Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How were the rules at comeback events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How were the rules at comeback events?

So we returned to eventing last weekend in this country.
    Can anyone who went report back?
    Were appropriate guidelines in place? Did people generally follow the rules? Did you feel safe?
    If you traveled to compete, are you self-isolating at all, or more closely monitoring your temp for a while?

I felt safe. The mask rule was heavily enforced near the competition and warmup areas, with numerous announcements over the PA to remind everyone of it. Scores were all online and dressage test/ribbon pickup was in a separate room from the office, with only one person allowed in at a time, and hand sanitizer available. Bit check was visual only, and competitors removed their own fly bonnets. I felt that fellow competitors and trainers respected each others' space. It was great to be back showing and I feel the competition did their best to get things right.
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you!

Comment

I competed 1.5 hours away and felt that it was run very well. It was completely paperless/no touch and they had wipes and hand sanitizer in the few common areas like the port-a-potty. Social distancing was followed by all that I saw. As far as travel, we just didn't stop anywhere along the way. Since we didn't come into close contact with any people and were outside the entire time, I don't feel that extra monitoring of temp or self-isolating is necessary. The conditions at the event were lower risk than going to the grocery store in terms of potential COVID exposure.

Much like the work from home situation, I think some of these changes will stick after the pandemic is over. Going paperless is cheaper and easier on event organizers once they know how to do it and it is better for the environment.

Comment

I was at Florida Horse Park this weekend for the schooling show and I was impressed with how everyone was following the rules. Masks were on at all times when not mounted or in your stall and everyone was following social distancing. The office for registration/ribbon pickup was extremely organized with only one person at the window at a time and everyone else being polite and making a socially distant line. The organizers made it clear that you either followed the rules or don't come.

I did see plenty of competitors just pull their masks down around their necks for their rides then pull it back up once dismounted. If you plan on doing that I would recommend having a neck wrap that you replace with a traditional style mask once untacked or when walking around. I had a mask that tied behind my head and neck. It almost fell off on XC, had the course been slightly longer I probably would have had to catch it or lose it. (I won't do behind the ear masks, they interfere with my glasses too much.)

Finally, bring more masks than you think you'll need. My whole group was complaining that by the end of the day our masks were soaked with sweat and rubbing. But that was ultimately our faults for not thinking about being out in the Florida heat all weekend and sweating. I will 100% be willing to go to FHP again with these new rules.

Comment

I spoke about my experience over on dressage but I will sum it up.

Sign up and registration was all done outside. Signs and lines were up, and riders had to sign liability and rules.

Saturday my volunteer task was partially COVID enforcing. Most will tell you people were respectful, but when your actual job is to look for it? It's an entirely different story. The USEF rules are vague and nearly impossible to enforce (and yes I did speak with officials and the COVID committee on this fact and more hopefully will be done going forward). Due to some questions and concerns at an event the week before, the definition of Household was broadened to have a "pod". Basically if you travel or ride with that group ( mbrs of a barn) you can refrain from social distancing unless you may come into contact with others.

What it boiled down to was an incredibly busy ring area, we had riders standing in multiple large groups, traveling in golf carts together, coming to get water or stand In the shade, and coming to check in with the ring steward ...all without masks.

I spent 6 hours telling some people MULTIPLE times to put a mask. Unless the rules become more clear at the facility or by USEF, I wouldn't be showing(and I won't be volunteering again). I tried to wipe everything down all the time, but I would walk away to speak to someone and find someone hovering or leaning on a common water jug, maskless. The part that really got me was people walking up to a 65+ yr old volunteer, without a mask on. And when I spoke to them, they would say "oh but they have a mask on!"

I was jump judging Sunday and saw no one other than park officials wearing masks. I know the volunteer who was doing social distance enforcement on Sunday quit.

If you are going to go show, and you have concerns or a medical issue, I would highly recommend that you see how a show runs first, and check facility rules. Look for rules that are black and white, and go further than the USEF rules do.

Also- we were in the south, i wore an equifit mask until i sweated through it, and switched to a dreamers schemers. I wore it for over 6 hours in the heat, and most of the time i was running between ring crew and enforcement. I clocked over 25,000 steps that day, and managed just fine with a mask (for the people who told me that couldnt be expected to put it on to talk to the volunteers, they couldnt breathe!)

Comment

Originally posted by Carried Away View Post
              I felt safe. The mask rule was heavily enforced near the competition and warmup areas, with numerous announcements over the PA to remind everyone of it. Scores were all online and dressage test/ribbon pickup was in a separate room from the office, with only one person allowed in at a time, and hand sanitizer available. Bit check was visual only, and competitors removed their own fly bonnets. I felt that fellow competitors and trainers respected each others' space. It was great to be back showing and I feel the competition did their best to get things right.
              How do you do a visual bit check?
              "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

Originally posted by AMWookey View Post
                I spoke about my experience over on dressage but I will sum it up.

Sign up and registration was all done outside. Signs and lines were up, and riders had to sign liability and rules.

Saturday my volunteer task was partially COVID enforcing. Most will tell you people were respectful, but when your actual job is to look for it? It's an entirely different story. The USEF rules are vague and nearly impossible to enforce (and yes I did speak with officials and the COVID committee on this fact and more hopefully will be done going forward). Due to some questions and concerns at an event the week before, the definition of Household was broadened to have a "pod". Basically if you travel or ride with that group ( mbrs of a barn) you can refrain from social distancing unless you may come into contact with others.

What it boiled down to was an incredibly busy ring area, we had riders standing in multiple large groups, traveling in golf carts together, coming to get water or stand In the shade, and coming to check in with the ring steward ...all without masks.

I spent 6 hours telling some people MULTIPLE times to put a mask. Unless the rules become more clear at the facility or by USEF, I wouldn't be showing(and I won't be volunteering again). I tried to wipe everything down all the time, but I would walk away to speak to someone and find someone hovering or leaning on a common water jug, maskless. The part that really got me was people walking up to a 65+ yr old volunteer, without a mask on. And when I spoke to them, they would say "oh but they have a mask on!"

I was jump judging Sunday and saw no one other than park officials wearing masks. I know the volunteer who was doing social distance enforcement on Sunday quit.

If you are going to go show, and you have concerns or a medical issue, I would highly recommend that you see how a show runs first, and check facility rules. Look for rules that are black and white, and go further than the USEF rules do.

Also- we were in the south, i wore an equifit mask until i sweated through it, and switched to a dreamers schemers. I wore it for over 6 hours in the heat, and most of the time i was running between ring crew and enforcement. I clocked over 25,000 steps that day, and managed just fine with a mask (for the people who told me that couldnt be expected to put it on to talk to the volunteers, they couldnt breathe!)
                Then it seems silly to have the covid police out when the rules are vague and not enforceable. Until there are actual rules which the event can mandate, there is no purpose policing folks.

Comment

Originally posted by CindyCRNA View Post

How do you do a visual bit check?
                  We have a similar thread over on the Dressage board. I asked the same thing. Essentially, the rider was asked to unbridle or drop the bit from the horse's mouth so it could be seen. A TD chimed in that they follow the horse back to stabling to ensure the horse can be unbridled in a secure area (which was my concern).

Comment

Originally posted by Displaced Mainer View Post

We have a similar thread over on the Dressage board. I asked the same thing. Essentially, the rider was asked to unbridle or drop the bit from the horse's mouth so it could be seen. A TD chimed in that they follow the horse back to stabling to ensure the horse can be unbridled in a secure area (which was my concern).
                    Oh good Lord! Just put on a glove on and check the damn bit! It's getting a bit out of hand!

Comment

Originally posted by CindyCRNA View Post

Oh good Lord! Just put on a glove on and check the damn bit! It's getting a bit out of hand!
                      Yeah I'm under the impression that horses don't spread covid.

If the bit-checker is wearing gloves, which they should do anyway, they are protected from any germs on the bridle.

The un-masked rider can turn their head and breath the other way for a moment.

I've shortened my list of positions I will volunteer for, not just based on safety/exposure, but based on reasonableness of requirements. Normally (pre-covid) I'll do anything.

Comment

Stable View handled it really well. Incomplete entries were not taken, and our packets were taped to our stalls doors on the first night. There were empty stalls between groups that were together for social distancing. Masks were worn by all in the busy areas. Highly recommend the neck buff type ones. We just pulled it up when we left the barn. They had hand sanitizer out for those that were setting jumps which was really nice. Most didn't wear masks in the barn areas. We were also 50 feet from the next nearest competitor, and I never came across someone else in the wash rack at the same time. No bonnet checks. They looked at the bit to make sure it was a snaffle, but it was mostly the honor system. I agree that bit check shouldn't be too risky to perform since they wear gloves and are quite far from the riders.

I think it was a great return to eventing, and I did not feel unsafe in the environment. We have been very cautious in my group for the past 3-4 months as two of us have autoimmune diseases with complications.

Comment

Yes, bring multiple masks, I work in a hospital and the infection control folks have been putting out weekly emails about the importance of wearing masks properly, and to toss or clean masks that become wet and/or soiled. We cant wear fabric masks here. So for those of you showing (or not) please keep that in mind when you're masking up. According to our infection control folks, it's best not to drop under your chin because if you're exposed to a positive person they could potentially send droplets resting into your mask so when you pull back up and on, you could potentially breathe in those droplets. That's a lot of ifs but just something to bear in mind. I think some of the gaiter/scarf type masks would lend themselves to better drop down/pull up.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!

Comment

We just held one at Waredaca and it went quite well. My husband runs SJ warmup and he had only one person he had to speak to all day - to remind to wear gloves when handling the warmup fences. We did have to do some gentle reminding over all about masks and distancing but everyone knew the rules ahead of time - they had all received a clear email from the organizer. EMTs did temp checks on arrival and a volunteer checked that USEF waivers had been signed. Competitors seemed happy to be back!
                              The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post

Yeah I'm under the impression that horses don't spread covid.

If the bit-checker is wearing gloves, which they should do anyway, they are protected from any germs on the bridle.

The un-masked rider can turn their head and breath the other way for a moment.

I've shortened my list of positions I will volunteer for, not just based on safety/exposure, but based on reasonableness of requirements. Normally (pre-covid) I'll do anything.
                                Do they change gloves for each horse? Otherwise they're just spreading germs from one bridle to the next. It's not necessarily about protecting themselves as it is about not transferring between surfaces and protecting others as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Brydie View Post

Do they change gloves for each horse? Otherwise they're just spreading germs from one bridle to the next. It's not necessarily about protecting themselves as it is about not transferring between surfaces and protecting others as well.
                                  The existing rules (before Covid-19) already require a change of gloves between each horse so that equine diseases aren’t spread between horses due to the bit check.

Comment

Ontario's first event is running this weekend.
                                    There are a surprisingly large number of entries in light of how many barns were closed until 5 or 6 weeks ago. Perhaps the trainers were riding all the horses 3 or 4 times per week.

One rider has 6 horses in the CCI 3* on Saturday, and 7 horses in the CCI 2* on Sunday. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by JenJ View Post
                                      Ontario's first event is running this weekend.
                                      There are a surprisingly large number of entries in light of how many barns were closed until 5 or 6 weeks ago. Perhaps the trainers were riding all the horses 3 or 4 times per week.

One rider has 6 horses in the CCI 3* on Saturday, and 7 horses in the CCI 2* on Sunday. Yikes!
                                      This is likely one of the only FEIs our pros will get this year, not looking like the Canadians will be able to go south this winter at all. Not surprised she is riding so many, that's a short day for her typically

What is awesome is that us in the non FEI divisions get to see at least one FEI division run!
                                      Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

I'm surprised the UL's are riding to be honest. I don't think the boarder is opening any time soon, best to save the legs. I expected more LL's but thats not the case.

I've entered Grandview and I'm rather stoked.

Comment

Working...
                                        X