Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Daughter wants to change trainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joharavhf View Post
    Hi all. My daughter and I are both riders, though she’s much better than I am. She has been working with a trainer for almost 4 years on and off. The inconsistency was due to lack of horse, or having a horse that was injured. So it wasn’t like she was riding with another trainer. We have always had to board our horse somewhere else, as the trainer did not have space in the barn For my daughters horse. Recently, there have been openings in the barn, but the trainer is choosing to allow other clients to bring horses in instead of us. My daughter’s best friend has been riding with the trainer for about a year now, because my daughter told her about the trainer. Well, now the bff is getting her first horse and is getting a stall in the barn, despite us asking a million times.

My daughter’s feelings are really hurt about this favoritism. She works her ass off, is respectful, prompt and tidy for lessons. We recently bought a 2nd horse so now daughter could have two horses going with the trainer.

I completely understand why my daughter feels like she’s not “wanted.” Heck, the trainer went to Buck Davidson clinic this weekend and invited the BFF and didn’t even mention it to my daughter. I’m sad for my daughter, but I’m older and could careless about these people in general. We have our two horses at home, we have a trailer, and we generally do our “own thing” anyways. (I have owned and competed horses for a LONG time.). I personally love that we pick our own event schedule, and have the flexibility in trainers even though we’ve been with this one for a while.

Anyways, I know we have to move on, and I’ve already scheduled an introductory lesson with a different trainer next week...but I am super bummed. I don’t know whether I should try to talk to the trainer about why we are moving on, or just let the distance speak for itself. I know that whatever I say to her won’t change the fact that my daughter’s feelings are super hurt, and I don’t think anything the trainer could do would change that. Thoughts on the situation?

Teenage girls are so hard 😩
    OP, the situation may be *exactly* as you describe it, but I think there is a lot of room here for an entirely different approach that has nothing to do with your daughter. If there is any room for recovery here, have a conversation with the trainer. If there isn't, then move on.

The BFF, for example. You mention she's getting her first horse, and that that horse is getting a stall. Is she as experienced as your daughter? Riding wise, and horse care wise? Does it make sense that she should be under your trainer's roof to learn how to care for said horse, and perhaps for multiple training rides/lessons per week? Does she have a trailer, as you do? So if she's off-site, will she bring as much business to the trainer as she would if she were on site, or will BFF move in with a different trainer?

I have a nickel that says this is a business decision, not a favouritism contest. In spite of your assessment of the trainer's wealth, she's still running a business. For the BDJ clinic, did the friend ride, or groom? Why was it the trainer's position to be able 'offer' a spot to her? If you guys do your own thing, why could your daughter not just have signed herself up? Unless you have voiced this to her, I bet the trainer has no idea your daughter feels this way at all. A conversation could be the cure for all that ails you here.
    The plural of anecdote is not data

Comment

One more thing I want to say about this, not for OP, but for any trainers reading. If you're teaching teens especially, they're incredibly sensitive to this kind of thing, and you can do significant unintended damage by creating this perception of unfairness without it seeming like a big deal to you.

I have seen this multiple times, especially among teens that are shy and uncertain. They reach out of their comfort zone, the adult maybe accidentally doesn't support them or follow through, and it's very hard to get the teen to try again. I think it's one of the unrecognized but important benefit of some of the SafeSport training - the don't pull individual students aside for special, personal outside interactions. Not just to protect the favorite child from assault, but to protect the peers who weren't invited to go to the gym to cross train or invited to lunch, and felt left out and second class.

We're an individual sport and we think about treating kids as individuals, especially because you rarely have a large cohort at the same age and riding level. But, it's really important if you're teaching kids to treat them as evenly and fairly and transparently as you can so that they all have equal opportunities with you and so that they know what their next steps are to meet their goals. And also: if you make commitments to your kids, make sure you keep them and follow through.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

OP I do think you should have a conversation with the trainer and ask her directly why she declined to have you board with her after you expressed your desire to board with her when a stall became available.

I would also ask her why she didnt tell your daughter about the clinic.

You should not assume you know the answer. Or demand one. The trainer may choose not to tell you.
        if that's the case your daughter has to decide if she wants to continue working with the trainer.

It may be that she may a good trainer but is clueless about interpersonal relationships and the best way to treat clients.

It may be that she truly does not care if clients stay or not. She may be in a financial situation where she can choose to decline clients without having any financial repercussions.

She may or may not be aware of the emotional impact on your daughter. She may not care.

I do think it's a good time to have a talk with your daughter about the trainer/student relationship. It is great when you can have a collegial relationship, but one must never mistake that for friendship.

I dont think the trainer is being intentionally spiteful.
        And it is her facility and you have to respect that.
        if she thinks you and your daughter arent serious enough or she doesn't think it's worth it to her to have you board there, then she should tell you that.

I can see why your daughter feels hurt. She feels rejected and dismissed. This is a good opportunity to show her how not to internalize this and take it personally. But also accept that the trainer has her reasons and your daughter does not need to feel responsible.

I dont think this trainer is the right fit for your daughter anyway. Teenage girls are very sensitive, even if they pretend not be , about getting approval and acceptance and inclusion from people they look up to.

This trainer seems to be indifferent as to whether your daughter stays or goes.

If the trainer is being all pathological and passive aggressive then I would find another trainer. Your daughter doesn't need that and deserves better.

If it's simply a matter of the trainer being clueless you and your daughter can decide if she can work around that.

But I would still look for another program where the trainer has both knowledge and integrity.

Good luck.
        Certified Guacophobe

Comment

I’m a trainer.

Why have you waited this long to have a direct, not- heated conversation with your trainer?

You can frame it as goal-setting meeting.

What are you teaching your daughter by allowing her to feel left out and sad without having a conversation with the trainer, who at least should be informed of what’s going on behind the scenes?

She may be a crappy person, and not care.
          Or she may have been horrified, and somehow missed what your daughter was feeling.

Either way, SPEAK UP! Get information. Show your daughter what grown ups do when they sense something isn’t adding up.

Comment

Sure, we can't fully know who is at fault. This is all our best guess. It's just not fair to blame the trainer for going with the "sure thing". Also, did you say you wanted to do clinics? was this a known thing? we expect people to read out minds.

I have been the not-favorite and the favorite. I think it's clear why and when I am/was the favorite (or not). when I was the favorite I worked my ass off and developed a relationship with the trainer outside lessons, asked for their opinion, had a 3 and 6 month showing plan. My horse was ready and fit. Its not just about money, it's about the rapport and engagement.

We all have had a variety of trainers and no one in the end really cares. It's your money and your time. Good luck!

Comment

Did I miss daughter's age?
              Mom, the trainer has for whatever reason made it clear, she does not want to board your daughter's horses.
              IMO, you ask why, or more on.

Comment

If trainer had offered stalls to your daughter, the BFF may have moved to a new trainer to buy and board a new horse. If trainer thinks she can keep your daughter as a trailer-in and entice BFF further into her program through a stall for a new horse, it makes sense from the trainer's perspective to offer the stall to BFF. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't move on to a new trainer, especially if you want to go somewhere that you can board on-site. But the trainer's motives may not have anything to do with your daughter or BFF as individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Periwinkle View Post
                  But the trainer's motives may not have anything to do with your daughter or BFF as individuals.
                  So now I want to hear your excuse for why the trainer invited BFF but not daughter to the Buck Davidson clinic.

Comment

Originally posted by Periwinkle View Post
                    If trainer had offered stalls to your daughter, the BFF may have moved to a new trainer to buy and board a new horse. If trainer thinks she can keep your daughter as a trailer-in and entice BFF further into her program through a stall for a new horse, it makes sense from the trainer's perspective to offer the stall to BFF. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't move on to a new trainer, especially if you want to go somewhere that you can board on-site. But the trainer's motives may not have anything to do with your daughter or BFF as individuals.
                    Bingo. And JER, that could have been as simple as the BFF being in the right place at the right time. Hell, they could have bought the new horse from Buck. It could be any number of reasons.

but OP also said that daughter feels left out of the scene in old trainers barn. To me, that is a bit more telling. Go try a new lesson. Get out to more clinics. Don’t burn the bridge with your old trainer but go and see what else is out there. You may find a better fit! I know that I’m VERY glad not to have a lot of YRs in my barn. Those barns with a ton of kids always seem to have way too much drama. Drama that I didn’t like as a teen and certainly don’t like now!
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                      And JER, that could have been as simple as the BFF being in the right place at the right time. Hell, they could have bought the new horse from Buck. It could be any number of reasons.
                      Except this is what OP said:

Recently, there have been openings in the barn, but the trainer is choosing to allow other clients to bring horses in instead of us. My daughter’s best friend has been riding with the trainer for about a year now, because my daughter told her about the trainer. Well, now the bff is getting her first horse and is getting a stall in the barn, despite us asking a million times.
                      So they ask a million times but they’re never in the right place at the right time?

At the very least, the trainer should have explained her decision to leapfrog the BFF over OP.

At the very least.

Comment

were you on a wait list? was there a discussion of specifics? Since you have your own place maybe trainer doesn't think you "need it" as much,....?

Comment

I think one thing both the OP and the replies are not addressing is that this has been going on for 4 years. Four. Years.

I think there is a great deal more to this story. We have not heard what the trainer would say, or has said to this family in the past.

But I am also not sure if it matters. Four years is what matters. People do pretty much as they have always done. No matter what conversation is had now, no matter what is said or promised, I would expect that the trainer will continue to behave as the trainer has behaved for the last 4 years. And, the mom will continue to do whatever she has or has not been doing for the last 4 years (including failing to initiate and maintain a constructive communication with trainer). It makes no difference why, it is just what they do.

Only the child has a real chance to mature and change. And she should be enjoying a better situation somewhere else. Sounds like the daughter doesn't need the talk, she's ready to go. It's the mom who needs some encouragement to get moving in a new direstion, asap.

If I had to guess, the OP is a mom who is just venting, and perhaps seeking some support for the decision to leave. It's hard to make a change this significant and join a whole new group. But it's time to make that change - the sooner it is made, the sooner the new reality can start settling in. For both the daughter and the mom.

Comment

Consider also joining Pony club, where your daughter should be taught by a variety of trainers. Many Pony clubbers don’t have the money for full time training, but manage to become good riders by taking advantage of every lesson they are offered.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
                              If I had to guess, the OP is a mom who is just venting...
                              This is so insulting and dismissive on so many levels.

(The OP explained the four years by qualifying that for some of the time, there’s been breaks for injuries or lack of horse. Surely, we all agree that’s a very real situation that happens with horses.)

Comment

Regardless of the backstory, it's still hard to swap trainers - especially one you really wanted to work for you and your program, but didn't for whatever reason. There's a few clues in this thread that as an outsider, give me the impression the trainer is pursuing the client she thinks will give her more money, and is leaving OP and her daughter to the wayside. I feel for OP & OP's daughter; as a teen I found myself in a similar situation and my trainer prioritized her $$$$ clients and left me in the reeds more than once.

The roles were reversed; my mom was ready to move on, but I wasn't!

It's hard -- but when people show you who they are, believe them. I think you've given this trainer enough chances - best of luck with your new trainer.
                                AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Having had my horses at home my whole life I totally get it about the trainer not including your daughter because you don't board there. Even though I had a coach I rode with twice a week for YEARS, I was never invited to the shows or clinics, because to be blunt I wasn't a "money maker". I could trailer myself, and pay for own stabling etc. In barn boarders and students paid the crazy trailer fees, stable fees etc to my coach. I know it happens because I have been there, the best thing to do is find a coach who values your time, money and your daughters efforts.
                                  Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post

Except this is what OP said:

So they ask a million times but they’re never in the right place at the right time?

At the very least, the trainer should have explained her decision to leapfrog the BFF over OP.

At the very least.
                                    I was talking about the going to the clinic...not boarding. Boarding could be just like the post I quoted. It could be that the trainer only has room for one horse and the OP has multiple horses...and the trainer thinks she needs to make room for multiple horses. Who knows unless she talks to the trainer—that I agree if the OP cares, she can ask. But to me...there seems to be a communication issue in general and the daughter feels left out of the barn (which can be the case for any number of reasons). I personally would go try some other lessons regardless. I wouldn’t burn a bridge but she may find something that is a better fit while still not burning the bridge with the existing trainer.

FWIW—I personally ride with a number of trainers. Some I’m with their program more than others. BUT I make the effort to communicate with my trainers. A good trainer student relationship does require good communication. And not all good trainers are the right fit for all students. To be included may require the daughter to make more of an effort on her part....separately from the OP. Its hard...it takes some confidence that many teens lack.....so they have to learn to fake confidence like most of us did!
                                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

To be included may require the daughter to make more of an effort on her part.
                                      This would be the daughter who invited her BFF into the program?

The daughter acquires another horse to put in training with the trainer.
                                      The daughter brings an apparently very good client to the trainer.

Please remind me why we’re questioning her commitment to the program.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post

This would be the daughter who invited her BFF into the program?

The daughter acquires another horse to put in training with the trainer.
                                        The daughter brings an apparently very good client to the trainer.

Please remind me why we’re questioning her commitment to the program.
                                        I never questioned her commitment to the program. It was the comment that she felt left out....that usually has NOTHING to do with her commitment to any program but her own feelings. In MOST barns...if you are not physically boarding there...you can get that feeling of being left out unless it is one of those places where the trainer makes a big effort at inclusiveness....which in my experience is very uncommon. In any environment....work, school, sport ....we sometimes have to learn how to assert ourselves to get involved and feel included. If you are a bit of an introvert (like I actually am)....this takes effort on our part too. This is also a common issue for many many many teenage girls. We here in cyber space do NOT know exactly what is going on. I’m not going to crucify anyone. But all I do know is that the daughter feels hurt and left out...whether for reason or not....it really doesn’t matter. They are her feelings. My only point is that based on what the OP has posted, her daughter like many teens...doesn’t want to assert herself and now feels left out at this barn. IME, that doesn’t change. So look for a new farm BUT also recognize that it takes effort by both sides to feel included and a part of things....more when you are not boarding with a barn but also when you are there. Its a life skill....and useful in many situations. I played multiple team sports from the age of 7...and still had to learn it and work at it. Kids who ride...also have to learn the skill...and trainers and parents can help but if they do all the work...kids don’t learn the skill either. In the above...its as simple as saying hey coach, I heard so and so audited a Bucks clinic with you...please let me know if there are any other such other auditing opportunities. I’d love to go and learn. Or do the research on clinics and ask your couch if this such and such clinic would be worth you going to audit or even attend.

Comment

she felt left out....that usually has NOTHING to do with her commitment to any program but her own feelings. In MOST barns...if you are not physically boarding there...you can get that feeling of being left out unless it is one of those places where the trainer makes a big effort at inclusiveness....which in my experience is very uncommon. In any environment....work, school, sport ....we sometimes have to learn how to assert ourselves to get involved and feel included.... her daughter like many teens...doesn’t want to assert herself and now feels left out at this barn. IME, that doesn’t change. So look for a new farm BUT also recognize that it takes effort by both sides to feel included and a part of things....more when you are not boarding with a barn but also when you are there. Its a life skill....and useful in many situations. I played multiple team sports from the age of 7...and still had to learn it and work at it. Kids who ride...also have to learn the skill...and trainers and parents can help but if they do all the work...kids don’t learn the skill either. In the above...its as simple as saying hey coach, I heard so and so audited a Bucks clinic with you...please let me know if there are any other such other auditing opportunities. I’d love to go and learn. Or do the research on clinics and ask your couch if this such and such clinic would be worth you going to audit or even attend.
                                          I agree with BFE I had a case of the feeling of being left out - like when your horse dies and everyone says 'don't be a stranger.'

The step up to the plate in life lesson here is for the teen. Important life lesson/skill is learning how to open doors for yourself. I spent a lot of time fostering this in my kids when they were young. I had to learn this on my own I grew up with NO parenting.
                                          Last edited by pony grandma; Jun. 15, 2020, 05:18 PM.
                                          The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

Working...
                                          X