFF had been scheduled to work at the barn those two days, but trainer needed offsite assistance and took BFF because she needed barn manager to stay and manage stuff at the farm.

The lack of boarding slots was actually fully explained by trainer and truly was a matter of circumstance. There are lots of moving parts in the story and being privy to some of the struggles trainer went through, I respect and understand her decision.

Trainer loves teaching my daughter and her super cool horse. She doesn’t want us to leave, but she also understands where we are at right now, too. We left it as open for future working relationships.

My daughter was able to process the entire conversation and feels like the issue is resolved. She is sad that she has decided to leave. But also realizes that in this point in time, the trainer won’t be able to support her needs. This was purely because trainer doesn’t want to travel to different areas for events. Our events in this area keep getting canceled, so we are forced to go to neighboring areas to get our events in this summer. The new trainer is going to most of the out-of-area events for the same reason, so my daughter will have support at home or at events.

glad it is much less personal than thought in the OP. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyB View Post

Ditto. Always been a bit more independent. I WANT to be included, I enjoy the fun times out with the group. But we are never looked at as the program riders, the ones who jump and go whenever. Being an adult ammy has its downfalls too, have to work around my stupid work schedule.. but I need that job to enjoy it, so I must keep the job I guess.

Luckily my now coach includes me as much as she can, she always asks, even if I'm bummed that I can't make it. She gets it, she knows my wallet isn't deep and knows I have a schedule to work with. I miss out on a lot of things, but its still nice to be thought of.
                    I feel you on this....deep feels!!!
                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Originally posted by joharavhf View Post

Sounds great. Keep the relationship with the old trainer open. I work with several trainers (they are all different and important to me).....She isn’t leaving as much as she is EXPANDING her knowledge base and connections. It is good to do this and learn more tools....and also just part of growing as a rider.
                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post

Sounds great. Keep the relationship with the old trainer open. I work with several trainers (they are all different and important to me).....She isn’t leaving as much as she is EXPANDING her knowledge base and connections. It is good to do this and learn more tools....and also just part of growing as a rider.
                        This. Every trainer I have worked with was ok with this.

Just an opinion, but in a way you and your daughter now have the best of all worlds, OP. You do not 'belong' to one trainer. Be clear with the next one that while you consider yourself in his/her program and under their guidance, from time to time you may work with others, just for a broad experience. No disrespect to the "primary" trainer. Getting this in the conversation up front can avoid some awkward times later.

The only thing I ever had a trainer caution about was outside instruction that undid what they were trying to build. I'd keep lines of communications open, and if the primary trainer has an issue with something your daughter is learning from another source, you can be respectful of that in your future choices.

And you are setting a great example for your daughter of communications and flexibility, and making the changes that are best for herself. From what little you have referenced, sounds like she's already handling such choices well.

Good for you and your daughter to keep expanding your horizons! Wishing you both a great equestrian summer!

Comment

Glad everything was resolved and things were better explained. Good luck with the new trainer! I hope you daughter has a lot of fun in the future. Riding and showing should be FUN!

Comment

Working...
                          X