Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Too hot this weekend...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too hot this weekend...

So please leave your dog at home. I know if I had something scheduled I would scratch. Heat index in the northeast is 105-115 and there’s a big event in area 1. You make your own decisions about you and your horse and choosing to compete but please, this weekend, when your dog will likely be tied up hanging out in/out vehicles and trailers, consider leaving him at home in the ac. I love dogs and my horse does too. We like seeing them at events. I don’t want to hear one died at one.

Any chance they would cancel or postpone that event?

Comment

I've seen posts from two large events in Area 1. Both are just saying they are moving around ride times due to so many scratches. I'd much rather see the posts saying they are cancelling or postponing the events. It's far too hot for any horse to be competing this weekend. So many people are going to be eating a few hundred bucks for no other reason than they are looking out for their horse's welfare. I get that people are free to make their own decisions, but this is really bugging me.
      "Do what you can't do"

Comment

• Original Poster

So there is a sanctioned event and a large schooling event. I've only seen stuff about a lot of scratches from the schooling event and I'm glad to hear it. Mostly lots of posts about have lots of water available. My friend and I had these same thoughts yesterday- that really both should be cancelled/postponed for the safety of all the riders/horses involved. BUT, not my circus, not my monkeys. The one thing I can remind people of is to leave the pooches where it is cool. I feel like a lot of the time on show days the dogs tag along but the focus is obviously on the rider and horse. This is not the day to have a dog tagging along that nobody is really focusing on to make sure it's doing ok. And at least when I'm at a show, there's horses on/off the trailer all the time, doors on the truck are open, then they're not. Easy for a dog to hop in unnoticed and then the doors to get shut. We leave our windows open typically, but not everyone does.

I know I would scratch. I'm not even riding at home. I'm worried about my horse standing outside in his paddock eating hay and am planning on going to give him a hose down after lunch. I also don't do well in the heat/humidity. And it drives me bananas when they don't cancel school and the drive in is really bad. It's just not worth it. I know it's a pain in the ass but adverse weather conditions happen, especially in New England, and risking someone's life just isn't worth "sticking it out."

Comment

Im at Larkin Hill in Area 1 this weekend and the current forecast show temps under 90 for the entire day - 73 with a heat index of 73 when the first horses start down the centerline and 78 w a heat index of 84 when the first horse goes out on XC. Heat index peaks at 97 at mid-day. Fingers crossed we get what is currently forecast. It was stupid hot yesterday but there at least was a nice breeze for most of the afternoon on the property.
          Joan Davis
          http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/
          http://flatlands-equestrian.com/

Comment

A breeze makes all the difference. Yesterday, no breeze and a heat index of 110 at my house. Today, expected heat index of 113-115, but there is a slight breeze this morning. I really hope it sticks around.
            "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

It is too hot for man or beast is a quote that comes to mind. I would not put my horse, or myself through showing in this weather. A $1 ribbon is not worth it! JMHO.
              When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

One of the extremely fancy barns in the area opted to hold their schooling jumpers show yesterday. They bumped everything up an bourse and were probably done by 11am. Ticketed warmup at 7. Looked like only 2-4 competitors per division. They were smart and had a mobile hydrospa on hand offering demos for the horses. Everyone looked cool and comfortable in their Facebook pics. They have the staff and facilities to be ridiculously efficient. That's about the only show I would've attempted this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan from Flatlands View Post
                  Im at Larkin Hill in Area 1 this weekend and the current forecast show temps under 90 for the entire day - 73 with a heat index of 73 when the first horses start down the centerline and 78 w a heat index of 84 when the first horse goes out on XC. Heat index peaks at 97 at mid-day. Fingers crossed we get what is currently forecast. It was stupid hot yesterday but there at least was a nice breeze for most of the afternoon on the property.
                  A horse I bred is there and competing. He is an elder and I am worried about him.

Comment

While it was definitely hot, Sunday at Larkin was not even close to the original forecast w crazy heat and humidity. My hubby who was competing actually thought it was hotter at Huntington last weekend. Im the official photographer so got to enjoy that heat up close and personal and see every horse on XC. I think I can honestly say I did not see any exhausted / over heated horses - and really no more than normal "tired" looking on course. Was shooting in the water complex field so I saw them early and late on course. The organizers and officials did a fantastic job providing water and ice to all - and had vets / vet stalls set up on grounds in case needed. I heard nothing but praise from the competitors and spectators.

Joanne - if you email me at Joan@Flatlandsfoto.com I might be able to slip you a photo of your horse if he did compete.

Joan from Flatlands
                    Joan Davis

Comment

Joan from Flatlands, thank you for the followup and the generous offer. You are all class. Hope you got to put your feet up and have a chilled drink at the end of the day!
                      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Thank you frugalannie Im shooting for Friday for that cold drink w my feet up!! Right now its proof editing w iced coffee!!
                        Joan Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Joan from Flatlands View Post
                          While it was definitely hot, Sunday at Larkin was not even close to the original forecast w crazy heat and humidity.

Joanne - if you email me at Joan@Flatlandsfoto.com I might be able to slip you a photo of your horse if he did compete.

Joan from Flatlands
                          He did compete, finished, and placed(!). 19 years old. So very glad the forecast was wrong about the heat and humidity.

I dropped you an email. Very much appreciate the offer to let me see him in action.

Comment

Photo sent! Feel free to share it here if you wish. Looks like he was having a wonderful time!!

Joan from Flatlands
                            Joan Davis

Comment

Joan from Flatlands:

THANK YOU so much for the excellent photo. He sure does look like he was enjoying x-country!

Comment

This is a bit on and off topic - I see all these posts/warnings about dogs and horses -all of which I completely agree. Shoot, this weekend I practically had to carry my dog outside to do her business as she had absolutely no interest in going outside. But what I don't get are these travel sports clubs for kids. My nephews are involved in them for soccer, friends have kids in softball and it seems the coaches and organizers are completely oblivious to weather warnings - whether it's too cold or too hot. I work in a hospital - last week a 30 year old male admitted to the ICU for heatstroke, a 32 year old woman succumbed to heat related death while hiking in the hot weather. But oh know the girls softball, and other sports carried on. Am I crazy for thinking this is borderline child abuse. They cancel softball/baseball when it rains (can't mess up those fields and of course lightening) but apparently it doesn't even occur to them to cancel when it's this hot. We hear all the time of some college or high school student who drops dead during summer football work-outs - some may have an undiagnosed health issues but one in MD was def related to heat stroke of a college football player.
                                My apologies for going off on another direction.

Comment

Nice horse Joanne!

Joan FF you're a peach.

Comment

Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
                                    This is a bit on and off topic - I see all these posts/warnings about dogs and horses -all of which I completely agree. Shoot, this weekend I practically had to carry my dog outside to do her business as she had absolutely no interest in going outside. But what I don't get are these travel sports clubs for kids. My nephews are involved in them for soccer, friends have kids in softball and it seems the coaches and organizers are completely oblivious to weather warnings - whether it's too cold or too hot. I work in a hospital - last week a 30 year old male admitted to the ICU for heatstroke, a 32 year old woman succumbed to heat related death while hiking in the hot weather. But oh know the girls softball, and other sports carried on. Am I crazy for thinking this is borderline child abuse. They cancel softball/baseball when it rains (can't mess up those fields and of course lightening) but apparently it doesn't even occur to them to cancel when it's this hot. We hear all the time of some college or high school student who drops dead during summer football work-outs - some may have an undiagnosed health issues but one in MD was def related to heat stroke of a college football player.
                                    My apologies for going off on another direction.
                                    Yes and no. At a high school and collegiate level? I agree. I wish they'd worry more. Or at least switch out a field day for extra weight work in the gym. Below that? Nah. My stepchildren all did years of rec league soccer. It was the opposite issue, if anything. The kids barely did anything and received a 2000 calorie "snack" afterwards. There was more Gatorade than at professional games. Unfortunate, given how bad Gatorade is for you but that's a discussion for another day.

Sort of related - it's fascinating to see the different how people from very hot climates handle the heat. I suspect it's the direct sun that is the issue and not the actual air temperature. I just saw an article about how clipping dogs sets them up for heat stroke because the temperature of their skin in the clipped areas gets 20-30 degrees hotter than in non-clipped areas. We Americans at least have a habit of shedding clothes when it gets hot. Maybe that's part of what gets us in trouble? You will never see a Mexican guy working as a landscaper running around in shorts and no shirt no matter how hot it is, for example. They are all wearing long pants, long-sleeved shirts in a breathable fabric, and at least a baseball cap if not a wide brimmed hat with bandanas draped over their neck and face. They will also find a large tree at lunch and give themselves ample time to eat and rest.

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The gyms in Brazil are covered but obviously never air conditioned. The gyms here typically don't have AC, either. On very hot days the ambient air temperature easily climbs to 110+. BJJ gis are much heavier than those for other martial arts because most techniques require grabbing and pulling on the gi. The head black belt is from Brazil. I know he does keep an eye out for problems - you're not to lock the bathroom door on hot days in case you pass out, for example. But oddly, I've never seen anyone have a heat-related issue. Not even in a gym in August packed with 70 people for a training seminar and the high level guys rolling at international competition force for 40 minutes straight. It's sort of funny because of the stereotype but the Brazilian guys really do drink coconut water and eat tons of bananas and acai berry. They're also really good at conserving energy when they can and lie around in front of the fans in between rounds.

Americans don't seem to know how to do any of this. We're a go, go, go culture and "resting" is always frowned upon. Ever notice that the German grocery store Aldi is the only one that allows it's check out clerks to sit down? American stores consider sitting "unprofessional". Same with sports. High level BJJ players are in much better shape than American football players despite spending as much time lying on the floor in front of fans chatting in Portuguese as they do training. American football coaches seem to think that every second of a practice must involve Herculean effort. There's no active rest and recovery allowed. Just some random observations on my part!

Comment

Working...
                                    X