• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

worn down feet?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worn down feet?

I had some posts a little while back about my thoroughbred and his barefeet issues.
    I put front shoes on him the middle of march because he was uncomfortable and I wanted to do more than he could handle. And the boot situation wasn't that well planned out and wasn't working as well as I'd like.
    I haven't entirely given up on barefoot- I will try again with a better plan next time, possibly this summer.

BUT today I saw the farrier and I asked him how my horses feet were when he put the fronts back on etc. And he said that his feet were very worn down, actually he called them 'nubs'. And the horse was tender, he is much happier w/ the fronts on.
    But my question is, how much does a hoof wear down? Barefoot horses are supposed to be short- but the sole is compact? And is wearing and sanding away at the hoof/sole a problem with barefoot horses?
    My other 2 horses have feet that still grow like crazy even barefoot and ridden, but my TB's feet were getting shroter and shorter. Thanks

Maybe he's just one of those horses whose feet don't grow as fast as others?

Comment

TB's in general were not bred to have great feet and many have thin soles anyway, even with shoes. It's good to try barefoot, but please recognize that it might not work for some individuals.

There are things to help harden the sole - like Venice Turpentine and Keratex. There is also something called "hoof armor" (google that term) that was very successfully used during the Santa Fe multi-day endurance race that appears to keep the sole from wearing away. But if your horse has thin soles (as many TBs and some other horses do) those preps may not address his issues.

If you can find boots that work on his feet, that could be a real alternative to nailed on shoes. But if they don't fit or don't work - it's not much help. I have been following the Easyboot folks on FB, they seem pretty helpful and will work with you on an individual basis, so they may have some ways to help you.

I am not currently riding enough to worry about wearing off feet - too many horses, too many chores and not enough trails. Mine are all barefoot with 6 week trims by a "natural trimmer" who seems to be doing a good job. I used to do CTRs and tons of conditioning in California, but that was before there were so many hoof protection options - and back then I used shoes. So I can only report what I've read about as options for you to check out.

Good luck!

Comment

They are all different. Some have iron hooves that wear enough. Some have hooves of almost iron that wear a little too much.

In sandy areas you may well wear off too much foot. Shoes or hoofboots would then be a necessity. I'm actually adding hinds on my TWH next round as I'm riding him so much, he's not got as much hind as I'd like to see, and I want to see how it helps his perception of traction. He worries on canter circles, maybe a shoe will help his confidence.

I think if you ride a great deal, hoofboots or shoes are going to be necessary to protect the feet and avoid soreness. My version of 'riding a great deal' means shoes or boots.

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
          They are all different. Some have iron hooves that wear enough. Some have hooves of almost iron that wear a little too much.

In sandy areas you may well wear off too much foot. Shoes or hoofboots would then be a necessity. I'm actually adding hinds on my TWH next round as I'm riding him so much, he's not got as much hind as I'd like to see, and I want to see how it helps his perception of traction. He worries on canter circles, maybe a shoe will help his confidence.

I think if you ride a great deal, hoofboots or shoes are going to be necessary to protect the feet and avoid soreness. My version of 'riding a great deal' means shoes or boots.
          Ditto-
          If I am conditioning (and I drive, so we can go miles and miles on gravel roads at a strong trot), the gravel just wears hoof like sandpaper. Iron hooves, weak hooves -they all wear with true work and a sand paper type surface. I LOVE barefoot -it is a pain to shoe my horses. BUT if they are truly under work and out on road surfaces or gravel surfaces, hooves wear down.

To say otherwise is propaganda by the barefoot crowd... or maybe, they haven't ever really conditioned up a horse (ok, that was mean -I apologize).
          Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

My farrier and I had a discussion about the whole natural-as-inspired-by-mustangs movement. He had two observations:
            1) A mustang chooses the surfaces it walks on and how much exercise it gets. A domestic horse doesn't.
            2) A mustang with crappy feet starves or gets eaten by a predator. A domestic horse with crappy feet can wear shoes and/or retire to the pasture or the breeding shed.

Since your horse wasn't bred in the wild and isn't living in natural conditions now, it seems reasonable to take whatever steps are necessary to keep it comfortable in its current lifestyle.

Comment

I'd listen to your farrier.

An abrasive surface can absolutely overwear the hoof without protection. I've owned several TB's and trim quite a few more. They seem to have softer walls than many other breeds. There are exceptions and I do come across some very good-footed TB's. But in general, their feet are soft in comparison to some other breeds.

I'm thinking this contributes to wearing. If they are easy to rasp, they'll wear away easily on an abrasive surface.

I always ride my OTTB's with boots on their front feet. One also needed boots on his hinds. They do not move as confidently without hoof protection, and I am not about to risk bruising of the sole or pedal osteitis over an ideal.

I also trim horses with very hard hoof walls, to the point where I can barely close my nippers. I've noticed that certain breeds in particular seem to have these extra hard walls. Again, individuals vary.

Note: Getting advice from the internet is useful in that it expands your learning and gives you new ideas. However, none of us are there seeing your horse, noting how comfortably he moves or how his hooves wear. Your farrier is there and after a couple of trims/shoeings is very familiar with his feet. So weigh the opinions carefully while keeping that in mind.
              "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Originally posted by Cielo Azure View Post
                Ditto-
                If I am conditioning (and I drive, so we can go miles and miles on gravel roads at a strong trot), the gravel just wears hoof like sandpaper. Iron hooves, weak hooves -they all wear with true work and a sand paper type surface. I LOVE barefoot -it is a pain to shoe my horses. BUT if they are truly under work and out on road surfaces or gravel surfaces, hooves wear down.

To say otherwise is propaganda by the barefoot crowd... or maybe, they haven't ever really conditioned up a horse (ok, that was mean -I apologize).
                Well, I think some horses with proper maintenance can do it. I personally have a horse who is endurance fit and barefoot, never had shoes or boots on in his life, and his feet hold up over our granite sand, lava rocks, and gravel and paved roads. But, I do think he's an exception rather than a rule. Most horses will require some sort of protection when traveling many miles over abrasive surfaces, especially at speed. Whether that's shoes or boots should be determined by the individual circumstances.

I just like to brag about my pony's great feet.
                exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was just thinking about it because it is very common to hear people say use boots when transitioning- but after they are 'transitioned' does that mean that their feet get harder, or if you ride a lot they begin to wear down and get less comfortable.

My horse now is ok with just fronts on. He would probably like hind but I'm going to turn him out in 3 weeks and I can't afford to just have shoes on for that time. I'll just do light riding in the rubber ring.

But thanks for the input. I think the next time I start him up again with barefoot in mind, I am going to get a set of 4 gloves with pads and see if that's a better strategy.

Comment

I have a horse and a mule that have great feet and don't need shoes to be sound and happy. I have another horse who must be shod on his fronts or he is in agony. Some horses just can't go barefoot.

Comment

As Matryoshka's experience goes, so does mine. Some horses have soft feet that make your rasps and nippers work overtime trimming. Others have feet that trim like cheese under the knife.

You can't transition a horse out of it's DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cielo Azure View Post
                        I LOVE barefoot -it is a pain to shoe my horses.
                        How so?

Comment

Of all the horses I trim, I've run across a few that had soft feet that wore away to nothing very quickly and needed constant protection in the form of boots or shoes. In both those cases, the horses were living and working on abrasive surfaces (rough cut sand, limestone screenings, and gravel) and there was too much moisture in the environment. Those two things together were bad news for those horses. Aldo their diets were not suiting all their needs.

Without knowing ALL the details of the entire situation there is no way to say for sure if your horse will just always have soft feet that wear down to nubs. Perhaps a change in environment would help, and maybe it won't. Sometimes adding a really great hoof and joint supplement that provides ample amounts of MSM, lysine, E, copper, zinc, etc. works miracles on feet. Sometimes the effect is negligible.

I've also seen (and owned) horses who had these kind of feet to the point where shoes wouldn't even work. They constantly chipped and broke out until there was nothing left to nail to.

When horses are having major hoof issues like this, always look to the diet and environment first. Do absolutely everything you can do to support them, and then see what you've got. If you're doing everything you can do in terms of diet, environment, and trim, and you STILL have all these issues, then you can chock it up to genetics and just "do what you gotta do." But I see SO many hooves improve when owners seriously take a look at diet. Good hay and a handful of grain is often NOT enough for horses like this.

There's a gelding who had awful feet and the owner wanted to find a farrier to shoe him since I don't shoe. His feet were extremely short, sore, chipped and broken, with layers peeled off halfway up to the coronary band. Every time I went out to trim her horses, I told her that she really needed to analyze this horse's diet and environment and see what could be changed. She ended up selling the horse. I still trim him at his new home, and guess what - his feet are beautiful. All those issues are resolved. The horse is still barefoot. Never had shoes on. But the diet and environment are completely different. It's actually been a really cool study for me - just to see how much these things can affect horses.

Just to ward off any trainwrecks - I am NOT suggesting that all horses can live happily barefoot. There are those that cannot. I'm only giving you ideas on other things to look into to see if you can support the horse further.
                          Last edited by Auventera Two; Apr. 12, 2010, 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                          X