Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

528KerwinHill-003-HDRInternet
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Bramham.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bramham.

Live stream; https://livestream.com/gbse

Website; http://bramham-horse.co.uk/competiti...ree-day-event/

Entries/scores etc; http://www.bdwp.co.uk/bra/

Some US entries in the 4*S.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Thank you for posting this information. I think it's too bad that we have two USA riders competing there, and there's almost no (or at least no *timely*) reporting of how they're doing. I hear lots of talk about how USA riders need to get more international experience, yet when they do, there's very little coverage. Unless they're already a BNR of course.
    Yvonne Lucas
    Red Moon Farm
    redmoonfarm.com

"Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect." - Jim Wofford

"Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant." - Jim Wofford

Comment

• Original Poster

Give these folks a kick ! https://www.chronofhorse.com/directory/List/type/36
      ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

The 2 Americans finish top 20 in a very large field (I think it said 85 starters?!) Well done.

Comment

A bit concerning there were 4 frangible pin releases in the under 25s. I wonder if Equiratings includes these in their data research, and if anyone is paying attention to the horses and riders who are getting these.
          Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
            A bit concerning there were 4 frangible pin releases in the under 25s. I wonder if Equiratings includes these in their data research, and if anyone is paying attention to the horses and riders who are getting these.
            In the long format there were 10/61 (16%) seniors and 4/23 (17%) U25 ... from those who completed who triggered a frangible. There were a high number of seniors who didn’t complete so difficult to know if that is higher.

To my mind that isn't sufficient variation to condemn the U25’s on alone. Although the frequency overall would be interesting to review.

I watched a lot of the coverage, I want to say fence 4 & fence 8 (but could have got that wrong) seemed to take the brunt of the 11 penalties. 8A was particularly troublesome and might need a review. But actually I think the purpose of the pins was served well.

Bramham looked tough this year (and it’s always a tough one)

Comment

Originally posted by headbrickwall View Post

In the long format there were 10/61 (16%) seniors and 4/23 (17%) U25 ... from those who completed who triggered a frangible. There were a high number of seniors who didn’t complete so difficult to know if that is higher.

To my mind that isn't sufficient variation to condemn the U25’s on alone. Although the frequency overall would be interesting to review.

I watched a lot of the coverage, I want to say fence 4 & fence 8 (but could have got that wrong) seemed to take the brunt of the 11 penalties. 8A was particularly troublesome and might need a review. But actually I think the purpose of the pins was served well.

Bramham looked tough this year (and it’s always a tough one)
              I didn't notice on the seniors sorry, wasn't trying to discriminate or anything. They just stood out to me. Seems like a lot. I'm glad they are doing the job, but also a bit concerned there are that many horses triggering them!

I hope someone is looking at these and comparing the results, seeing which fences maybe horses aren't reading the best. Or horses or riders who are having repetitive 11 penalties at different events.
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

The weather/footing must have had a large part in that. I would guess that less experience at these levels means it's a bit more difficult to stay calm and make the needed adjustments.
                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Ian Stark is certainly paying attention (and from their explanations of how their algorithms work, so does Equiratings).

“There was, possibly, more trouble than I’d have like, especially where the pins breaking is concerned,” says course designer Ian Stark. “They’re there for safety reasons, and though some were unlucky – and I’d really have loved those riders not to have had eleven penalties – others wouldn’t have stayed in the saddle, or upright, if not for the pins. They did their job.”
                  He went on to address what he saw as the bigger rider issues on course:

“At all ages, they have to learn to ride a coffin,” he says. “Some of the riding was great, but others kept winging into it – and actually, I’m surprised there’s not more accidents as a result. There’s not enough of an education in riding these types of fences; many of the riders, if they were intimidated by it, just galloped at it. I think a coffin is a great fence, if the horses are ridden and trained correctly, and I’m not going to back off using them, but people need to train more often over them. They don’t need to train them at four-star height, but they do need to train the concept.”

Another crucial concept that Ian hopes to impart across his courses is the ability to analyse lines and adapt them to suit the horse in question.

“Some of the riders have got it in their heads that I want them forward all the time – if I give them a shorter distance, they think I want them to go on one less stride. But actually, it’s about terrain, it’s about the question, and it’s about the horse. They have to learn to read the questions better; they think I galloped everywhere out of control when I was eventing, but actually, apart from the odd day on Murphy Himself, I was never out of control,” he says with a laugh. “I’ve tried to make the distances more open [to interpretation] – they can decide to go forward, or to shorten up, but it’s not a set stride pattern. They have to decide what will work.”

Ultimately, Ian’s aim is to help riders and horses improve and grow as they take to his tracks. It’s important, he points out, that competitors know that course designers are available to help the riders.

“I’m here to answer riders’ questions, and I’m always happy to do course walks, too – but maybe some of the riders are intimidated [by the idea of seeking me out]. This is still a training level – sure, it’s at the top of the level, but it’s meant to help riders progress. I’d be horrified if I though I’d tricked the horses.”
                  https://eventingnation.com/bramham-c...n-level-drama/

Comment

Ian is amazing. We need more like him in our sport!
                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

BE analyses every jump at every event over the season. Course builders in the UK are definitely moving back to more open and variable distances where the rider has to ride with feel and judgement and not just count strides. Some so called 'old fashioned' fences are also making a reappearance such as the ditch at Badminton this year. Personally, I am constantly amazed at the number of competitors who don't understand how to ride a 'coffin' and use speed to get themselves into trouble.
                      "Good young horses are bred, but good advanced horses are trained" Sam Griffiths

Comment

Working...
                      X