• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse Camping at Land Between the Lakes (KY)--need recommendations and advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Camping at Land Between the Lakes (KY)--need recommendations and advice

This will be my first horse camping trip! I'm going to take my kids and our horses/ponies for a few days to LBL, where we have a cabin and stalls reserved at the Wrangler's campground.

First of all, I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring. I'm used to packing for shows and trying to figure out what I need to do differently. Obviously hay, feed, and bedding--but space is tight on the trailer, if I'm short is there anywhere to buy hay or bedding there? I'm guessing I'll need to bring a muck tub and fork, water/feed buckets, etc? We will bring our tack and grooming equipment, extra halters, a first aid kit... Anything else that we should bring that a newbie to horse camping might not think of?

We've done a lot of trail riding, but always close to home and for short periods. Is there anything we should pack to carry on the trails? Any recommendations for saddle bags for english saddles?

Does anyone have any recommendations as to particular trails to be sure to do (or not do) at Land Between the Lakes? Are the trails well marked? Should I bring a compass?

Does anyone have any recommendations for other things (non horsey) to do in that area when we aren't riding?

Also, this is more of a general question, but how do you handle security of your horses and horse items (saddles, etc.) when horse camping? Trunks? Lock stuff in vehicles?

Thanks in advance!

My husband and I and some friends went camping there last year. Some of our friends stayed in trailers w/ living quarters, others in the cabins, and we camped in a tent.

I believe you can buy bedding there, though I'm not 100% sure. We ended up bringing wood pellet bedding because it fluffs up and makes a nice bed once you get it a little damp but doesn't take up a whole bunch of space when you pack it. Some of my friends felt the permanent stalls were a bit small (they had larger horses), but my medium pony and my husband's QH mare seemed quite comfortable, evening laying down to sleep each night despite a wedding reception occurring in the pavilion directly opposite their stalls!

We basically packed like we were headed off for a weekend of horse showing or fox hunting and brought a few spare things (halters, reins, etc.) I don't have saddle bags, but we have english saddle pads with large pockets on them that could hold a couple bottles of water, treats, granola bar, etc. and we used those. We found the trails to be well marked and easy to navigate with the maps provided there. Riding by the lake was gorgeous - so I'd recommend any trail that goes right by the shore.

One of my friend's husbands brought his boat with him, so on the really hot afternoons we took a break from riding and went out on the lake instead. That was also really fun - I believe there may be options for boat rentals but don't have details on it.

I kept everything in my vehicle or trailer when it wasn't in use (other than buckets and hay nets in the stalls and horses halters hung on the front of the stalls). We camped very near to our stalls, which was great. The people we met there were super friendly and I never felt concerned about my stuff. One thing to be aware of is that they are VERY serious about people having up to date Coggins and health certs for each animal - every set of papers for each animal in our group was checked.

Hope that helps! I'm new to horse camping too but we had a super time there and plan to go back this summer.

Comment

Good info here about approved hay and feed; limited camping and equestrian supplies for sale at the Outpost; and trail alert updates.

Sounds like a fun place! Hope you'll post pics for us afterwards!

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/s...rs-campground/
      "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

LBL is pretty remote, so plan on hauling it in and having to drive 30+ minutes if you need to run to a store and pick something up.

As far as packing it won't be much different than a horse show. Pack all tack, feed, hay, bedding, etc... Most campgrounds have hay or bedding for purchase but they may run out. So I always pack my own.

Trails are great, nice open and wide. Well marked. And you can ride as much or as little as you want. They will have trail maps.

I wish it wasn't so far for us as it's one of my favorite places to trail ride.

Comment

• Original Poster

RiderInTheRain , thanks for sharing your experience. Your idea about the pelleted bedding is genius--we are bringing 4 horses so we need a lot of hay and bedding and I think those pelleted bedding bags will be much easier to pack vs. the bags of shavings. I'm also glad you reminded me about health papers, I'll double check that everyone is up to date!

I think we will look into the boat rentals. Not sure that the weather will be hot yet, but we probably will want to do more than just ride.

RPM I checked out the website, thanks and I'll hopefully figure out a way to share some pictures.

SouthernYankee That's good to know re: distances to run to the store. I really hope I don't forget a bunch of stuff! And, I'm a little relieved to hear your description of the trails. It's going to be me and the kids out on the trails, and while we are experienced riders on good horses/ponies, I have a terrible sense of direction and would prefer not to get lost or deal with anything trappy or dangerous.

Comment

There is a camp store there, but limited on what they carry, but do have the essentials if needed. Soap, shampoo, etc. We were there last year and I did not care for the stalls we ended up with, there were mats in them, but were thrown over large wallowed out centers, not leveled at all. You need to clean up your stalls behind you, but don't expect to find that everyone does, we had to clean those stalls before we could even put our horses in. We tied our horses out while at the trailer, we always carry a rope for a high line on posts provided for them. We only put our horses in the stalls at night or when we decided to run to Cadiz for a meal out. Trails are nice, but rocky, so be sure to have boots or shoes for your horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, pasolover2! The horses are all still shod all the way around from hunting season, but that's still good to know.

Ok, dumb question, but what kind of rope do you have that you use to create a high line? And then how do you attach the horses to the high line? Do you just tie the lead ropes to it? Or do you use some kind of a clip? I have tied the horses to a high line before once, but the high line was already there and I just tied them with lead ropes since it was just for 30 minutes while we ate lunch.

Comment

We have just the standard brown sisal(?) type rope, about 25' in length, but have had one around 50'. We have just knotted it through one of the loops on the post provided, all are metal, then stretch it as tight as we can to the next one. You can use any type rope, as long as it is strong enough to hold a horse, even nylon. I tied loops so far apart in the rope, but then found some clips with large loops that I can slide the rope through and then loop it over the clip so I can then just clip the horses lead ropes to that, plus extra to hang hay nets on. If people tie out all night they usually have come-a-longs, that they can tighten the rope as it loosens up as the horses pull on them. Our horses stand quietly when on a high line, but just their moving around can cause the rope to get slack in it. We have tied out all night using a come a long to keep things taut, forgoing the stalls as we saved some money, but that was when we were not leaving the campground, we got stalls this last time as we were going to go out to eat at least one night while there. When you go, just ride around or walk around the campground and you will see the different ways people tie out, many there will be glad to talk to you about them.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks pasolover2! My husband has some rock climbing ropes, maybe one of those will be repurposed! I don't anticipate leaving the horses tied for extended periods, but I think they would prefer not to be in the stalls the entire time.

Comment

We always have something to tie ours out with as they can move around and see more while on a high line, plus less cleaning of stalls, though it is necessary to clean up around your high line area as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X