Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Ashley Stout , 13 and her horse, killed in Rotational Fall (Named to YR Training team)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTV
    replied
    Originally posted by RAyers View Post

So we should stop while another rider was also killed in the UK? Should we not discuss airline safety when the 737MAX jets crashed? I mean those 350 families must feel horrible that others were actively investigating and discussing the deaths. Should the coroner's inquest in the UK be halted to help the family heal?

What about the time when the young rider in Italy was killed? Or the girl in California? Or the man in Arizona? What about the riders who have broken their backs and are limited in their abilities now?

This is not a debate. There is no great time to have this talk. Randomly bringing it up creates disinterest.

Until the participants of the sport actually get involved and advocate for active investigation and collection of data, we will have this conversation AGAIN when the next kid is killed. It is time to stop hiding and do something to help the sport and the participants.
    My point is we are grieving. The pain we feel is gut wrenching. Please for the love of Good have sympathy for us.

Leave a comment:

• MTV
    replied
    Continue the conversation next week. We are grieving.

Leave a comment:

• IFG
    replied
    Originally posted by RAyers View Post

So we should stop while another rider was also killed in the UK? Should we not discuss airline safety when the 737MAX jets crashed? I mean those 350 families must feel horrible that others were actively investigating and discussing the deaths. Should the coroner's inquest in the UK be halted to help the family heal?

What about the time when the young rider in Italy was killed? Or the girl in California? Or the man in Arizona? What about the riders who have broken their backs and are limited in their abilities now?

This is not a debate. There is no great time to have this talk. Randomly bringing it up creates disinterest.

Until the participants of the sport actually get involved and advocate for active investigation and collection of data, we will have this conversation AGAIN when the next kid is killed. It is time to stop hiding and do something to help the sport and the participants.
    Thank you Reed.

When my kids were in Pony Club, one of our members died in a riding accident. Were we grieving? Absolutely. Were we asking questions so that another child's life might be saved? Most definitely.

Leave a comment:

• sassparella
    replied
    As hard as it may be, I would have found it far more disconcerting if this thread didn’t exist. If that time comes, we will have surely lost our souls and our sport. I don't believe a single poster on this thread has not shed some tears.
    Thoughts & prayers for those close to this young rider and her horse.

Leave a comment:

• Denali6298
    replied
    Ya know if this thread was about an UL rider and an adult people’s reactions would be different. Fact is this kid could out ride many people posting here about how it’s in bad taste.

It’s heartbreaking. But I want people to raise the issue. I want the studies.

Leave a comment:

• RAyers
    replied
    Originally posted by MTV View Post
    please stop this thread now!! Our young people are trying to make sense if it all and are searching the internet. When they come across the debates it intensifies their pain it does not help. On behalf of our Centre Co. Equestrian community I ask that this debate be stopped while we mourn!!

Leave a comment:

• MTV
    replied
    I have not read through all these replies so I do not know if anyone from our community has posted.
    How can people debate the death of a child and horse, especially so soon after our community's loss. The losses our community has gone through this week are horrible! It's terrible to get on the internet and see these debates. I have to hold back vomiting every hour thinking of the things I've been though this week. Nothing but prayers for our community's young equestrian and our horses should be spoken!
    We are mourning. Our farm is a few miles away and yesterday we had a freak (truely "freak") accident. A horse broke its leg in the pasture. It was horrible, he was a well known local show horse. I was the one who laid with the horse during his death. All I want to do is vomit, it has been a horrbile week for us.
    please stop this thread now!! Our young people are trying to make sense if it all and are searching the internet. When they come across the debates it intensifies their pain it does not help. On behalf of our Centre Co. Equestrian community I ask that this debate be stopped while we mourn!!

Leave a comment:

• Prime Time Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by asb_own_me View Post

I am with you on all counts. I was telling my husband last night that although many would take this in a negative way, I would like to know the details about the fence/approach. Did the horse take a bad step? Chip in or take a long spot? I think the "whys" can only help us all be safer.

It is heartbreaking to have lost such a talented young rider. My condolences to her family.
    Does it really matter if the horse chipped in, took a bad step or take off from a long spot? How would that information (if it could be objectively obtained ) make the sport safer? Unless you are a very accurate professional rider, how could the rider prevent the horse taking a bad step, chipping in or taking a long spot? How many of us go out and deliberately "miss' a distance? Does anyone ride a horse to a jump with the intention of chipping in, unless it is a trainer trying to gauge how a horse will tolerate the inevitable mistakes the beginner rider is going to make? If we knew the horse had a rotational fall due to the distance is that suddenly going to make us all better riders? Speaking as someone who has experienced more chips to a jump than a chocolate chip cookie, the only way I could ensure never to chip a distance is basically to never jump again. As far as a "bad" step, how is any rider going to fix that?

Riding is a dangerous sport. Jumping increases the danger of falling, and jumping around a cross country course is statistically more dangerous than jumping in an arena. Yes, we should strive to make the sport safer through requiring better rider safety equipment and safer jumps, but the bottom line is that if you ride you are participating in a dangerous sport.

Leave a comment:

• BayWithABlaze18
    replied
    I am going to agree with frugalannie and add to it. I completely agree (and I am not an eventer, so take my thoughts as you will) that the sport needs to collect information and do every single thing in its power to make it safer for horses and humans alike. The more [accurate] information that is shared among competitors and governing bodies the better.

That said, I think it is a bit unrealistic for a parent/family member/friend to come upon a thread with their daughter/cousins/best friend's name in it and not read it. So, I like the idea of reclassifying/renaming the thread so that any grieving family members who happen upon it are not taken aback by the commentary.

Please continue having the discussion. It is needed and warranted. I grieve for the young life cut short and the loss of a talented horse.

Leave a comment:

• asb_own_me
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    This is horrific, in my mind particularly because the horse was solid and young, not old or of questionable soundness, and because it sounds like the jump was not ridiculously large. I’ve always thought of my plebeian lower level being fairly safe. Also horrific because the rider was so young.

I’m honestly interested in seeing the jump and approach. I don’t think of a fence under 3’ being capable of causing a rotational fall, but obviously it is.
    I am with you on all counts. I was telling my husband last night that although many would take this in a negative way, I would like to know the details about the fence/approach. Did the horse take a bad step? Chip in or take a long spot? I think the "whys" can only help us all be safer.

It is heartbreaking to have lost such a talented young rider. My condolences to her family.

Leave a comment:

• evilc123
    replied
    Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

Just to clarify, it was the media who used that term and that was my issue with it. Portraying to the public these things are freak accidents when they are just way too common to be called that.
    I agree with literally every single word you've posted on this thread...but I do want to note that the media actually borrowed this term from the statement given by the owner of the property upon which this accident occurred. I think this is a pretty important [and disappointing] distinction.

Leave a comment:

• kcmel
    replied
    Originally posted by knic13 View Post

Who said I am not involved in the sport?
    Sorry, I wasn't talking about you. I meant that if, for example, a western pleasure rider came on this thread and wanted to know details about the accident, that might be considered "rubbernecking". (Although of course that person might have a legitimate reason for wanting to know).

Leave a comment:

• Denali6298
    replied
    Originally posted by Highflyer View Post

There's no first-hand information here, though, and there's not likely to be. Even if someone witnessed the accident and was able to provide a detailed account of it, it would be extremely hurtful and tactless to publicly do so in a place where her family and friends are likely to see it. So really all the expert posters here can do is argue about semantics and speculate about what might have happened.

I'm not saying that nothing should change in this sport or that it's not frustrating that the USEA/USEF/FEI has not been more productive, but I am saying that if they ever do, it's not going to happen here because an anonymous bulletin board user was corrected for using the term "freak accident" when expressing their condolences.
    My reply was to the poster who said people here aren’t equipped nor have the background for such studies. Last I checked that was not the case.

Leave a comment:

• frugalannie
    replied
    Jealoushe, I respect what you are doing collecting and discussing information about fatalities in eventing. Some of the discomfort with this particular thread might be because two different subjects have been mixed: condolences and discussion about the broader safety issues. (I'm guilty of this too, in this very thread.) Might I suggest that you consider changing the title of this thread to more clearly indicate the direction the discussion has gone? And then maybe a separate condolence thread will be started.

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied
    Originally posted by Highflyer View Post

I'm not saying that nothing should change in this sport or that it's not frustrating that the USEA/USEF/FEI has not been more productive, but I am saying that if they ever do, it's not going to happen here because an anonymous bulletin board user was corrected for using the term "freak accident" when expressing their condolences.
    Just to clarify, it was the media who used that term and that was my issue with it. Portraying to the public these things are freak accidents when they are just way too common to be called that.

Leave a comment:

• Highflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post

There are posters here who are perfect for that job. There are posters here who tried to volunteer for that job. There are posters here who conduct these studies.
    There's no first-hand information here, though, and there's not likely to be. Even if someone witnessed the accident and was able to provide a detailed account of it, it would be extremely hurtful and tactless to publicly do so in a place where her family and friends are likely to see it. So really all the expert posters here can do is argue about semantics and speculate about what might have happened.

Leave a comment:

• Jealoushe
    replied

I’m saying that even if we had all the details WE aren’t the right people to do the research and come up with meaningful conclusions. As an eventer and someone who has a PhD I am very invested in seeing GOOD research on safety in this sport but as a group we are not equipped to do it. Which is why I made a comment on efforts being better spent on lobbying for the right organization to collect the data and employ the scientists and statisticians to bring meaning to what are otherwise a bunch of anecdotes. I didn’t say no one needed to know the details but WE don’t need to know the details of this accident.
    I'm trying hard not to let these gaslighting distraction tactics posts get to me, but I just can't scroll past this one.

I find it impossible to believe that someone who has a PHD does not understand the value of discussion and ideas. As a highly educated person, I don't need to explain that to you, I am sure you are aware at the importance, from ALL aspects of the sport and participants, watching, listening, reporting, taking notes, etc.

Are you really implying that if someone other than someone involved in a scientific study that meets your standards were to notice a pattern in horse falls, that you would think it was a bad idea that they brought this forward? You think someone other than TPTB keeping track of all the fatalaties and the whos the whats and the whys is not important, and that we don't need to know the details?

I am in the sport, I am supporting it, competing in it, helping it grow and sustaining it. I deserve to know if there are factors putting me more at risk than I need to be when I step out of the starting box.

I am sorry people are upset by these posts looking for answers, but I am not going to apologize for creating important discussions, year after year. I have not once said or even implied anything negative towards this incident, nor used it as a "car wreck" to get my kicks. It is sick you would even suggest that and users of this forum may not all love me but I can guarantee you they won't say I'm here to hurt anyone or cause drama as you imply.

The issue of eventing safety is important to me, my life depends on it as do many others. People can choose not to read the thread if they are hurt by the discussion, it is that simple.

Leave a comment:

• Denali6298
    replied

I’m saying that even if we had all the details WE aren’t the right people to do the research and come up with meaningful conclusions. As an eventer and someone who has a PhD I am very invested in seeing GOOD research on safety in this sport but as a group we are not equipped to do it. Which is why I made a comment on efforts being better spent on lobbying for the right organization to collect the data and employ the scientists and statisticians to bring meaning to what are otherwise a bunch of anecdotes. I didn’t say no one needed to know the details but WE don’t need to know the details of this accident.
    There are posters here who are perfect for that job. There are posters here who tried to volunteer for that job. There are posters here who conduct these studies.

Leave a comment:

• knic13
    replied
    Originally posted by Rnichols View Post
    As a rider and a mom, this tragedy really got me thinking. Earlier this year I went cross country schooling with a very green OTTB. He didn’t pick up his feet in time and fell down, yes FELL DOWN, over an intro fence. That rocked by confidence and made me pause and re-evaluate what I was doing for a minute. It was obviously an accident, but it still happened. I believe that accidents will likely always happen in this sport, but tragedies (i.e: horse and rider deaths) can certainly be avoided or at the very least reduced given proper research. Which makes me wonder why anyone on this thread would not support research being done to have this not happen again? There is NO WAY anyone on this thread is trying to examine what happened to be “nosey” or “rubberneck”. I think it comes from a genuine place of concern and wanting to help. And, pardon me, but I place ZERO trust in the FEI to collect sufficient data and have the results analyzed. Remember when we were all in an uproar about bloody mouths? And what did they do the following year – ban unattached neck straps. Like, really?

It seems like every time something like this happens, one of these threads come up and the same conversation happens over and over. There’s always people saying “now isn’t the right time”….okay, well WHEN is the right time, then? If information can be collected to create further safety standards to reduce risks, why would anyone object to that, regardless of the timing of when the information is collected? I do hope that information can be gathered from this incident in order to reduce the likelihood that this will happen again. Personally, I feel like collecting information to prevent or reduce the risk of this happening again is significantly better sending thoughts & prayers. Just my two cents, for whatever that’s worth (probably less than 2 cents, really).

I hope that nobody takes what I’m saying the wrong way. My sincere condolences go out to that poor family. I can’t imagine losing a daughter so young.

Leave a comment:

• TMares
    replied
    There’s always people saying “now isn’t the right time”….okay, well WHEN is the right time, then?

Those closest to her, her family, her friends, her trainer, anyone else riding that morning- they will be going to her visitation tonight, and attending her funeral services tomorrow.

So maybe 'we' could wait until she's buried. Is that reasonable?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X