Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

AA Eventers Do you feel disenfranchised by the USEA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Eventers Do you feel disenfranchised by the USEA?

Just wanted to get feedback from eventers who compete at recognized shows and want to move up.
    How easy or how difficult.
    Do you feel your concerns are being heard?

Thanks
    Certified Guacophobe

Why would I feel disenfranchised?

I am an AA, over 60, working in a non-horsey field.

Moving up is hard because you need to train yourself and your horse for the next level, but not because of anything USEA does. It is just as hard at an unrecognized HT as at a recognized one, maybe harder because, at a recognized HT you know a trained person has checked all the fences for safety and suitability. The USEF rules on moving up are all based on ensuring that you are safe, and avoiding bad accidents before they happen.

My comments on proposed rule changes are always taken seriously, even if they don't always end up agreeing with me. In fact one rule change that I proposed was picked up as a USEA backed proposal the next year. The reason it didn't pass was because of the Arabian affiliate, not USEA.

It probably helps that I work on giving back to the sport, as a GMO board member, as an organizer, as a licensed TD, as an Affiliate representative and Affiliate coordinator
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

Yes. Not only do I feel disenfranchised, in a dozen years of membership (more or less), I never felt enfranchised.

The USEA should focus far more on the lower levels where most of its members live, because the FEI owns the upper levels. The USEA upper levels track the FEI very closely.

It is somewhat better now, than it was for many years when the USEA website and everything else was boresighted solely on the upper levels, at which most members will never ride.

Every year the USEA annual convention, which seems to be aimed at upper level pros, does some insincere hand-wringing because the AA's mostly don't come, and mouth some obligatory phrases about making it more attractive for AA's for next year. I did go one year, and didn't see a reason to go again. Every year I think about going and mentally sketch out a plan, but when I think about what I'd get out of it compared with the expense, it's not the best use of my time and funds. If it were in town I'd go. One time it was 4 hours away and I gave it a pass. Every year I travel to some eventing stuff, but the convention - eh.

The USEA lives in its own bubble on the east coast and seems perfectly satisfied. OK whatever, USEA.

Comment

Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
        Yes. Not only do I feel disenfranchised, in a dozen years of membership (more or less), I never felt enfranchised.

The USEA should focus far more on the lower levels where most of its members live, because the FEI owns the upper levels. The USEA upper levels track the FEI very closely.

It is somewhat better now, than it was for many years when the USEA website and everything else was boresighted solely on the upper levels, at which most members will never ride.

Every year the USEA annual convention, which seems to be aimed at upper level pros, does some insincere hand-wringing because the AA's mostly don't come, and mouth some obligatory phrases about making it more attractive for AA's for next year. I did go one year, and didn't see a reason to go again. Every year I think about going and mentally sketch out a plan, but when I think about what I'd get out of it compared with the expense, it's not the best use of my time and funds. If it were in town I'd go. One time it was 4 hours away and I gave it a pass. Every year I travel to some eventing stuff, but the convention - eh.

The USEA lives in its own bubble on the east coast and seems perfectly satisfied. OK whatever, USEA.
        Actually....I’ve had to go to the Annual meeting the last few years as I’m currently involved in the Area (doing my volunteer bit giving back to the sport). Not a lot of people attend but it is by far just as many if not more AAs at the annual meeting as pros If not more. Honestly...the eventing community is TINY. This is a TINY TINY sport especially in terms of number of participants compared to the high costs to put on an event. It is NOT dominated by either the Pros or the AA or the YRs......it is not dominated by anyone...it needs everyone to survive. The USEA is run by a TINY office...with very few paid employees....(most everyone else are volunteers)....And then there is an interplay with the FEI and the USEF which are themselves Small small sports/offices and which eventing is an even smaller part. This sport takes ALL of us to be involved. You feel disenfranchised....call your area chair, get involved with your area counsel...get involved with an event...or a local CT association. Yes..it takes effort...it takes effort for everyone. I never attended the annual convention before because I damn busy in December for work...so it is hard for me to get away. But it is fun and there are interesting meetings to attend....that said...you can certainly get involved without going to the annual convention.
        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by AnastasiaBeaverhousen View Post
          Just wanted to get feedback from eventers who compete at recognized shows and want to move up.
          How easy or how difficult.
          Do you feel your concerns are being heard?

Thanks
          Will you be asking the H/J people next, about USHJA? You have asked about USDF and USEF on the Dressage forum.

Comment

Original Poster

Probably not. But I'm a little more familiar with Hunters as started out taking Hunt Seat lessons.

Hunters seem a little more accepting about the high costs of equine sports.

I hardly see anybody in the hunter/jumper forum complain about the 1% being able to go and drop 6 figures for an A circuit hunter and how it's not fair.

Some of the dressage people could learn a few things from the hunter peeps.

It's been an interesting discussion and has been giving me a lot of food for thought.
            Certified Guacophobe

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post

Actually....I’ve had to go to the Annual meeting the last few years as I’m currently involved in the Area (doing my volunteer bit giving back to the sport). Not a lot of people attend but it is by far just as many if not more AAs at the annual meeting as pros If not more. Honestly...the eventing community is TINY. This is a TINY TINY sport especially in terms of number of participants compared to the high costs to put on an event. It is NOT dominated by either the Pros or the AA or the YRs......it is not dominated by anyone...it needs everyone to survive. The USEA is run by a TINY office...with very few paid employees....(most everyone else are volunteers)....And then there is an interplay with the FEI and the USEF which are themselves Small small sports/offices and which eventing is an even smaller part. This sport takes ALL of us to be involved. You feel disenfranchised....call your area chair, get involved with your area counsel...get involved with an event...or a local CT association. Yes..it takes effort...it takes effort for everyone. I never attended the annual convention before because I damn busy in December for work...so it is hard for me to get away. But it is fun and there are interesting meetings to attend....that said...you can certainly get involved without going to the annual convention.
              The USEA is a reflection of the leadership circle that has run it for decades. Very small - and closed - circle of people and ideas.

Schooling horse trials are my involvement. In my orbit, the unrecognized horse trials are as good as the recognized horse trials, and that is where I have put a great deal of energy. The recognized just proves the course, reputation-wise. More than one organizer says they make their money on the unrecognized and wouldn't do the recognized if they didn't feel it was necessary, once or twice a year.

If the USEA lived up to what it could be, it would be a powerful force, and maybe the eventing community wouldn't be so tiny. But that doesn't seem to be what they want. They prefer their own goldfish bowl.

Oh yes, I've spoken up from time to time. They are polite, but it is their world and they seem to be happy with their little circle. So it is.

Comment

Probably not. But I'm a little more familiar with Hunters as started out taking Hunt Seat lessons.

Hunters seem a little more accepting about the high costs of equine sports.

I hardly see anybody in the hunter/jumper forum complain about the 1% being able to go and drop 6 figures for an A circuit hunter and how it's not fair.

Some of the dressage people could learn a few things from the hunter peeps.

It's been an interesting discussion and has been giving me a lot of food for thought.
                Bolded is mine. Really? You haven't seen people on the H/J forum complain about the price of hunters and H/J shows?

Comment

To me the tininess is part of the appeal, I guess. I like that it's a relatively small sport, that you see the same people at every local event, that you might have Phillip Dutton parked on one side of you and Susie Amateur with her SUV and Brenderup, doing her first event, parked on the other side.

For me the struggle is not getting too enfranchised. I'm happy to volunteer occasionally setting up or jump judging but I showed up once too often and got dangerously close to being given real power and responsibility.

I've had multiple $1 horses that were not fancy enough on the flat to be nationally competitive but were more than capable of moving up through Prelim. Realistically if I wanted to compete at Intermediate/ Advanced badly enough, I think I could get there (not win and probably not stay there for any length of time, but move up and get around safely) even on my tiny budget and no particular talent.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by skydy View Post

Bolded is mine. Really? You haven't seen people on the H/J forum complain about the price of hunters and H/J shows?
                    wow, Ive got my own COTH stalker now. I have definitely arrived.
                    You flatter me, skydy.
                    Certified Guacophobe

Comment

wow, Ive got my own COTH stalker now. I have definitely arrived.
                      You flatter me, skydy.
                      No, I am not stalking you. (Why would you be flattered by a stalker?)
                      I am just reading the same threads and when we quote each other, it pops up on notifications.

Comment

Highflyer, so well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Highflyer View Post
                          To me the tininess is part of the appeal, I guess. I like that it's a relatively small sport, that you see the same people at every local event, that you might have Phillip Dutton parked on one side of you and Susie Amateur with her SUV and Brenderup, doing her first event, parked on the other side.

For me the struggle is not getting too enfranchised. I'm happy to volunteer occasionally setting up or jump judging but I showed up once too often and got dangerously close to being given real power and responsibility.

I've had multiple $1 horses that were not fancy enough on the flat to be nationally competitive but were more than capable of moving up through Prelim. Realistically if I wanted to compete at Intermediate/ Advanced badly enough, I think I could get there (not win and probably not stay there for any length of time, but move up and get around safely) even on my tiny budget and no particular talent.

yes...the tininess to me is not a bad thing....unless people start acting like they are disenfranchised. If you are...you choose to be. NO ONE is more important in this sport than any other participant. Yeah...Boyd might get a bit of a big head/ego from time to time...but his horses do a good job of knocking him back to reality...just like every one of our own horses do the same for us (they are darn good at keeping us humble...and our vets employed). When I take a young horse out at novice....I’m with other AA, AND Pros. Yes...I get beaten by more than one former Olympic rider most often....but every once in a while....I beat them (on my NOT expensive OTTB). That is what I love about the sport. Yes...I can be competitive but this this is a sport where we all can be competitive....and you don’t need to be a not just a 1%er but a 1% of the the 1% like you do in other sports. It is about doing our homework...and training. It’s not the fanciest horse but the partnership and skills that we develop—and the sport is dang hard to do really well but always fun. Those with elite level goals are just as important as the rider who does not aspire to compete above BN. Yes, they will have different priorities and skills....its call having diversity. And while we are ALL eventers and all care about our horses....we are also different. That is NOT a bad thing....but I do get tired of people saying we are the backbone of the sport (From both sides)....WE ALL ARE the backbone of the sport....you see this really well when you get involved, and drill down on the numbers and speak with others who come from a different perspective than your self.

but yes....be careful....I got caught in a moment of weakness and got given some real responsibility. But this sport is small of enough that ALL of us who have been in it long enough...need to do our part sometimes. And no, I don’t always agree with everyone at the USEA or USEF....reasonable people can have differences of opinion. But if you are not asked to be involved....that is usually because people get tired of asking for help and not getting any....and if you want to be involved...yes you can....although it might take effort at first on your part. But just because people don’t do as you say or agree with you 100% doesn’t mean you are not important or they are not listening. I can listen and disagree...but if I choose to not be involved and at least voice my opinion...then I have chosen not to be involved....not that the sport has marginalized me.
                          Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Apr. 9, 2020, 08:19 AM.
                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

To the OP, I don’t think the “high cost of equine sports” means the same thing in Hunter circles as it does here. I have a field boarded horse who I (when not in quarantine) do all of the care for, from feeding to holding for the farrier.
                            It’s an expensive hobby by any reasonable standard, as we all know - adding up board vet farrier before we get to gear, truck/trailer, lessons, competitions... just to keep the horse happy healthy and ridden with well fitting gear is probably 7 or 8000 bucks a year before I take one lesson or do one thing off the farm.
                            But, as others have said, if you can afford that it is not a giant leap to get out and compete in an area with relatively local events, have fun, be challenged, and on occasion be competitive. You can do this on a horse you buy for under 15k, under 10 if you have some experience, good help, and patience. An awful lot of us define good help as regular coaching at home, not the constant presence of a coach at all competitions.
                            My sense is that those last couple of sentences are not true of hunters.
                            The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Original Poster

From what I have read, eventers are much more concerned with safety issues.
                              And rightly so.

Certified Guacophobe

Comment

From what I have read, eventers are much more concerned with safety issues.
                                And rightly so.
                                Any equestrian discipline should be concerned with safety because any riding is inherently risky. Eventers make more of it - and do the safety research - than say polo or dressage or showjumping or foxhunting or .... My personal wince: hunters stuffing their hair into their helmet which means it does not, can not fit correctly. Maybe it is because of my medical background.
                                "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Original Poster

Agreed. I'm happy to say that most FEI dressage riders wear helmets now instead of the traditional hat.

It may be a requirement now. I hope it is.
                                  Certified Guacophobe

Comment

Agreed. I'm happy to say that most FEI dressage riders wear helmets now instead of the traditional hat.

It may be a requirement now. I hope it is.
                                    For FEI helmets are not required until 2021 including traditional dressage. However it is nice to see most riders choosing a helmet over a top hat.
                                    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, or how feeling disenfranchised is related to moving up the levels? Could you clarify what kind of info you're looking for here? Or who you want responding?

Not even sure I'm the target audience - are you looking for people with upper level/team goals? I'm an AA and I clocked around Training level for a few years on my now-retired good egg. My current hand-me-down OTTB looks like he's going to step in nicely to the job of carting me around Training for a few more years. I am on the board of a local USEA event ( Highflyer that's definitely what happens when you volunteer one too many times, haha). I don't necessarily feel disenfranchised, but I look at my competitive goals as more of an individual journey and not one that is tied to support from the USEA.
                                      The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

Hunters do voice about how expensive the sport has become. Last show we went to our office fees were almost twice that of my division. I make a good 6 figure salary and still have to pick and choose since I’m not a trust fund baby. We’ve switched to our local nonrated CTs, dressage shows and dabble In CX. Generally it’s more affordable even then out schooling circuit.

As a hunter dabbling in the eventing world, it’s better run than the HJ world. (And generally the people are more fun but that’s a whole different topic)
                                        Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Comment

Working...
                                        X