Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Ashley Stout , 13 and her horse, killed in Rotational Fall (Named to YR Training team)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• evilc123
    replied
    Rnichols nailed it.

Leave a comment:

• Rnichols
    replied
    As a rider and a mom, this tragedy really got me thinking. Earlier this year I went cross country schooling with a very green OTTB. He didn’t pick up his feet in time and fell down, yes FELL DOWN, over an intro fence. That rocked by confidence and made me pause and re-evaluate what I was doing for a minute. It was obviously an accident, but it still happened. I believe that accidents will likely always happen in this sport, but tragedies (i.e: horse and rider deaths) can certainly be avoided or at the very least reduced given proper research. Which makes me wonder why anyone on this thread would not support research being done to have this not happen again? There is NO WAY anyone on this thread is trying to examine what happened to be “nosey” or “rubberneck”. I think it comes from a genuine place of concern and wanting to help. And, pardon me, but I place ZERO trust in the FEI to collect sufficient data and have the results analyzed. Remember when we were all in an uproar about bloody mouths? And what did they do the following year – ban unattached neck straps. Like, really?

It seems like every time something like this happens, one of these threads come up and the same conversation happens over and over. There’s always people saying “now isn’t the right time”….okay, well WHEN is the right time, then? If information can be collected to create further safety standards to reduce risks, why would anyone object to that, regardless of the timing of when the information is collected? I do hope that information can be gathered from this incident in order to reduce the likelihood that this will happen again. Personally, I feel like collecting information to prevent or reduce the risk of this happening again is significantly better sending thoughts & prayers. Just my two cents, for whatever that’s worth (probably less than 2 cents, really).

I hope that nobody takes what I’m saying the wrong way. My sincere condolences go out to that poor family. I can’t imagine losing a daughter so young.

Leave a comment:

• knic13
    replied
    Originally posted by kcmel View Post

Maybe it could be considered such for someone not involved in the sport. Speaking for myself I always want as many details as I can in order to protect myself and my horse. Maybe the details won't be relevant in the end but right now we don't know that.

Yes we should be more patient, but these terrible tragedies lead to a lot of soul searching. At least for me. And this one hits particularly close to home since I know some of the people involved.
    Who said I am not involved in the sport?

Solid data on safety interventions and good horsemanship are how you protect yourself and your horse. What could this anecdote possibly add to that in a way that you would learn something meaningful?

I think the discussion on the air vest study was a great step in that direction.

Leave a comment:

• kcmel
    replied
    Originally posted by knic13 View Post

The insistence that YOU the public need the details of this incident feels more like rubbernecking.
    Maybe it could be considered such for someone not involved in the sport. Speaking for myself I always want as many details as I can in order to protect myself and my horse. Maybe the details won't be relevant in the end but right now we don't know that.

Yes we should be more patient, but these terrible tragedies lead to a lot of soul searching. At least for me. And this one hits particularly close to home since I know some of the people involved.

Leave a comment:

• Manahmanah
    replied
    Originally posted by knic13 View Post
    I think everyone wants the sport to be as safe as possible but I fail to see how sharing the nitty gritty details with random people on the internet to discuss will make the sport safer.

It seems like greater focus on lobbying for centralized reporting and data analysis and likely for more funding would be of much greater help.

The insistence that YOU the public need the details of this incident feels more like rubbernecking.
    That's exactly what this is. Prepare for an attack about it.

Leave a comment:

• evilc123
    replied
    Agree with HLMom . As an eventer myself, I find the dissection of these events to be important to my own riding and my ability to make informed benefit:risk decisions, as well as to formulate well-informed opinions to share with the eventing community about safety in the sport. I have continued to be impressed with Jealoushe's commitment to making this information available to CoTH-ers and for fostering a dialogue about it. Just because forums are more or less anonymous doesn't mean that their participants lack influence.

Leave a comment:

• HLMom
    replied
    Originally posted by Rackonteur View Post

I truly cannot believe you posted this. I cannot believe any human being could be so cruel. Someone who is truly a mourner, truly grieving for someone they actually knew, asking uninvolved people to have a little compassion for fellow horse-people and stop posting gossip and speculation, and you respond as you did.

I am with chisamba who posted about the vultures here on COTH. I have read about other posters who use the word "harpies." Same difference. I just cannot believe your lack of manners, let alone compassion.
    Let's also try not to be too harsh with each other in the face of this horrible event. As an observer on this forum (not an eventer myself), it seems to me that Jealoushe has been consistent in his/her concern about the risks to riders and particularly to their equine partners, and deeply committed to trying to understand if anything can be changed to make things safer.

I realize that type of conversation is not one that will always be comfortable or welcome for the connections of a rider who has suffered an accident. It is a difficult balance between being compassionate, not saying anything that might be upsetting, and yet trying to understand whether anything can be learned from the incident.

I guess all I'm saying is, I see no evidence that Jealoushe is cruel or lacks compassion. I think s/he is acting in good faith and cares about riders' and horses' lives. I also think the shock of this incident--such a young and enthusiastic rider--is something that will be hard to process even for those who didn't know her, and people will react in different ways, sometimes searching for an explanation or lesson. Peace and compassion to all.

Leave a comment:

• knic13
    replied
    I think everyone wants the sport to be as safe as possible but I fail to see how sharing the nitty gritty details with random people on the internet to discuss will make the sport safer.

It seems like greater focus on lobbying for centralized reporting and data analysis and likely for more funding would be of much greater help.

Leave a comment:

• JER
    replied
    Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
    Another rider died this weekend and there is no information to be found. How will we ever understand the risk if we can’t face it?
    Because that death is in the UK, there will be a mandatory coroner’s inquest. Coroner’s inquests/hearing are public.

Leave a comment:

• Rackonteur
    replied

I am very sorry for your loss as you are obviously connected to the rider here. This thread has not once tried to place blame or pass judgement. It’s an open internet discussion thread where all aspects of or sport are discussed and unfortunately fatalities in Eventing happen often, and as such they are discussed here. There are threads many years old where we have dove deep into countless things that have affected our sport throughout the years. Fatalities are real and commonplace every year, they need to be discussed and not swept aside or ignored in favour of not hurting feelings. I understand grieving and compassion completely but I also understand clicking on an Internet forum is a choice and as such if the conversation makes someone uncomfortable they should scroll and roll. No one is trying to blame anyone, we just want to see if there are things we can learn from to make the sport safer. What’s wrong with that? Why do people fight against finding answers?

Another rider died this weekend and there is no information to be found. How will we ever understand the risk if we can’t face it?
    I truly cannot believe you posted this. I cannot believe any human being could be so cruel. Someone who is truly a mourner, truly grieving for someone they actually knew, asking uninvolved people to have a little compassion for fellow horse-people and stop posting gossip and speculation, and you respond as you did.

I am with chisamba who posted about the vultures here on COTH. I have read about other posters who use the word "harpies." Same difference. I just cannot believe your lack of manners, let alone compassion.

Leave a comment:

• poltroon
    replied
    Originally posted by KellyS View Post
    Basically, the rider never had a chance. There was only a BLS (basic life support) crew on hand (I don't know what is required by FEI but if it's only BLS, maybe that needs to be changed) and the show management would not allow a helicopter to come and fly the person to a trauma center because "it would scare the horses." There are a lot more details that are appalling but I can't share them without giving away the person and event and I won't do that because I do not feel that is fair.
    Making a plan for a helicopter evac seems important especially given how many events are relatively remote. People have been helicopter evac'ed out of our rodeo grounds with some frequency - the local hospital is a half hour drive over bumpy roads and it's not a good plan for someone with a spinal injury. The arena was used and I'm not aware that any horses have ever become uncontrollable because of it (and many of these horses aren't terribly chill or well behaved...).

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied
    Originally posted by chisamba View Post
    I had forgotten what a large number of vultures posted on Coth. I remember why I dont hang out here much.
    yet here you are name calling, ironic.

Leave a comment:

• RacetrackReject
    replied
    Originally posted by asterix View Post
    I am not so sure falls like this are so rare in stadium. I had one, on a young horse who misjudged his takeoff and got the pole tangled in his legs. Not a big fence, no high speed. He flipped completely over and landed literally upside down a few feet from me, as my coach was yelling at me to move...all I could think was, no, I’m not supposed to move after I fall, why is she saying that. Neither one of us was hurt but it could so easily have been this fall.
    I don’t think we have ANY remotely accurate data to understand how often this occurs and under what circumstances...we know about very bad accidents like this one, and we know about high profile accidents at competitions...but what about all the other ones?
    Agreed. My friend's horse didn't pick up his feet in the warmup for BN and had an almost full rotational fall, from the trot over a 2'6 stadium fence. I think if the horse would have been cantering, the momentum would have taken them completely over. As it was, the horse rolled up on his neck/head, but the hind end came back down instead of going over. The horse busted up his mouth a bit and the rider hurt their arm but both walked away otherwise.

Sorry for the loss to Ashley's family and friends. I cannot even imagine what they are going through.

Leave a comment:

• chisamba
    replied
    I had forgotten what a large number of vultures posted on Coth. I remember why I dont hang out here much.

Leave a comment:

• chisamba
    replied

A fatal fall, that without more information I can not say what the cause was. Do we ever truly know the cause? The horse rotated and thats what matters, it happens too often. Its not a freak accident.
    If you have successfully done the same thing many times, like jump out of a plane with a parachute, and then you do it and it kills you, I can be considered a freak accident to those that find solace in it.

I think we can let the trainer and mother and friends and family mourn the way they want to . The press quoted the trainer. That is where the headline came from.

of course anyone can vomit up the news in their particular pattern if chewing up and spitting out to spread their POV . It's your right.

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied
    Originally posted by horsemom141 View Post
    Is is difficult to read these comments from my perspective as a rider, mom, member of the local community, and acquaintance of those directly involved. I understand the passion for the sport and sense of urgency that leads you all to try make sense of this tragedy and possibly prevent another. There are so many statements here that feel like judgement from afar, speculative question being asked, by a lot of people, none of whom were there or have any actual data. This is a widely read and respected international forum. For the sake of those of us experiencing this more intimately (and my grief is miniscule by comparison to the families, breeder, trainer, and close friends) ... it's barely been 72 hours ... we are still reeling from the reality that these two are forever gone from this life. It's hard enough to deal with it based on what we do know, without having to read about what everyone else thinks they know. I, myself, competed at a high level in another high risk sport. Tragedies like this happen outside of eventing. They should make us strive for safety but bad things do happen despite everyone's best effort. Sometimes you can point to a reason and say, "this was avoidable," and try to make it sport safer for the next participant. Sometimes bad things just happen despite doing everything according to "best practices" and with as much care, equipment, and common sense possible. The words "freak accident" and the reference to "a curb" were made literally a few hours after this happened, while I'm sure the person who used those words was still in a state of shock and disbelief. Don't make it harder for us by taking those words and turning them into some sort of platform for your own opinion and imagining you have some sort of omniscient understanding of the what wrong here. Strive to be safe, strive to make your sport better. Do that. But don't imagine you know how or why this happened or who is responsible when you weren't even there. I'm not saying, don't ask the hard questions, I'm just saying, read what you are writing and ask if it is fair, or whether you are implying any sort of blame or judgment on the people involved, while trying to make your possibly very valid point.
    I am very sorry for your loss as you are obviously connected to the rider here. This thread has not once tried to place blame or pass judgement. It’s an open internet discussion thread where all aspects of or sport are discussed and unfortunately fatalities in Eventing happen often, and as such they are discussed here. There are threads many years old where we have dove deep into countless things that have affected our sport throughout the years. Fatalities are real and commonplace every year, they need to be discussed and not swept aside or ignored in favour of not hurting feelings. I understand grieving and compassion completely but I also understand clicking on an Internet forum is a choice and as such if the conversation makes someone uncomfortable they should scroll and roll. No one is trying to blame anyone, we just want to see if there are things we can learn from to make the sport safer. What’s wrong with that? Why do people fight against finding answers?

Leave a comment:

• JER
    replied
    When a person gets on top of a horse, there is always a chance, however slight, that their positions will end up reversed.

There are factors that can increase the likelihood of that unlikely event. Jumping - or failing to jump - a solid obstacle would appear to be one of them.

So not a freak accident. An incident of low probability (provided horse and rider are within their scope of capabilities) but relatively high catastrophe.

FWIW, some years ago I looked into rotational falls at Training and below. There was some language in the original TRL study about the point of the shoulder as a rotating point - I forget the specifics but it suggested Prelim/CCI* (at the time) and above. Add to that, I’d personally witnessed several rotational falls at T.

The POI that seemed to repeat was broken hips and pelvis. The POI wasn’t head/neck/spine as in upper-level rotational, it was lower down. Again, this was based on informal research into a small number of incidents.

Leave a comment:

• KellyS
    replied
    Through my husband's job, he met someone who is an ICU nurse and who attended a large *** event up this way as a spectator with her daughters (who event). They witnessed someone have a terrying fall at the event and this nurse shared how poor the care was for this person, who ended up dying.

Basically, the rider never had a chance. There was only a BLS (basic life support) crew on hand (I don't know what is required by FEI but if it's only BLS, maybe that needs to be changed) and the show management would not allow a helicopter to come and fly the person to a trauma center because "it would scare the horses." There are a lot more details that are appalling but I can't share them without giving away the person and event and I won't do that because I do not feel that is fair.

So, it's not just that people are dying, it's the attitude of the people in the sport toward not only death but to safety in general and appropriate care to avoid death. It is very cavalier at times. Thus, any time someone says "don't talk about it" or "you can do everything and still have a death", it makes me wonder:

1. When is the appropriate time to talk about it? According to many who post any time a death happens, it would be never.

2. Do we even know what "everything" is? We don't even have conclusive data on safety vests. How can we know that everything being done is safe as it can be? From the equipment to the training to competing, there are still a lot of unknowns.

This is a tough topic. Unfortunately, it comes up again and again.

This isn't about adults making decisions...it's about children and horses and it is our responsibility to make sure they are protected as much as possible from fatal accidents.

How can anyone argue against having that conversation?

Leave a comment:

• poltroon
    replied
    Originally posted by RAyers View Post
    For those who believe that I don’t care, as somebody who has seen people die (including on XC), I don’t take things like this lightly. I’ve lost friends and had friends horribly injured on XC. And trust me, you only need to hear the bones break and see lifeless bodies more than once to develop a passion to use your skills and experience to push for greater safety.

Again, looking for cause takes nothing away from anything. It is not assigning blame (that is a legal concept only, not engineering or science).
    I really appreciate the time and energy and expertise you put into safety in equestrian sport, both here and in the committees where you've served.

I think it's hard to know what to think about this accident without knowing the obstacle involved or the circumstances. IME, which is merely anecdotal, the severe accidents we see at Training and below tend to be general horse-sport deaths rather than being particular to cross-country. Christopher Reeves had his accident because his horse stopped. I'm reminded of a similarly tragic accident to a teenager in our area several years ago when she was warming up at an event - she was cantering on the rail when the horse tripped and fell and she suffered a horrific TBI. In the hunters and jumpers, solid plywood walls, coops, and rolltops up to 3' are used. Rotational falls do happen there occasionally.

On smaller fences, it seems to be related to some combination of the horse losing his footing, excessive speed, or having some other dramatic health event at the worst time such that he does not properly take off for the jump. There's no question that at Prelim and above we have the additional factors of prescribed speed, higher jumps, fatigue, and obstacles that are more challenging for the horse to read and interpret in time.

Certainly, if there's something that can be improved about this fence, we all want to know.

Leave a comment:

• RAyers
    replied
    For those who believe that I don’t care, as somebody who has seen people die (including on XC), I don’t take things like this lightly. I’ve lost friends and had friends horribly injured on XC. And trust me, you only need to hear the bones break and see lifeless bodies more than once to develop a passion to use your skills and experience to push for greater safety.

Again, looking for cause takes nothing away from anything. It is not assigning blame (that is a legal concept only, not engineering or science).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X