Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A second MIPS Skull Cap exists on the market with ASTM approval - Champion Revolve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A second MIPS Skull Cap exists on the market with ASTM approval - Champion Revolve

For the longest time I was bummed that Champion helmets were never submitted for ASTM testing. I LOVED the ones I had before ASTM was instituted. (WAY back). I emailed them years ago and asked why not and the very British answer back was "Because we don't need to to sell them."

So I was surprised today to see a Champion helmet being sold on the Adams Horse Supply Website. I checked and sure enough....ASTM approved. So then I went googling and sure enough Champion was one of the UK brands that I knew was producing MIPS helmets. Shockingly and happily their new "Revolve" line of MIPS helmets are all ASTM approved and have MIPS on board.

So for my Skull cap friends... you can explore beyond the Charles Owen MIPS skull cap. And I do know that One K mentioned they too are forthcoming with a MIPS skull cap.

https://championhats.co.uk/product/r...jockey-helmet/

I found them on one tack shop site so far, https://a2bequestrian.com/mips-186-c.asp

150 GBP = $191 at the current exchange rate.

I am sure there are others and I bet that this will be a hit item in the Olympia Trade Fair.

Hope this helps someone!!!

Em

#Mipssaves
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Thank you for letting us know!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

OH and they make silver!!! I will wait a bit and see what OneK comes up with since they are my helmet of choice!
      ~Run and Jump!~

Comment

My friend and I tried these at LandRover, major hit.
        Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

So, I have been wearing the trusty Tipperary Sportage for about 10 years now. I hated the look at first but can't beat the comfort (especially the venting) and price. Before that I had a Charles Owen skull cap which always dented my forehead. (I recently wore it when I visited my parents and went for a quick ride, and remembered how uncomfortable it was!)

Can anyone say what MIPS helmet is a good stand-in for the fit of a Sportage?
          Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

Blugal, the tipperary fits me better than any other helmet. My head is very round. The MIPS that fits me best is the Trauma Void. It is also quite comfortable.
            "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by HiJumpGrrl View Post
              Blugal, the tipperary fits me better than any other helmet. My head is very round. The MIPS that fits me best is the Trauma Void. It is also quite comfortable.
              Thanks! Are you in the EQ3 or the Lynx?
              Blugal

Comment

The EQ3. The lynx does not fit me.
                "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

Comment

I had the Trauma Void and just gave it away after I had a bad show with it! It came with two liners and I changed one out right before my stadium round- it seemed to fit fine- till I got in the ring and started jumping- I was slipping and sliding all over- I was surprised I was not dismissed from the class! It was too round for my oval shaped head. I just got in a replacement- the Charles Owen Skull Cap with MIPS. I hope to God this one fits better!

Comment

I posted this in Off Topic, but nobody gave a crap. Apparently the ASTM standard doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to Europe. I found this comparison at a vendor for Champion last week. If this is accurate, I'd much rather have what they have over there.
                    Attached Files
                    "Do what you can't do"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tbchick84 View Post
                      I posted this in Off Topic, but nobody gave a crap. Apparently the ASTM standard doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to Europe. I found this comparison at a vendor for Champion last week. If this is accurate, I'd much rather have what they have over there.
                      We've discussed that at length before. But the USEF follows ASTM so I mean... not many options. You could compete in a non ASTM helmet but if anyone recognized that you were wearing a non-ASTM helmet they could report you to the TD and get you eliminated. I don't think any of us want to lose show money that way.

RSEventer you do know that the liners are completely different right? One is larger than the other. They're not to just swap when one gets sweaty.

Em
                      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

I haven't tried the new MIPS helmet from Champion but I do have their SNELL approved skull cap and it is a fantastic helmet, extremely well made. I've much preferred this brand over the Charles Owen helmets I've had.
                        http://the900facebookpony.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post

. You could compete in a non ASTM helmet but if anyone recognized that you were wearing a non-ASTM helmet they could report you to the TD and get you eliminated. I don't think any of us want to lose show money that way.

Em
                          So I'm required to wear a less safe helmet?? That's absurd.
                          "Do what you can't do"

Comment

Originally posted by tbchick84 View Post

So I'm required to wear a less safe helmet?? That's absurd.
                            No- there are helmets that meet the requirements of both the USEF and other nations safety standards.

Comment

Originally posted by HiJumpGrrl View Post
                              The EQ3. The lynx does not fit me.
                              Funny. I love my Tipperary Sportage. I prefer the Lynx. The Lynx lets you adjust the angle of the chin strap, but the EQ3 doesn't.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by IFG View Post

Funny. I love my Tipperary Sportage. I prefer the Lynx. The Lynx lets you adjust the angle of the chin strap, but the EQ3 doesn't.
                                Just remember that Tipperary is coming out with a MIPS helmet of their own called the "Windsor" in early 2020.

Em

Comment

Just remember that Tipperary is coming out with a MIPS helmet of their own called the "Windsor" in early 2020.

Em
                                  I am looking forward to that but after reading your story, I knew I had no excuse not to get something for the rest of this winter.

My one and only but very bad concussion came from a horse slipping at trot, so I know it can happen. Winter riding for me is as hazardous as I feel it gets! Snow, ice, fresh clipped horses, riding on the roads, etc.
                                  Blugal

Comment

RSEventer you do know that the liners are completely different right? One is larger than the other. They're not to just swap when one gets sweaty.

Em
                                    Um- NOOOOOO! I did not know that- seems weird, the sales person said nothing about it, nor do I remember reading any accompanying literature about it! Oh well, that explains the God awful fit! See attached pic of me and Stella with said helmet!

Attached Files

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RSEventer View Post

Um- NOOOOOO! I did not know that- seems weird, the sales person said nothing about it, nor do I remember reading any accompanying literature about it! Oh well, that explains the God awful fit! See attached pic of me and Stella with said helmet!
                                      DAMN!!! I have said that on so many threads!!! I'm so sorry for not saying it again. I have talked to them and I would think, maybe, that they may alter that in the future but you never know.

Not all sales people knew. I know that Linny has done a ton in the Dover store that she works at to have all of the helmet information in front of the buyers and to make sure that everyone tries BOTH liners and knows what fits and what doesn't. I would love to just go from store to store and work to help people to know more about these awesome helmets. But that's not my job. LOL

​​​​​​​Em

​​​​

Comment

Bumping to add a thumbs up for the CO with MIPS. Just got a skull - there were several styles at the store. I hope the slidey liner doesn't drive me crazy, but it seemed very stable at the store no matter what I did with my head, and that was without the chin strap done. Also, yay, it doesn't touch my ears. Seems more oval than the new Pro II and fits a lot like the Fian, if that helps anyone.

Comment

Working...
                                        X