Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

0971A1A0805
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Help Landing Jumps!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Landing Jumps!

*Link to videos included*

I know getting jumped out of the tack is usually the result of being ahead of the horse's motion or having a weak leg/core. However, I think I have a decent leg, it usually stays close by the girth over fences. I don't have this problem on flatter jumping horses but it (obviously) is exacerbated with horses who crack their backs. How can I fix this - what exactly am I doing wrong? The chestnut horse is not mine .. he was a sale horse I tried. So I did not expect his jumping form to be so bad (so don't hate on that). And in my defense this was my first time jumping the chestnut and first time jumping something bigger than 2' on the buckskin. The liver chestnut is my pony (pic with me in blue shirt).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajaE4vMha5c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckXdLgrjoC8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgAOGlIYqWA

Gymnastics. It will be good for you and your horses.
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

Be in your heel on take-off and land in your heel.

Comment

You appear to open up early so are behind the motion on the descent. Your hands (especially on the chestnut horse) are coming up as your upper body is going back, which further unbalances your upper body.

Try getting into your "jump position" several strides away from the fence and grab mane. I know that this can sound "too basic" for an experienced rider such as yourself, but it's a matter of re-programming the muscle memory.

I second the gymnastics suggestion - that's the ideal place to practice the above ideas.

Good luck.

Comment

You are opening your hips and bringing your shoulders back too soon. You need to let your horse close your hip angle on take off then you keep to closed through landing.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I was doing this same thing earlier this summer.

My trainer had me think about not moving my shoulders during a jump, and (as many people have suggested) I did lots of gymnastics while thinking about keeping my shoulders in the same place and my hands forward.
            I had a couple frustrating lessons, then she told me to try actually leaning forwards over the jump (just with my upper body) and I finally got the feeling of where I needed to be (and stay)!

It doesn't feel like leaning forward anymore, but my brain was interpreting the straightening out as keeping my shoulders still, so I had to re-train myself to actually keep my hip angle closed and my shoulders forward by thinking about bringing my shoulders down during the jump for awhile to get past the habit.

Comment

The second video, the horse wasn't forward to the fence at all, so he popped over and you got left behind and sat up too early. Work on keeping your leg on and go to the jump.

Comment

Working...
              X