• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hoof Boot for Round Feet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoof Boot for Round Feet!

Which hoof boots would the great minds of Coth recommend for round hooves?

If I measured correctly, my mare's hooves are round! None seem to be ideal for her. The best I have found are the Cavallo line of boots! They look big and clunky, but I have seen them in action and really liked them.

My mare is barefoot and doesn't have any major issues. She lives in Sand and rides 90% in sand trails. Occassionally, we encounter rocks, gravel and pavement. Also, her feet seem to wear quicker than they grow.

I am looking for a tough, durable boot that will still allow her to gait, canter, gallop and jump! My farrier hates boots and say that they don't work! I believe different. I am inclined to have her shod, but hate to do so when she only needs it for rough rides.

Any ideas!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

One of my mares' hooves are a bit wider than long, and the original Old Macs fit her well. I hear that the new Easy Boot Gloves are supposed to fit round hooves if you get the right size and measure carefully, though I haven't tried them. Supposedly Easy Boot is coming out with a wider boot sometime this year also.

Comment

The Cavallo Simple boot is for rounds. Their new sport version is a little narrower and good for hind feet. Your farrier is wrong. I have used Cavallo simple boots for 3 years through rough terrain and mud and they work.

Perhaps he is jaded as the Easy boot is anything but easy. I know as I used them for years before the Cavallo came along!

Make sure in sand you have your velcro lined up perfectly as the sand loves to work into sloppily applied boots and make the velcro release after a long while. This I know too from being sloppy. I have used Simple boots for 8 hours a day in mountain riding and could not be happier.

Comment

I had original Old Macs for my late app with round hooves. They fit her fab and she loffed them!
        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by howardh View Post
          The Cavallo Simple boot is for rounds. Their new sport version is a little narrower and good for hind feet. Your farrier is wrong. I have used Cavallo simple boots for 3 years through rough terrain and mud and they work.

Perhaps he is jaded as the Easy boot is anything but easy. I know as I used them for years before the Cavallo came along!

Make sure in sand you have your velcro lined up perfectly as the sand loves to work into sloppily applied boots and make the velcro release after a long while. This I know too from being sloppy. I have used Simple boots for 8 hours a day in mountain riding and could not be happier.
          Do the Simples stay on through deep mud?
          I ordered a pair today. Would rather have ordered the Sport Boot, (looks like a more secure boot), but they don't come in size 0.
          MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
          http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

I hope she doesn't need them, but I looked at her feet tonight. She is four weeks out of a trim, and she has no new growth. After another couple of weeks, I worry she won't have any hoof left! We are riding a lot!

After all of the good review of boots, it is the route I will go. I need to clean up her foot and remeasure as it appears her feet are different sizes!

I like the looks and ease of the Simple/Sport boot. I saw them both today, side by side, they appear to be just as secure...ie, the same! LOL.
            Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Comment

If you don't want clunky then look into Renegades, they will take 10 mm of the back free of charge so they will fit rounder feet. Easycare will come out with a Glove for wider feet eventually. I am waiting....

Ann Szolas

Comment

I am also waiting for EasyCare to make their Gloves for round hooves. I was told they'd have them out by this fall. I've used the oval ones they have now but my mare is two different sizes, width vs. length (round feet!) so they don't fit all that well although they work in a pinch. I put them on during her "barefoot phase" November through March but I am not satisfied with her gaits when she's wearing boots, plus she shuffles when she walks, like an old lady... It drives me crazy, especially on gravel where it actually gets loud!

Now we have "sneakers" on her (Equithotics) and it makes a huge difference for our terrain and her workload.
                Just use whatever works best for your horse (you may have to try many different boots) but it seems you need to protect her feet somehow since she wears out quicker than she grows. Sand can be very abrasive and you say you do a lot of riding so maybe shoes are not such a bad idea after all, especially since round feet are so hard to fit as far as boots go...

Good luck!

Comment

Renegades! http://www.renegadehoofboots.com/

The original Old Macs (NOT G2s) will also work, but they are much clunkier. My Arab has hooves that are exactly as wide as they are long, and it really limits the boot options. I used Old Macs for several years, then switched to Renegades about two years ago. They're terrific boots - really lightweight, easy to get on, stay on through all sorts of footing, and they last a lot longer than the Old Macs.

If you do get Renegades, just be prepared for people asking, "Are those crocs for horses?"

Here are the Renegades on my Arab and my husband's TWH: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1422642990

Comment

I used to use Old Macs. Fits rounds well. The simple boot folks made the old Macs. Then the person who had the patent sold it to Easy Care or so I was told, so they made another boot and improved on the Old Mac.

The Simple Boot is the improved version of the Old Mac which was a good boot. The simple boot is a lot easier to get on. You slip it on after you pick feet, drop the foot and slap the velcro down. It could not be easier. This from someone who went through the hell of applying easy boots for years before other styles came out!

And YES I have ridden it through sucking deep mud many time and never lost a boot.

I have 5 horses in these boots right now. 4 need a smaller size on the back and 3 need the different shape of the Sport boot as their rears are shaped a little more narrow. I have not tried them on my Mule yet as I am waiting for her size to be delivered. The others Simple boots were far too round for her little Muley feet so I am hopeful this will work. Anyone have experience with the Sport boot style on mules yet??

The Sport boot is prettier, streamlined and reflective, but the standard simple boot is still best for round pie feet.

Comment

I foxhunted in Simple boots last fall and they stayed on fine. I thought they looked clunky but my horse didn't mind.
                      Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                      EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Renegades do great with round feet...stay on great and are very easy to put on and take off.
                        "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess I will remeasure her feet after her next trim, If she ever gets one....her feet aren't growing.....LOL. I will have my farrier out again to even her up and I will remeasure her then.

He does rocker her toe a bit to ease with break over. Will this affect boot fit?

I am waffling between the Simple boot and the renegades. The Old macs look funny to me. LOL. I don't really care how they look. A local store had the Simple boots. It would be easy for me to try them on and take back if necessary.

Oh the search. I just hate to do shoes when she doesn't need them in the pasture. LOL.

Comment

Get the Renegades with the cut-back option. My Arab's front feet are only a fraction longer than they are wide, so he's very nearly round. I rode a 25 two weeks ago in some fairly deep mud (it poured the night before), and they stayed on like they were glued there.
                            RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting! I am pondering all possibilities! This gets harder the more you know! LOL....

Comment

I had simple boots that were okay, but sold them and upgraded to Hoofwings. They customize them for your horse
                                Appy Trails,
                                Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
                                member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Comment

Original Old Macs are made for round feet. I used them on my TB who had the same width as length. They are clunky, but they worked.

For competitions, though, I cobbled together two different sized Epics. I ordered an Easyboot that fit his width (size 3). Then I ordered size 2 heel straps and size 2 gaiters. I cut the back out of the boot down to the sole. I replaced the size 3 heel strap with a size 2 and added the gaiters. That means I could snug his toe up into the front of the boot so it wasn't too long. The problem was having his hind toe catch the back, but you can cut that out if needed.

Worked beautifully. It is a pain to do, but it works. I also swapped out the standard clip for the up-buckles, which I like better.

The newer styles of Easyboots do not have heel straps, so I don't know if they could be modified the same way.

Easyboot needs to stop ignoring the people with round-footed horses and make at least one boot recommended for high-mileage that accommodates a round foot!!
                                  "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

• Original Poster

I really like the easy boots as well, but her feet are far too round for them. I am not sure of the simple boots as we do a LOT of hard riding. I am thinking of having her shod instead. It will be a guaranteed way of having what will fit her, for now at least.

Comment

Simple boots are very round and I ride hard, 6-8 hours/day in mountain rocky terrain. I would always ride with the gater that they sell to protect against rubs, especially when you first put them on.

I have never tried renegades, I actually like the high heel of the simple boot. Acts like an overreach boot!

I would buy a pair that is easy to return as measurement is sometimes not perfect and this will save you shipping costs if you don't calculate correctly.

Comment

Of all the boots I have tried the Cavallo Simple boots were the simplest, most versatile and durable. I switched to them years ago and will never go back. I use them for jumping, trail riding and arena work and have had great success with them. They are ideal for round shaped hooves which would work well in your case. The new Sport Boot looks great! but they are narrower in profile so I would recommend the Simple Boot for your horse.

Comment

Working...
                                        X