• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Online "dating service" (Spinoff from "sponsorship" thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online "dating service" (Spinoff from "sponsorship" thread

It seems pretty obvious that there are breeders/owners of young, talented horses who can`t/don`t want to bring them on, but who would love to see them go on.
    It`s equally obvious that there are talented but underfunded riders who need good horses.
    Could there not be some sort of "dating service" to acquaint one group with the other?
    Obviously, "acquaintance" would be only the initial step. How any deal could be arranged from that point on would be through negotiation between the parties. However, if there`s some way to provide that first step, it might prove to be a vital service to both owners and riders.
    I`m ignorant about how these are structured, but couldn`t someone make some money providing such a service?
    http://www.tamarackhill.com/

It sounds like an outstanding idea, and one I've done before, but only through word of mouth.

From the outset it seems like it would be an easy thing to set up a website to do something like that. Thing would be to get people to actually use it.

I think it would only work as a means to pass initial information, details would have to be worked out by the respective parties, and I would imagine that the riders would have to provide references, perhaps even include 'supervision' by a reputable trainer/professional as part of the arrangement.

Comment

Absolutely!
      I've had a couple of people approach ME (36 and flopping) about starting youngsters. Ummm, yeah, I don't bounce anymore.
      Anyway, what I'm thinking is to make this a USEA sponsored activity. Why? Because they need some pr. And then they can host a discussion forum on this without an extra expense to someone.
      The breeders can list what horses they have and then the riders can apply to them. I would think it be lovely if the couple of ws my instructor has would take on a couple of babies.
      Hey, Emily Daily! I KNOW you're out there and I KNOW who your mama is! And I KNOW you've taken on some of her babies. How about helping us out here?
      Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Originally posted by LisaB View Post
        Absolutely!
        The breeders can list what horses they have and then the riders can apply to them. I would think it be lovely if the couple of ws my instructor has would take on a couple of babies.
        I think it could work either way; have the breeders list their horses, or have the riders post some sort of profile, with their experience, disciplines, locations, etc. Great idea!

Comment

Originally posted by denny View Post
          It seems pretty obvious that there are breeders/owners of young, talented horses who can`t/don`t want to bring them on, but who would love to see them go on.
          It`s equally obvious that there are talented but underfunded riders who need good horses.
          Could there not be some sort of "dating service" to acquaint one group with the other?
          Obviously, "acquaintance" would be only the initial step. How any deal could be arranged from that point on would be through negotiation between the parties. However, if there`s some way to provide that first step, it might prove to be a vital service to both owners and riders.
          I`m ignorant about how these are structured, but couldn`t someone make some money providing such a service?
          With all due respect, if you read the sponsorship thread closely, the problem both of these two groups (breeders & riders) have is lack of MONEY to campaign a horse for it to reach it's full potential.

Until someone steps up to the plate with dollars, you are still going to be in the same boat.
          www.OneJumpAhead.ca

Comment

combining resources?

"With all due respect, if you read the sponsorship thread closely, the problem both of these two groups (breeders & riders) have is lack of MONEY to campaign a horse for it to reach it's full potential.

Until someone steps up to the plate with dollars, you are still going to be in the same boat. "

But what about combining resources?

A breeder with a nice young horse could get a good, but unknown and underfunded rider on their horse. Rider, good, but unknown, gets a nicer horse under them than they could afford to buy.

Breeder and rider could work out an arrangement where they split costs, and perhaps agree that the youngster would be marketed by rider for a marginal commission upon sale. Breeder could require as a condition of their agreement that rider take X number of lessons with X trainer, as appropriate.

By pooling their resources, perhaps they could do things to better each other?

Comment

If a starving rider finds starving breeder and they bring up a horse properly, then that horse goes for more money than an unbroke or badly broke horse. Then they start accumulating $$. While that first youngster may be going advanced and the younger 'lost out', it bodes well that the horse started well and the breeder gets more popular.
              Really, all the rider has to do is show up at breeder's facility and put the horse under saddle. Then take the horse for a road trip to BNT and then spread the word. They don't necessarily need to do the YEH stuff to begin with. Eventually, they can once funds start coming in and they need more feathers in their cap. But that the bottom line of what is actually needed. And it's not expensive.

Comment

Denny, this is a great suggestion. I have a couple of horses that I'd like to see actually *do* something, but I can't afford to pay someone to bring them along and get them out showing, but I can afford to support the horse and pay entry/clinic/lesson fees -- just not pay the rider as well.

So, especially as my baby grows up, I'd love to find someone that would be willing to do this. We've also got a 7 year old Hungarian that needs to be restarted and is intimidating to those of us that don't bounce so good anymore, or in my case, I'm just not sure what to do with him to get him going well -- so far, we've been unable to find anyone that is interested in working with him and reschooling him without sending him off for Training with a capital "T" We'd love to find someone looking for a ride on a nice horse, and his owner is even willing to pay someone to ride, but would prefer not to have to send him off to camp with a Trainer.

It seems that in years past, young folks looking for nice horses were everywhere, and now, we keep asking people, and can't find anyone interested.

A "dating" service might be just the ticket!

libby
                I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
                Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Comment

This is a really interesting idea....I would fall on the rider side of this equation, would be really interested in hearing how it would work.
                  RIP My Beautiful Kevin
                  2003-2009
                  RIP Sweet Ella
                  2009-2011

Comment

I'm also in the rider side of things and I know TONS of people in the same boat as me who would be willing to ride and show if someone were willing to help them and put a good horse under them...
                    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I think this could work. One of the reasons money is such an issue is that by the time you spend $50K on a nice young horse, you have nothing left to campaign it. If the breeder donates the horse, I know my kids would LOVE to train and compete it at their expense (maybe with a little help from the breeder)! The money becomes much less of an issue.
                      \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

We almost have something similar here- the Riderless Horses/ Horseless Riders topic. It seems to work pretty well.... and if I'm not mistaken, there is a dedicated website/ BB. It's more targeted to "normal" riders, but I don't see why it would not work for more upper level horses and riders.

I don't think there are any fees involved- the only costs are the BB and that can be paid for through a free hosting service. Publicity is as cheap as posting a link online and word of mouth. You could have a link through the USEA as well.

To Ravencrest- I am a half leaser. It allows me to ride a nicer horse and have only half the bills. It allows the owner to keep her horse and have only half the bills. Anytime you can get away from the typical "you buy a horse and pay 100% of the bills" or "you pay 100% of the bills and for someone to ride" it helps make a dent. And, if monies become available, it helps two parties instead of one. Perhaps a young rider gets a ride on a nice youngster for free- which saves her from minimum $5000/year in horse keeping expenses (can be used on clinics and shows). The breeder gets free training on a horse they had to support anyway.

Comment

If a starving rider finds starving breeder and they bring up a horse properly, then that horse goes for more money than an unbroke or badly broke horse. Then they start accumulating $$. While that first youngster may be going advanced and the younger 'lost out', it bodes well that the horse started well and the breeder gets more popular.
                          Really, all the rider has to do is show up at breeder's facility and put the horse under saddle. Then take the horse for a road trip to BNT and then spread the word. They don't necessarily need to do the YEH stuff to begin with. Eventually, they can once funds start coming in and they need more feathers in their cap. But that the bottom line of what is actually needed. And it's not expensive.

Would love to know just "what" shade of rose those glasses are?

Lets see...put saddle on young horse, start basic work, load horse and offer to BNT...
                          I think I should start planning how I am going to spend all the money I am going to make.

Comment

Snoops,
                            I was making generalizations of the plan. Jeez!
                            It's Monday! Put the cat claws back in!

Comment

Lisa:

I think my post would have come off better had I put in all the "smile things"...It was meant to convey "I wish it were that easy...for me". It was not meant to be snarky...sorry darling

A kind of "I'll have what she's having"!!!

Comment

Okay snoopy. I get it
                                And what I'm having? A new year diet complete with a new cafe that open downstairs with smells of fresh pastries. Bastards! And here I sit with my fake chicken fingers and bowl of light veggie soup. Ugh!
                                And I hear about breeder stories! You couldn't pay me to be a breeder!

Comment

And I hear about breeder stories! You couldn't pay me to be a breeder!

And that was what my post was meant to be about...

Comment

Darn...thought this might be a really useful thread on dating!!

Oh well...in concept...this seems like a good idea but in reality...not so sure if it is necessary.

When I was a starving rider....it wasn't hard at ALL to find these deals. You have to be willing to show up, be decent and kind rider...and put yourself out there to make it happen. It required me being nice, returning calls....letting people know I was willing to ride anything (and riding anything). You have to spend some time riding some not so nice horses (with a smile on your face) and if you have any talent, the better rides do become available. And you have to find a way to work other jobs to support yourself (I worked in the barn mucking stalls as well as being a waitress). Maybe I was just lucky....but I don't think so. I think too many riders expect it to be handed to them...and it doesn't work that way. You have to be willing to shovel some Sh*& as well as ride....and the people who are willing to do that will find the opportunities.

What is that hardest thing is learning how to break a youngster well....and I learned that by working for good people and watching anyone I could. Breaking youngsters is a skill that not all riders have.....but once you have that skill, finding rides is NOT hard at all (well at least not in this area). I think the trouble breeders may have is the supply and demand....finding riders with the skill to start youngsters well is hard just because there is a small supply of them for a large demand. If they are any good at it....they can get paid for it.

One of the best places to learn....working for a TB farm and breaking the race horses. But while I love the youngsters...please note that it is a good way to get hurt. I've spent my fair share of my time in the ER from the 2/3 year olds....and the more talented the youngster....the farther, faster and harder they can plant you...even if they have a good mind, it is just part of being a youngster!!!
                                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

This is an excellent idea!

Originally Posted by LisaB
                                      "Absolutely!
                                      The breeders can list what horses they have and then the riders can apply to them".

I agree with the breeders listing what horses they have but I also think it would be beneficial for the riders to list themselves with some info like where they are located, a bit about their riding history, etc. That way the breeders could search out a rider.

Comment

If you list them, they will come...

A really great idea, although the devil might be in the details.

However, I wonder if running the service via the USEA could qualify the participants for insurance discounts. Insuring the horses, making sure that the riders have health/ disablity insurance would go a long way towards making me feel more comfortable with either taking on someone else's horse, or having someone other than me on my horse.

Also, perhaps the USEA could find a qualified person to post a standard agreement to cover such arrangements, that would allow participants to choose options from a menu to tailor the agreement to their own needs.

Nothing involving horses is without risk, but with a little advance planning, risks can be minimized, and everyone can feel more comfortable in a given situation.

Just the two cents of a recovering lawyer's wife.
                                        They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                                        Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Working...
                                        X