• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My first 50: It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 50: It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do

Actually, it was a 55 - At the Biltmore Mountin' Hopes Endurance Ride in Asheville, NC 1-1/2 weeks ago (Sept 22nd). You might remember me posting previously about getting ready for my first 50 after doing LD's for two seasons.

I think it was the most physically, emotionally, and mentally challenging thing I have EVER done.

It was 4 loops - 18.8, 10, 16.3, and 10 with 40 minute holds in camp. At the end of the 3rd loop I wanted to quit the ride, sell my horse, and never ride again. Seriously. It didn't help that my mentor got pulled. So it was just me and Diane (first time rider). But I'm SOOOO glad I stuck it out. As my husband put it (he crewed for me) - it went from a fun ride to a competition - me against the trail. And *I* persevered. Actually the 4th loop, my attitude totally changed - I found renewed strength - mentally and phsyically. Ever step, every hill, every rock, I told my horse Ice "come on! You can do it!" I was telling Ice that, but I think it was really for me. My florida horse did great in the very rocky and very hilly terrain. I don't think he ever hit the "wall" like I did (BTW, he has hit a wall on 25's and 30's).

I was the turtle - finishing in something like 9 hrs and 45 minutes. Diane and I finished in the dark.

Several people have told me your first 50 is the hardest, sooo...

I'm doing my 2nd 50 at the Red Barn Run in south central Georgia.
    ** The Happy Hoofer - Your local horse resource for NW FL & south AL - Visit www.HappyHoofer.com
    ** Sept 19 & 20th Blackwater Boogie Endurance Ride has been Cancelled. Visit ww.FiveFlagsAHA.org

Congratulations! That can be a challenging ride. I was pulled there a year ago. But what a beautiful trail it is! Lots of cantering space.

The challenge of the trail is what its all about. I love it. Even when I'm cursing every step of the way. It gets in your blood.

My first 50 (actually 55) was the No Frills. My friend told me it was a piece of cake and great for a first 50. BEYOTCH! She laughed at my curses and shaking fists and said now that the hard one was over, it will all seem easy afterwards.

Not so sure of that. But I don't whine as much now. Nothing has been as hard as that first 55.
    Last edited by pandorasboxx; Oct. 2, 2007, 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

YAY! I'm so glad you did it! You made it! So glad to hear that your horse did so well, that's excellent!

I remember when I first morphed from a casual weekend hack around the pasture person to a dedicated distance rider. I did distance riding for a couple of years before I ever entered a ride. The first time I took my mare out on the trail with the determination to do 10 miles, it was hell. Then I was determined to do 15 miles and it was hell. And 20 was hell. And 25 was hell. And 35 was even bigger hell. So I imagine that a 50 will be - oh, you know - hell. But seriously though, I look back on all these miles and can't help but feeling fulfilled. I'm getting stronger, fitter, and more determined and so is my horse. It's such an unbelievably rewarding sport.

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!

that's a great accomplishment.
        was it hard mentally to be out there for so long? i bet you learned a lot about yourself and your horse during this experience.
        http://www.eponashoe.com/
        TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Comment

Congratulations!
          I have over 1,000 miles and I find that sometimes 50s are easy, sometimes a bitch! I think it just depends on the way I feel that particular day, physically and mentally. I did a hard 65 miler in which I had a riding time of over 11 hours and I enjoyed every minute of it. Then I've done easy 6.5 hour 50s that seemed to drag on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by marta View Post
            was it hard mentally to be out there for so long? i bet you learned a lot about yourself and your horse during this experience.
            Yes, the amount of time was definitely an issue. I had never been on a horse's back for so long!

And yes, this type of experience pushes you and your horse to the limit. Training and conditiong make up most of the end picture, but there's something to be said for willpower and determination
            ** The Happy Hoofer - Your local horse resource for NW FL & south AL - Visit www.HappyHoofer.com
            ** Sept 19 & 20th Blackwater Boogie Endurance Ride has been Cancelled. Visit ww.FiveFlagsAHA.org

Comment

Yes that first 50 can be a killer.

I had been riding Mileage rides (the Ontario version of LDs) and CTRs up to 35 miles and thought I would attempt a 50 miler END.

I ended up taking all the synovial fluid out of my knees at mile 35 coming in to the vet check with tears streaming down my face, fingers knotted in the mane and not helping my poor horse at all. I managed to jog the CRI - cause damn it he had just carried me the last 12 miles with no assistance from me.

I wolfed down a handful of ASA and Ibuprofen during the 35 minute hold and let my stirrups down a hole, clambered back on and away we went. We finished in the dusk with me feeling only slight pain - should have washed the NSAIDs down with alcohol.

I swore I would never do another 50 at that time. Well, I sort of kept that promise by only never doing another 50 on that horse but I have since racked up at least another 7 50 mile END and 1 50 mile (part of a 2 day 75 mile) CTR. I have even ridden a 8:49 ride (it was total 11:30 on the clock including holds).

Now on the right horse I would contemplate a 75 miler but I certainly don't have 100 milers in me.

I'd rather ride a faster 50 than a slower 50. It's tougher when you are all by yourself on the trail and have no one to pass the time with.

Keep heart, you finished, you survived and you will ride on.
              Check out our horses at http://community.webshots.com/user/dalriadadm

Chronicle of My Horse http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Diana

Comment

Congrats on finishing your 1st 50! That first one is a bit of a shocker but now you can't go back because 25 miles is just a romp in the park after doing a 50!

50s with 4 loops are tough--the 3rd loop blues can really get you. But once you start on that 4th loop, things get better because you are almost done! I'd much rather do a 3 loop 50 than 4 loops.

After a few more 50s, you might find yourself contemplating a 100. Then you will know you are crazy!

Comment

Yaaaahhh!!!! Congrats on your completion. Biltmore is a difficult trail and I can GUARANTEE you will find Red Barn Run easier. There are no hills on that ride. I *hopefully* will be there next weekend doing the LD, although I was supposed to be napping after doing the Talladega Yellowhammer ride today. I had to do an emergency fill in at work today though . On the ride, did the trails still take you right behind some enormous houses? Isn't that ridiculous, some of those houses???!!! Beautiful trails though, and parking is ample. Vets are strict though, and since it is a benefit ride, the prizes are lacking.

So come prepared next weekend. The Perry's ( who put on Red Barn Run) are really nice people and treat everyone really well there.

Comment

ROFL ok you've convinced me to stick to 25's!!

My trainer keeps hinting I should do 50's next year but to me 25 seems perfect, like a long trail ride where you're done before noon and can sit back with a beer and watch the others

Sounds like 50's are the hell I imagine then to be
                    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

I'd like to try a 50, even after reading this thread. However, Butch and I haven't even completed a 25 yet! Still, I'm dying to try it. The 30 mile CTR wasn't as tough as I had imagined it, but that was an easy horse. I'm sure the 50 is much, much tougher. I like tough.
                      "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Congratulations. I did the Old Dominion 50 (a long time ago)which I was told was 50+ It was the hardest thing I ever did, so cudos to you!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I could do one now.
                        RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

As an after thought, what organizations do you belong to?
                          RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Eventer55 View Post
                            As an after thought, what organizations do you belong to?
                            I am very involved in Five Flags Arabian Horse Association: the Secretary, Websmater, past Ride Secretary for FFAHA's Spanish Trail CTR for three year, chair of numerous large organized rides and benefits for FFAHA, and Ride Manager for the Blackwater Boogie Endurance Ride since I started it 2 years ago.

I'm also a member and the webmaster for Panhandle Equine Rescue.

I'm a member of the (AHA) Arabian Horse Association and (AERC) American Endurance Ride Conference.

Comment

• Original Poster

Quartersrule, yes, there is that section of trail where you ride behind some huge mansions, within spitting distance.
                              I was the turtle at the Biltmore ride, and I was definetely looking forward to getting a turtle award. I admit was disappointed when they didn't award them, especially when I (hopefully?) will not be the turtle again.

Comment

This is the first time I have ever come into this section of the forums and listening to your comments I find quite amazing. I cannot imagine riding 50 miles. I suffer from trail rides.... the one hour kind...ha ha.
                                http://regcorkumlive.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have never found a 50 to be a hell ride. I rode a 75 this year and was just bored to death because I was not riding with anyone else. Even it wasn't what I would call a hell ride. Never done a 100 miler, but I could possibly see where that is one, lol!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X