Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

martingales in cross country

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martingales in cross country

So, in the rules, it states that you can only use running martingales, right? not germans or standings....or draws...
    explanaions on that?

But gags are ok. Why is this?

If you are using a german or standing martingale or draw reins on cross country and the horse gets in a bad place, they are unable to use their neck to balance and hopefully stay on their feet.
    A gag is a bit; it has no more ability to inhibit neck use then any other bit. Therefore, if the horse gets in trouble, they are still able to use their neck to balance.

Comment

Yep, any martingale that can lock a horse's head and neck is basically asking for a flip, broken neck, and a great dismount from the rider.

Additionally, they prevent a horse from STRECHING ACROSS a fence as what is needed on XC (perhaps not at the low levels, but training is where it begins). Thus the hinder the horse's ability to actually jump xc.

And additionally, additionally, they prevent a horse from galloping and streching out into an efficient frame to cover the ground.

This aint h/j land.

Comment

Like solarflight said, standing martingales, German martingales, and draw reins effectively bind the horse's head to its chest. In an emergency or extraordinary effort, they can severely inhibit the horse's ability to maintain its balance.

A running martingale or leverage bit may incur an unpleasant jab to the mouth and poll, but they don't solidly (since the running slides on the reins) connect the head and chest with a piece of leather. It's that reason I've never understood the preponderance of standing martingales in the foxhunting field.

As an aside, if one feels like one needs a German martingale or draw reins to compete cross country in an event, one needs to invest in more training at home.
        Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

side note- why do I see some people using a breast collar and a separate additional running, rather than a BC with a running attachment?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDown View Post
            side note- why do I see some people using a breast collar and a separate additional running, rather than a BC with a running attachment?
            perhaps that is what they have and didn't feel like buying an attachment piece or they use the running martingale on different horses? who knows. who cares

Comment

DoubleDown
              Generally, the martingale attachments don't fit properly (too short, often), so the real martingale needs to be used in addition to the breast collar/plate.
              I know (I think) and I care (moreso than I know, often - okay I'm actually obsessive) about properly fitting tack
              Can't learn anything with a closed mind! with thanks to mug

Comment

Originally posted by WNT View Post
                Like solarflight said, standing martingales, German martingales, and draw reins effectively bind the horse's head to its chest. In an emergency or extraordinary effort, they can severely inhibit the horse's ability to maintain its balance.

A running martingale or leverage bit may incur an unpleasant jab to the mouth and poll, but they don't solidly (since the running slides on the reins) connect the head and chest with a piece of leather. It's that reason I've never understood the preponderance of standing martingales in the foxhunting field.

As an aside, if one feels like one needs a German martingale or draw reins to compete cross country in an event, one needs to invest in more training at home.
                Just to clarify even further, no one should jump in a German martingale ever, anywhere. Jumping safely in draw reins requires excellent riding and timing and even then they are only useful in very limited situations.

Comment

Originally posted by fanfayre View Post

DoubleDown
                  Generally, the martingale attachments don't fit properly (too short, often), so the real martingale needs to be used in addition to the breast collar/plate.
                  I know (I think) and I care (moreso than I know, often - okay I'm actually obsessive) about properly fitting tack
                  I had to get my martingale attachment for the big draft cross custom made - find with the off the rack ones I always seem to have buy a size bigger than the horse usually is considered.

Comment

Originally posted by StrawberryFields View Post

perhaps that is what they have and didn't feel like buying an attachment piece or they use the running martingale on different horses? who knows. who cares
                    SUPER helpful, thanks.

Thanks fanfayre just curious if there was a legit training reason behind it as I see it on lots of the UL horses. I like to learn how others do things!

Comment

Fairfax did research recently on the action of breastplates on the freedom of a horse's shoulder. From that, they came up with their own patented version to maximize shoulder freedom for galloping/jumping.

Their design is mechanically very similar to racing breast collar that goes across the chest, supported by the wither strap. The difference between it and a breastplate is that there is nothing tying the breastplate to the girth. So, nothing pulls the saddle tree points forward and down into the shoulder blades.

I now prefer the breast collar/martingale arrangement, though I'm still sorting tack over for it. I need a breast collar and Irish martingale for my young TB. (After getting a running caught in his mouth? I'll never put one on him again)
                      Last edited by Synthesis; Dec. 7, 2018, 04:33 PM. Reason: Too wordy, even for me
                      The stories of the T-Rex Eventer

Big Head, Little Arms, Still Not Thinking It Through

Comment

Working...
                      X