• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What do YOU wear out on trail?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do YOU wear out on trail?

Yes, a fashion discussion. No, don't roll your eyes. Now that I've officially stopped trying to be anything other than a trail/pleasure rider (I used to do dressage), I've been slowly changing my collection of riding cloths (and when I say collection, I mean the cloths I set aside as barn/riding cloths either through purchase or retirement from streetwear, so don't roll your eyes again ).

Right now I ride in comfy breeches (discovered Smooth Stride this year and LOVE them) or nice broken in jeans, with half chaps and paddock boots. But it's the tops I struggle with. I HATE to sit on my top, so long shirts, sweatshirts, etc. are out and since I'm short wasted, almost everything is long on me. I went through my closet last night and realized I need to do some shopping, but I don't want to pay some ridiculous price for "riding wear" that's the right length. So I'm asking my COTH friends -- what do you wear riding? Particularly in the fall and spring, when it's not hot, but not cold enough for a nice heavy, short jacket?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Ahhh, that's why trail riding is so great. Who cares what you wear! I loff it.

I always ride in tights (Ariat Venturas, Saddlebums & Irideons) with 1/2 chaps, a T-shirt or Polo and, if a warmer outter layer is needed, a fleece pullover with zip neck.

For winter, I'll do a layer of SmartSlims under my tights and Cuddleduds and a turtleneck long-sleeve on top, then my Mountain Horse jacket. I love that thing! Tons of pockets and uber comfy. Got it on sale last year from Horseloverz.com

My helmet, of course, always....during winter, I'll sock a Polar Fleece cover over it that wraps around my neck. Like these: https://www.helmetcovers.com/index.p...6745f79d406399
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Depends on what I'm doing, but normally i wear my Kerrits low rise rights with either my hubby's green skivvy shirt [he's a marine], or a tank top.

Or, I wear my jeans with half chaps, green shirt or a tank top.

In the winter I throw a hoodie on over the whole ensemble, and if it's really cold I'll wear riding tights under my jeans.
      (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Comment

For a bareback loop around the farm, just jeans and whatever t-shirt, sweatshirt, etc.

For a "real" ride, I use Under Armour athletic pants, and knit athletic tops like Reebok, Under Armour or Nike.

I've given up totally on "riding clothing." I have one pair of Irideon saddleseat, bootcut breeches that I like, but they don't wick sweat and keep my cool and dry like the athletic pants do.

We do lots and lots of miles and typical riding clothing just doesn't cut it for me.

For shoes I wear Ariat Terrains, Fatbaby boots, or just my Crocs.

Comment

Ditto on the Ariat Terrains for shoes. LOFF DEM!!!
          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Tropical Rider Enduracools, or their polar fleeced lined tights. Been wearing Tropical Rider's since '02. The polar fleece line Tropical Riders tights earned their keep when I competed on an endurance ride and it was 20 with very strong winds. Wow, it was cold, warm tights though.

In the summer a Nike heat/moisture wicking shirt, keeps you cool and dry.

In the winter or cooler months tee shirts, or turtle neck, and sweat shirt and bright colors to be noticed first, and not mistaken for a deer. I like "do not shoot me red", or "do not shoot me pink". I also have a bike riding hi-viz yellow long sleeved shirt I wear also. I call it "do not shoot me hi-viz yellow". :-)

Ariat half chaps.

Either running shoes, or Ariat Terrains.

Tippeary helmet.

SSG all weather gloves, and these current ones are lime with black palms. ("Do not shoot me lime" (of course)).

back to lurking.

Comment

I'm glad someone else mentioned the "don't shoot me" clothes. Its that time of year. I have a bright orange light weight vest for now and when it gets colder a bright red down vest. I'll be wearing one or the other vest every day until Spring. Love the pockets on both. I wish someone would make a nice looking vest in the hi vis colors.

Comment

Jeans, Ariat All Terrain Half chaps, Ariat boots (they're not All Terrains, they're actually from their 'casual collection' or whatever).

Troxel Sierra helmet, most important part of my outfit. Every ride, every time.

As for tops, just whatever I happen to be wearing that day. T-shirt, hoodie, jacket, whatever.

Occasionally I'll ride in the arena with no half chaps, but I really can't stand to ride without them.
                Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Jeans, regular pants ,teashirts-just any combination actually. I usually wear my clothes that I use for regular use and am thinking of throwing away. I use them for about 6 months with the horses-by then there are holes or stains or slobber or shampoo from bathing-so throw them out!

Shoes I use a pair of old cowboy boots that I bought a while ago. Nice way to recycle the clothes though!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                    In the winter or cooler months tee shirts, or turtle neck, and sweat shirt and bright colors to be noticed first, and not mistaken for a deer. I like "do not shoot me red", or "do not shoot me pink". I also have a bike riding hi-viz yellow long sleeved shirt I wear also. I call it "do not shoot me hi-viz yellow". :-)
                    I have a bright orange helmet cover (my SO calls me the great pumpkin or pumpkin head when I wear it ) for hunting season. We also invested in neon safety vests last year after getting too close for comfort to a group of hunters. Before that I wore a hideous old yellow windbreaker. But yes, great thing to point out this time of year.
                    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                    <>< I.I.

Comment

I've gotten some nice, cool, quick-to-dry tops from WalMart in the section where they sell exercise clothes. Found this to be an inexpensive way to supplement my riding gear. Also ride in men's undershirts over a sports bra when the weather is warm. Those things are great in the summer, and cheap.

For colder weather, I layer like blazes, but try to arrange it so I can peal off layers as I overheat. For work and riding, I like an undershirt, sometimes a T, and a mock turtleneck for riding in the cold. I never wear these for trimming, since I get too hot too fast and don't want to strip down to the undershirt. My winder skin ain't pretty (the glare off my shade of white is too much for some horses).

Over the mock turtleneck I put a sweatshirt or fleece, sometimes both. Last year I bought a Goretex jacket to put under a cheap winter coat. The thing is wind proof, which helps keep the heat in. I would love to convince them to put the windproof layer on the outside so there is more insulation next to the skin, but fashion rules even in outerwear, and nobody wants it on the outside.

I don't worry too much about keeping my legs warm, but in winter I switch from half chaps to full chaps and let my butt get cold. Keeps me awake.
                      "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

tights or pullon breeches mostly, sometimes just any old leggings or exercise pants. Day-glo orange hi-way worker type vest for hunting season. Long sleeved Tshirts mostly, although this summer I did break down and wear short sleeved T's a lot. My husband goes to lots of military bases for his work so I have geat T shirts, several with a cavalry theme. In GA winter tends to be a lot like October in the midwest--in other words, perfect riding weather, often a hoodie is all the jacket needed, but for real cold and blowy days I have a nice Ariat softshell jacket. I generally pack the cell phone in a little camera case kinda thing that I wear around my neck and under one arm where it stays out of the way. I hate getting buttons snagged on the saddle horn so no button shirts when I ride the Western saddle. Blundstones or ariat shoes on my feet. I have half chaps but dont bother with them all the time.

Comment

In warm weather, just jeans and a t-shirt works fine. I have a couple of pairs of Ariat paddock boots, and also my Blundstone #500 boots. The Blundstones are actually my favorite for all-around, but they're a little too wide in the heel for my spurs to fit comfortably and they don't offer much ankle support. Otherwise, they're super-comfortable.

While I was camping at East Fork Stables in Jamestown, TN last week, I bought one of the lightweight, breathable Aussie full-length raincoats for warmer riding weather. It has leg straps like a regular Aussie coat, plenty of room in the back, plus a hood with visor that can be rolled down and secured with a snap if you don't want to use it. Best thing about it is that it can be packed into its own attached pocket for travel, small enough to stuff into a saddle bag or tie to the back of the saddle in case we get caught in a cloudburst while we're out. Oh, and it comes in different colors - mine is yellow, which is great for added visibility if I am riding on or near a road.

In cooler weather I also wear my smooth leather schooling chaps - they're good for added warmth, for keeping my legs dry from splashing mud or rain, and for protecting my jeans from some of the thorn bushes we sometimes ride through. I also have a full-length Australian oilskin coat (which really needs to be re-oiled, now that I think about it) that includes a synthetic wool vest that can be buttoned to the inside for added warmth. Long-sleeved t-shirts or button-down shirts, sometimes a fleece pullover or light jacket for a top; just jeans or old khakis for pants.

For cold weather, I do lots of thin layers with a heavier coat on top. Long underwear is my friend. A couple of years ago I bought a helmet cover that has a fleece neck wrap attached - love it! I also use a full face/head cover and fleece headband. When it comes to boots - whatever is warm and well-insulated, or roomy enough for me to wear one pair of thin socks and one pair of heavier/hiking socks. I'm saving up for a pair of Schees riding boots. A good friend and riding buddy has a pair and says his feet NEVER get cold, even after hours on trail. He and I are among the few from my barn who venture out on trail when the temperatures dip below freezing.
                          Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

I don't have different wardrobes for ring work and trail rides. I wear a T-shirt, breeches, paddock boots and 1/2 chaps. Personally, I like baggy T-shirts since I find breeches to be very unflattering even though they are comfortable for riding. If it's chilly, I put on a fleece top or jacket.

Comment

I love shopping for riding clothes (go ahead roll your eyes). For the bottoms, I do breeches or jeans with paddock boots and half chaps depending on if I have stuff to do around the barn afterwards and don't want to ruin my breeches.
                              For tops, I usually shop at Lands End or Eddie Bauer. I generally buy talls, and I still don't sit on the shirt tails. My favorite cool weather gear is a ribbed turtle neck with a fitted riding vest bought on sale. I never thought about buying blaze orange, but I'm hacking out more these days, so now I'm off to shop for something bright... thanks jnel!
                              ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

In the heat of summer, shorts, tanktop, helmet & tennis shoes (not safe I know)

Warm weater jeans, tanktop or t-shirt, boots, helmet

Hunting season: jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, day glo orange vest & helmet

I can't stand sleeves when it is hot out. If you wear shorts you will dry quickly if you ride to the swimming hole (we swim the horses there too)

Comment

Old regular clothes. In the summer jeans and a ribbed tank top with half chaps and paddock boots. I'm another one who can't stand sleeves when it's hot out!

Fall is the same but with t-shirt and optional sweatshirt.

In the winter lots of LAYERS. I usually switch to my full chaps, too. Silk thermals, turtleneck, scarf, sweatshirt or sweater, down or Carhart vest and LL Bean Barn Coat with thinsulate liner. Sometimes by the time I'm tacked up and ready to ride I'm down to just a turtleneck and vest. Then i don't overheat and I have all those nice warm clothes to pile back on once I stop moving around and start getting cold again!
                                  Doubled Expectations (Roxy, 2001 APHA)
                                  Al Amir (Al, 2005 OTTB)
                                  Ten Purposes (Rosie, 2009 OTTB)

Comment

Wrangler jeans, polo shirt, boots, spurs, always gloves and chinks. It it's cool, a sweatshirt. If it's cold, several layers that can be subtracted as needed. Sometimes I even match, but it's usually unintentional!

Since elk hunting season starts this weekend, I wear either a bright orange sweatshirt or an orange vest, and my horse wears an orange halter under his bridle and an orange tail bag, as well as a bright orange saddle bag.

Comment

While my sister is a NYC fashionista...I am...well...not.

I am 5'9" and have a ridiculously long torso and small waist- which means I am always trying to cover up my mid section when riding.

Greatest two articles of riding clothing for me- under armour in various weights and Eddie Bauer down vests.

The under armour is thin enough to tuck in and not look ridiculous...and you can easily wear a polo over to dress up. I've found men's to have longer arm/torso length for me. Women's would probably fit the average torso better.

The Eddie Bauer vests are PERFECT for a long torso. Small, fitted adjustable waist. I bought 3. I wish I'd bought more...

Deerskin gloves for barn work. Roekl for riding. They are worth it. Really.

Comment

If you are a western rider and ride with a saddle with a horn... PLEASE please make sure you ride in clothing that... if get caught on that horn, will rip, pop open, or zip UP so you can unleash yourself. I personally have had a horse buck and my tight waisted sweatshirt got hooked on the horn and became the very thing that tied me to my horse as he continued to buck and rammed that horn into my tummy. Aweful experience.

Otherwise, I wear riding breaches that are of a jean material and whatever is comfortable and willing to get good and dirty!!!
                                        Kim
                                        The Galloping Grape
                                        Warrenton, VA
                                        http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X