Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Post your objections to frangible technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eventingmania
    replied
    Here's an example on how a lot of rider choose to take on MIM-clip fences. It goes fast even in slowmo around 6h in to the movie.

Leave a comment:

• CSU92
    replied
    Originally posted by evntr95 View Post
    Just adding a different perspective re: riders not respecting frangible fences. I activated a frangible oxer last summer. It was NOT because I didn’t respect it because it was a frangible fence/I knew I wouldn’t get hurt if I got in a pickle. It actually was the reverse of that psychology- I saw that the fence had MIMs clip and equated that to “oh my god this fence is so scary they had to make it frangible.” So when I came up to the open oxer and didn’t see a distance, I panicked and rather than sitting tight, supporting, and letting my catty little horse have the add, I gunned it, took off too early, pulled down the back rail and landed in a heap literally in front of the saddle on my horse’s neck. If it were on video, I’m sure you could say I rode poorly to it, but that’s not news to me- I know I screwed up. I would love to know what other riders in my position have to say, but it was TERRIFYING to know what could’ve happened if not for the MIMs clip and I sure as hell will do everything in my power to never repeat the experience.
    Great post brings up a factor I hadn't considered. Your heightened "respect" for the jump created a mistake. This issue should lessen if a greater percentage of fences get frangible technology. I am agitated when a course designer brings up the lack of "rider respect" for the fences when discussing bad riding leading to rotational falls.

I'm not trying to draw you out but your scenario should be sort of a big deal. It sounds like the clips might have prevented a horse fall. It sounds like you probably are a good rider that made a mistake in the heat of the moment. Your near miss should be scrutinized extensively; discussions with the course designer, builder, TD etc etc. Did any of that happen?

Leave a comment:

• Libby2563
    replied
    Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
    Libby, some of that has already been done (maybe just for 4*/5*) because I remember someone posting a list with stats last year sometime -- maybe on the Burghley thread? You could check it out. Thanks for working on that, will be interesting to see.
    Oh damn, I definitely don't want to duplicate any work! I will go looking. If anyone knows where to find this please LMK!

ETA: In the 2019 Burghley thread add leg did it for 5 stars only (post 529 if anyone's interested!).

Leave a comment:

• wildlifer
    replied
    Libby, some of that has already been done (maybe just for 4*/5*) because I remember someone posting a list with stats last year sometime -- maybe on the Burghley thread? You could check it out. Thanks for working on that, will be interesting to see.

Leave a comment:

• Libby2563
    replied
    Originally posted by subk View Post
    As a competitor I want to be able to search cross country result by xc course designer and I'd like to have that information prominently display rider falls, horse falls, and pin breaks at each level for each event. (As well as eliminations and refusals as a percentage of the division.) And yes, when I was competing more there were course designers whose events I wouldn't go to. As an organizer do you have the ability to evaluate a potential designer based on some sort of real data or even a safety rating?
    I just started working on analysis like this on Friday. I am inputting show results from the USEA website into Excel and calculating horse fall, rider fall, refusal, and completion rates for each event at each level. Unfortunately I can't do pin breaks because it's not captured. Eventually I will have enough data to calculate means, standard deviations, etc. I am including course designer names so stats can be broken down by CD too.

It is not difficult but it is time-consuming. I started with 2019 Area 2 since that's my area and it took me a couple hours just to do March and April 2019, though that included some start-up type stuff and troubleshooting my Excel formulas.

If anyone would like to help that would be great. My goal is to analyze all USEA results from 2015 to 2019.

Leave a comment:

• evntr95
    replied
    Just adding a different perspective re: riders not respecting frangible fences. I activated a frangible oxer last summer. It was NOT because I didn’t respect it because it was a frangible fence/I knew I wouldn’t get hurt if I got in a pickle. It actually was the reverse of that psychology- I saw that the fence had MIMs clip and equated that to “oh my god this fence is so scary they had to make it frangible.” So when I came up to the open oxer and didn’t see a distance, I panicked and rather than sitting tight, supporting, and letting my catty little horse have the add, I gunned it, took off too early, pulled down the back rail and landed in a heap literally in front of the saddle on my horse’s neck. If it were on video, I’m sure you could say I rode poorly to it, but that’s not news to me- I know I screwed up. I would love to know what other riders in my position have to say, but it was TERRIFYING to know what could’ve happened if not for the MIMs clip and I sure as hell will do everything in my power to never repeat the experience.

Leave a comment:

• Guyot
    replied
    Just a thought... any merit to the idea of no longer allowing watches out on xc... I mean if you don’t have that watch counting down; perhaps riders will ride the fence not the time.

When I used to event I rarely used a watch, I felt that it distracted me and I would get more aggressive at the end of the course, especially if I was close to the lead. By removing my watch I stayed more on task of giving my horse a good ride to each jump and rating the gallop by the terrain and how the jumps felt coming to me.

Could be this is nothing and just what happened for me; but thought it may be worth a mention. It would also make it tougher to win and make learning your inner clock a vital aspect of the sport going forward instead of making fences more technical all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Seagram
    replied
    Just curious, has anyone else read some of Denny Emmerson's post about how eventing has evolved into the sport as it now exists? How the horses may not be as fit, and how much more technical the courses on X are? Why? I am not an eventer, but have many friends who are, and I find much of what he says to be so true.

Leave a comment:

• CSU92
    replied
    What I see is the horse skip from the left lead to the right lead at take off for the first element. He lands on the right lead in front of the second element and then sees the water? which stalls his left leg. He breaks the log with his left knee which could have rotated him if the log didn't frangitate. Horse hung a leg on a drop into water and the frangible log let go of the trapped left forearm and the horse was able to catch himself on the landing.

Horse is forced onto its left lead upon landing and if you watch the rider get unseated you see other evidence that it wasn't a slither over the log scenario

The prolog was expensive, labor intensive and it could break under a horse calmly slithering off a drop but I think those weaknesses could be improved with some innovation. Frangible pins also break under slithering horses and I sort of like the ground jury discretion as to whether penalties apply in these cases but perhaps the rules say otherwise currently.

Leave a comment:

• Blugal
    replied
    Originally posted by CSU92 View Post
    It looks like the prologs actually might have prevented some horse falls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUfte-rCsAE
    I watched each trip through here. On balance, it looks like one of two things: either the distance between the bounce logs was long, or there was something backing the horses off more than normal. Out of 7 horses, one broke the 2nd jump, two left a leg at the first jump, and one chipped to both elements of the bounce.

I recognized all the horses and riders and while I'm not going to go back to check all their records at that point in time, all of them had some experience at the level, up to much experience at the level.

The horse that broke the jump did not appear to hit it very hard. Instead, it looked to me like the horse expected to get a bit of drag from the drop down, and didn't, which is understandable given all that horse's previous training and competition experience with non-breakable fences.

Leave a comment:

• Blugal
    replied
    That study should be complete now. Can anyone point to its results (I Googled but didn't find it)?

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied
    A study on rotational falls and pins;https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2017/01/...-fence-safety/

Leave a comment:

• CSU92
    replied
    Originally posted by endlessclimb View Post
    I am not opposed to MIMs.

But.

I don't believe it's the crux of the problem.

I don't think riders should have to personally fund them with money raising efforts etc. It should be handled by the respective governing bodies, while cutting budget for other frill stuff (do we REALLY need flowers by the dressage arena? Do we REALLY need all the decor by the other fences?). If they need to raise the fees X amount for each person, fine.

I believe the crux of the problem is dangerous riding. Otherwise, how could certain riders make it their whole careers without a serious rotational? I know I know, "there but by the grace of god, go I." But it does beg the question.

So. Sure, put MIMs in (PS, do they have a competitor in this particular field?). But make it a monster penalty if activated, so that they don't encourage dangerous riding. In addition, if a MIMs device is activated X times in a competition, the CD needs to be looked at thoroughly - did they make the fence too tricky, too unreadable?
    Re: dangerous riding. What percentage of the top 100 riders in the world have never had a rotational fall? Is there another kind of rotational other than serious?

I agree that a system needs to be developed that reliably penalizes instances where a horse fall would have been the result except for the activation of the system. We also need to make a much bigger deal out of the near misses, non serious rotationals, "just hung a leg and got popped out of the tack" scenarios

Leave a comment:

• eventingmania
    replied
    Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

Correlation does not always equal causation. You could say the same thing about air vests. It's likely that other factors result in the increase in rider falls. I don't see how marketing videos are proof that people ride with poor riding on purpose. They're just videos of the pins being activated to show that they decrease rotations. Several of the videos I saw resulted in elimination anyway, and I think the point was that they still hit hard but they didn't rotate. I can't fathom that a rider would ride in such a manner toward what is still a pretty solid big fence.

I think safety pins are one part of reducing falls.
    I don't believe anybody ride poorly on purpose. But a lot of people push things to the limit over roll top fences and fences that one way or the other are collapsible.

Higher level riders even admit they do these things. While lower level or inexperienced riders if you will, in most cases most likely are not even aware they do this.

Me for one would love to see statistics on how many horses, just like Bob the Builder EC Poland 2017 and Axel Z 5* Germany 2018 died in relation to MIM fences. Maybe those boys are it or maybe there are more.

But it is not like anybody in the sport is likely to spill it so to say when things go bad on i.e. collapsible fences. Which in my case makes me suspicious.

Leave a comment:

• CSU92
    replied
    Originally posted by Blugal View Post
    I object to course designers using frangibles as a justification for poor or downright dangerous course design (e.g. Burghley 2019).

I object to anyone using frangibles that have not been extensively tested and designed to do the job they are supposed to (e.g. David O'Connor's design of a table; the deformable foam logs that were a fad for a few years about 5-8 years ago).

I heard from local course designers that the cost of the frangibles is large and hits the organizers, but it also requires a crew at each frangible jump that is educated and available to fix them if they are deployed. We are short on volunteers anyway, so the organizers look at using other types of jumps that don't require frangible technology. I don't know if that's an overall positive or negative.

Having said all that, if frangible fences can help prevent deaths in our sport, I'm all for it. Let's just do it intelligently, without complete knee-jerk reactions and with expert input.
    So from this I see concerns with the available devices and problems managing them. New systems need to be developed.

The frangible pin was developed as you suggest with engineers and experts, I believe. We now have had 20 years of testing. The problem in 2000 was " We have all these cheap utility poles that we make jumps out of. Design us something that will enable us to keep using these utility poles but make them less likely to flip a horse" . Why not just build out of something other than utility poles?

What is your objection to the DOC design or the Prologs you mentioned? What sort of testing do you want to see. I know that U of Kentucky has worked on some testing protocols and crash test horse dummies have been developed.

It looks like the prologs actually might have prevented some horse falls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUfte-rCsAE

I'm pretty sure I saw a bounce down into water like this at Middleburg HT where an Olympian crashed and broke her pelvis under her fallen horse..

Leave a comment:

• endlessclimb
    replied
    I am not opposed to MIMs.

But.

I don't believe it's the crux of the problem.

I don't think riders should have to personally fund them with money raising efforts etc. It should be handled by the respective governing bodies, while cutting budget for other frill stuff (do we REALLY need flowers by the dressage arena? Do we REALLY need all the decor by the other fences?). If they need to raise the fees X amount for each person, fine.

I believe the crux of the problem is dangerous riding. Otherwise, how could certain riders make it their whole careers without a serious rotational? I know I know, "there but by the grace of god, go I." But it does beg the question.

So. Sure, put MIMs in (PS, do they have a competitor in this particular field?). But make it a monster penalty if activated, so that they don't encourage dangerous riding. In addition, if a MIMs device is activated X times in a competition, the CD needs to be looked at thoroughly - did they make the fence too tricky, too unreadable?

Leave a comment:

• enjoytheride
    replied
    Originally posted by eventingmania View Post

Actually frangible pins and MIMs as well as rolltop fences do encourage bad and "dare devilish" kind of riding. The statistics already proved this. Also proving this theory are the many videos used in marketing especially the MIMs that shows extreme poor riding and the "look they got saved by the MIMs" comment attached to it.

For sure we need to work on safety measures but the bottom line is riders need to know how to ride safe and better and also be presented to fair built courses.
    Correlation does not always equal causation. You could say the same thing about air vests. It's likely that other factors result in the increase in rider falls. I don't see how marketing videos are proof that people ride with poor riding on purpose. They're just videos of the pins being activated to show that they decrease rotations. Several of the videos I saw resulted in elimination anyway, and I think the point was that they still hit hard but they didn't rotate. I can't fathom that a rider would ride in such a manner toward what is still a pretty solid big fence.

I think safety pins are one part of reducing falls.

Leave a comment:

• CSU92
    replied
    Originally posted by Marigold View Post

You are right that more analysis is needed to determine the causation behind these statistics. A leading theory is as you say above: frangible technology is being deployed on difficult fences, which themselves carry a high fall rate.

However, the other important thing to note is that frangible technology is not necessarily designed to prevent a horse fall, but a rotational horse fall. The technology is designed to bear a significant amount of weight, up to a point where the horse is essentially already beginning to rotate (and thus place the majority of its weight on the fence). The fence then gives, and provides "release" to the horse's current direction of momentum. Sometimes that may allow the horse to regain their footing, but often it simply breaks the angle of rotation and the horse ends up falling onto their shoulder or side. It is a much less dangerous type of fall, which is the primary goal, but the deployment of the technology can still align with a horse fall because the horse was already falling when the technology deployed.
    I think it was 2002 when I walked a course with a newly pinned vertical white gate. Phillips said it was pinned to prevent the rotational fall but would not prevent the horse fall. This obviously fails the directive of the 2000 Safety Report. "prevent horse falls". That could be forgiven as it was only two years later but now we are 20 years later.

I agree that pins are inadequate at this point and that new solutions need to be found. It would be interesting to find out how much the whole pin development and deployment program has cost as a percentage to the overall cost of course building expenses. How much does a giant carved squirrel cost vs a simple pinned open oxer?

Moving on from pins would address the many issues raised in these posts about reliability and horses still falling at pinned jumps.

Leave a comment:

• eventingmania
    replied
    Originally posted by OverandOnward View Post
    Why "frangibles will increase reckless riding" is *not* a valid argument:

I don't think helmets and safety vests have increased dangerous riding, have they?

Most riders have enough sense not to go charging at a fence with an "if I miss, it will fall and save me" attitude. (I hope.)

For the few riders who are more daredevils than they are riders, dangerous riding to frangibles will be obvious to observers, including event officials. Also, a rider will stand out statistically if they trigger the release far more often than most riders. (That stat needs to be tracked along with many others.)

Rider qualifications, disqualifications, yellow cards, pulling off course, and accountability generally is another discussion, but holding the eejits accountable does have to be implemented along with the safety technology, to make safety truly effective. Safety technology is important, but it can't be responsible for people with no sense.

Also. Not only is "riders will be more reckless" not true of most riders, but it has nothing to do with the general need for frangibles for the majority of riders who don't ride recklessly.

For the few eejit riders who test the limits of safety, the cure is *not* allowing them to kill themselves on course because we didn't deploy frangibles to save them. Rather, hold them accountable for their excesses, if they are regularly busting the frangibles like show jumps.

The real eejits have to be pulled off the course, and if they can't learn better, off the sport. If there is more accountability for reckless riding, and therefore less of it, then we can't blame frangibles for increasing reckless riding. IMO
    Actually frangible pins and MIMs as well as rolltop fences do encourage bad and "dare devilish" kind of riding. The statistics already proved this. Also proving this theory are the many videos used in marketing especially the MIMs that shows extreme poor riding and the "look they got saved by the MIMs" comment attached to it.

For sure we need to work on safety measures but the bottom line is riders need to know how to ride safe and better and also be presented to fair built courses.

Leave a comment:

• OverandOnward
    replied
    Why "frangibles will increase reckless riding" is *not* a valid argument:

I don't think helmets and safety vests have increased dangerous riding, have they?

Most riders have enough sense not to go charging at a fence with an "if I miss, it will fall and save me" attitude. (I hope.)

For the few riders who are more daredevils than they are riders, dangerous riding to frangibles will be obvious to observers, including event officials. Also, a rider will stand out statistically if they trigger the release far more often than most riders. (That stat needs to be tracked along with many others.)

Rider qualifications, disqualifications, yellow cards, pulling off course, and accountability generally is another discussion, but holding the eejits accountable does have to be implemented along with the safety technology, to make safety truly effective. Safety technology is important, but it can't be responsible for people with no sense.

Also. Not only is "riders will be more reckless" not true of most riders, but it has nothing to do with the general need for frangibles for the majority of riders who don't ride recklessly.

For the few eejit riders who test the limits of safety, the cure is *not* allowing them to kill themselves on course because we didn't deploy frangibles to save them. Rather, hold them accountable for their excesses, if they are regularly busting the frangibles like show jumps.

The real eejits have to be pulled off the course, and if they can't learn better, off the sport. If there is more accountability for reckless riding, and therefore less of it, then we can't blame frangibles for increasing reckless riding. IMO
    Last edited by OverandOnward; Mar. 5, 2020, 10:44 PM. Reason: phrasing for readability

Leave a comment:

Working...
X