Sport Horse Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

How is ML so good at dressage ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the mare sound after hitting those fences?

Comment

Yes, some movements are double coefficients.

Comment

The mare has very nice hind end movement, she does very nice changes, and she almost always halts square. Her frame is consistent throughout.

As mentioned, ML rides an accurate test and the movements themselves are usually very technically correct.

If you leave your personal opinions behind, t's hard to watch her tests with the mare and find many reasons to take marks away.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Comedy View Post

Let's not pretend ML doesn't have enough XC experience. She has 132 FEI starts at eventing, 12 at 5*L (previously CCI4*) level. She's a Category A rider. She has plenty of XC miles.

Just much fewer as of late, and I don't think she ever learned how to let the horse think for itself. But she's had plenty of mileage in which to learn that.
          I've always struggled with the idea of how someone could be a part-time upper level eventer and expect to have a solid partnership on XC - it seems to me that your point is well-taken, and that if ML really wants to make a go of it with this horse, she ought to be looking for a more consistent schedule to smooth out that XC trip. Her comments after the XC suggest she realized that after it didn't go so well, but time will tell when we see what they do this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Benchmark View Post
            The mare has very nice hind end movement, she does very nice changes, and she almost always halts square. Her frame is consistent throughout.

As mentioned, ML rides an accurate test and the movements themselves are usually very technically correct.

If you leave your personal opinions behind, t's hard to watch her tests with the mare and find many reasons to take marks away.
            I don’t think anyone has done that. I think the OP is trying to understand how a person can lay down a Dressage test like that and be an absolute train wreck on x-country where more times than not result in people cringing.

Comment

Eventing has always been about the contrast between what makes a good dressage horse compared to what makes a good cross country horse. The theory is that the better a horse's natural inclination to dressage the worse its natural inclination to run cross county and visa versa. For example, a horse with a great ground covering, efficient gallop tends to not have the very best movement in the dressage ring. It is also said that great dressage horses tend to not show the initiative and independent thinking needed to be a great XC horse.

The art of eventing is finding a horse then improving the areas that are not its natural strengths to create a complete picture.

It used to be we all rode TBs who had innate endurance and natural abitlies on XC and somehow figured out how to get a dressage test out of them. With the move away from the long format, as well in changes to the weight of the dressage phase, we shifted the metric toward horses with better and better natural dressage skills who were less innately skilled around XC. There are quite a few modern Ky3DE winners with great dressage who galloped around XC by braille, but they found the minimum needed to get the job done.

There has always been a concern/theory that pushing the focus toward dressage would create more horses with less innate XC skills which would introduce more dangerous situations on the XC track.

So, to answer your question why is she so good at dressage I would tell you the starting place is she is selecting horses with very strong innate dressage abilities. RF Scandalous is mostly Holsteiner breeding with no blood close. This is not the prefer breeding profile of most UL horses today as there is still a desire for some blood up close--precisely to get some XC advantages for them. She has inside access to those types of breeding lines that produce strong dressage-able horses.

I think part of what you are seeing with her on XC is she is using her considerable skills as a jumper rider to make up for what her strong dressage-preferred bred horses lack on XC. The key here is that instead of teaching them the initiative they need for themselves they are taught to be obedient and rely on her for what they lack. Her horses go on XC only as well as she is riding that day. I don't know of another UL rider in the world that trains this way. While it may work for her I think it is incredibly dangerous and as far as I'm concerned, so far, she's been very lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
                Eventing has always been about the contrast between what makes a good dressage horse compared to what makes a good cross country horse. The theory is that the better a horse's natural inclination to dressage the worse its natural inclination to run cross county and visa versa. For example, a horse with a great ground covering, efficient gallop tends to not have the very best movement in the dressage ring. It is also said that great dressage horses tend to not show the initiative and independent thinking needed to be a great XC horse.

The art of eventing is finding a horse then improving the areas that are not its natural strengths to create a complete picture.

It used to be we all rode TBs who had innate endurance and natural abitlies on XC and somehow figured out how to get a dressage test out of them. With the move away from the long format, as well in changes to the weight of the dressage phase, we shifted the metric toward horses with better and better natural dressage skills who were less innately skilled around XC. There are quite a few modern Ky3DE winners with great dressage who galloped around XC by braille, but they found the minimum needed to get the job done.

There has always been a concern/theory that pushing the focus toward dressage would create more horses with less innate XC skills which would introduce more dangerous situations on the XC track.

So, to answer your question why is she so good at dressage I would tell you the starting place is she is selecting horses with very strong innate dressage abilities. RF Scandalous is mostly Holsteiner breeding with no blood close. This is not the prefer breeding profile of most UL horses today as there is still a desire for some blood up close--precisely to get some XC advantages for them. She has inside access to those types of breeding lines that produce strong dressage-able horses.

I think part of what you are seeing with her on XC is she is using her considerable skills as a jumper rider to make up for what her strong dressage-preferred bred horses lack on XC. The key here is that instead of teaching them the initiative they need for themselves they are taught to be obedient and rely on her for what they lack. Her horses go on XC only as well as she is riding that day. I don't know of another UL rider in the world that trains this way. While it may work for her I think it is incredibly dangerous and as far as I'm concerned, so far, she's been very lucky.
                Well said.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for everyone who posted thoughtful replies. It's very enlightening. I really don't have a bias against ML, it's just crazy to me how she seems to pop up out of nowhere every now and then and just kill at these upper level competitions then seemingly disappear again. (I know she works very hard and rides even when I don't see her, but you know what I mean).

I feel like as a spectator i'd like to watch more closely about the accuracy of the tests being ridden. I know that's a big deal in the lower levels, same as which movements have coefficients.

Thanks again !

Comment

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

I don’t think anyone has done that. I think the OP is trying to understand how a person can lay down a Dressage test like that and be an absolute train wreck on x-country where more times than not result in people cringing.
                    Not intended as a defensive post for ML, just a direct, matter of fact response to the OP's original question which specifically asked about her ability to perform in the dressage.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison View Post

I've always struggled with the idea of how someone could be a part-time upper level eventer and expect to have a solid partnership on XC - it seems to me that your point is well-taken, and that if ML really wants to make a go of it with this horse, she ought to be looking for a more consistent schedule to smooth out that XC trip.
                      You all had better check out where your god has been all winter...'cause Michael Jung's been dabbling in the dark arts and travelling the European indoor circuit with his showjumpers. According to your logic, his XC will now turn to crap.

You learn from watching great showjumping rounds that it isn't about speed, it's about efficiency. The smoother and tighter the turns, the less interrupted the canter rhythm, the fewer pulls you take, the faster your time will be. ML did a great job of this until the distance didn't come up the way she wanted on the hill. That impacted the related distance right after and then she was still struggling to get organized and back on pace the fence after that. IMHO, the 3rd miss probably didn't need to happen, but once she missed the 1st, the 2nd was bound pretty inevitable.

Following that, the horse took over, grabbed the bridle hard, and started to run off with her some, which she was actually able to get distances out of pretty well for the rest of the course. However, she couldn't turn that freight train when she tried. She was also clearly struggling to slow the horse down at all and her arms were about ready to fall off.

Maybe if everyone on these boards, etc. didn't insist on tearing her a new a*shole for using the bit and bridle she feels works best for her horse, she wouldn't use a softer one and have "haul on her horse's face", which you of course hate too. Hmmm? (Just speculating, but not impossible).

Comment

Originally posted by Puffergrrl View Post

You all had better check out where your god has been all winter...'cause Michael Jung's been dabbling in the dark arts and travelling the European indoor circuit with his showjumpers. According to your logic, his XC will now turn to crap.

You learn from watching great showjumping rounds that it isn't about speed, it's about efficiency. The smoother and tighter the turns, the less interrupted the canter rhythm, the fewer pulls you take, the faster your time will be. ML did a great job of this until the distance didn't come up the way she wanted on the hill. That impacted the related distance right after and then she was still struggling to get organized and back on pace the fence after that. IMHO, the 3rd miss probably didn't need to happen, but once she missed the 1st, the 2nd was bound pretty inevitable.

Following that, the horse took over, grabbed the bridle hard, and started to run off with her some, which she was actually able to get distances out of pretty well for the rest of the course. However, she couldn't turn that freight train when she tried. She was also clearly struggling to slow the horse down at all and her arms were about ready to fall off.

Maybe if everyone on these boards, etc. didn't insist on tearing her a new a*shole for using the bit and bridle she feels works best for her horse, she wouldn't use a softer one and have "haul on her horse's face", which you of course hate too. Hmmm? (Just speculating, but not impossible).
                        US ALL are aware that MJ showjumps He also does it in the same way he rides xc, with soft, forward and forgiving riding

QFP

Also, I disagree. There was no "fewer pulls you take" on this ride. It was pull pull pull rip and ride...from the get go'.
                        Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Did that post actually happen? I get some horses might (who am I to question) need a hardware store in their mouth but when it’s routine? And yes MJ shows jumpers. He also shows dressage. We think he’s amazing because he gives a great ride no matter the discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

US ALL are aware that MJ showjumps He also does it in the same way he rides xc, with soft, forward and forgiving riding

QFP

Also, I disagree. There was no "fewer pulls you take" on this ride. It was pull pull pull rip and ride...from the get go'.
                            WELL SOME OF US consider sitting back early in the air and slipping the reins less of a soft, forward, and forgiving ride and more of a great way to plant your horse's butt squarely on the back bar of a 1.50m oxer or get yourself stuck in a triple combination. But worship false idols if you must. I will give it to him...he's gotten a LOT better this year. I believe he's been working with Ludgar Beerbaum or Marcus Ehning they've been giving him some extra horses to ride & show.

And actually, I don't think I saw ML pull at all until she saw no distance coming up out of stride on the hill. The horse was allowed to freely canter forward and turns were asked for with an opening rein. I would have compared her round to that of the lady earlier-on with all the pink until the hill. But you dislike her, so you see something you don't like.

Comment

WELL SOME OF US consider sitting back early in the air and slipping the reins less of a soft, forward, and forgiving ride and more of a great way to plant your horse's butt squarely on the back bar of a 1.50m oxer or get yourself stuck in a triple combination. But worship false idols if you must. I will give it to him...he's gotten a LOT better this year. I believe he's been working with Ludgar Beerbaum or Marcus Ehning they've been giving him some extra horses to ride & show.

And actually, I don't think I saw ML pull at all until she saw no distance coming up out of stride on the hill. The horse was allowed to freely canter forward and turns were asked for with an opening rein. I would have compared her round to that of the lady earlier-on with all the pink until the hill. But you dislike her, so you see something you don't like.
                              Um..... when are triple combinations on a X-Country course? So...... not sure what your point is? Yes MJ is infinitely better than ML in eventing. Not a false idol just fact. What’s your hang up?

Comment

You must have watched a different round than I did.

"Do what you can't do"

Comment

Do we know who ML trains with these days? I know she used to train with Karen O'Connor and dear ole Packy (ain't that a juxtaposition ). She is based out of Frederick, MD but I haven't heard about who she'd be training with or seen her trailers out and about.

Comment

False Idol?

Michael Jung:
                                    Most FEI wins in a season:
                                    2019 he was third
                                    13 - 2009, 2014, 2015
                                    12 - 2012
                                    11 -2013

Olympic (Double) Champ
                                    World Champ(at the same time as Olympic)
                                    Multiple European Champion
                                    Mulitple 5 star wins

Down to earth and the nicest guy ever, grooms his own horse at 5*.

This man is a real idol.

NOTHING, ML would know anything about. At all.
                                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

“She saw no distance coming up out of stride on the hill” - umm, no. Do you know how to ride xc? She didn’t see a distance because she came up the mound with no engine. If you listen to the live commentary from her own coach you will hear...a moment of silence, and then “well, she came up with no power, and we’ve been saying all along you need a motor up that mound.” That was a mistake that many lowly amateurs could see coming, and the round was a train wreck after that.
                                      as to why so many of us are so quick to jump on her about hardware? There are multiple photos of her on course with multiple horses with blood on their mouths. If you knew anything about eventing at the international level you would understand how unconvincing it is to compare Michael Jung with ML.
                                      The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by tbchick84 View Post

You must have watched a different round than I did.
                                        this was literally my exact thought.

Puffergrrl MJ is hardly a false god. I just ..... do you watch MJ and watch the. ML and think her XC riding style is superior? I don’t think anyone was saying she rides XC poorly because she originated in show jumpers. As in, show jumpers can also be excellent XC riders. ML is not one of those people. She’s a train wreck on XC waiting to happen. Her poor horses.
                                        Another Adult Amature and her OTTB: https://eventingottb.wordpress.com

Repurposed Racehorses
                                        https://repurposedracehorses.weebly.com/

Comment

• Taking personal feelings and emotions out of the argument completely, there are some factual problems here.

Actually he competes in showjumping year-round, just like he events year-round on multiple horses. Definitely not an apples to apples comparison considering he has 45 FEI eventing starts on his 2019 record vs ML's 1. Disregarding personal opinion regarding ability or talent, it's indisputable that he gets far more XC mileage despite competing in multiple disciplines.

Again, to be fair and factual, she's using the same XC bit on the horse that she's been using for years. Easy enough to confirm via photos. The only difference is that she's added black bit guards covering the corners of the mouth.
                                          http://the900facebookpony.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X