Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

CR groom space
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse crosses hind feet when he jumps--is this okay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse crosses hind feet when he jumps--is this okay?

I noticed this in an upper-level horse I was photographing. Is this okay? It looks so weird in a photo. He's not my horse and don't know the rider personally. Surely the rider knows about this? Just wondering and sorry if it's a stupid question!

I'd imagine it's fine. Just that horse's style. Look up Cortez C ridden by Beezie. He crosses his fronts!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cortes c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	10392537

Comment

Agree, if you watch Grand Prix show jumping you see some crazy looking styles!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Coincidentally, I just saw a photo of a different horse crossing its back feet--I guess it's not uncommon!

Comment

It's not desirable, but definitely not uncommon. Lots of horses that toe out behind tend to cross hind legs over the bigger fences. You obviously don't want the extremes, but it's typically just a result of conformation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Benchmark View Post
            It's not desirable, but definitely not uncommon. Lots of horses that toe out behind tend to cross hind legs over the bigger fences. You obviously don't want the extremes, but it's typically just a result of conformation.
            Thanks! I haven't seen the horse standing still. I'm curious to get another look now.

Comment

Originally posted by endlessclimb View Post
              I'd imagine it's fine. Just that horse's style. Look up Cortez C ridden by Beezie. He crosses his fronts!
              La Biosthetique - Sam FBW also crosses his front legs. At this rate, I'm considering it a selling feature though to be fair I've never noticed a horse doing it with their hind legs.

https://assets.eventingnation.com/ev...e-Sam-FBW1.jpg

Comment

• Original Poster

It just alarmed me when I saw the photo, because it seems like it would be so easy for the feet to get tangled and for something bad to happen... but I think I'd rather that they crossed behind.

Comment

Big difference between crossing fronts and hinds over a fence, bigger difference about jumping sticks vs solid obstacles... Crossing hinds in which way?

I agree not entirely uncommon over BIG efforts, but not ideal. Sometimes they will cross if they toe out behind, like Benchmark said (and means they are usually quite sickle-hocked), other times, they do it when they've reached their maximum scope and are just trying to clear the fence behind.
                  AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Marigold View Post

La Biosthetique - Sam FBW also crosses his front legs. At this rate, I'm considering it a selling feature though to be fair I've never noticed a horse doing it with their hind legs.

https://assets.eventingnation.com/ev...e-Sam-FBW1.jpg
                    That’s quite the picture!
                    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Originally posted by KBC View Post

That’s quite the picture!
                      Yes, it's quite something! He did it often (but not always). I didn't put this one up as my original example because it's harder to see, but if you think it's crazy over a brush element, here he is doing it over the Vicarage Vee

https://assets.eventingnation.com/ev...0.26.32-PM.png

Comment

My GP horse crosses his hinds over every jump (always left hind over right hind). It's not unusual.

ETA: I had no idea my horse did it until I was watching a slo-mo replay of the livecast of a GP several years in to my guy's GP career. I may have noticed it in a photo here or there, but didn't realize he did it over every single fence until that point.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                          Big difference between crossing fronts and hinds over a fence, bigger difference about jumping sticks vs solid obstacles... Crossing hinds in which way?

I agree not entirely uncommon over BIG efforts, but not ideal. Sometimes they will cross if they toe out behind, like Benchmark said (and means they are usually quite sickle-hocked), other times, they do it when they've reached their maximum scope and are just trying to clear the fence behind.
                          It appeared that the horse was crossing just his back feet, with one pastern over the other. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that horse had reached his maximum scope--it wasn't that big a jump, but it was a cross-country obstacle. Actually, he did it twice in one water complex--both were narrow jumps with brush on top, I think. I need to go back and look at my photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Marigold View Post

Yes, it's quite something! He did it often (but not always). I didn't put this one up as my original example because it's harder to see, but if you think it's crazy over a brush element, here he is doing it over the Vicarage Vee

https://assets.eventingnation.com/ev...0.26.32-PM.png
                            Oh WOW...
                            "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                              My guy does toe out behind (slightly), but is not sickle hocked at all. He also does it regardless of height. Actually, I have a shot over one of the biggest oxers we ever jumped in a big GP that was probably the only evidence I ever have of him not doing it (and I think that's because he *was* jumping for his life, lol!). The last of the attached photos is a water jump that is barely an effort for him....but still crossed hinds.

But from a conformational standpoint, my guy does kind of tight rope walk behind, so I chalk that up to being a reason for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X