Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

46thlane19
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

UPDATE post 68* Thoughts on this horse- and if he's worth convincing my husband!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have little kids, a 3 year old and a 6 year old, and I ride 5-6 days a week including 1-2 lessons, and I would not consider a horse described as good for a confident adult. I’m in my 40s now and I don’t want to *have to* be confident at the barn anymore. I want the horse to inspire confidence in me so I’m not out there in the arena or the field going, “oh my god, if I get hurt, how is DH going to make sure these kids have clean underwear while also being a full time partner in a law firm?” I want my goals to be the most challenging thing about riding, and not to be stuck in neutral because my horse is nervous, unpredictable, or doesn’t enjoy its job.

In my 30s I had a horse who did not love jumping (and it was difficult for her), and I fell off every other time I went to an event. Maybe more often. Once on a solo trail ride, she got worried so I decided to get off and as I was getting off she swung around so I stepped off on the down side of a hill and fell over, and she stepped on my shin, thigh, and pelvis. She was actually a gem most of the time, especially in comparison to the unrated TB I had before that, a definite pro-ride. They were what I could afford at the time. But honestly, I should have half-leased and saved for a year or two and then bought the horse I needed. My reasons for not doing that sound so stupid to me now! I was a confident adult rider before having two horses that required a confident adult rider.

Look for a horse described as quiet whether ridden every day or once a month. They come in all price ranges. I have the fancy WB version, but I also have the right off the track OTTB version. He’s 4 and has about 6 months under saddle, and I have this video of me cantering him on a circle and I accidentally let him sneeze the reins right out of my hands (springtime, tons of pollen). And he just continued to canter on the circle, same rhythm same everything, for a stride until I got the reins back. You want him, but as a 10 year old! Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bip View Post
      I was a confident adult rider before having two horses that required a confident adult rider.
      That is a great line.

Comment

Originally posted by Libby2563 View Post
        But I suggest you separate the question of whether the time is right for you to own a horse at all from the question of whether this is the horse.
        This is worth repeating!

By all means, buy a horse if it’s what you want and you can make it work time wise and financially. But think carefully about what kind of horse would fit best in your life and then look for that. Sounds like you are busy and may want to consider half leasing your horse out. Then shop for a horse that would be both suit you and be easy to lease out at your barn. Your trainer probably knows best what type that would be.

And definitely don’t believe everything that’s written in an ad. Especially if the horse has been advertised for a while with no takers and is fairly priced. Usually the ones that sound too good to be true, are. And if they’re actually as described, they’ve sold before you as an adult amateur shopping on your own even has a chance to think. Horse shopping is a gruelling and demoralizing process. Window shopping is fun because lots of ads sound great. But when you are actually shopping and start asking the hard questions, you quickly realize things are not so rosy.

Comment

Buy when it will not have any financial impact on the rest of the family, the time aspect is less a factor but still partly a factor. Owning horses is a big financial investment, not just the purchase price either, there will continually be expenses, some can be big, like an unexpected colic or injury. If you aren't at a place where money isn't an issue and won't impact your family then perhaps trying a half least or upping your lessons so at least you are riding more. There are times when you buy a horse to ride and end up without a horse to ride, things happen. It's important to have your DH onboard with your horse purchase to keep your marriage happy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful input!

I showed the videos and listing to my trainer, and she thinks he'd be a good match and worth the drive. I did message the owner and asked a few questions, and her reason for him needing a "confident adult" is that he can get nervous with a nervous rider. I think the owner is a bit inexperienced, judging from the videos, to tell you the truth. He actually looks super patient and forgiving! Also she said he's the same horse, no antics, if you just hop on after a month, which would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I did talk to DH and asked him to be open-minded and really think about if we could make it work- he is actually very supportive and knows how much I have wanted this, but just hesitant because there are always projects around the house that stress him out because he already feels like he doesn't have time to deal with them. I understand that. I do feel a bit selfish even asking to add to that stress, but I also feel like life is short, I've put this big part of myself on hold for so many years, and we have the financial means to make it happen (we are fortunate). I'd be completely willing to find a half lessor if it turned out the time commitment was too much. The last thing I would want is for this to become a point of resentment in our marriage.

I would be fine waiting another year or two, except that this horse looks so perfect for me! I know ads don't tell the whole story, and he could be completely different or there might be huge issues. But I can't stop wondering if I should make the drive, see if he really is that perfect, and then make it work if he is.

Is that silly.. I guess there are always horses out there. Perhaps I let myself like him a bit too much from some photos and crappy sales videos haha.

Comment

Go. See. The. Horse! Life is always going to be hectic; there's always going to be crap that needs to be done. Learn to let go and enjoy a bit. I have a husband, a now 14 year old daughter and a small farm. I work full time and commute nearly 700 miles a week. I keep more horses than I should. I struggle to get in enough riding time to make me feel competent in my riding abilities. I am actually much better than I usually give myself credit for. It's a constant struggle to juggle everything.

But unless your are independently wealthy, that is life. My husband is often wrapped up in his job; his own hobbies or just relaxing. His job is stressful. My daughter used to ride but no longer does and is more caught up in her gadgets and friends. If I didn't have my horses as an outlet, I would go nuts.

So, go see.
              Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses on Facebook
              Fat Cat Farm Sporthorses Website and Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by FatCatFarm View Post
                Go. See. The. Horse! Life is always going to be hectic; there's always going to be crap that needs to be done. Learn to let go and enjoy a bit. I have a husband, a now 14 year old daughter and a small farm. I work full time and commute nearly 700 miles a week. I keep more horses than I should. I struggle to get in enough riding time to make me feel competent in my riding abilities. I am actually much better than I usually give myself credit for. It's a constant struggle to juggle everything.

But unless your are independently wealthy, that is life. My husband is often wrapped up in his job; his own hobbies or just relaxing. His job is stressful. My daughter used to ride but no longer does and is more caught up in her gadgets and friends. If I didn't have my horses as an outlet, I would go nuts.

So, go see.
                This made my day! And it's definitely what I want to hear!

DH and I have been messaging while at work, and he asked to see a pic of the horse He's a good man. He also said "if he's grey, I swear to God...."

I'll keep y'all posted!

Comment

I can see why he caught your eye. I would pass. Too many horses end up as rescues for a very good reason. You already have too much on your plate to take on a horse who may have undisclosed/unknown issues.
                  Better to lease or find a horse with a better history that improves chances of not buying a lemon
                  "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Originally posted by bip View Post
                    I was a confident adult rider before having two horses that required a confident adult rider.
                    BIP, I think that this is one of the best quotes that I have ever seen on COTH!

Comment

bip you are spot on with that, I too, was a confident adult rider. Then I owned horses who needed confident riders....

OP-I have gained some hard lessons through experience so while there is never a "perfect time" to buy a horse some of what you say feels all too similar to experiences I have had and it didn't end well for me.

First-if this horse is truly a packer, is there any kind of show record? "rescue" type horses always have a long story full of reasons why they changed hands frequently or were never in consistent work. It's pretty rare to find a horse with that kind of history that is both sound and sane. Ask me how I know.

Second-of course any sale ad will highlight the good and omit the not so good, however this goes triple for a horse being sold by someone you described as inexperienced. The seller may not be intentionally misrepresenting this horse, but they may not know enough to accurately describe this horse in terms of physical and mental soundness.

Third-not all advice from trainers is created equal. I was horse shopping four years ago with a trainer who has known me for 16 years and has a really good eye for matching horses and riders appropriately. At this trainers advice I vetted three horses, all failed the vetting, and looking back now, all three were visibly lame in their sales video though I didn't know enough to recognize it at the time. Not to mention, your trainer is never going to fully understand your time or financial constraints, no one but you and your husband understand it. So while your trainer may genuinely think this (or any) horse will be suitable for you, be very very careful that you don't just hear what you want to hear.

SO all that said, yeah, go ahead and look at some horses. This particular horse would be a pass for me personally, but if you do go see him I would bring a friend who knows more than you do about horses. Preferably someone who is hypercritical, it is so easy to get swept up in the excitement of "new pony" dreams that you can miss some red flags. That's where your educated but picky and emotionally un-invested friend comes into play. I brought an enabler when I was horse shopping and I wish I had brought a nay-sayer.

Comment

Originally posted by YEG View Post
                        I showed the videos and listing to my trainer, and she thinks he'd be a good match and worth the drive. I did message the owner and asked a few questions, and her reason for him needing a "confident adult" is that he can get nervous with a nervous rider. I think the owner is a bit inexperienced, judging from the videos, to tell you the truth. He actually looks super patient and forgiving! Also she said he's the same horse, no antics, if you just hop on after a month, which would be exactly what I'm looking for.

I would be fine waiting another year or two, except that this horse looks so perfect for me! I know ads don't tell the whole story, and he could be completely different or there might be huge issues. But I can't stop wondering if I should make the drive, see if he really is that perfect, and then make it work if he is.

Is that silly.. I guess there are always horses out there. Perhaps I let myself like him a bit too much from some photos and crappy sales videos haha.
                        In my opinion a horse that needs a “confident adult” is not one that’s going to be easy to half lease out.

But if the horse really speaks to you, then by all means go see it! Nothing worse than going through life wondering “what if”. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: I’m going to see him on Wednesday!

I’m going on my own because I don’t have anyone who can come with me for an 11 hour round trip drive on a Wednesday.. but I’m NOT bringing a trailer haha, and I’ll get video of me riding which I will take back to my trainer before I make any decisions.

Super excited Hope I have another update for you soon!

Comment

Update: I’m going to see him on Wednesday!

I’m going on my own because I don’t have anyone who can come with me for an 11 hour round trip drive on a Wednesday.. but I’m NOT bringing a trailer haha, and I’ll get video of me riding which I will take back to my trainer before I make any decisions.

Super excited Hope I have another update for you soon!
                            Yeah! I'm excited for you. If you like him make sure your trainer sees him before buying. My current horse I'm riding was difficult at first. Well, that's an understatement. If he thought he could get away with something, he did. Including me getting dumped more times than I can remember. But my rule always was, if it didn't leave a mark, I didn't tell the hubby. 2 years later I am exponentially a better rider because of him. And we have a good partnership.......and I haven't been dumped since Jan! Lol.
                            "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

I would like to see more than photos of him. At the very least I would like to see more jumping photos.

Whether you can afford the time for him and the rest of you life is only something you can answer.
                              Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I am WAY older than you, close to retirement, but have been through the wrong horses several times. I have 2 horses, one is out in the field healing from a suspensory issue, and the other is a 9 yoa paint who was not started until he was 7. Hence a 4 yoa in a 9 yoa body. I have had to really up my confidence game with this horse who is only 15.1! Though this horse had not done much, I still did a full vetting on him. That was not cheap. Are you planning on doing a PPE if you proceed to buy? You definitely don't want major issues down the line. I have come off once, due to him dropping a shoulder because a horse fly bit him. Even though it wasn't far to the ground, my tailbone hurt for 3 weeks. This is more of a pony than a horse, with naughty tendencies, but he's coming along well. Just be sure you really want this horse, and don't let your heart make the decision instead of your brain. Good Luck!!!

Comment

I really like bip's input. I have two small kids also (4 and 9) and a moderately flexible (most of the time) job, but my husband travels a LOT for work (as in, gone for a total of 4-6 months every year) and it's a struggle. I've found things do get easier once the kids are 4+ years old as they're less likely to spontaneously self-destruct.... I have the horses at home, which is much easier financially, but comes with its own set of issues (I can't keep up with mowing, pasture & fence maintenance, and all the other stuff on my own).

I'm assuming you're going to be boarding; I would consider whether you can afford to have your trainer/working student ride any horse you buy twice a week, and whether your kids will be able to hang out at the barn with you while you ride at least 1-2x/week. I love doing my own training and horse development, but honestly, I don't have the time to do it all on my own consistently at this point in my life. You will all be happier if the horse is getting consistent rides even when Life throws things at you, and bringing the kids with you sometimes can reduce the chances of your husband getting resentful that he's stuck on his own at home with the kids several times a week while you are out riding. Also, it can be a lot of fun for you and the kids--you just need to be sure they're not going to be disrupting other folks at the barn!

Then as far as the horse, do get something that will be kind to you and the kids. I don't need mine to be kid-safe to ride, but I do need them to be pretty safe with kids around them (one of mine isn't totally trustworthy and it's stressful). It's wonderful to be able at least to give the kids 'pony rides' and let them help with grooming, etc if interested.

Good luck! The horse you're looking at today is cute, but temperament is EVERYTHING in these conditions.

Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
                                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

@ YEG - Just curious as to if you liked the horse you saw yesterday?
                                    Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Comment

• Original Poster

Update:

Haha it's amazing how different real life can be from an ad (as you all wisely mentioned )

I will say: I like this horse, he is great on the ground, very calm, affectionate, seems to have a willing brain, and I think he could be a pretty fancy little sport horse with the right work.

That being said... he needs a LOT of work. As in, I've seen 4 year olds right off the track with more training.

1. He has no trot. At the walk, he was super smooth, forward (good kind), ears forward, happy boy. As soon as any leg was applied, he inverted and tiptoed around like a racehorse being ponied on the track. Blew through leg yield aids, head in the air, seemed frazzled and wanted to canter. Owner says "yeah that needs work. He enjoys cantering more so I just let him canter because that's what he likes and he really finds his rhythm" yikes. His canter was smooth though, and he was able to relax more.

2. His stop is questionable. He doesn't run off, but he visibly braced against the bit and took probably six strides to stop from the walk. Her solution "yeah he could probably use a harsher bit". He's already not in a snaffle (it's a thick mullen mouth with port).

3. Owner says he loves to jump. Well, he certainly locks onto the jump and rushes it, but I think that's more a result of him having super inconsistent/nonexistent training, and trying to find something he can do right. Rushing in my experience does not come from love of the sport.

4. As another example of her doing him no favors, she warned me that his one vice is sometimes walking off from the mounting block before you are settled. Not so bad, right? Well what actually happens is if you don't hover and then lower like you are backing for the first time, he gets startled and leaps to the side! I could fix that, but I mean, not a great start lol. And makes me wonder what other quirks she's installed.

Basically, he's a greenie in a 10 year old body. My imagination is going wild because maybe he's a diamond in the rough and with some correct lunging, basics (maybe even put on by someone who's not me) and strengthening --> relaxation-- > rhythm exercises, he could be great. Or.. maybe he's not a diamond in the rough, just a turd

Why do I like him? He's gorgeous (terrible reason I know), he's fancy, athletic, willing, sweet on the ground. I think I'm letting my imagination get hold of me with how I could turn this backyard find into a masterpiece.. but A. maybe that's not what I need (I was sort of looking for a packer), and B. maybe there are just too many holes/quirks in this 10 year old.

Trainer said hard pass based on the lack of trot, but maybe if I could get him for a song and put that money into training?...

Comment

Update:

Trainer said hard pass based on the lack of trot, but maybe if I could get him for a song and put that money into training?...
                                        I was reading your entire update and the whole time thinking "I hope she didn't buy this horse". "Maybe he's a diamond in the rough".....maybe, but probably not. At the end of the day he is 10 years old, and not only is he greener than grass, he also has some (lots of) bad habits under his belt. I actually feel for the current owner, it sounds like she's a bit in over her head.

There will be another horse out there for you, trust me. It really sounds like this one is not it.

Another Adult Amature and her OTTB: https://eventingottb.wordpress.com

Repurposed Racehorses
                                        https://repurposedracehorses.weebly.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, I think you're right. I agree, I feel bad for her as well, which is perhaps partially why I'd love to make this work if I could. But that's not a good reason to buy, and there are many good reasons not to.

Ah well! It would have been crazy to buy the first one I tried, anyway Now I can keep perusing ads all day at work instead, ha!

Really appreciate everyone's thoughtful input.

Comment

Working...
                                          X