• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Favorite trail essentials/goodies??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite trail essentials/goodies??

Hello all!!

For my mom's birthday, I'm completely outfitting her for trail riding. We plan to do some big LONG trips in the future, but as it is, she hasn't been on even an afternoon trail ride in twenty years, and it's been about two years for my short trips out. But, in the spirit of giving, going overboard, and having fun, I'm getting her all SORTS of stuff!

Top two on my wanted list right now - what are your recommendations for saddle pads (western) and cinches? I want something shock absorbing and cushy, but don't want extra hot, pinching, or nasty when when wet

After that...what are some of your favorite goodies, must haves, or indespensible items while out on the trail?? I'm planning on stuffing the saddle bags I bought her, but so far I've just got a Trail Rider magazine and a book of Michigan trails!

Very nice idea!

My most essential take along, be it for short trail rides or long, is a cell phone pouch that I attach to my belt loop (not my horse or his packs) that holds my phone, a hoof pick, and my car key. That way, on the chance that I get stranded, I've got phone (My horse, three horses ago, used to do this to me regularly. He's retired now. ).

For our packs, we always have a small bottle of bug spray, a small pair of branch clippers (we ride the same trails regularly, so we clear along the way), some sort of beverage and those little packs of peanut butter crackers (peanut butter is my miracle food). If we're going on a really long ride we bring a sponge so if it's hot, we can cool off the boys at a stream.

We also bring at least one crop, so whoever is in lead can swat away the spider webs. I really wish someone would come up with some sort of web blaster!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Comment

gatorade for me and a crochet (sp.?) fly mask for my horse...as well as a cell phone for emergencies

Comment

Toilet paper or tissue for when nature calls

I am not an endurance rider or anything, just enjoy doing long trail rides. I carry the following :

Small first aid kit
        knife
        hoof pick
        small bug spray
        sun block (I'm a red head and forever getting burned)
        Tube of Electrolytes
        Something small for me to eat
        cookies or carrots for my horse
        Fly mask for me
        Fly mask for my horse
        Bottle of water
        Collapsable bucket (actually got a small camping sink that folds down really tiny) could use gallon size plastic bag as well. This is in case the only water on the trail is inaccessable to the horses.
        Lead rope
        Cell phone
        sponge if it is a really hot day
        cheap rain poncho
        maps of the area that I am riding
        clippers to trim overgrown trails and a tiny folding saw
        aspirin
        benedryl

I think that is about it. It's amazing what you can jam into a cantle bag and not have it be heavy.

I encourage my friends who need them to carry inhalers or epi pens.

For saddle pads I use a Saddleright pad with a liner. When I have money (yeah right) I want a Dixie Midnight pad to replace the liner.

Oh and these are super comfy!! http://www.bygayle.com/seatsaver/horse_seat.html
        Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

You've gotten some great ideas already, but I just wanted to add that the most important item ever for shorter (1-4 hrs) trail rides is a water bottle holder. I have a saddle bag too, but I find that I rarely use it for day rides, as I can fit the essentials and a bottle of water in one of these, and it isn't in my way at all. http://www.bigdweb.com/WATER_BOTTLE_..._ON_P13642.cfm

Comment

I thought of something else that's not pricey -- how about putting a neon orange vest in it too, to wear during hunting season? I actually have a neon orange helmet cover for hunting season. My SO calls me "pumpkin head." It's hideous, but it works!
            "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
            <>< I.I.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! I actually did get her a nice insulated water bottle holder. No orange vest yet, but I DID make us a few blaze orange quarter sheets, and we've got jingle bells/rhythm beads too. A 14 hand Haflinger...heck, even I'D probably think she looks like a deer through a site!

Please keep the ideas coming...I'm having too much fun with this!

Comment

Trail stuff

Trail pads really depend on how your saddle fits. I have different ones for each horse. My old QH has a very thick and cushy one. My freisian cross has a felt pad, not too thick. I use a rope cinch, because it breathes. Neither of my horses have to be cinched up tight, as they have great withers. Be careful of the neoprene ones as they can gall the horse easily.
                I have saddle bags in the back, and a water bottle that clips to the buckle on the front side of my western saddle. One of the most important things to remember is to distribute the weight on both sides as evenly as you can. I bought a really cool pad that fits between my dessage saddle and the dressage pad. It has clips on all four corners and strings, so I can ride on the trail in that saddle, if I want to...There is so much stuff out there...have fun!!
                Sue

Sue T.
                It doesn't cost anymore to think positive!

Comment

oh, yeah!

VERY important to have orange or bright red during hunting season.....good idea...!!!

Originally posted by jazzrider View Post
                  I thought of something else that's not pricey -- how about putting a neon orange vest in it too, to wear during hunting season? I actually have a neon orange helmet cover for hunting season. My SO calls me "pumpkin head." It's hideous, but it works!

Sue T.

Comment

A plastic "red heart" dog tag for the horse's bridle. I have one on each of my breast plates for foxhunting and endurance use. The tag contains my farm name, address, and phone number. Even though it has never happened that one of guys has parted company with me out on the trail, if it ever does happen, I won't have to worry. Their home is only a phone call away.

I've got these too, except mine are bright yellow. Gives me peace of mind.

Comment

I know there are some people who claim that these pads irritate their horses, but a must for me is the weird looking rubbery textured pad for under your good pad. They keep the good pads completely dry and clean. It took me awhile to buy one because it didnt look like something you'd want to put on your horse's skin, but I've done 65s with them in the heat with no problem. Dixie Midnight is one expensive brand name and places like Country Supply have cheaper imitation ones for like $40. I've used mine on 3 different horses for 3 years now and have never, I mean never, had to wash my $200 Equipedic pad.

Comment

Dixie Midnight Pad or the knock-off sold by Country Supply (search for vent pad or no-sweat pad)

Comment

wow...what a ton of great ideas! I would be careful with the treeless saddles, though. Make sure they really work with your horse. Because there is no tree, the weight distribution can be a problem for some horses. Not all, of course, and the people they work for swear by them....just be cautious...try one for a while, if you can, before buying...
                          Sue

Originally posted by gothedistance
                          I think this is such a sweet idea! Your mother is going to love this!

More gift ideas:

A cheapo plastic rain poncho. Indispensible when the weather turns wet and nasty...and that can happen in the blink of an eye out on trail! You can get them for a few bucks, small enough to squish in a pocket. I have a breathable fabric raincoat called a "pocket raincoat" that folds in on itself to stuff into one of it's own pockets! I came with a clip for hanging on the saddle, and more than once I'm am SO glad I had it along with me.

A GPS unit. Expensive, yes... but such fun toy to have on the trail to know your miles, your speed, etc.

Endurance clip ends for reins. There is nothing nicer than being able to quickly clip, or unclip, your rein ends to convert your reins to a long lead rope. No need to throw reins over horse's head anymore -- simply clip/unclip.

Small pruning nippers for cutting back brush/prickers. I *always* pack along my set of pruning nippers. You'd be surprised at how handy they come in when something nasty and prickery decides the night before to block your way. Save your fingers and hands from being pricked and hurt. One quick snip of the nippers... and you're on your way once again.

A plastic "red heart" dog tag for the horse's bridle. I have one on each of my breast plates for foxhunting and endurance use. The tag contains my farm name, address, and phone number. Even though it has never happened that one of guys has parted company with me out on the trail, if it ever does happen, I won't have to worry. Their home is only a phone call away.

Bright colored riding gloves. Easy to see, easy to find. No more hunting in the grass to find them, or searching the barn to find where you've thrown them. They stand out like a beacon. And you always know they're yours -- who else would wear neon blue, passion purple, or "kiss me" red riding gloves? Besides, they look so cool out on the trail!

Treeless saddle. If you seriously expect to do some long hours, or multiple days, in the saddle trail riding, take a hint from endurance riders and consider a treeless. They are incredibly comfortable - heads and tails above any treed saddle -- for both human and horse, and make the hours of riding just a joy to be in the saddle. You can get them in western models. Recommendations (that have western models) are Barefoot, Sensation, Bob Marshall.

Sue T.

Comment

I also carry a bear bell and pepper spray. But if you're not where that's a problem, not necessary. Actually, the pepper spray is for protection from drunken hunters this time of year, sadly.

And I carry duct tape and some rolled up baling twine. You'd be amazed at the many uses for twine in a pinch. Saddle ties, a rein, even used it once as a sling.

I carry a whistle and a small mirror, too, in case I get lost and can then signal rescuers.

Comment

Wool saddle covers such as "Lady Godiva" ones my daughter got me for Mother's Day for the RIDER are lovely:

http://www.actionridertack.com/catal...roducts_id=248

They come in both English and western styles, full or partial saddle covers.

Also a tush pad to put under the saddle cover really makes the ride softer (another very nice gift from my daughter). Long Riders Gear has these as well as full and partial saddle covers:

http://www.longridersgear.com

Rope halters are nice to put under the bridle unless you have one of those convertible bridles.

Comment

I have this small plastic covered wire coiled cable sort of dog lease that I clip one end on to the saddle, and then the other end on the reins when the horse is drinking or standing in a stream. It prevents the reins from falling over their head or in the water. I unclip it when we ride off.
                                There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Comment

Yikes - good ideas everyone. I want a daughter like you!! Well, I have one, actually, but this tops everything! I like Medjool dates and mixed nuts. Also a Leatherman.
                                  Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I like the spur strap idea!! Thanks!!! I've been looking for something to use to tie my rain coat on with.

Comment

Thought I would post my favorite place to get "dog tags". They have plastic ones that hold up really well. The name doesn't wear off like a metal one will.

http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=2

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone!!

So here's the contents of the back of my car thus far:

Circle Y Park and Trail - the saddle she wanted
                                        THEN...
                                        Tucker breastcollar - the type that goes over the neck too
                                        Tucker crupper
                                        I went with a 100% mohair string cinch (with roller buckles!!) - it's what I've always used and I love it, so I stuck with it and bought her one
                                        Nylon saddle cover (with stirrups exposed, so she can ride in it)
                                        Insulated saddle bags
                                        Cantle bag
                                        Horn bag
                                        Insulated water bottle holder on a clip
                                        Trail Rider Magazine
                                        A Trail/Packing how-to book (has lots of knots, how to set up camp, stuff like that)
                                        A book of Michigan Trails
                                        I bought one of those 3-ring nylon/see-through plastic pencil cases (sort of like this, but not quite) and put it on a caribiner hook to clip to a D-ring....figure she could put a trail map in it and be able to see the map, the but the pouch is waterproof.
                                        Sponge and sweat scraper
                                        Hoof pick
                                        Some human and equine first aid supplies in a pouch, along with bug spray and sun block
                                        Blaze orange quarter sheet
                                        Rhythm beads/bells
                                        Horse cookies
                                        A pretzel/peanut trail mix she likes

I'm going to order a few "dog tags" to put on various pieces of equipment.

Rope halter the pony has. Fly mask and ear net the pony has. For now she can use my tacky too pad....

Still shopping, of course. But I swear, she's not getting anything for Christmas!! I can't wait to hit the trails with her though!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X