Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Saddle "Year"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle "Year"

So, I am in the market for a new saddle. This is actually the first time I have the funds to possibly order a custom/new saddle, and I am getting fairly overwhelmed on making the right choice.

My last purchase I had low four-figures and found a lovely Amerigo monoflap. Looking at the saddle year was not even in my radar, as a first saddle purchase. I just noticed the leather quality, seat size, and tree size. Those checked my boxes. Fast forward, several years (6 to be exact) this saddle is actually an '03 model, doesn't quite fit my current horse, particularly due to not being reflocked and widening over-time.

I have a few options. I have had an Amerigo fitter look at the saddle and give me instructions on to whom and what specification to indicate to have it reflocked, get new billets, etc. It would "only" be a few hundred, but definitely considerably cheaper than buying a new saddle.

Or, I can find a newer used or new saddle. I want to be more educated with this saddle purchase because I can spend a considerable amount of money and two, I want my horse to be comfortable.

I think my current mind-set is that I would spend an indefinite amount of money for this silly horse if I can be convinced that it would make a difference, but I would also spend an indefinite amount until I couldn't afford to feed my own self and that's not smart.

So my inquiry is, in something like a saddle purchase, like a car purchase, do you look at the year compared to wear & tear and use? Or is the saddle year, more of a consideration than I'm currently giving it? For instance, I have a particular brand that has a '16, '18, or I could get something brand-new each $1,000 increase in price. Both used appear to have very little wear and are the same tree size.

This is a big enough investment for me, that I want to be very conscious of what I'm getting. But, I'm a little kid in a candy shop as this is the first time I've been able to consider getting brand-new high-end and spend upwards to 5/6k if convinced.

All wool flocked saddles need periodic reflocking. The flocking packs down. Did your fitter say the saddle would fit again if it was reflocked? If so that is your obvious sensible solution if you still like riding in it and if it's a wool flocked saddle.

Otherwise as has been said many times on COTH, buying a brand new semi custom saddle from a rep is a crap shoot because the reps are often not that skilled at assessing fit or will lie to make a sale.

If you want to shop second hand have a good independent fitter do back tracings first and show you how to use them. That way you don't waste so much time with saddles that will never fit. If you buy wool you will likely get it reflocked or at least tweaked after you buy it.

Reflocking
    ​​my wool saddles costs me about $300.

As far as year versus wear, obviously wear is what matters as long as you like the style of saddle. I lucked into a 10 year old Passier that was as new with just shelf wear for half of retail. It's now almost 20 years old and in wonderful shape, recently restuffed and new billets.

The current high end French foam saddles seem to have a shorter life span as the calfskin wears out

​​​​

Comment

If you love your existing saddle, I would have it repaired and re-flocked. I spent a few hundred dollars fixing up a used Antares monoflap that was of similar vintage a few years ago. I got it from a friend as I'd always loved it, and had some repairs done and had a fitter out to make some custom shims for my horse to make it an ideal fit. It was not wool so could not be flocked, but needed minimal adjustments (shim on one side until the horse built up muscle). It was money very well spent.

When I replaced that saddle ( with no $$$ loss) as I needed something more versatile (i.e. to play more seriously in the h/j world), I, like you, was willing to spend $$$ money if necessary. After lots of internet searching, and chatting with people who had ordered custom/bought new...I eliminated it as a possibility. It was simply too easy to buy used at a fraction of the price, rather than pay a premium to hope and pray that it fit properly. Buying used allowed me to try the saddle that I was going to buy, rather than speculate about feel and fit for both human and horse. Now, this is easy for me to say as my horse wasn't a particularly tough fit. I was trickier, but still found lots of options.

As a bonus, when I realized I needed something slightly different 3 years later, I sold the saddle and bought a slightly newer used saddle. I was out $400 total in that transaction, and that includes the shipping/custom charges for a saddle I tried and send back.

The potential for losing money when saddle dealing is an important component to me. Life can be unpredictable, and you don't want to stick with something that isn't right down the line just because it cost you $$$, or take a significant loss that then limits your replacement budget. The horse that the saddles referenced above were bought for was retired at age 9, just months after I had bought that final saddle. Fortunately, the saddle has been altered to fit another horse I am riding regularly, but it could have gone another way. And then I've have been looking at a significant loss on resale if I'd purchase new. As a used purchase that was a good deal, I'm confident I could resell for its purchase price even 18 months later.

Bottom line - I would completely exhaust all used options before buying new. Talk to friends, try their saddles, get a sense of what you like...and then hunt one up.

Comment

I'd have your Amerigo reflocked and replace the billets. Why mess around if you like it? IMO, the actual age of a saddle has little bearing on its value; what's important to me is if it fits my horse and puts me in a balanced position.

I have also found that spending more doesn't necessarily get you those two qualities. It really depends on what YOU are looking for and what works for YOUR horse.

Personally, I can think of much better things to spend $5k-$6K on than a saddle. And, if you do and you don't like the saddle (which unfortunately happens more often than you think), you've lost at least 25% in depreciation on that nice new saddle immediately. I long ago made the decision that I would only buy a saddle I could ride in and then I would buy THAT saddle, because there is no guarantee that the saddle you order will fit the same as the demo.

Two cases in point. Friend #1 tried her trainer's saddle. It was perfect. She ordered the saddle with very similar dimensions, custom. It hurt her back so much she couldn't ride in it. Friend #2 tried a saddle she loved. Imported one from the UK and it still cost $4K. Hated it once she had it on her horse and road in it longer. Bought a second saddle (used) which worked better but still not great. Has both of them now on consignment. She was told the $4K saddle (Stubben) isn't popular enough in the US and will likely bring about $1500 on the used market. The other saddle, which she bought used for $1500 will likely sell for more, but she won't break even.

The two most expensive saddles that I've owned -- Schleese and Stackhouse -- ultimately didn't work for me. Luckily I bought them both used and I was able to sell them for what I paid.

Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I think saddles are similar to cars in that when you buy new, you are going to take a big hit if you need to turn around and sell in a short time frame.

I think saddles are different from cars in that they really don't change that much from year to year in terms of features or function and while design elements may help to distinguish a '19 from a '13, the actual model year is largely irrelevant if the saddle has been decently maintained.

I am in the camp that says only buy the exact saddle that works for you and your horse when you test ride in it.

Comment

Actually saddles models do change from year to year depending on the brand. In addition if they are not massed produced they all will feel different because they are hand made.
            Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
            www.thesaddlefits.com
            Society of Master Saddlers Qualified Fitter

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you. This actually does help a lot. I have 99% convinced myself not to buy new.

One of the brands that I've been working with has a few used options, and will work with me to check the fit. I feel more comfortable with this, than buying from an individual seller and hoping for the best. I'll be able to sit in the exact saddle, take it on trial, etc.

I did call and leave a message with the Amerigo/Contact to have my current reflocked and want to discuss my options. I do like the shape, flaps, and the saddle from the outside looks stunning. But, it's not the most comfortable to ride in. Aka the points of my seat bones get fairly sore. So, I'm curious as to whether she can also add some more "cushion" there as well.

Thank you so much for your responses and being so patient with my questions!

Comment

Are you sure the saddle seat is wide enough to support your seat bones properly?

Comment

Originally posted by AskMyAccountant.17 View Post

I did call and leave a message with the Amerigo/Contact to have my current reflocked and want to discuss my options. I do like the shape, flaps, and the saddle from the outside looks stunning. But, it's not the most comfortable to ride in. Aka the points of my seat bones get fairly sore. So, I'm curious as to whether she can also add some more "cushion" there as well.
                  If the saddle is not comfortable for you, that's another issue. When I was recovering from an accident, and spent a lot of time at the walk, I found I needed to add a seat saver to my saddle. Not a perfect solution by any means, but it helped me stay comfortable. Here's a link to the models I tried. You wouldn't want to compete using one but these are both amazingly comfortable: https://equineink.com/2018/08/06/aca...in-or-gel-out/

Comment

Based on all the horror stories I've read on COTH with new custom saddles, I'd be very wary of going that route! Just way too much money to spend on something that will instantly depreciate, and might not even fit or be able to fit you and your horse.

I've also got an Amerigo of around the same age. A couple years ago, my independent fitter (who also does warranty work for Amerigo) took a look at it. He ended up pulling it apart and finding a broken gullet, which was replaced, as well as some flocking adjustments. He did mention that at one point, Amerigo reps (particularly in the US) were telling customers that they could adjust the trees as wide or as narrow as they wanted, repeatedly. This lead to lots of problems with broken trees. I don't believe mine was ever adjusted but yet, here I had a broken gullet. I would suggest you have your Amerigo contact inspect your saddle for any signs of this, due to its age and it being around during that time period. It was not expensive to get this done (and they might already have it pulled apart to reflock).

My fitter also told me that otherwise, the saddle was in fantastic shape and would last me forever. It's not calfskin, so the leather is sturdy.

I'm interested to hear about the seat, and what you find out about them adding some cushioning. I don't find mine uncomfortable in general, but on occasion I've had the same problem as you (probably when I was rehabbing and walking for up to 45 min at a time). I've also heard the Thinline seat saver is really nice, and might help with that.
                    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by SolarFlare View Post

I've also got an Amerigo of around the same age. A couple years ago, my independent fitter (who also does warranty work for Amerigo) took a look at it. He ended up pulling it apart and finding a broken gullet, which was replaced, as well as some flocking adjustments. He did mention that at one point, Amerigo reps (particularly in the US) were telling customers that they could adjust the trees as wide or as narrow as they wanted, repeatedly. This lead to lots of .
                      My fitter told me that a saddle can be adjusted 2-3 times but only 1/2 a size at a time. After that you can damage the tree. That's one of the reasons why I like Kieffer saddles with the resin tree. Those can be adjusted multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogie View Post

My fitter told me that a saddle can be adjusted 2-3 times but only 1/2 a size at a time. After that you can damage the tree. That's one of the reasons why I like Kieffer saddles with the resin tree. Those can be adjusted multiple times.
                        That's pretty much what he said the guidelines are now - up or down one (as in - medium to med-wide or to med-narrow). Previously some reps were telling customers they could go way up or down - like med-narrow to wide.

Comment

As someone who is cursed with always needing an odd size or configuration and has to custom order by force not choice, I definitely encourage people to see if you can find a used option or repair what you have in a way that fits!! If you buy used, you know EXACTLY what you are getting, it's not a crapshoot. I've done custom orders with Voltaire, CWD, Der Dau, and Charles Owen, and three out of four of those orders showed up wrong and had to be remade (my helmet that I ordered showed up wrong three times . . . special!). One of my saddles showed up in the wrong seat size due to a glitch in the ordering app - my order paperwork and electronic receipt said one thing, but on the factory's end what came through was different. I waited 12 weeks only to have to wait for a reorder (they did expedite and get it to me in 5 weeks and gave me a loaner to use, but still!!). So, if you can narrow down exactly what you want and hunt for it, it is a better way to go.

Comment

• Original Poster

Further update, I will be looking for a newer "used" saddle rather than having my current saddle adjusted. I spoke with the Repair/Saddle Dr (who if anyone needs, I will send her contact. She gave me such an in-depth response) Because of its age she did not want to mess with the tree which needed to be brought in 1-1.5 CM to fit my current horse.

To those wondering about the seat, she also said that because of the way this particular brand uses a foam and leather cover over the seats its not recommended to replace/adjust.

I'll keep you updated if I learn anything new. I think I'm going in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by AskMyAccountant.17 View Post
                              Further update, I will be looking for a newer "used" saddle rather than having my current saddle adjusted. I spoke with the Repair/Saddle Dr (who if anyone needs, I will send her contact. She gave me such an in-depth response) Because of its age she did not want to mess with the tree which needed to be brought in 1-1.5 CM to fit my current horse.

To those wondering about the seat, she also said that because of the way this particular brand uses a foam and leather cover over the seats its not recommended to replace/adjust.

I'll keep you updated if I learn anything new. I think I'm going in the right direction.
                              Thanks for updating OP - good luck with your saddle search!

Comment

Originally posted by SolarFlare View Post

That's pretty much what he said the guidelines are now - up or down one (as in - medium to med-wide or to med-narrow). Previously some reps were telling customers they could go way up or down - like med-narrow to wide.
                                My independent saddle fitter is against adjusting the wither gullets of a tree by putting the saddle in a press, which Schleese reps among others do constantly. She thinks it compromises the tree.

You buy the wither gullet that fits your horse and if needed you can stuff up the shoulders a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

My independent saddle fitter is against adjusting the wither gullets of a tree by putting the saddle in a press, which Schleese reps among others do constantly. She thinks it compromises the tree.

You buy the wither gullet that fits your horse and if needed you can stuff up the shoulders a bit.
                                  I think one of the big issues is that not all fitters are skilled at using the press and you can end up with uneven-ness. I have never had a traditional tree adjusted but I bought a saddle that had been widened and it was fine, but my fitter told me things can go quite wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                  X