• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Landsafe (how to fall) clinic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landsafe (how to fall) clinic

I was talking to a lady who attended a Landsafe clinic. Looks like they teach you a forward roll from a trampoline and then put you on a horse simulator to practice. There's one coming up near me. Has anyone done it and would you recommend it?

https://landsafeequestrian.com/ourclinics/
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

I am not familiar with this but I would not attend.
    In my experience, by the time I have thought ... "oh sh!t, I am falling off", I am already on the ground. There simply is no time to think "roll".
    I imagine one would have to practice falling 100 times before it might become instinctive. I got my practice the natural way ... smart pony dumped me probably 100 times between the age of 9 and 12 or so. Eventually I learned how to stick 99% of the time, and to absorb the rare fall without serious injury instinctively.

Comment

There are a couple of threads on here about Land Safe from the last few years

My last trainer had a clinic and then a follow up a year later. The key is muscle memory so you don't have to think - same basic principle that gymnasts learn - you do a lot of repetitions during the clinic and they encourage a follow up to further instill it. You will be sore afterwards but from muscle use because like most things in riding - it is athletic. I didn't participate due to pre-existing conditions but those who did felt it was worth it. At least one person came off within a few months and was uninjured and fell "properly".

Also you start from gymnastic mats and move up to more dynamic movements so you don't just throw yourself at it and hope for the best.

Comment

• Original Poster

Now I found the threads! I must have been searching for "land safe" with a space... Thanks.

Yes, I do think they work in instilling muscle memory. The lady I spoke to had been to one recently and highly recommended it. It does look pretty intense -- I have a desk job, not sure I can currently handle 4 hours two days in a row!
        --
        Wendy
        ... and Patrick

Comment

I did one last fall and thought it was great. I was definitely pretty stiff/sore afterwards (I have a desk job too!) but still thought it was completely worth it. Thankfully(?!) I haven't fallen off since, but I think I would have a decent chance of doing the right thing to protect my head/spine if/when I do. If they come back to my area for the follow up class, I will jump at the chance to participate!

Comment

Not trying to be negative here but I think it depends on your age. I'm in my 70's and all my muscle memory about falling off is memorized. I think it's a great thing to do when you are starting out riding and/or in your 20's or even 30's but after some years I think it would be hard to make that muscle memory change.

Comment

OP probably saw my comments on earlier threads, but for those who haven't done the research, I'll recap. My barn hosted a LandSafe clinic which I audited. I was completely skeptical. My thoughts mirrored many of the negatives above and more.

I came away convinced that this is a worthwhile program, and should be mandatory at some level. As noted above, progressions were appropriate and repetition was key. Individual limitations were accommodated. I was particularly impressed by the striking improvement every participant made over the course of the clinic. As challenges became more complex, it was clear that the incremental exercises leading up to them had been very effective. And everyone had a positive experience. I wished I had been able to do it.

If you have a chance, go. We spend money on clinics all the time (well maybe not ALL the time). This is one that could spare you great harm. It is worth every penny IMHO.
              They don't call me frugal for nothing.
              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

For this year USEA is picking up $50 of the cost for current members, too; based on what sounds like positive reviews I hope/expect that to continue.

Assuming it's back at Scarlet Hill again next year I plan to go. (They're also at the Equine Expo in November, but as a result of a recent land-NOT-safe incident I'm sidelined for a while.)

Comment

I wish it wasn't so expensive. And the one near me is the same day as a a starter trail I'm going to. I would like to at least audit one some day.

Comment

I agree that teaching an older body to roll on instinct probably isn't going to happen. I learned to tuck and roll when I was 8. It has stayed with me since and I do credit rolling to not getting badly injured in falls. The only time I ever had a resulting injury was when I did not have any room to roll and one leg took all the force of the fall.

I'm surprised they recommended rolling forward. We were taught to roll sideways out of the path of the horse's legs.
                    "Do what you can't do"

Comment

I hosted a clinic a year ago and agree both that it was physically demanding and very worthwhile! Danny and Kelli work really well together, are very good teachers and the progression of the clinic was really well done. Yes, I was sore afterwards, yes I got motion sick doing all those somersaults the first day (seabands helped on the second day) but I think they were very clear on what they clinic can and cannot do - will it keep you from breaking anything if you fall off? Probably not, but it could help you be less injured in a catastrophic fall. I learned an easy way to get off rearing horse which had never occurred to me and rearing is something that I find terrifying. That was worth the whole price. Also you get to ride the mechanical horse!

Fully agree that it's the kids who need to learn this! But learning something new at an older age isn't a bad thing either.

I got a lot of pushback when I was trying to promote the clinic - I don't need this because.... I don't fall off, I don't fall off THAT way, I know how to fall, it's expensive.....

As for rolling forward - they teach you to roll away from the horse, they start you with forward on the tumbling, and move on to off to the side. All the falls off the mechanical horse are to get away from it which is off to the side.

Comment

Having attended one, and been experimenting with gravity more than usual this year, I'd say that it might be worthwhile if you're the type to bail. (For example, horse bolting toward icy road. I can see that being a situation where you'd consider bailing - I don't.) It didn't change my instincts at all: I fall the same way I always have and still hold on as long as I can, because I'm STILL not walking home. Have to say, the incidents I thought of for bailing examples are all things I've done, and all turned out fine with me still on.

That said, it was fun, and would probably be useful for people whose dumping style is less entrenched than mine. One caution: My knees were pretty mad for a while though - too much landing on unstable surfaces - and they're not that sketchy.

Comment

I did one earlier this year, and I found it to be a very positive experience.

My warning would be if you experience motion sickness, to use some sort of prevention (i used ginger pills and sea bands!)

There are definitely several things I walked away with from this clinic, the feeling of "where my shoulders should be" basically at all times, and how to engage my core effectively.

It gave me more confidence in the event I do fall off (tuck chin, get my hands out in front, tighten core). I think that the number one fear of most amateur riders is falling off. To professional riders, its just another day at the office. Its not a big deal, you get back on. I felt like going through this clinic I was mentally able to give myself permission to fall off. I guess the other thing is that I learned I dont really have bad reflexes, as previous falls and bailing off a rearing horse, I did a lot of the 'right things'.

the falls from the mechanical horse I did: Rearing, Horse falling forward/rotational fall, and a emergency dismount/horse out of control. these were done with different levels of mats for protection.

Comment

Working...
                          X