Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A second MIPS Skull Cap exists on the market with ASTM approval - Champion Revolve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I rode in my new Charles Owen skullcap with MIPS and as bad luck would have it, I fell off at the end of my lesson. The helmet fit great, I landed on my left shoulder and rolled, so everything worked out fine. Big thumbs up also for the CO with MIPS!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RSEventer View Post
      Well, I rode in my new Charles Owen skullcap with MIPS and as bad luck would have it, I fell off at the end of my lesson. The helmet fit great, I landed on my left shoulder and rolled, so everything worked out fine. Big thumbs up also for the CO with MIPS!
      I hate to type this, but if that thing hit the ground at all, I would use the CO replacement policy.

Em
      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post

DAMN!!! I have said that on so many threads!!! I'm so sorry for not saying it again. I have talked to them and I would think, maybe, that they may alter that in the future but you never know.

Not all sales people knew. I know that Linny has done a ton in the Dover store that she works at to have all of the helmet information in front of the buyers and to make sure that everyone tries BOTH liners and knows what fits and what doesn't. I would love to just go from store to store and work to help people to know more about these awesome helmets. But that's not my job. LOL

Em

​​​​
        I bought a Trauma Void this week probably because of your nudges. Thanks so much for saying this about the liner. The one it came with installed fit great so I didn't have to try the other, but the only reason I even know that was because of you.
        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by poltroon View Post

I bought a Trauma Void this week probably because of your nudges. Thanks so much for saying this about the liner. The one it came with installed fit great so I didn't have to try the other, but the only reason I even know that was because of you.
          YAY!!!! Congrats. #MIPSSaves

Ironically when I went to buy a discounted Lynx this weekend, my friend who came with me to buy one, bought the last one at Dover!! LOL!

So I am shopping online. So glad more people are getting them!!!

Em
          "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

I envy you folks who live near real, live retailers. I want a helmet with MIPS, but I’m not going to try to find one without trying them on first. Nearest tack store with a limited selection is 2 hours and an expensive bridge toll away.
            "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Has anyone had issues with the fit of their CO MIPS helmet? I ordered one in my normal CO size and its big. Talking to a few others, they said they had to order a size down.

I unfortunately got stuck with a helmet that I think is too big which is a bummer. I can't return because they are back ordered everywhere and by the time I could get in a size smaller to try, the return window on the one would be over. Just a heads up for those who can't find a store to try these on in person (I've yet to find a brick and motor store that has them in stock).

Does anyone know if these helmets can be safely shimmed?
              "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

https://falllinefarmblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
                Has anyone had issues with the fit of their CO MIPS helmet? I ordered one in my normal CO size and its big. Talking to a few others, they said they had to order a size down.

I unfortunately got stuck with a helmet that I think is too big which is a bummer. I can't return because they are back ordered everywhere and by the time I could get in a size smaller to try, the return window on the one would be over. Just a heads up for those who can't find a store to try these on in person (I've yet to find a brick and motor store that has them in stock).

What store did you buy from?

Em

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by seabreeze View Post
                  I envy you folks who live near real, live retailers. I want a helmet with MIPS, but I’m not going to try to find one without trying them on first. Nearest tack store with a limited selection is 2 hours and an expensive bridge toll away.
                  That's still likely cheaper than a trip to the ER with a CT scan.

Em

Comment

What store did you buy from?

Em
                    Dover

Comment

• Original Poster

You can return to Dover for any reason including to exchange for a more correct size.

Em

Comment

So my friend fell on Saturday while jumping. Not a very hard fall, landed in soft sand. She was wearing her CO Mips skull cap and still got knocked out and has a pretty good concussion. I'm not saying anything good or bad about the CO. I am curious how much of a difference it made though.
                        ~Run and Jump!~

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by xcjumper View Post
                          So my friend fell on Saturday while jumping. Not a very hard fall, landed in soft sand. She was wearing her CO Mips skull cap and still got knocked out and has a pretty good concussion. I'm not saying anything good or bad about the CO. I am curious how much of a difference it made though.
                          Sadly the difference would be hard to 100% judge without a second fall in a non-mips helmet that was totally identical in all regards.

Not saying they don't work, but have for myself (and there are a lot of others talking about it online) have experienced FAR less concussion after effects when falling AND HITTING MY HEAD, than in my non- Mips helmets.

Em

Comment

Sadly the difference would be hard to 100% judge without a second fall in a non-mips helmet that was totally identical in all regards.

Not saying they don't work, but have for myself (and there are a lot of others talking about it online) have experienced FAR less concussion after effects when falling AND HITTING MY HEAD, than in my non- Mips helmets.

Em
                            So sorry about your friend xcjumper. Agree with Em. I also fell and felt much less rattled in my MIPS than in my Tipp (which I love in the summer).

Comment

Bummed for you that you had that experience

I bought the CO MIPS helmet - the standard helmet, not the skull cap version - and I LOVE it. Perfect fit. In the same size as my usual CO helmet. I actually find the MIPS version even more comfortable/a better fit than the non-MIPS version.

PSA: Dover is currently offering 25% off on all CO helmets and vests, through 1/31/20

https://www.doversaddlery.com/25-off.../co25/pgnum/2/

Comment

Originally posted by seabreeze View Post
                                It doesn't actually matter. I live near 2 real, live (major) retailers. Neither can keep the MIPS helmets in stock long enough to offer a selection of sizes to try on in person. Which I found out the hard way after I drove almost an hour to try on, only to be told at the store that my best bet was to order online, which is what I ended up doing.

Comment

You can return to Dover for any reason including to exchange for a more correct size.
                                  Em
                                  I called and was told helmets could only be returned within 30 days of purchase. Which would have been fine had the helmet not been back ordered until after my season was over and my horse was getting time off.

Comment

• Original Poster

I called and was told helmets could only be returned within 30 days of purchase. Which would have been fine had the helmet not been back ordered until after my season was over and my horse was getting time off.

I'll ask again but a friend is an asst manager at a Dover location and she says that is not the correct policy. Be that as it may, I would reach out to CO as well. They're usually very helpful in cases like this.

Em

Comment

I work there. I would say that the 30 day policy starts the day you pick up the helmet and the backorder is "released" in the computer system. A new register receipt is generated at that time with the date of the back order release. If somehow the store manager at your store disagrees, though I don't think they would, call the main catalog number and escalate the issue. I don't think anybody would agree that the 30 day countdown starts on the date the backorder was put in the system. That would be crazy. The timeline should start the day you take the helmet home.

Comment

Originally posted by scruffy the cat View Post

I work there. I would say that the 30 day policy starts the day you pick up the helmet and the backorder is "released" in the computer system. A new register receipt is generated at that time with the date of the back order release. If somehow the store manager at your store disagrees, though I don't think they would, call the main catalog number and escalate the issue. I don't think anybody would agree that the 30 day countdown starts on the date the backorder was put in the system. That would be crazy. The timeline should start the day you take the helmet home.
                                        I’m still over 30 days. By the time I got the helmet, my horse was getting a post season break. So I tried it on but it didn’t feel too big until I rode in it and it moved around.

My fault for not riding in it sooner but I didn’t think it would run a size up from my 3 other CO Helmets and I thought the movement was because of the MIPS. It wasn’t until I talked to a friend who has a MIPS CO who said hers fits snug but she sized down.

I’m not going to pad it with pantyliners which is the only suggestion Dover had for making this fit. I may ride in it at home but I have to think long and hard before I jump in it. I’m worried if the padding compacts at all it will be loose enough it will come off.

So let this serve as a warning that it may be smart to wait until these aren’t back ordered for months because If you aren’t sure of a fit the return window is over before you can get a different size to compare. I’ve yet to find a brick and motor store who can carry them-I tried both a local store and Dover in Cinci before I ordered to avoid this and neither carried them.
                                        Last edited by Jersey Fresh; Jan. 24, 2020, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Well, if you didn't try it even after taking it home, I get it. But that's not a Dover return policy issue or a backorder. 30 days from the date one brings it home is still decent, especially since they allow you to return it even if used.

FWIW, my location has about 12 MYPSes in stock, and about 8-10 Trauma Voids in stock as of yesterday.

p.s. PANTYLINERS? Uh, nope. I'd sell it somewhere since it's essentially brand new and buy another.

Comment

Working...
                                          X