• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Buck blows it again............

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Highflyer View Post
    I actually think that's his biggest strength-- maybe someday he'll end up chef d'equipe.
    Having done a course walk with him and his students in Kentucky in the past, I totally agree. I came away thinking he was a fabulous coach and had a lot to offer.

Comment

I keep forgetting, who was the US's highest placed rider this year at Burghley?
      If thou hast a sorrow, tell it not to the arrow, tell it to thy saddlebow, and ride on, singing. -- King Alfred the Great

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
        I have no issues with Buck, I think he is a very good rider. I do feel fitness is not his side. This is not to be judgmental, but most other riders are in much better shape. Dressage riders work out like crazy, as do jumpers. I think in eventing you need the fitness even more, and this for Buck has been his Achilles heel and why he may fall off more often.

Myself I have lost 16 lbs so far this year, and have noticed a huge difference in that alone.
        Wow - you are out of line.

Have you met Buck personally? Do you know his fitness routine? Do you know his medical history?

The man does not eat carbs (or junk)! He doesn't drink alcohol. He rides 10 horses a day, walks cross country courses multiple times (you try to keep up!). The man is FIT. Clearly you are holding him to the same VISUAL standard as the male riders who have 6+ inches on his height. Did you know that not everyone is built the same or capable of having a chiseled or thin body? You sure are making a lot of assumptions based on someone's appearance and general shape.

Buck may have more falls than the average professional…..maybe because he rides 2-3x the number of horses than most professionals. Also take into consideration that he doesn’t ride easy horses, AND at the highest level of the sport. Let’s be real, Buck obviously does not have height as an advantage. Actually- he is shorter than most upper level female riders, 5'6-5'7 at BEST. Any rider knows that height is an incredible benefit, especially in eventing where balance is key. But what exactly is your point with your statement regarding falls? Being skinny doesn’t make someone a better rider. Or maybe you’re saying that he should grow legs??? Yes, that’s it! Because if there is a physical attribute affecting his riding, his shorter stature has more an affect than his slight bit of extra weight.

Side note and fun fact: Take look at Buck from ten years ago. He has lost quite a bit of weight over the years, which included changing his diet. But no matter how much weight Buck loses, he will likely always have meat on his hips(unlike most men). That just happens to be where some people store their fat. He's actually a little dude!

Oh and just because you state that you’re not being judgmental doesn’t take away from the fact that you are actually being judgmental.

Skinny does NOT equal 'fit' (or healthy) You should be ashamed of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TPF Hunter View Post

Wow - you are out of line.

Have you met Buck personally? Do you know his fitness routine? Do you know his medical history?

The man does not eat carbs (or junk)! He doesn't drink alcohol. He rides 10 horses a day, walks cross country courses multiple times (you try to keep up!). The man is FIT. Clearly you are holding him to the same VISUAL standard as the male riders who have 6+ inches on his height. Did you know that not everyone is built the same or capable of having a chiseled or thin body? You sure are making a lot of assumptions based on someone's appearance and general shape.

Buck may have more falls than the average professional…..maybe because he rides 2-3x the number of horses than most professionals. Also take into consideration that he doesn’t ride easy horses, AND at the highest level of the sport. Let’s be real, Buck obviously does not have height as an advantage. Actually- he is shorter than most upper level female riders, 5'6-5'7 at BEST. Any rider knows that height is an incredible benefit, especially in eventing where balance is key. But what exactly is your point with your statement regarding falls? Being skinny doesn’t make someone a better rider. Or maybe you’re saying that he should grow legs??? Yes, that’s it! Because if there is a physical attribute affecting his riding, his shorter stature has more an affect than his slight bit of extra weight.

Side note and fun fact: Take look at Buck from ten years ago. He has lost quite a bit of weight over the years, which included changing his diet. But no matter how much weight Buck loses, he will likely always have meat on his hips(unlike most men). That just happens to be where some people store their fat. He's actually a little dude!

Oh and just because you state that you’re not being judgmental doesn’t take away from the fact that you are actually being judgmental.

I suggest taking a step back from the computer, and re reading what I wrote next time, before ranting on about things that literally have nothing to do with what I said. Half your post is stuff you clearly have a hang up about that I didn't even remotely mention in my post.

No, I don't know Buck personally, but I am going to assume you do. I have however, watched him compete many times. As a rider, he does not look as fit as many as the other UL riders. I don't think someones medical history really matters in this instance, if your fitness level is affecting your ability to stay on top of your horse.

I never once said he wasn't a good rider, I actually said the opposite. I never said being skinny makes someone a better rider, I said being fit does. But throw whatever words you want my way, and pretend I said them. Then add in those and somehow think you are a good person and I am not because of my comment.

Observing that someones fitness might be effecting their riding isn't judging someone. Judging someone would be saying - "look as that fat ass...I bet they cant even ride". Huge difference.

and finally, I never said skinny equals fit nor did I imply that. You seem to have pressed whatever hang ups you have onto my single post. I think you should be ashamed of yourself.

Comment

Buck may have more falls than the average professional…..maybe because he rides 2-3x the number of horses than most professionals.
            If there’s one thing I’ve learned from reading these boards, it’s that people are easily confused between numerical quantity and statistical likelihood. Percentages just aren’t as much fun to talk about when people could freak out over numerical outliers. You are definitely correct in this point, but try not to take it personally. It’s not an issue specific to this discussion.

You raise a great point about size vs fitness. People come in all shapes and sizes, and really what we should be focusing on (as an equestrian discipline who is not supposed to care about “the look”) is performance. There are riders that have been (quite rightly) raked over the coals on these boards for being obviously out of puff themselves, continuing on while being unable to properly support their horses or in extreme cases, unable to make good decisions (I’m specifically remembering a certain rider at Rolex just a few years ago, riding a horse that was equally exhausted until they both collapsed over a table...you may have heard of her for incidents that are rather more red in colour). We do know what it looks like when a rider can’t keep up with their horse. We just don’t see it very often so sometimes people go after the rounder guy. It’s not cool, but most people also realize it’s not a real issue here.

Comment

Well, that's a bit harsh.

I don't know Buck, but I have a lot of respect for him. I cannot even imagine taking up the field that my father was a world champion in. If any eventer has the excuse to be a messed up jerk it's Buck, but by all accounts he is a great guy and a truly decent human being. But. I've been watching him ride since his very first Rolex when he kicked and pushed that little horse around dressage like it was a gymkhana. He's settled down a bit since then, but his style of riding has never given off that quiet, centered, polished, vibe. Maybe it's style, maybe it's fitness--I wouldn't know. (I rather doubt it's his height considering bull and bronc riders have an advantage being short.) There is a lot going on with his riding besides his weight that could lead one to fairly speculate about his fitness. You were the first to bring up anything about weight, not Jealoushe.

Thanks for the inside information--I love hearing that he's ditched the carbs--but maybe next time you could set the record straight without being so condescending?

Comment

I suggest taking a step back from the computer, and re reading what I wrote next time, before ranting on about things that literally have nothing to do with what I said. Half your post is stuff you clearly have a hang up about that I didn't even remotely mention in my post.

No, I don't know Buck personally, but I am going to assume you do. I have however, watched him compete many times. As a rider, he does not look as fit as many as the other UL riders. I don't think someones medical history really matters in this instance, if your fitness level is affecting your ability to stay on top of your horse.

I never once said he wasn't a good rider, I actually said the opposite. I never said being skinny makes someone a better rider, I said being fit does. But throw whatever words you want my way, and pretend I said them. Then add in those and somehow think you are a good person and I am not because of my comment.

Observing that someones fitness might be effecting their riding isn't judging someone. Judging someone would be saying - "look as that fat ass...I bet they cant even ride". Huge difference.

and finally, I never said skinny equals fit nor did I imply that. You seem to have pressed whatever hang ups you have onto my single post. I think you should be ashamed of yourself.

While i do think that TPF Hunter was a bit harsh with her response - I do agree that your statement regarding his fitness does indeed make it seem like you are basing your opinions on his appearance. You admit that you dont know him personally, so how could you make a fitness assumption without knowing his daily work out routine or daily riding schedule? Do you know if hes only working 2/3 horses each day during the week compared to the dozens he competes on the weekend? Do you know if he does any extra cardio or lifting on the side of his riding? Do you know if he has a healthy diet to support his active lifestyle? If you do not know these things - what are you basing your assumptions off of that hes not in shape? Your statements do make it seem like your body shaming someone on their physical appearance, in my opinion. You made a statement bringing up the fact that you lost weight and you think its positively effected your riding (which is great, kudos to you) but that is directly implying that weighing less mean being more fit and riding better in your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by RolexReady View Post

While i do think that TPF Hunter was a bit harsh with her response - I do agree that your statement regarding his fitness does indeed make it seem like you are basing your opinions on his appearance. You admit that you dont know him personally, so how could you make a fitness assumption without knowing his daily work out routine or daily riding schedule? Do you know if hes only working 2/3 horses each day during the week compared to the dozens he competes on the weekend? Do you know if he does any extra cardio or lifting on the side of his riding? Do you know if he has a healthy diet to support his active lifestyle? If you do not know these things - what are you basing your assumptions off of that hes not in shape? Your statements do make it seem like your body shaming someone on their physical appearance, in my opinion. You made a statement bringing up the fact that you lost weight and you think its positively effected your riding (which is great, kudos to you) but that is directly implying that weighing less mean being more fit and riding better in your eyes.
                  Wrong. Again, it seems like your comments are taking your own thoughts and putting them into my words. I never even mentioned his weight whatsoever.

In my response, which you even quoted, I said I have seen him ride, many many times. That is where my opinion that he is not as fit comes from. There are other riders I also think look loose in the tack, but this thread was about BD and why I only commented about him.

My own weight loss was a result of eating better and becoming fitter - it was a personal anecdote and had nothing to do with anyone else. That is why it had its own separate paragraph.

Comment

If it had nothing to do with Buck or your opinions on his fitness - then it wouldnt have a reason to been included at all, regardless of a separate paragraph.

Also if you think its all based off of seeing his riding alone, then I would go back to the statement that you need to remember hes riding 2-3x more horses than most people out there. No doubt hes going to end up looking a bit more tired than others. Your just trying to back track at this point. I am taking my thoughts and putting them into words, and my thoughts were formed based off what you posted. Maybe it wasnt your objective, but im not the only one that would take it that way. So maybe a suggestion of being more careful how you portray your opinions.

Comment

I wonder how many people have only seen Buck on a horse. I saw him at Plantation post-XC a couple years back and did also notice what TPF Hunter said regarding Buck having his center of gravity lower down towards his hips than most male riders (or, as I *lovingly* thought at the time, "Buck's got a 'donk" - which I feel I can say as I do too!) and he is also shorter than the average male. I think these traits may be emphasized when you see him onboard a horse but on the ground he most definitely doesn't look like he has extra weight or is unfit. I actually use Buck's riding to help my own, as I have an *ahem* large posterior, long thigh/short calf, and am 5'8" so he and I have the most similar body type.

While Buck may have to work harder to accommodate his conformation difficulties, it definitely does not make him a lesser rider and OP clearly has an axe to grind despite statements to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by RolexReady View Post
                        If it had nothing to do with Buck or your opinions on his fitness - then it wouldnt have a reason to been included at all, regardless of a separate paragraph.

Also if you think its all based off of seeing his riding alone, then I would go back to the statement that you need to remember hes riding 2-3x more horses than most people out there. No doubt hes going to end up looking a bit more tired than others. Your just trying to back track at this point. I am taking my thoughts and putting them into words, and my thoughts were formed based off what you posted. Maybe it wasnt your objective, but im not the only one that would take it that way. So maybe a suggestion of being more careful how you portray your opinions.
                        Again, that's not what I said. I'm not back tracking anything, I am fully admitting he appears to me to look not as fit as others I have seen, when riding around big events I have witnessed.

I'm not really sure how else I could have stated my thoughts, to be any more polite other than to not state them, which is what I really think you are wishing for.

Luckily for me, I am free to voice my opinions freely on Coth. You can put me on your ignore list if you don't like them.

Comment

So a few weeks ago there was a thread about the challenges of tall riders. It was pointed out that several upper level riders were tall. My six foot daughter wants to know when the politically correct, anti-body shaming league is going to show up and whip those posters back into silence.

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
                            So a few weeks ago there was a thread about the challenges of tall riders. It was pointed out that several upper level riders were tall. My six foot daughter wants to know when the politically correct, anti-body shaming league is going to show up and whip those posters back into silence.
                            I did read that thread - i didnt read any body shaming attacks on there IMO. I took that post as a rider reaching out seeking advice on what she thought were personal riding issues due to her own body type. Everyone chimed in with similarities, or advice and like you said pointed out some other tall riders who may have similar struggles. Nobody told her that they most likely wouldnt be successful riders or ever selected for a team. Also nobody claimed that any of those other tall professionals that may experience similar struggles weren't successful riders either.

Tall, short, skinny, wide - each body type has advantages and disadvantages. I will admit - i do sometimes hair color shame myself and blame my blondness for my occasional brain fart!

Comment

Again, that's not what I said. I'm not back tracking anything, I am fully admitting he appears to me to look not as fit as others I have seen, when riding around big events I have witnessed.
                              I read the thread and I have to admit I don't think you are being as clear as you think you are. You keep saying you are not basing your observations off of his physical appearance, yet all you can say as a basis for your judgement is "he does not look as fit as others". To me, that equals. . . you are making judgements based off of his physical appearance. How can that statement mean anything else?

"He doesn't look as fit" . . . literally the only way I can interpret that is that you are basing your idea of his fitness routine off of what he looks like and nothing more.

I'm not super tall but I am slim, I'm in okay shape, but I know some people heavier than me at my same height who can absolutely work out RINGS around me (including riding). But to me it seems like you would assume I am fitter than they are just by looking.

Even if you are close enough while he's riding at an event to seem him breathing hard or sweating or something, well . . . he IS working out. Like in the middle of some pretty intense exercise. Even the fittest athlete's heart and respiration rates go up and they sweat during exercise.

No one can change your mind if you hold a belief that he is not as fit as other riders, but I have to say that you truly do seem to be basing it off of your own personal visual observations, not any actual information about him, and it wouldn't hurt to admit that. You think based on his body shape that he is not as fit. That may not actually be true.

Comment

I can hardly believe that this thread is going on - really, folks, it is plain insulting.
                                Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Sparkles View Post

I read the thread and I have to admit I don't think you are being as clear as you think you are. You keep saying you are not basing your observations off of his physical appearance, yet all you can say as a basis for your judgement is "he does not look as fit as others". To me, that equals. . . you are making judgements based off of his physical appearance. How can that statement mean anything else?

"He doesn't look as fit" . . . literally the only way I can interpret that is that you are basing your idea of his fitness routine off of what he looks like and nothing more.

I'm not super tall but I am slim, I'm in okay shape, but I know some people heavier than me at my same height who can absolutely work out RINGS around me (including riding). But to me it seems like you would assume I am fitter than they are just by looking.

Even if you are close enough while he's riding at an event to seem him breathing hard or sweating or something, well . . . he IS working out. Like in the middle of some pretty intense exercise. Even the fittest athlete's heart and respiration rates go up and they sweat during exercise.

No one can change your mind if you hold a belief that he is not as fit as other riders, but I have to say that you truly do seem to be basing it off of your own personal visual observations, not any actual information about him, and it wouldn't hurt to admit that. You think based on his body shape that he is not as fit. That may not actually be true.
                                  Actually, I said multiple times it’s based on how he rides. To me he looks more loose in the tack, sloppy, tired compared to others, at the events I have seen him at.

it seems like all you guys attacking me, have your own hang ups about his weight. Don’t put your insecurities about him
                                  onto me. Enough already. Either read for comprehension or ignore me because I’m done being told what I meant when I have explained myself multiple times now. You don’t have to agree, that’s why it’s an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RSEventer View Post
                                    I could go on and on, and while the OP says it is not personal, no problem, so who exactly who do you have in mind to replace Buck?
                                    I second the question.

Comment

Originally posted by alicen View Post

I second the question.
                                      I third that. Because this weekend went SO well

Comment

And Buck wins the CIC*** at Plantation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheasmom2 View Post
                                          And Buck wins the CIC*** at Plantation.
                                          There were several falls across the 3 levels (including LK, which is a stinker just coming off the fall at weg), I wonder if it was one particular bogie fence?
                                          Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

Working...
                                          X