• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Back pains-what worked for you? Chiro, Acupuncture..?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back pains-what worked for you? Chiro, Acupuncture..?

Anyone out there in their late 20's with bad backs and it sometimes gets in the way of your riding etc?
    Did you go for Chiro work, Acupuncture, Massages, Ph. Therapy??? What worked for you?
    Thinking about giving Acupuncture a try (seems reasonable the rates I saw and new patients get 3 treatments for $99.)

Well I have tried different types of chiro work and my body would 'hold' the adjustment for about 2 days... Have done physical therapy with some luck. (However I am currently about to try a pain management center so maybe that will work.) Have you had an X ray or a MRI done on your back? If so what did the doctors say? I am curious about the responses you will receive since I am in the same boat! Good luck!
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."

Comment

try getting in touch with Medical Mike

Mike Pilato (Medical Mike on COTH) and my physical therapists are zooming in on my weak back after the broken neck...and its working! Just walking 30 minutes made my back ache and ache. Am happy to say that my back is making great progress - no problems with fitness walking, jogging a bit, riding my bike on a wind trainer 30 minutes, or riding . My event trainer does the same sort of stretches with me that the PT folks and Mike recommend. Mike's fees are very, very reasonable... Good luck!!! Backs are so important for enjoying life.
      ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

My good friend had amazing results with Yoga. I personally prefer acupuncture, but I think a combo is probably best for strength + pain relief .Good luck

Comment

For a lot of us it is post accidents and being out of alignment causing poor posture - so a combination of everything that will strengthen, straighten and support.
          Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Don't forget to look at other aspects of life. I had back pain in my twenties, did all kinds of medical treatments (injections, microdiscectomy)for it. Found that physical therapy plus some life changes was the best medicine.

Comment

Chiropractic is what has gotten me through. I'm 57 tho, not 'late 20's! I see my chiro about once a year so whatever she does really works. Be sure you don't go to a cruncher but rather one who uses an "activator". It is an amazingly gentle technique and my bod really responds well to it. Good luck.
              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

• Original Poster

Great comments!!
                I haven't been for an MRI but it would be interesting to see the alignment and muscles around the spine. I did go for chiro work for a few months but it felt worse than before.
                Yoga is a great idea-never even thought about it and that would help with muscles.

Comment

A good chiropractor who gives you home exercises (and expects you to do them).

There is a massage therapist at my chiropractor's office who did stretching work with me, that helped a lot.

It also helps me to stretch in the morning and find an exercise routine that is "back friendly".

Comment

Originally posted by 3phase View Post
                    Great comments!!
                    I haven't been for an MRI but it would be interesting to see the alignment and muscles around the spine. I did go for chiro work for a few months but it felt worse than before.
                    Yoga is a great idea-never even thought about it and that would help with muscles.
                    I always feel worse the next day-if I'm in a severe 'twist' and get a big treatment, my Dr. will sort of smile and say, "This is the mack truck treatment, I'm sorry." That means I have to go home and take some Advil and lie flat on an ice pack for 1/2 hour then take a long walk. Again with the ice and walk for the next 12 or so hours and I'm good to go. Sometimes she'll want to see me again for 'balancing'.
                    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Regular off horse strengthening.....

first last and always...

No matter the course you choose, exercise must be a part of your backs regular care.

The program, of course, is based on proper ID of pathology and evaluation of how you function on and off the horse.

A reasonably trained medical and or rehab professional, working with your instructor, should be able to minimize if not solve your back pain problems.

Just be aware that you may have to make some permanent changes in technique, discipline, etc to help the cause.

Regards,
                      Medical Mike
                      equestrian medical researcher
                      www.equicision.com

Comment

I have had terrible problems with my back. I have herniated discs and degeneration so keeping in good shape (I do pilates) is very important. In the past, when the pain has been horrendous, I tried everything. Chiro, acupuncture, massage, PT, the Alexander Technique, you name it. The thing that has worked best for me is rolfing. A good rolfer can really help! Another thing I swear by is this:
                        http://www.amazon.com/GoFit-6-Inch-1...682522&sr=1-10
                        Great convenient device that really works.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
                          I always feel worse the next day-if I'm in a severe 'twist' and get a big treatment, my Dr. will sort of smile and say, "This is the mack truck treatment, I'm sorry." That means I have to go home and take some Advil and lie flat on an ice pack for 1/2 hour then take a long walk. Again with the ice and walk for the next 12 or so hours and I'm good to go. Sometimes she'll want to see me again for 'balancing'.
                          Doesn't sound like much fun

"bearhunter"-never heard of Rolfing-I'm googling right now

Comment

Originally posted by 3phase View Post
                            Doesn't sound like much fun

"bearhunter"-never heard of Rolfing-I'm googling right now
                            Rolfing is one school of structural integration work... it works,, but the rolfer will do what they need to do despite what ever message your pain receptors are sending and recieving ... It can be extremely INTENSE.
                            If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

I have a therapist who does Active Release Technique on me for back pain. He's actually a chiropractor but does very little "chiropracting" in a session (and he doesn't call himself one either.) ART use pressure like in a good massage while moving the muscle group through its range of motion. Amazingly effective. The guy I use is also employed by the Tennessee Titans--you get to see him doing stuff to Vince Young on the sidelines during Monday Night Football. He really understands that even though I pushing old lady status that I'm an athlete too.

While he is fantastic at relieving pain we are still working on prevention. I do a 10 minute series of yoga type stretches twice daily that has helped quite a bit but still hasn't completely gotten the reoccurrence under control as I seem to have flare ups a couple times a year. The thing that tears my back up the worst is actually standing for long periods of time...riding rarely hurts even when I have a flare up.

I've used a wide variety of alternate therapies on both my horse and me and I have never seen anything as effective as ART. In addition when he "fixes" you you're fixed. Usually he can do it in a single session--if I can stand it. He warns that anybody trying to get you coming back once a week for a period of time should be avoided.

Comment

My chiro is great- he does adjustments as well as massage and stretching, plus he gives me stretches and strength building exercises. For my issues, a weak core and tight hipflexors pull my back out of alignment so to fix that I need to work on strength and flexibility.

It was not cheap nor easy, but it works.

The guy I go to specializes in working with athletes (and HOORAY- acknowledges riding to be a sport!) so he is used to people who want to be active. He is more than just a chiro, and as such, more expensive. My dear friend is a chiro only and she was much less effective in treating my pain.

Actually- like Subk's guy he does ART as well.

Comment

I'm going to sound a bit like a commercial, but here is what has worked for me. First, get a good mattress. I like firm mattresses. My back always hurts after traveling and staying in hotels or staying at someone else's house. I have a sleep by number bed and love it. I get more rest and feel great when I wake up. Next, strengthen your core muscles. Doing sit ups worried me that I would do them wrong and strain my back. Next commercial: I like the ab-lounger. I know I wont' strain my back and its kind of fun so makes me do sit ups more than I would on my own. Finally: advil. I take advil if I do something to strain my back or I know I'm going to do something... like traveling. It seems to head off the inflammation cycle.
                                  Good luck. Talk to a doctor (of course

Comment

Mr. Mike, where are you located? Can you PM me?

This thread is ODD; I just went through the whole MRI/pain management thing last Monday when my back spasms became so severe I could no longer walk. I was shocked by the results of the MRI and am no longer able to consider horses for a career. I'm 22. Very timely thread.

To the OP: my spine is precious to me. I have lived, breathed, talked horses my WHOLE life. I had just chosen to make a career of it and leave school when BAM the spasms hit again. GET A CHECK UP b/4 you do anything, please. Know what you are dealing with it. At our age it is SO important-in my opinion-to get on the right management/prevention path while still young. Nearly EVERYone suggested I go to a chiro...after speaking with the doctor she told me that it would have caused me more pain. Since I was already unable to walk...that scared me. I'm so glad I went and got an MRI/X-rays. Just my 2cents!

Anyway, Medical Mike, I'd would to speak with you. I was working with a personal trainer, riding, doing barn work, trying to get as fit as possible when the old (riding) injury made my spasms flare again. I am now trying to figure out how to continue working out/riding (with some drastic changes) and want to really research my options. Any info would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by medical mike View Post
                                    first last and always...

No matter the course you choose, exercise must be a part of your backs regular care.

The program, of course, is based on proper ID of pathology and evaluation of how you function on and off the horse.

A reasonably trained medical and or rehab professional, working with your instructor, should be able to minimize if not solve your back pain problems.

Just be aware that you may have to make some permanent changes in technique, discipline, etc to help the cause.

Regards,
                                    Medical Mike
                                    equestrian medical researcher
                                    www.equicision.com
                                    True Bearing Equestrian
                                    St. Helena Island, SC

Comment

It took me many many years and a lot of trail and error, but I finally found a human chiropractor that is as good as the ones I use for my horse. He has a somewhat unique idea about the process through which the body "recognizes" body work, but boy does he do an amazing job. (if you want to see his philosophy, it's at: www.gaitlink.com).

I feel the same way about human body workers as I do about horse bodyworkers. There are a lot more mediocre (and worse) ones out there than good ones. I think a really talented body worker of any sort (chiro, acu, rolfing, ART, massage, etc.) can make a dramatic difference in your level of overall comfort. And after 20+ years of chronic back pain, my chiro has "fixed" my body to the point that I haven't had even a twinge of somthing being not quite right since he started working on me.

So I guess my answer to the main question would be "Chiropractic." But the truth is that an equally talented person in another field probably could have had similar results. So I'm not sure I would be quite as focused on the $$ part of it or the "type" of work as I would on finding someone with a lot of referrals that use words such as "BRILLIANT" and "LIFE CHANGING"

Comment

If you haven't seen a back/spine doctor go see one. Chiropractors don't count, (I've found their knowledge limited to what they do.)

Problems in the spine can be caused by so many things, and some treatments can screw them up further. You need to make sure you know what's going on before you start any sort of treatment. I'd been doing chiro and massage for my neck for years... only to find out recently my neck pain is a nerve problem that chiro isn't going to help.

I just finished several weeks of PT, to see if it would help matters. It didn't help my pain, but goodness has my posture gotten better
                                        Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Working...
                                        X