Sport Horse Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Selecting horses for our Young Riders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting horses for our Young Riders

I have been reading the other thread with great interest, but thought I would start a new thread on the topic of managing our Young Riders who are hell bent on moving up.

We have a 16 year old YR that is pushing for
    NAJYRC. She's riding a steady, reliable 14 year old gelding that she has taken from BN to Training successfully in 3 years. They have moved up together; she had a few years of jumping experience on other horses, but trained him to jump and then started eventing on him. They don't move up a level until it becomes easy for them and they are winning regularly.

She trains with a very good local jump trainer on the trainer's assorted advanced and young talented horses weekly, has a GP dressage trainer, and does clinics with UL event trainers whenever possible. All the UL trainers they have ridden with really like the horse and think he is probably talented enough for Prelim, but not sure if he will make time, although he is making time at training. He is a horse that has occasionally used his own judgement when unsure about his safety. For example, he refused a more intimidating than normal ditch at novice, but with further experience has moved forward to confidently do ditches. But he's definitely thinking out there on course.

The bond and communication between our rider and horse is excellent; they are truly a team. A pretty equal team, he loves to show as much as she does, and he is all business and focused.

We are thinking our rider will be safer moving up to prelim (when and if they are ready, per our judgement and her trainers) on this horse, rather than getting a "new to her" experienced prelim horse.

We are struggling with this, and keep asking her if she will please switch to dressage.

As exciting as it is to watch their amazing partnership, we of course are worried about them moving up to prelim.

One thing I am wondering is if a pro should perhaps show him prelim at least one time before our rider does? They will probably spend some time at a pro's eventing barn next summer for some more intense training, so we will discuss this with the trainer, but any thoughts any of you have are welcome.

Christie Wishlove, did you come across anything in your study regarding this situation?

I am also wondering if a teenager with this level of experience could slowly start bringing along a nice young horse for the future, or if purchasing an experienced UL horse would likely still be safer. She has already taken a TB off the track and trained basic flatwork and small jumps. She rides regularly and really puts the time in, and is a pretty good dressage rider.

If this horse is competent, consistent, and has so far been a confidence builder, and the rider is schooling the questions at home easily, then this sounds like the perfect horse to take the rider Prelim with. One a % scale, how often are the horse and rider "stopping." You mention the one time. Was this one time a year ago, or one time last week, plus multiple times before that? You want a horse that the rider feels confident on. A horse with history at the level, that the rider is still nervous on, will be less of an aid than a safe-minded current horse. However, if the horse has a spotted record, doesn't have the confidence himself over fences at Prelim, or the rider is "unsure" of whether the horse is going to "go," or not, calls for a change in rider/and or horse long-term or temporarily.

The worst options would be to 1. Send the pair out without having schooled enough questions at home 2. Dropping a very competent horse's confidence that very could well be a perfect match. Meaning, several of these good minded horses would very much be good move-up horses with just a few pro-rides or under the watchful eye of a trainer.

Can the pair move up to Modified first? Can they run a Prelim CT. There are so many inbetween steps to insure the horse and rider have the best options for success. I don;t think it's an, "ok we're good at Training, now lets move-up and see how it goes."

I'm trying to remember the qualifications isn't 18 the last year you can run the 1*? I don't believe you HAVE to run the long format before as a qualifier anymore correct? So even now, rider spends the spring schooling questions, running a modified, moves up this summer? She has all fall to get some qualifiers, maybe run a long-format 1* next October/November 2020? Then you have Spring 2021 to sharpen your skills to be competitive to go rock YRs! That actually seems like a perfect timeline for a rider that is currently successful at Training level to move-up safely. In the inbetween, there are so many exciting speed bumps to get to YRs. She still needs to run her first 1*, she can go run a long-format, etc. etc.
    Last edited by AskMyAccountant.17; Dec. 13, 2019, 12:52 PM. Reason: (Please excuse my brain, I am inferring to the new 2** level)

Comment

What do trainers say about the scope of steady, reliable 14yo with respect to Prelim (or bigger) fences? Time is one thing, but scope is another. I know of a kind of similar story, the YR did end up doing NAJYRC, but it always looked to me like her horse was maxed out at the level with nothing to spare.

Comment

I'm with Groom&Taxi regarding scope being more important than time for horses. To qualify for 2019 jr riders had to be no more than 75 seconds exceeding optimum time XC. I watched a pair that the horse just didn't have the scope for 2* but generally made time. The horse tried their heart out but it was clear it was over faced.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughtful answers.

We think he has the scope for Prelim but will max out there. He's jumped a fair amount of Prelim elements in schooling already, no problem. He only ran 2 Trainings last season, so we have a whole season of Training planned for next year and maybe a move up to a Modified at the end of the season, if all goes well. Our rider will be 18 in 2021. I will have to read up on the rules. It's very confusing to me.

They had a great Novice year in 2018, and our rider was the 2018 2nd place Junior Novice rider in her Area. Fixed the ditch problem from 2017, and went clear XC at almost all the shows.

They did their first 2019 show of the season at Training, and had one refusal on XC at a fence, rider error. They got through the fairly easy for Training water complexes, but trotted through. He was out of commission June - Aug due to a surgery. Did a Novice in August as his comeback event and came in 1st, finishing on his dressage score. His last show of the season, moved back up to Training. One stop on XC, at a log that looked like a drop into water, but actually had a little place to land before the water. He jumped it on the 2nd attempt. Jumping into water is their issue; they both need to build their confidence, and she knows they have to conquer this at Training level, or they won't get to Prelim. He always schools water right before a show really well, but then at the last show, our rider saw that water jump on course, and started flapping her wings and probably caused the refusal! They also need a little work on banks, but everything else is solid. They will have an occasional rail in stadium, but he's easily jumping the Training jumps.

One of her friends just built a little water complex in her pasture. I have already mentioned it to my husband a few times, but I don't think he's taking me seriously yet!

They are a very confident pair together, and I noticed a big change in our rider in how much more aggressively she rode XC at their last event at Training. It was the ride I was waiting for; it's almost like she caught up with how forward he wanted to go, and they looked like a pair headed to upper level.

At the end of last season we found a great local event trainer who is a stickler on technique, so we are going to spend some serious time with him in the spring and try to have a great year at Training! And maybe ask him to school the horse in the water! So far our dressage trainer has been the only trainer to ride the horse.

Thanks again!

Comment

So the pair have done 2 trainings, with 20 penalties on cross country in each? I'd work with your trainers and get them solid at training for a year before thinking of a prelim move up! The trainers who have seen the horse and rider will know far more about their combined ability than the forum.

In regards to your initial question, if money is no obstacle, it can be a very valuable thing to learn from a horse who has upper level experience. However, it isn't necessary (in my opinion) and the rider may need to be more competent at training level before she would be ready to ride a horse with that experience. There are experienced UL horses that will pack an inexperienced rider, but they are fewer and further between and even more expensive.

I was very lucky as a young rider and found a very quirky, tough, older horse who had many years at preliminary. We bought him for a fraction of what he was worth due to circumstance, and I was able to get mileage at preliminary on him. We did not do young riders, but having a horse who had been there and done that helped a lot when I was new to the level.

Did I want to do young riders? Absolutely. Was it feasible? Not a chance. Did I survive? Yes. Young riders is a goal, and the world will keep turning if the pair doesn't qualify/isn't ready. It is heartbreaking to see so many kids desperately want to do young riders, and when they don't make it they are crushed. It is just a horse show, and isn't a marker of future success. She is luckier than most to be able to follow a horsey dream, regardless of whether it ends in young riders or not

Comment

The other thing I will say about NAYC is that getting there and actually getting around the XC there clear are two different things. I understand why the qualification was softened to only require a CCI2*-S, however the CCI2*-L XC at Rebecca is a monster track, and it was the same at KHP in years prior.

I think it's wonderful for YR's to have the goal of going, but they should err on the side of being over prepared rather than just meeting the minimum qualifications. Having knowledgeable area coaches is definitely helpful to ensure that the correct pairs are going.
              No Trouble
              2/2/05 - 7/29/13
              Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Comment

If the rider and horse have only completed 2 events at Training and had XC jump penalties on both, they are not ready to move up. End of story.

I personally don't believe that a rider needs to be on a proven, experienced 4* horse in order to move up the levels as safely as possible and try to qualify for Young Riders. IMO the partnership between horse and rider is important, and I'd put my money on a rider on a horse she's been competing on for years and had a full, successful season with at Training as being more likely to safely get around her first Prelim, than the kid riding the horse that a pro took around Fair Hill but she's only done a couple events with, provided neither horse is at the limit of his scope.

Either way, both horse AND rider need to be rock solid at Training to move up. Buying an experienced horse doesn't negate the need for the rider to be very solid at Training with that particular horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for more great advice everyone!!

I agree that they need a very solid full season at training before we would let them even try a modified. And we will also not let her move up until her trainers agree. (I need Training to be easy for them; like they've outgrown it and it isn't fair to the other riders that they are still doing Training, before I will feel ready for them to move up!)

We just heard that the AEC's are staying in Kentucky for 2021, so that should take most of the stress off of her trying to make NAYC. She'll be happy enough if she makes it to AEC's at Training, especially if she can qualify for next August, which is going to be a challenge.

Potato, if the situation comes up we would definitely grab an older prelim horse like you found. I think that is really the perfect scenario. She actually rides one now who was a prelim champ in Canada in his much younger days. He's in his 20s now and stiff, but she pops him over some little jumps once in a while and he still loves it. She rides him because he bolts periodically and scares his older adult rider, but he behaves if she rides him for her a few times a week. She gallops him outside and do all the other things the older lady is afraid to do with him. He's a crabby old guy, but is still really feisty and hasn't lost that competitive look in his eye, which is so cute.

Thanks again everyone.

I'll update this post if (she would say "when") they make it to AEC's!

Comment

In general I think it’s better if the kid can get some experience riding a horse that has done some prelim first. There’s a big difference between training and prelim, it’s always been the biggest jump between the levels. As far as qualifying for Young riders it’s definitely harder than the regular prelim courses, and you see a big difference between the regions as far as what is needed to make the team. It’s also a major time commitment, and many of the kids who do it either homeschool or do some form of charter school. My daughter moved up to prelim successfully earlier in the year but ultimately decided not to try to try to qualify for NAYRC next year because she’s at a fairly demanding high school and didn’t think she could do it all. She did have fun doing the National training 3 day YR team competition at Rebecca last summer and her team even won the championships. She then did a modified before moving up to prelim in the fall. She did training for four years before moving up to prelim, but we all wanted to make sure she was really ready. Originally the plan was for her to go prelim on my experienced prelim mare before doing it on her horse, but soundness issues threw a wrench in that plan and slowed things down.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks vali. A few of the local kids have homeschooled so they could go to Florida for the winters. And of course, they are the kids who have done really well. Since we are in the Midwest, we only compete for 6 months of the year, and only get to go to 6 events at most and the seasons are just flying by, Then keeping the horses healthy is another challenge! I think the kids are better off doing as your daughter did and having the high school experience and having some non horsey friends. If they really want to keep riding there is plenty of time to be successful after high school and college.

We'll have to see how it goes this year at Training. I think the goals of AEC's and maybe the Hagyard Team event are good for 2020!

Good luck to your daughter!

Comment

Originally posted by iris2006 View Post
                        Thanks vali. A few of the local kids have homeschooled so they could go to Florida for the winters. And of course, they are the kids who have done really well. Since we are in the Midwest, we only compete for 6 months of the year, and only get to go to 6 events at most and the seasons are just flying by, Then keeping the horses healthy is another challenge! I think the kids are better off doing as your daughter did and having the high school experience and having some non horsey friends. If they really want to keep riding there is plenty of time to be successful after high school and college.

We'll have to see how it goes this year at Training. I think the goals of AEC's and maybe the Hagyard Team event are good for 2020!

Good luck to your daughter!
                        I just had this conversation with a young rider....I said don’t stress moving up. Enjoy your horse. I didn’t event AT ALL until my 20s and moved up quickly after I started and am still going strong 25+ years later. Because I was an experienced rider in other disciplines and in general. People over focus on competing and over focus on levels. IMO....take more time and make sure she has OTHER experiences. If you had asked me in HS...I just wanted to ride. But we couldn’t afford it. So I rode when (and what) I could—typically 1-3 times a week and very very little competing—-but instead played 2 varsity sports. Looking back....that not only has made me a better rider and horse person but also a much better and more well rounded person. And it really did NOT hold me back from any riding goals.
                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by Sticky Situation View Post
                          If the rider and horse have only completed 2 events at Training and had XC jump penalties on both, they are not ready to move up. End of story.

I personally don't believe that a rider needs to be on a proven, experienced 4* horse in order to move up the levels as safely as possible and try to qualify for Young Riders. IMO the partnership between horse and rider is important, and I'd put my money on a rider on a horse she's been competing on for years and had a full, successful season with at Training as being more likely to safely get around her first Prelim, than the kid riding the horse that a pro took around Fair Hill but she's only done a couple events with, provided neither horse is at the limit of his scope.

Either way, both horse AND rider need to be rock solid at Training to move up. Buying an experienced horse doesn't negate the need for the rider to be very solid at Training with that particular horse.
                          My comment regarding the bolded which I agree with but -- unfortunately this is the current model for US YRs. Buy experienced 4* horse and/or packer, and use that horse's experience to help them navigate Prelim*+.

It's not correct, and it's not safe, but it's what's being done. I've seen many YRs with more money at their disposal than the average rider, who have gotten their qualifications while not having the experience desirable to safely navigate a course of that level. My own two cents on the issue, I really think YRs just don't have the same depth of experience to make them handle (dangerous) questions as well as an adult counterpart: unfortunately, most of them are "racing against the clock" to meet their qualifications before they become ineligible, so they buy the horse they need for the level, and sometimes get by on hairy situations because the horse underneath them is incredibly athletic and well-trained and bails them out of bad spots.

There's a lot of pressure on YRs, and on the trainers/coaches/parents of YRs. I've seen it compromise the judgment of many (good) trainers and people.

Regarding the OP's question, others have touched on it better than me.. but the comment about her only competing 2 events at Training with XC penalties at both events.. how is Prelim even a consideration at this point?? No coach in their right mind, IMHO, should be focusing the YR on Prelim when they can't get around a Training course clean.

The jump between Training and Prelim in terms of questions asked is huge - and the room for error drastically reduced. There's a reason many solid Training level riders never break Prelim. There's a reason many solid Training packers don't ever make a start at Prelim. To an outside observer it may seem it's just a few inches - but the technicalities on course make it a completely different track.
                          AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Why isn't it correct or safe to purchase an experienced horse? Why have a young rider move her own inexperienced, and possibly maxed out horse up?

This is a brand new idea that I think is a reflex to today's anti pressure, anti accident mentality.

I see no issues with finding an appropriately matched experienced horse for a rider who wants to move up and shows the work ethic and desire to do so.

I'm sure there are plenty of upper level horses who would not provide a safe experience with a YR, but a good trainer will find the ones who will.
                            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                              Why isn't it correct or safe to purchase an experienced horse? Why have a young rider move her own inexperienced, and possibly maxed out horse up?

This is a brand new idea that I think is a reflex to today's anti pressure, anti accident mentality.

I see no issues with finding an appropriately matched experienced horse for a rider who wants to move up and shows the work ethic and desire to do so.

I'm sure there are plenty of upper level horses who would not provide a safe experience with a YR, but a good trainer will find the ones who will.
                              For clarity: my point was it's not correct/safe when a YR is riding way above their skill level, using the horse's skill to bail them out of bad spots and situations. I

It's perfectly fine/correct/safe when their riding skill is on par with the level and they're an appropriate match. .

Sorry if that was not clear, I was piggybacking/responding to a few comments made up thread.
                              AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Working...
                              X