• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

when land owners change their mind about permission to ride land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when land owners change their mind about permission to ride land

Hello
    One of our (actually the farm where I board) neighbors, who in past years allowed us to hack around his dormant fields (have been harvested for the season- most of the time the field is not accessible as it is with crops) advised us today he would prefer not having horses there. He was polite enough about it- I said okay and thank you, and went on our way. Now I am just a boarder, so I advised our BO and suggested she may want to call him to let him know we have the message and will not return unless otherwise informed that it was okay to do so. We still have a wonderful neighbor that allows us to hack around his beautful farm, so we are not landlocked (thankfully).
    What makes folks change their minds? Liaibility? Bad day? Part of me wants to deliver him a nice hospitality basket with regrets noted and best wishes relayed. Part of me says let sleeping dogs lie and be thankful for the one neighbor who allows us to go there.

How do *you* deal with neighboring land owners?
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
    member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

For land owners that are farmers, the # one rule is - do not mess with crops!!!!!

I lost permission to ride on valuable close field due to an inexperienced rider on a green horse accompanying me, and her horse having a complete meltdown when it saw people working in the crops at a distance.

She broke the #1 rule - do not mess with the crops. Her horse spooked, then stared, then started backing up into the crops. I kept telling her to "get off, get off!" But she didn't understand I meant to get off her horse - in that situation, if you horse is headed into crops, the only answer is to leap off and GET THEM OUT OF THE CROPS, asap. Instead, she sat there kicking and growling as he trampled and spun. Finally she got out and on the road with me, but my heart was already sunk.

Sure enough in a couple days the farm owner saw me riding and said, regrettably, he could not allow us to ride around his field anymore. It was a tough blow for me, that was the main exercise area I had, but I understood. He made up some lame excuse about not wanting horse manure around his crops, but I read between the lines, and didn't blame him.

Do not mess with the crops!!! If your horse is frozen or whatever, GET OFF it and get it under control, not to remount until well away from the valuable crops.

I knew my friend didn't intend any harm, and she's apologized many times since, and I've forgiven her, but that doesn't really get me back the best riding land I had.

So I pass on the advice, to save others from losing permission to ride on farm land - the crops are KING - do whatever you can to prevent a single hoof mark in the field, especially anywhere near growing or harvest seasons!!!

Other than that, it's pretty much case by case, I think. Do what you can to maintain a friendly treaty, and I mean whatever you can ! They, the landowners, are king here, so treat them like royalty every chance you get!

Comment

I live in dread of neighboring land owners shutting down the riding permission. Having that access is such a blessing. We try to maintain good relations by being very, very careful about where we ride and when (ie one farmer lets us ride the edges of his hay fields, but if it's very wet we avoid them anyway, so as not to gouge up the ground or leave tracks in the hay, even though he didn't mention that).

And we deliver goodie baskets every Christmas with a thank you card.

And we make a point of stopping to say hello and exchange pleasantries any time a landowner is out and about, as well as going out of our way to let them know when the cows have broken through the fence again, or if we saw interesting wildlife, etc. We ask all of them about hunting season, too (who is hunting what, where and when), so we can stay out of their way.

We also take care to carefully train any new boarders, showing them exactly where and how they can ride and warning them which landowners are most fussy, etc.

After that, it's just fingers crossed!

Comment

I'd have to say the number one reason a land owner would withdraw permission to ride on his land is abuse of his generosity. Abuse could be, as mentioned above, damage to his crops, fields or facilties, littering or all of the above amounting disrespect of his person or property. I too have only the generosity of the local farmers to thank for my riding trails. I try very hard to not disrespect their property, crops or equipment. So far they've all been very nice and accomodating, many have stopped to talk with me and I consider them friends and neighbors but I never forget whose land I'm on and that I can only ride by their leave.
        "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

I agree with send him some homemade goodies and nice thank you note including the "I hope it wasn't anything I did" part. Maybe he'll let you ride there again, maybe he won't.
          I can definitely understand many reasons why people wouldn't want to let riders on their property- hey, maybe he read the Have You Been Sued thread?-
          That being said, I ride on a lot of private property- and try very hard to follow all of the landowner rules- don't ride when its wet, stay off of crops, clean up after the horses, etc. We also take cookies to all of them every Christmas and do things like make sure we stop to chat and let kids pet the horses
          "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
          So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

Gates!

Leave them as you find them - as a former land owner, I found that the most aggravating thing that could happen was for someone to leave a gate open and the stock escaped/mixed up afterwards.
            Definitely not an endearing action!

Comment

• Original Poster

all good info- thanks!!! What I have done since then is send a nice fruit basket to the neighboring farm that does allow us to ride there- from the farm as a whole so that they know we all are appreciative.

This weekend coming I will ask a friend who knows the farmer who rescinded permission if the guy has any health restrictions (he has been in the hospital recently and does have some health problems) and then send something over there too. What a nice idea and hopefully it will at least make him smile!!! Frankly riding around the edge of the field is rather boring so we are not missing too much, but I really want to make sure he knows we are appreciative of his generosity in the past.
              Appy Trails,
              Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
              member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Comment

Originally posted by baylady7 View Post
                What makes folks change their minds? Liaibility? Bad day?
                Others posted some good ideas.

But to answer the above questions, the best answer is to "ask." Since the landowner handled the situation on friendly terms, it seems the door is open to approach him in a friendly way and find out what the problem is and how or if it can be rectified.

Comment

Since you are at a boarding situation, my first guess would be that at some point he saw a rider doing something he wasn't comfortable with on his land. You were the person he saw and felt secure enough to talk to.

Someone riding unsafely? He was worried if they got hurt he'd be liable? Someone disrespecting his land in some way?
                  Read about my riding adventures at:
                  Spotted T Riding Blog

Comment

Back at my farm in VA, the landowner closed his land to riders when my crazy neighbor went galloping through near to the house with all of her loose dogs running amok. Come to think of it, that is why I kicked her off of my land, too.
                    Unfortunately, the hunt was cut off of it (she was not even in the hunt!!). Then when the farm was sold, the hunt tried to get permission again, but the new "city boy" owner did not want "hoof prints" on his precious field.
                    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
                    Takaupas Top Gold
                    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Comment

It's not always the boarders causing the issue., sometimes its a perception of the barn owner not being neighborly. I used to board at a place where all permission to ride along the edges of a neighbors field was pulled after the landowner asked for help getting plowed out after a snow storm.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      I'm not an outlier; I just haven't found my distribution yet!

Comment

I think it usually stems from someone riding when or where they are not supposed to. Crops are expensive to put in and maintain until harvest and some people just don't respect others property and ride into the fields and damage them. Our neighbor lets us ride in his fields before planting /after they have been harvested and I am very thankful.

Comment

Arcadien, I was in a situation long ago, where it was MY horse that damaged some not yet harvested crops. I felt bad about it and approached the landowner (actually, land renter) about the damage and said that I had done it and simply asked them to asssess the damage and bill me for it. The guy laughed it off and said if I damaged enough to have to bill me he'd be sure to do so.
                          I never saw a bill, but if I hadn't fessed up to it he may have looked at the damage very differently. Considering several of us rode his property from the same barn, I certainly didn't want to ruin it for everyone!

I agree with apprider too, I know two people near me who don't have permission for private land. One had permission and lost it, and it was over a personal issue that I can't even remember now, it was so stupid. Differing opinions on how many rescue cats should be on your property, or something like that not even related to horses. The other one asked permission from a landowner who later got back to her and denied permission on advice from an attorney... yeah, there you go with the liability issues.

Comment

Not horse related but we had to remove our beehives from a property because the new owner thought our bees didn't "look happy". She replaced us with someone who was "organic", I expect it was just a case of he talked nicer to her/buttered her up/she had a history with him.

As far as riding across other people's land, there is a big difference between apologizing ahead of time for damage you've done and having the landowner discover it on his own, much more positive to inform than be discovered. It's also very difficult for a landowner to know who committed some disrespectful act such as leaving a gate unlatched and if the result is bad enough sometimes they cut everybody off.

There's a hunt near here that has landowner appreciation days, big feast and entertainment, always a good public relations move.
                            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                            Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post
                              and try very hard to follow all of the landowner rules- don't ride when its wet, stay off of crops, clean up after the horses, etc.
                              How do you clean up after them? I rode mine through a neighborhood once and she pooped in the street right at the end of someone's driveway. I was mortified, but had no idea what to do about it. Do you bring bags? I know this sounds mocking, but I am really serious (although the visual is making me giggle a little).
                              Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
                              Anonymous Bedouin legend

Comment

Originally posted by sorrelfilly721 View Post
                                How do you clean up after them? I rode mine through a neighborhood once and she pooped in the street right at the end of someone's driveway. I was mortified, but had no idea what to do about it. Do you bring bags? I know this sounds mocking, but I am really serious (although the visual is making me giggle a little).
                                Come back after you are done riding, with your pitchfork and a muck bucket (or bag) and clean up what you left behind.

Comment

This is a 4 year old thread...

Comment

Thank you all for the bump of this thead! Access is a concern of mine as I wonder what future generations of riders will be able to do.
                                    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Comment

It's a shame, but rude, inconsiderate riding neighbors + the high price of insurance & the increase in liability lawsuits these days closed my property to riders immediately after we purchased it 15 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggplant_Dressing View Post
                                        This is a 4 year old thread...
                                        So what? This causes you distress in what way, exactly? The topic is still a timely one.

Comment

Working...
                                        X