Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Rear ankle boots for aggressive galloping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear ankle boots for aggressive galloping?

I was told to ask this question in the eventing forum.
    I have a gelding in race training that occasionally hits himself (LR ankle) while galloping, I would like to find a protective boot that will still allow him to gallop aggressively and one that will stay in place. This would eliminate the need for daily wraps and pads. While boots and guards are often used in Europe, they are seldom used for race training here in the USA, so finding any trainer with boot knowledge is near impossible. That is why I am asking here. What is your experience, what would you recommend and will boots accomplish the goal? Will they stay on? Model/brand suggestions?

XC boots will certainly allow aggressive galloping! After trying lots of brands, I am very partial to the Premier XC boots. I find that they stay in place better than any others and they seem to almost mold to the shape of the horse's leg. I've heard that Dalmars can snap and break through the leather exterior. Majyk is popular but they slid down my horse's leg and also the lining ripped after only a few uses. I don't have experience with Woof event boots, though I do like their regular galloping boots. Sounds like you should throw some bell boots on the fronts too if you don't already.

Comment

Dalmars are too expensive for what they are worth. I agree that the Majyk boots don’t always fit well.

I like Tri-zone and Shires Arma boots. Light weight, good breathability and don’t really move. They also take the hits and hold up.

Comment

I have been really impressed with my set of Mr. Stockings boots. They are made in Germany; looks like many of their clientele in the US are in the Combined Driving world because that is what their US rep does. And, bonus, they are customizable! https://mr-stockingsusa.com/

Comment

For serious interference, Roma or Weatherbeeta molded galloping boots work well. They have a hard plastic splint guard that covers the inner fetlock where most horses interfere in the hind ankles. The lining is washable waffle texture, does not hold water and so less likely to get heavy and slip down at speed. Easy to hose sand off and dries quickly. Double Velcro.
          https://www.statelinetack.com/item/r...fit-hind-boots
          A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
          ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

For racing/training you want a light weight breathable boot. And one that stays in place. Many xc boots were built for galloping. I like these as they are quite flexible and light but still protective. https://www.horsehealth.co.uk/horsew...ir-black-front

though it really depends on how he interferes. You may just be fine with a good brushing boot (and that may be more affordable).
            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

If he's just hitting at the fetlock and never higher you might try simple ankle boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulligan314 View Post
                I have been really impressed with my set of Mr. Stockings boots. They are made in Germany; looks like many of their clientele in the US are in the Combined Driving world because that is what their US rep does. And, bonus, they are customizable! https://mr-stockingsusa.com/
                Internationally they are really marketed towards CDE, eventing or dressage use is a lot more limited, which is a shame because they fit like a glove and do. not. move.
                Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Originally posted by eqsiu View Post
                  If he's just hitting at the fetlock and never higher you might try simple ankle boots.
                  If you think this style would work, they have three slightly different versions. In addition to the one linked above, there is a protection boot (which has extra neoprene hanging down around the pastern), and the Ankle Boot II, which has a taller strike pad.

Otherwise, I like Dalmars and Equilibrium Tri-Zones.

Comment

I'm not even sure they make them anymore, but circa 2004, I used Equifit's t foam bandage liners. They were a harder, perforated foam that was molded to a horse's leg. You had to wrap them under a bandage, but they never moved.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
                      Dalmars are too expensive for what they are worth. I agree that the Majyk boots don’t always fit well.

I like Tri-zone and Shires Arma boots. Light weight, good breathability and don’t really move. They also take the hits and hold up.
                      I'm going to second the Shires Arma boots. They've been a great value. The cost is not so steep, they've held up, and they have breathability. I even bought a "back up set" but my original 4 haven't failed me yet.

Comment

Here are a couple of H&H reviews; one is of XC boots; the other is of tendon and fetlock boots.
                        XC
                        https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/buye...es-2018-673131
                        tendon and fetlock
                        https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/feat...k-boots-506130
                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

A zillion years ago I had a horse that ran down while galloping on xc. The solution was a hind ankle version of these boots. Now a days they don't make the only ankle version but these should work well. (And I used to work at the track so I know it'll be ok there too so long as you thoroughly clean the sand out each day)

https://horseboots.com/products/gall...e-lock-leather
                          "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Working...
                          X