• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help me ride up banks in water!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me ride up banks in water!

Thanks in advance!

Any pointers on how to make myself ride better to the up banks out of water?!

I can get that nice bouncy canter in regular up banks.... even double up banks...we just bouncy right up and up and over....
    But you add water and I go for some reason and panic! I don't quite know how to balance out the balance, the impulsion, and the...whatever! I know in my brain.... I need more power because the water takes some away. I know I need more spring and bounce (ie coffin canter) because they need to collect and bounce up the wall. I KNOW (very acutely now.....sigh...) NOT to run my horse at it and throw myself at it. But I can't seem to make myself not want do that.

Any helpful advice? Ways to mentally think about it? Ways to help myself ride it? Exercises?

I can almost get it to where we can get there to the base and get up without launching but it's underpowered and we're left with nothing to get over a second element. However, that is MUCH preferred to my alternative plan which seems to be run him at it gunning it... which doesn't end well.
    Ask me how I know!! Sigh......

So yes please... Thanks for the help!! I just don't like them... I don't!

Me too!
    Bonnie Mosser once told me to think about the aids for extended trot -- how you need to be up in the withers yet with the leg on and driving, not sitting down and retarding the forward movement, half halting and soft with the hand yet keeping serious contact. When I get that extended trot-aids-picture in my head it is easier -- but I am the same way you are about them....once in a clinic I must have done it six or seven times holding up the whole group while the instructor worked and WORKED on it with me; we never did "get" it right. I have the horse that launches from an underpowered stride and it's darn hard to keep that bouncy rhythm in the water with him!
    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

• Original Poster

Oooh thanks!! I'll try that mental picture next time I do like the sound of it

Keep em' coming!! I desperately need something that will work! My horse agrees!!

Comment

Ride forward and, a few strides out, soften the reins! By trying to MAKE a better canter in the water, you end up pulling them right out of a good canter...or, at least this is Lucinda Green's theory. This is how I've ridden banks out of water ever since she told me that, and, for the most part, it works. Also works for jumps IN the water.

I find when I hold on too much, my horses (especially the bold ones) tend to launch from way out. When I remember to soften several strides out, they get to a better distance and jump out with power.
        Amanda

Comment

I agree with the others. Plus, my trainer always tells me there's no shame in trotting through the water, so long as you make it a nice, forward trot.
          Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Also a good tip is to keep your on the top of the bank. Pick a spot(on the bank) and ride to it. I often have students bewildered by the water and take their eye off the bank==horses leaving long.

Comment

Originally posted by teamwallace View Post
              Also a good tip is to keep your on the top of the bank. Pick a spot(on the bank) and ride to it. I often have students bewildered by the water and take their eye off the bank==horses leaving long.
              this. Keep your eye on the lip of the bank and be patient. Eye on the lip, be patient, eye on the lip be patient. Sing it in a rhythm.

Comment

Think about getting his hind legs to move up and under you in the canter. Think about a horse that is doing a great canter pirouette - very uphill balance with their hind legs under them, and picking themselves up and moving from the hind legs.

Now think about doing that from your seat and legs but in a straight line in the water.

Totally agree with yellowbritches (soft reins both into and out of water) and teamwallace (keep your eye on the lip).

It is often better in water to add a stride rather than to go long/flat and leave a stride out. So think about waiting with your upper body for that "extra" stride - that you will allow to happen by waiting, keeping your horse's hind legs underneath him, and having a soft hand.
                Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post

I find when I hold on too much, my horses (especially the bold ones) tend to launch from way out. When I remember to soften several strides out, they get to a better distance and jump out with power.
                  This is by far the best thing I learned from the person I was riding with in CA a while back, and I still think about it when I'm planning every course I do now. If you want your horse to jump boldly, like at a big ditch/wall or something of that ilk, take a stronger contact. If you want your horse to jump softly, like off a drop (or to keep a super bold horse from getting too enthusiastic), keep those reins soft. My old horse used launch both into and out of the water, and focusing on a less holding contact with the same intensity of "engine revving" really helped him jump more appropriately.
                  http://greybrookeventing.blogspot.com/
                  http://kerickso.tumblr.com

Comment

• Original Poster

THanks guys!
                    I'm going to print this out and take it with me next time we go school.

Hopefully our little *disaster* will be enough to help me remember what NOT to do from now on, but... I'm really struggling with it for some reason. So I need all the help I can get.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                      Ride forward and, a few strides out, soften the reins! By trying to MAKE a better canter in the water, you end up pulling them right out of a good canter...or, at least this is Lucinda Green's theory. This is how I've ridden banks out of water ever since she told me that, and, for the most part, it works. Also works for jumps IN the water.

This but add...WAIT for yourself. There will be one more stride than you are probably seeing...so shut your eye off and just wait for your horse. Take a little mane so you don't get left.
                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

The drag effect of the water requires that you KICK many horses (usually the less naturally impulsive type) into a soft contact to get that bouncier canter stride required to make a nice jump at a bank out of water. Merely keeping the leg on is often not enough to prevent the water from sucking the energy out of the stride. The rider should sit up and sit down more than usual and slightly raise their hands as they try to maintain the horses RPMs (energy within the stride).

And don't let the distraction of the relative chaos of galloping through the water with all of the splashing take your focus off the top of the bank. Horses have to learn this too!
                        Last edited by lstevenson; Jul. 18, 2010, 07:50 PM.
                        http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

Wow - what a great question, OP - lots of great advice here. thanks guys.
                          Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                          Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

What do your trainers advise you to do?

It would add to this great question and discussion if all of the posters and the OP herself asked their trainers for what THEY do and post that here too...thanks for posting!!!!
                            ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

I'm going to agree with SOFTENING the contact. The Pony is SUPER forward, and if you take a hold to try and find a spot, she just races and leaves long...NOT fun going UP (or anywhere) what with the scrambling etc. Sit back, soften the hand, and wait. One thing that has helped us a bit is just working on that bouncy canter in the water through the pass through's so that you can create it without thinking as much about it, just like you would school your coffin canter a bit.

Comment

I really like the (slightly subtle, if you think about it) advice from Lucinda via yellowbritches -- you can't hold too much in the water trying to "keep" that coffin canter; at that point you need to be soft (and patient, as bornfree said, AND keep your eyes on where you are going)....

I have a hard time with this too and too many times have relied on the fact that my horses are big and athletic, so they manage to muscle their way out of bad rides on my part

Last time I worked on this my coach just really got on my case about the canter BEFORE the water -- like from way out, 10, 15 strides. It had to be powerful and uphill and connected...once I got THAT right, I had both the stride (before I was leaving one out and scrambling, or losing energy and chipping) and the impulsion. I think we focus on the canter "in" the water, but by then it's really too late -- you have to have the right canter way before, and just keep your eye and energy focused forward once you are in the water...
                                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Let your reins get a little long and put your hands in your lap. Grab a little mane and WAIT. Yes, you need an engaged, uphill, round canter in the water, but kick-kick-kicking tends to just get the horse fast and flat, and the rider up and out of position.
                                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

Can you practice just riding in the water, without the bank being a question?
                                    Riding in a lot of water helped me develop a good feel for it, or at least it did when I was lucky enough to ride somewhere with a water complex! I would just add it into my trot sets or canter sets, focusing on keeping the same rhythm in, through, and out. I still hear Eric Horgan going "ping-PONG-ping-PONG" in my head when I trot through water. That nice active rhythm helps quite a bit.
                                    ~T3DE 2010 Pact Clique~

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much guys!!

I think part of my problem is that.... I have a decent forward horse... and we have a decent canter in the water... but then I try to get a bouncier coffiny canter in the water...then I panic that I'm in the water and it took it away so now I must kick kick kick and then... it turns into running. I think I should just forget that I'm in the water and ride it like there is no water, but add the soften the hand part and I will probably be okay. He's a pretty gung ho kinda horse. I think too much kicking is what gets me into trouble. And I think the soften the hands part is what I need!! I think that might be the missing part. (And not the throwing myself at him a stride away part- doh!)

But.... I'll definitely print this all out and read and reread before we head back out again.

Super duper thanks!!!!

Comment

How bout breathing, centering, and trusting your horse? You have the super appy...

Of course, the above advice is great, but you do already know how to ride your horse--I know. You just sometimes overthink and worry instead of being in the moment and enjoying it!

Comment

Working...
                                        X