• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

first 50 next saturday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first 50 next saturday

before it felt like finally, now i feel like, wait, that's too soon, i need some more time to prepare

but it looks like it's finally going to happen and we will be attempting our first 50 mile ride next saturday. i'm going to take it one loop at a time and just see how far we'll get.
    i am also planning to foam her bare boots on for this ride. we've had on and off issues with the gaiters rubbing and if i foam successfully, that would be one less thing to worry about. i will bring my hind bares as 'spares' in case the foamed on boots come off.

so all last minute pieces of wisdom are welcome.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Now mind you, I've only foamed on boots once ...

... but as I recall, having them COME OFF was not the problem, but getting them off caused some grunting and expletive eruptions.

:-)

Good luck!

I like the one-loop-at-a-time approach. I've stuck with it myself, and it works for me, mentally and emotionally.

We'll expect a full report, of course.

--Patti

Comment

• Original Poster

LOL!

thanks for making me laugh.
      it's been a rough week. just found out on sunday night that the BO is selling the barn.
      i normally get a little anxious the week before the ride and this week i feel a lot more on edge.
      but you just made me LAUGH!
      i will report. i'm curious about this ride, since it's their first one (Rhode Island, ESCOHEAG). the trails sound very interesting (varied).
      i think the first loop is a 20 so nice and long.
      we've been riding our local trails most of the summer so my mare should be pretty happy (exicted even) to work in a new area.

Comment

Oh hey!

We were supposed to be going to that ride!

Unfortunately hubby's horse is just NQR so we're going to stay home instead.

Have a great time. Ride your ride. Look around at the fall colors and smile a lot.

I heard something about a beer or wine tasting down the road from the ride camp.

Go indulge after you finish your first 50! :-)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by patti View Post
          Look around at the fall colors and smile a lot.

I heard something about a beer or wine tasting down the road from the ride camp.

Go indulge after you finish your first 50! :-)
          that sounds like a great advice

gothedistance,

thanks for all those tips.
          you're so right about not being able to sleep the night before. the first time we camped i slept for maybe 45 minutes total. the next time i did better, slept for good part of the night until some odd sounds coming out of the woods woke me up (couldn't decipher what animal was making its way through camp and it sounded ODD).
          so maybe this time i'll actually sleep through the night...wishful thinking. but i'm much calmer now about camping. instead i'm worrying about the ride

Comment

• Original Poster

so here is an update

we didn't finish. we RO'd after the first 20 mile loop. the terrain was much harder than i anticipated. what was described as hills looked and felt like mountain to us and sand and gravel was really rocks. to make matters worse, kip pulled off her front boot maybe 4 minutes into the ride so i used a hind boot for a front spare which meant no boots to put on her hinds. i felt her discomfort and although we got through vetting just fine (we took it slow, i've never gone that slow in my life!) i felt that it would be unfair to her to try and continue especially since time was likely to become an issue at the end.

we already planned to stay overnight until sunday, so i went out to find my lost boot, came back to camp and refoamed it on. so on sunday a.m. got up early and took her out on an hour long hack with all 4 boots on. much easier that way

it's a beautiful location for a ride. i know this was their first year putting it on. they had some trouble with marker vandalism on the last loop of the 50 i think. but in general, the ride went very smoothly.

we had a full moon shining on saturday as we were getting ready. we could hear turkeys and coyote in the background. it really was a beautiful weekend.

hopefully with some more preparation we can try do finish that 50 next year. it was a learning experience for me on so many levels.

if we feel right, we will give another 50 a shot in november (mustang). we know that area well and we can train there on the weekends, so we won't have a 'footing shocker'

so that's my story on our first attempt at a 50.

Comment

Aww Marta, good for you for giving it such a great effort!! Don't worry about not finishing. There are always more rides. The horse's comfort and both your safety is more important.

I ROd once this summer and am glad I did. It was miserably hot and I wasn't feeling good at all. My 2 horses were fine, and my friend was fine, but I don't sweat so I was having a major issue with body cooling. It's supposed to be fun, and if you're not doing well, or your horse isn't doing well, it's just not worth it.

Comment

• Original Poster

auventera two

thanks!
                i actually felt good about my decision. it was the right thing to do. and i got a a great 20 mile ride out of it, too
                i love that mare so much and i know her well enough to know that this was not a happy ride for her. in fact, when i went back for the hack on sunday a.m. (with all 4 boots on!), we rode through a part of the trail where she lost the boot and i was amazed that she kept on going as well as she did considering how difficult the footing was.

and the experience makes us better prepared for the next time

Comment

You've almost got me talked into using the foam for Butch instead of gaiters. It would be SO much cheaper and would make him eligible for CTR's as well. I have to cobble together size 3 boots for width and size 2 heel straps and gaiters to shorten the darn boot.

Did you cut out the back of your boot? If so, how does that work with the foam. Heck, maybe I'll throw caution to the wind, take the gaiters off my boots and just try it. He does manage to grab the heels of his front boots often, so we'll see. I won't burn the gaiters until I know for sure.

I hear ya about the horse having to be able to negotiate the terrain. My OTTB is so worried about all the other horses that he doesn't watch where he is going. Luckily, he's athletic.

The little Arab mare I did the 30 on was much smarter about the footing. Even though she wanted to keep up with the other horses in our group, she still watched her footing. She can trot and canter down even steep, rocky hills without falling because she watches her footing. Heck, I think Butch would step into thin air if he was focused on catching up with the horse in front of us! He needs experience to substitute for the lack of brains.

It's neat how much closer each ride bonds us to our horse. I'm really having trouble letting Cressy get adopted out, because each time I ride her I fall more deeply in love. It's making me extra careful to place her in the best possible home. Even so, I missed my idiotic Butch on the CTR.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm glad you did the smart thing and RO'd. Think how upset you'd be if your mare had gone lame on the second loop! You did the right thing, and now you'll be that much better prepared for the second ride. We may see you at that Mustang ride if I can get Butch fit by then. We'll be doing LD, though.
                  "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

I agree with GTD about shoeing. While I have seen horses out west doing 50s and I think even 100s in ez boots, they are rare birds. Boots twist off some horses and they are bulky to carry. I can carry two - maybe - in my saddle bag at the expense of water bottles. I've lost shoes and used a boot until the next stop where there is usually a farrier and that works for me. Once when the footing was nice we did a LD bare on a rear that was pulled off in the first mile and my boot was back in the trailer at the start, but that was pretty unusual. Shoes have been used for centuries and work best overall in my opinion.

Sounds like the best choice for you guys was a RO, particularly when you had to go so slow. Not as fun for you or the horse. Thanks for sharing what happened and better luck next time!

Comment

• Original Poster

without getting into a debate on shod v. booted

a lady from nj did that ride barefoot all around. she did the 50 and i think top tenned.
                      she also did a justin morgan barefoot. so while it's not for everyone, those are doable barefoot.

regarding booted, i'm sure you all know the story of karen chatton from easy care and thousands of miles she logged in with boots. there are many folks like her who do it successfully as well.

please don't judge the success rate of competing in boots by my first attempt.

Comment

GTD, I hear ya about the shoes, too. If my boy had better feet, I'd consider shoeing for distance rides. However, he really isn't a good candidate for shoes. If he can't do distances in boots, then shoes probably wouldn't work either--his walls are soft and he'd probably leave foot behind with a pulled shoe. My boy just might not be a good choice for distance, considering his hoof quality. However, I'm gonna try it before I call it quits with him. Same goes with shoes. If the boots don't work out, I'll probably try shoes before I admit failure in the sport. They will be a last resort, though. For now I like being able to trim him every 2-3 weeks to keep him in proper balance.

Use of boots certainly takes persistence and dedication (not to mention some creativity). One of the ride people at the CTR cited rubs as a reason they don't like (and probably won't allow) Epics for distance rides. She believes people using boots sore their horses. I didn't want to argue, but the number of shod horses I saw that had contracted heels...not to mention run forward toes... Those issues will cause more soundness problems down the road than sand in a boot. In fact, I can't argue this point because I haven't done any real distance riding with hoof boots yet. I'll have a more valid opinion after I can see how it goes for myself instead of just reading about it.

Perhaps CTR's should judge the shoeing quality along with body and leg issues so that distance riders learn what healthy feet look like, whether shod OR bare (or booted).

Marta, I didn't find your experience with boots to be discouraging. Far from it. I see a potential solution for me and my horse. People will do what suits them and their horse. For me, I think boots are best for Butch. I have another OTTB that I wouldn't hesitate to shoe for competition. Boots take a higher level of rider commitment than shoes, but that is okay, because I am very committed to the health of Butch's feet. It has taken me years to get his feet in their current healthy state. I had purchased the foam but chickened out of using it on ride day. Now I'm looking forward to trying it. I don't really like gaiters, but I thought they were the only viable option to keep shoes on. And while I prefer endurance to CTR, I think he'll do better to train via CTR, since the horses go out in small groups rather than en masse. That is much better for his race-horse brain to handle than the other.

Did you get to see any of his bucking back at the Foxcather ride? I heard it was an impressive sight, but I was too busy hanging on and gritting my teeth to look back and see how high he was kicking.

Comment

• Original Poster

matryoshka

i sure did see those bucks.
                          and yes, they were impressive.

but to give you a perspective, last year at the canal ride (i was a volunteer) there was a woman w/ a luney arab. that horse was dragging her all over the place on the ground and under saddle. everyone was talking about her 'misfortune.'
                          i saw her at the ride this weekend and i could not believe it was the same horse. standing, tied to the trailer, grazing, like a nice good horse... hard to believe.

she did say that she doesn't start en masse but waits until everyone leaves and then she goes.

Comment

It's good to know there is hope. He's usually pretty easy when he isn't fit, but yesterday he started bucking as soon as he heard other horses on the trail behind my group. Until then, he'd been content to chew the bit and roll his eyes because two of the horses were ahead of us. He's funny, but the bit chewing gets annoying after a while. He does this even when we go bitless!

Comment

Yeah, hoof supplements make the feet grow faster but don't seem to improve the quality of the walls. I'm not really worried about whether Butch can do a 50 when we haven't even tried 25 miles yet. For all I know, he won't pulse down no matter how well I ride or how fit he is. It would be easier if his feet were shaped to fit the Easyboot sizes, or if they'd make round ones.

I'm hoping the foam does the trick. If he can't do 50's due to hoof issues, we'll stick to 25's. I find the training rides to be more fun than the competitions so far, but that may change if we actually get a few under our girth. I like training for the rides and having a goal in mind. Otherwise I'll just plod around and will ride less often. It won't matter to me whether we just do LD's or not, since I don't ever expect to be truly competetive in either endurance or CTR. If the foam makes it possible to do CTR's, it'll be easier to find more rides I can attend. I'm sticking with the horse, not the sport.

It's possible that those of us with really good reasons for sticking with boots are the ones you see out on the rides. If I didn't have compelling reasons to keep Butch barefoot, I would have put shoes on him a year or two ago. I learned to shoe in farrier class, and after a refresher (and some tools), I could do it myself. But I'd rather not shoe him.
                              Last edited by matryoshka; Oct. 2, 2007, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Outside the shoe/boot discussion ...

... I do think a first 50 on footing/terrain your horse is accustomed to is a very good thing.

Good luck and I'll look forward to hearing about it!

Good on you for knowing when to say when. BTDT, but I've never regretted it.

--Patti

Comment

Kudos on knowing when to fold em. Sometimes that is one of the hardest things to figure out.

While Karen Chaton represents Easy Boots, she rode successfully in them for years and many miles before being hired by them.

Have you tried the yahoo barefoot endurance group? Lots of tips on booting there.

I've had better luck w/shoes & pads.
                                  Last edited by pandorasboxx; Oct. 2, 2007, 11:47 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

• Original Poster

pandorasboxx

yes, i'm a frequent poster and reader on the barefoot endurance group.

and btw, guys, the foamed on front boots are still on.

i think matryoshka is correct that those of us who stick with the boots have a good reason for wanting our horses to remain bare and we are willing to go an extra step to make it doable. i also think that there is so much new technology regarding hoof boots that it's a good thing that there are people out there testing them in real life because in the long run the improvements and changes made as a result of our feedback benefit everyone else.

Comment

• Original Poster

i didn't know about kc's plans for making hoof boots.

wonder what they look like... so is heraldic barefoot? i think he's on the cover of endurance news this month.

i've heard that the boots can stay can stay on as long as 3 weeks to a month (i believe karen chatton posted that she took off the boots that chief had on at strawberry fields like 4 weeks later). i know others say 2 weeks. if i wanted to get them off, i could probably start poking around with a screwdriver and letting some water in there to loosen them. but i'm curious myself to see how long they stay on so i'm just watching.
                                      if they're still on this weekend (i'm giving her this week off to make up for the long hours spent on 95 trailering to and from the ride - grrrr! CT pave your road!!!!) i will take her out for a ride again.

i have made a conscious decision to remove my mare's shoes b/c of alleged 'navicular' and lameness issues. that was in 2002. we are NOT going back to shoes if i can help it. and keep in mind, that whatever problems we have going barefoot right now, are related to her metabolic problems and recent (june) case of mild laminitis. the one before that was in november '06. so her hooves are nice, her frogs opened up this spring like blooming flowers (finally!!!!) but the residuals from laminitis hold us back on hard or rocky terrain

Comment

The revised Hoof Armor looks promising.

I'm taking David the owner up on his offer of a discount to try it.

(Now that you mention it Marta, I recognize your posts on the barefoot group.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X