• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thin Line vs Mattes saddle pad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Line vs Mattes saddle pad

Hi,

I was wondering what opinions were on a Thin line pad vs a Mattes pad? I ride mostly trails in Wintec dressage saddle with cair panels (I want a flocked but have a hard time finding one). The saddle fitter I work with doesn't really like the Wintec saddle but honestly I love the dressage saddle. It's comfortable for long and short rides and has been one of the few saddles that really fits my horse. However, she has a tendency to get back sore if she's ridden more than 2 days in a row. The saddle fitter really likes the Mattes or even a skitto pad but I did some research and the thin line pads came up frequently.

BTW this horse get sore no matter what saddle I've ridden her in (I've tried several that were checked for fit prior to the ride). My other horse never gets a sore back so I'm fairly sure it's not my riding but I try to stay pretty light regardless.

Thanks!

My horse had back soreness when I first got him. It persisted with the Mattes pad and the Thinline, despite a well fitted saddle. I discovered that he is fine with a Fleeceworks pad. His soreness was apparently related to rubs on his skin from seams on the pads. When I tried the Mattes, after using the Fleeceworks, he was immediately sore, and had small bumps in the area of the seams of the Mattes pad.

Keep trying until you find what makes your horse comfortable.

Comment

Maybe back soreness is not related to saddle. If pain is in loin area could be hocks. Good to hear about the fleece works. Just got my horse 2 shaped pads for races.

Comment

Heat build up may be the issue, if saddle fit, and the horse's fitness have been ruled out.

The Wintec saddle is made of a synthetic material that does not breath, I would not combine that with a pad that does not breath..e.g. the Thinline.

Toklat makes 2 fleece options, the Coolback and the Woolback that could be combined with the Thinline pad to achieve breathability. There are many shapes in each fleece options.

www.ridingwarehouse.com carries most of the Toklat pads, and can order anything they don't have.

Just for clarity, the Mattes wool pads and the Thinline pads are not really doing the same thing the same way.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I have had her vet checked and had the chiro out with no issues found. I'm going to give the Mattes a try (since I have it on order at the strong recommendation from the saddle fitter). If that doesn't work then I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Comment

I have used a thin line forever. Recently got a fleeceworks dressage shaped pad with the therawool against the horse. I really liked the way it kept the horse's back cooler and drier. I did not like the lack of shape to the topline. I think it bothered me more than the horse because his withers were not sore after 12 miles. The tack store is sending me an endurance shaped one to try that they say is much more contoured over the topline. The therawool is much easier to care for than the regular sheepskin or Mattes pads. I am inclined to leave my thinline at home for endurance as it does hold heat and the saddle is custom fitted for the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bree
              ......she has a tendency to get back sore if ridden more than two days in a row.....
              Respectfully, that is very much not normal and no pad or shim will fix that. Especially since you are doing trail work and not collected, extremely arduous work..

Consider the information you have provided us:
              1. Saddle fitter does not like the saddle on your horse
              2. Horse does not like the saddle on her for more than two days in a row

That to me sounds like a saddle fit issue and I sincerely hope you reinvest in a better fitting saddle over an expensive halfpad that will not address the issue. It might be comfortable for you but remember the horse bears the brunt of the weight and you should find a saddle that is comfortable for your partner.

In my experience Wintecs are okay for some horses but very uncomfortable for others. Just in my experience it seems the tree points have a lot to do with the soreness, for whatever reason the gullet plates seem to not be in a shape that some horses find amenable.

If the reason for pursuing the Wintec is expenses, there are plenty of saddles out there that are the same price or less that offer more comfort to the horse. I would look into Collegiates, Ovations, Ainsleys and Thorogoods.

Don't waste $150-200 on a half pad. Invest that money into getting a saddle that is comfortable for your horse. If you continue to ride her in a saddle that hurts her eventually she will start to misbehave (including bucking, bolting, rearing, balking, etc) and you will be looking at long-term muscle damage, including SI and other compensational injuries.

BTW Mattes and Thinline address two very different issues. Neither address an improperly fit saddle.
              AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=beowulf;n9867651]

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points. The saddle fitter doesn't like Wintec saddles in general. She checked over the one I have and it fits my horse well. She just doesn't like Wintec as a brand and she really hates the CAIR panels - she feels they can change with the amount of pressure since they are air filled. Thus the recommendation for the Mattes half pad.

My wintec saddle seems to be my horse's favorite saddle of the ones I have fitted to her. ALL saddles seem make her sore on the loin area after two continuous days of riding (this includes a butler western saddle, a trail master saddle, a kimberly Australian saddle, a very nice collegiate all purpose saddle as well as the Wintec). They all fit her reasonably well according to the saddle fitter (whom came very highly recommended by several people).

As you can see from the array of saddles I have, I ride a lot of different things - from dressage to cattle sorting, to long distance endurance type trail riding and competitive trail riding.

I MOSTLY trail ride/endurance ride especially in the summer but in the winter I take lessons from a variety of people as I find it interesting.

I really firmly believe this is a particular horse issue since I would not expect so many different saddles to make her sore.
                Some of it is a training issue as she really tends to hollow out her back and throw her head to the sky (I'm working on it but she is a particular challenge)

I have had the vet check her but I haven't had him pay particular attention to her hocks as someone previously discussed so I think I might have some x-rays taken there. She also particularly hates to jump anything (even when being ridden she will avoid it at all costs) so maybe there is really something there that is not super obvious.

The saddle fitter was the one who suggested a Mattes pad as she really likes them. I understand they can address different issues. My original question was geared more toward what people liked or didn't like about each of them. I feel like I've gotten the advice I was looking for.
                Last edited by Bree; Sep. 13, 2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

My saddle fitter did not think mattes type pads (fleece) were good for major cushioning or correcting saddle fit. I like wool pads for their wicking properties.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bree;n9869021]
                    Originally posted by beowulf View Post

Just wanted to clarify a couple of points. The saddle fitter doesn't like Wintec saddles in general. She checked over the one I have and it fits my horse well. She just doesn't like Wintec as a brand and she really hates the CAIR panels - she feels they can change with the amount of pressure since they are air filled. Thus the recommendation for the Mattes half pad.

My wintec saddle seems to be my horse's favorite saddle of the ones I have fitted to her. ALL saddles seem make her sore on the loin area after two continuous days of riding (this includes a butler western saddle, a trail master saddle, a kimberly Australian saddle, a very nice collegiate all purpose saddle as well as the Wintec). They all fit her reasonably well according to the saddle fitter (whom came very highly recommended by several people).

As you can see from the array of saddles I have, I ride a lot of different things - from dressage to cattle sorting, to long distance endurance type trail riding and competitive trail riding.

I MOSTLY trail ride/endurance ride especially in the summer but in the winter I take lessons from a variety of people as I find it interesting.

I really firmly believe this is a particular horse issue since I would not expect so many different saddles to make her sore.
                    Some of it is a training issue as she really tends to hollow out her back and throw her head to the sky (I'm working on it but she is a particular challenge)

I have had the vet check her but I haven't had him pay particular attention to her hocks as someone previously discussed so I think I might have some x-rays taken there. She also particularly hates to jump anything (even when being ridden she will avoid it at all costs) so maybe there is really something there that is not super obvious.

The saddle fitter was the one who suggested a Mattes pad as she really likes them. I understand they can address different issues. My original question was geared more toward what people liked or didn't like about each of them. I feel like I've gotten the advice I was looking for.
                    The array of saddles means very little, as it can take months for residual back pain from an incorrect saddle to dissolve.. switching saddles and not seeing a major improvement means very little when you have a horse that is chronically sore, because that soreness doesn't disappear just because a saddle is swapped. If the inflammation is extreme enough it sometimes needs medical intervention like mesotherapy before it can resolve.

It may be in your best interest to find out why she is sore. It really is not normal for a horse to be sore, especially when the work you've described is fairly moderate - trail riding two days in a row should not make a horse sore even when it is in hours range.

It does sound like you need to stop riding her until you figure out why she is sore, JMO.
                    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

OP, have you ever had the horse evaluated for kissing spines? Does she show discomfort after two consecutive days of groundwork?

It seems she is telling you she gets sore, finding the reason for soreness is where I would spend money over pads or shims. YMMV.
                      "When I look back on my life, the times I have been stingy or unappreciative haunt me. I don't regret one instance of generosity." --PeteyPie

Comment

Working...
                      X