Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Copy of asbury aerial
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

LRK3DE 2024 close to the next US total solar eclipse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LRK3DE 2024 close to the next US total solar eclipse

    There is a total solar eclipse within 2 hours of the Kentucky Horse Park in 2024.
    April 8, 2024 total solar eclipse information website: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/

    For people who only take a week off of work at a time and do not live close to Lexington, it would be a great vacation to experience the total solar eclipse on Monday, April 8, 2024 then attend the LRK3DE the following weekend.

    Through the LRK3DE's "Contact Us" website page, I made that suggestion. The Director of Ticketing responded that they have not yet set a date for 2024, but it is unlikely to run near the beginning of April because it is traditional for it to run the last weekend of April.

    Maybe if a lot of people send the suggestion to run the 2024 LRK3DE the weekend following the total solar eclipse, spectators visiting from far away and everyone participating in the LRK3DE can enjoy nature's big event before the equestrian big event.

    LRK3DE “Contact Us” website page: https://kentuckythreedayevent.com/contact-us/

    For the equestrians participating, a bonus to having the LRK3DE run earlier in April is that it would give more time before the Badminton Horse Trials.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ChestnutPhoebe;

    For the equestrians participating, a bonus to having the LRK3DE run earlier in April is that it would give more time before the Badminton Horse Trials.
    But less time to prep for Kentucky. Especially if weather is not cooperating. 2019 winter was fairly mild in the East.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by jcraig10 View Post

      But less time to prep for Kentucky. Especially if weather is not cooperating. 2019 winter was fairly mild in the East.
      I'm thinking that a lot of the 5* American competitors winter in the Ocala area.

      Comment


      • #4
        A few weeks makes a real big difference in the weather.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Manahmanah View Post
          A few weeks makes a real big difference in the weather.
          Indeed. Last year at Spring Bay in early April (spring HT at KHP) it snowed. Not a huge amount, but enough to cover the ground. Our area usually gets at least one snow in April.
          ***
          The hardest to learn was the least complicated.

          Comment

          • Original Poster

            #6
            Originally posted by kt View Post

            Indeed. Last year at Spring Bay in early April (spring HT at KHP) it snowed. Not a huge amount, but enough to cover the ground. Our area usually gets at least one snow in April.
            I was not aware that it snowed in April there. I had seen that there are events at the KHP in early April. Is snow more slippery than rain? Did the Spring Bay HT get interrupted or cancelled?

            Comment


            • #7
              While it sounds like a good idea, the most recent eclipse also passed through KY. A lot of hotels in the area, even little mom-and-pops (think the Bates motel) were booked literally years in advance. There were also a lot of traffic issues. We had a great time because we drove in several days early, stayed with family, and didn’t have to try to leave for a few days after. That kind of impact on the resources of the area might make it tricky to pull off another major event just a few days later.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Manahmanah View Post
                A few weeks makes a real big difference in the weather.
                Well then, move the eclipse.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ChestnutPhoebe View Post

                  I was not aware that it snowed in April there. I had seen that there are events at the KHP in early April. Is snow more slippery than rain? Did the Spring Bay HT get interrupted or cancelled?
                  The event went on. I think it mostly fell on Saturday, when they ran only dressage and stadium— so everyone was in sand arenas, which I’m sure helped with any potential footing issues. I think it had all melted by Sunday/XC day.

                  See the top pic on this EN story... pretty crazy!

                  http://eventingnation.com/weekend-re...ll-spring-bay/
                  ***
                  The hardest to learn was the least complicated.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Toblersmom View Post
                    While it sounds like a good idea, the most recent eclipse also passed through KY. A lot of hotels in the area, even little mom-and-pops (think the Bates motel) were booked literally years in advance. There were also a lot of traffic issues. We had a great time because we drove in several days early, stayed with family, and didn’t have to try to leave for a few days after. That kind of impact on the resources of the area might make it tricky to pull off another major event just a few days later.
                    This. I lived in Bowling Green, KY during the last eclipse. It was great for us because we lived just on the line of totality, so we just huddled down, stayed in, and still got to see it. I think traveling in would have been a disaster though, and hotels were truly booked up (even way out where we were) years in advance at hundreds of dollars above reasonable price. I'm grateful that they aren't likely to occur in the same week, even though theoretically it would be super cool!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      While it's a neat thought, I think it's impossible that the crown jewel of US eventing is moved up 20 days for an eclipse. It's too early in the year, for reliable competition weather, and getting horses fit and prepared in time. It likely conflicts with traditional FEI prep events like The Fork or Chatt Hills.

                      Most European horses don't start their eventing seasons in January. It would all but eliminate the international entries.
                      A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
                      ? Albert Einstein

                      ~AJ~

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by kt View Post

                        The event went on. I think it mostly fell on Saturday, when they ran only dressage and stadium— so everyone was in sand arenas, which I’m sure helped with any potential footing issues. I think it had all melted by Sunday/XC day.

                        See the top pic on this EN story... pretty crazy!

                        http://eventingnation.com/weekend-re...ll-spring-bay/
                        I hadn't seen that one. The author does make it sound like snow is not the norm. Maybe I'll visit Spring Bay HT while I'm in the area for the eclipse.

                        I traveled to South Carolina for the last one. While the traffic was more than what I presume is normal on the day of the eclipse, it was not bad enough to keep me from going to the next eclipse. I had no problem booking a car and hotels at normal prices six months in advance of the eclipse. Six months is a normal booking lead time for any vacation IMO. The city I stayed in was in the path of the total eclipse. I came across other visitors who said they were there for the eclipse, but the city was not uncomfortably crowded. After the eclipse, I went on with the rest of my vacation without noticing abnormally large crowds.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It would be horrible to try to work out hotels and traffic. This last one jammed up all traffic and hotels were insanely expensive. It definitely would make it much harder for some to make it then.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X