• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Riding without making horse's back sore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding without making horse's back sore

My horse has had a sore back, loin area is showing sensitivity with finger test.

I have had two custom saddles and I am certain it isn't a tack fitting issue. (specialized saddle and now a desoto)

I need to look at myself to see if I am the source of pain for him.

I am a feather/lightweight, and I have been told I do not weigh too much for him. But I can't help but wonder what is wrong. He is a decent size, 15hh and not scrawny.

I post and I try to ride centered, like dressage. Can some experienced people help me with how to ride "endurance" the right way?

When I did a CTR a few years back I did get scored poorly for "deep in the saddle".

The horse has had a few weeks off and I want to start back without being the source of discomfort.

Ordinarily when there's a back problem with a horse I start by checking tack and saddlery but also how the horse is worked and ridden. If I presume you're 200% confident that's o.k. then it sounds like you need a vet to arrange for a good clinical examination and start by ascertaining the root cause.

You might though want to consider starting with a good horse trainer who can work the horse under long reins and observe if there's any obvious signs of discomfort or uneveness about his way of going and then do similar with you on board.

Comment

Ooooh, this is a good question. Not good that your horse is sore, but it's something that everybody needs to spend some time thinking about.

Can you ride with an experienced endurance or CTR rider or two and see if they can pinpoint something for you? Or get some good video of yourself schooling your horse out in a field, then possibly post it here?

I switched to treeless, because I worked with 2 saddle fitters, and probably 10 different saddles, which all supposedly fit "beautifully" and my horse was still crabby, posty legged going down hills, and developed white patches behind the withers. Before treeless, my horse had no trot at all. She wanted to walk, jig, or canter, and gallop was even better. Since treeless, she can trot out like a power house. The tree, no matter how well fit, was impinging her scapula.

I am a HUGE believer in treeless now. I see so many of them at endurance rides and always ask people about them. People always tell me that they feel trees can never be fit "perfectly" to a back, because the back is so dynamic. Constantly flexing, changing, arching, dipping, and twisting with movement.

And another problem with custom fit trees is that the horse can gain or lose 50 lbs here or there with the seasons, or with muscling, and then does the saddle still fit? In my case, it did not. Maybe specialized saddles are different though? I know that they're supposed to be more advanced than a standard tree.

If a good treed saddle is working for a horse and rider, then there's no reason at all to change. Trees aren't "the devil" but I do believe that for certain body types, you will never find a tree that works for that horse for the long haul.

For my particular style of riding, and my horses, I feel I made the best decision possible in switching to treeless. At this point, I'm sure I could never go back. I've ridden a short ride here or there in an Abetta or Aussie, and not only do I feel very uncomfortable, but I can tell a huge difference in the horses. They just don't have that totally un-inhibited, freedom of movement and you never feel like you can effectively communicate with the horse. But that's just "me." Treeless is not for everyone.

Comment

Has your horse been seen by a chiropractor? I ask because with my mare Cricket I started having saddle fit problems, or so I thought, maybe my original saddle wasn't the problem. I do not do long distance riding or endurance, I pleasure trail ride but do some 20 mile rides.

Any how after changing saddles and having a massage therapist come out a few times she told me to have a chiropractor out. Best thing I could have done. I was super leery of chiropractors. Any how he came out, I showed him how my horse would dip if you ran your fingers down her back more toward her hip. He adjusted her pelvis, we ran our fingers down, no more dipping. I cried.
        Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

That's a good point Cashela. Before making saddling changes, it is a good idea to have a thorough lameness exam. But, an exam on my horse showed no soreness, stiffness, or abnormalities at all. Therefore, the saddle fitter further concluded that my tack was fine, since the mare wasn't demonstrating soreness during the exam.

So I guess it's important to explore the possibility that there is still a problem with the tack, even if the lameness exam comes up clean.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have explored the treeless option before. (but with other horses) I had a Torsion, one of the best ones. It always slipped, rolled and made me feel insecure. It just didn't work for us- and I tried!

There are no lameness issues, other than he dips his back when you run fingers down it, and tightens the muscles over the loin.

A vet is seeing him everyday- literally, my husband checks him daily. I am looking into the chiro, but my question still comes back to me. What am I doing wrong?

I don't feel comfortable posting video on here, I don't want to be humiliated and torn apart and made to feel horrible about myself, no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cashela View Post
              Has your horse been seen by a chiropractor? I ask because with my mare Cricket I started having saddle fit problems, or so I thought, maybe my original saddle wasn't the problem. I do not do long distance riding or endurance, I pleasure trail ride but do some 20 mile rides.

Any how after changing saddles and having a massage therapist come out a few times she told me to have a chiropractor out. Best thing I could have done. I was super leery of chiropractors. Any how he came out, I showed him how my horse would dip if you ran your fingers down her back more toward her hip. He adjusted her pelvis, we ran our fingers down, no more dipping. I cried.
              I second this idea. I had the exact same experience with my POA and was also leary of a chiropractor. And I also cried when he left and I took my pony on the trail 15 minutes later and all issues of pain were miraculously gone.

Comment

Every time that I personally have had a problem with sore backs, I think its been the saddle. Desotos are really good though- I love mine!

I would take some riding lessons, dressage or h/j and see what the trainer has to say. Or if you have a friend that is a good rider, ask her to help. Back soreness could be caused by letting your horse travel too strung out, with its head high, back dropped, braced against the hands, etc. Taking dressage lessons could help with that. You dont want your horse to travel collected for distance riding, but so many people let the horse just move terribly- open up any "Endurance News" to see that!

Another thing you could try is get a hold of the book, "Beating Muscle Injuries for Horses" by Meagher. It is a short, simple, old book but it gives some great pressure point therapies that really work. My endurance horse sometimes gets weird in his hind end (not his back per se) but doing those points on him really helps. Its a lot cheaper and easier than paying someone to come in and do it, so worth a try to see if that is the issue.

Comment

Another recommendation for chiro. My horse flinched when you ran a finger next to his spine in the right hip area. I had him adjusted and he was fine no more dipping or flinching.

Comment

Have you tried riding in a "light seat" - something between sitting deep and a two point? Any good H/J trainer can show you how to do this. People often use it on a young horse who hasn't got a lot of strength in his back yet. It will take a little weight off his loins and maybe help the symptoms.

You can try helping him to strengthen his abs, which will support his back better. Run your finger, or something a little more pointed, down the midline of his belly. He should lift up the area just behind the saddle. At first you may not see much lift but eventually he will be able to stretch his back upward like a cat (almost).

Also the chiropractor. My horse loved his chiropractor so much that he would wrap his neck around the chiro and sigh after an adjustment. A good chiropractor can show you how to do therapeutic exercises and stretches for the horse that loosen the muscles.

Comment

Do you take any riding lessons? I took Centered Riding lessons years ago (was an equitation rider in my youth), and now work with a Connected Riding instructor. I had a bucker, and the latter instructor worked with me on both saddle fit and my riding (treeless was not an option with his withers). It didn't stop the bucking (I found out that he was in the habit of throwing jockeys and exercise riders at the track), and he never showed any back soreness when palped, but I'm a much better rider for the continued instruction.

If you can find a good instructor, ask them the question and have them watch you ride. This will help a lot. Until then, perhaps your husband can video you riding so you can see for yourself if there is anything you are doing.

If you do end up suspecting the saddle to be part of the problem, don't discard the idea of treeless based on your experience with one type of saddle. They are all different, have a different feel. Contrary to popular belief, not every treeless model works for every horse and rider. It's a good idea to get trial saddles and ride at least 20 miles to see if that particular model works for you and your horse. I now ride in a Bob Marshall Sport Saddle, which is not comfortable for everybody, but it works well for me and my horses. I've also ridden in several other models and like them to varying degrees.
                      "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

I am a huge believer in body work (massage).

My horse was dipping his back when I saddled him. The saddle fitter had checked the saddle and it fit fine. He showed me how to release tension points in his loin using an accupressure point at the poll. Immediate relaxation and now no more dipping.

Since then I've had my saddle fitter show me several more ways to release tension in various parts of my horse. Generally I video tape him so I can remember exactly what to do.

I have also had very good luck working from a DVD from Jim Masterson on accupressure massage. The segments are very, very clear. My horse loves it and it's really helped with relaxation. I really like the fact that I can do this myself. Since I check my horse daily, I can find areas where he's holding tension and release them before they cause any problems.

Another way that you can prevent soreness is by adding a Thinline pad. I use one when I jump, and when I go for long rides in my treeless saddle. They don't change fit much but they are very good at absorbing shock.

Good luck!
                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Another thing you can check is the length of the saddle. If your horse has a short back and the saddle is too long it can rub at the loin and make the horse sore.

Comment

Check his hocks--referrred back pain is a classic symptom for hock arthritis issues.

Comment

Another thing would be negative plantar angles on the hinds. If your hubby is a vet, he should be able to tell you all about that.

Comment

Another vote for having a good chiropractor check him out. It might not be you. Horses can tweak their backs playing the field, slipping and catching themselves wrong, rolling up against walls, etc. and unless they somehow put themselves right, it won't get better until a chiropractor adjusts it.

If you have him adjusted and get his hocks checked and he still has issues, then you may start flogging yourself, but it seems that you haven't exhausted the other causes, yet.

Comment

The first MFT that I owned had a history of getting a sore loin when ever I did any kind of distance ride on him. I could ride all week on 10 mile rides with no problem. But when I'd show up for a CTR on the week end he would get sore. I tried numerous different saddles and and had some folks who claim to be great at fitting a saddle evaluate my saddle. No obvious problems.

Since I was competiting in CTR, the sore back always lost me points. And I suspected that maybe he was just getting excited at the CTR's because of the crowd of horses and hollowing out his back during the day. So I sold the horse to a friend who did not compete. The horse does well for him on week end trail rides. But still gets sore when we do 20-25 mile ride.

We took him up last Thursday and rode him hunting and packed out 1/2 a moose on him with no problem. But he never went farther than about 10 miles. So it's something to do with the distance. We have just relagated him to a short haul horse or give him a day off between long rides.

Comment

I'll second or third the suggestion for checking out the hocks. Last fall my I was sensing discomfort/tightness in my Arab mare's back while riding - both on the trail and in the arena. My husband is also a vet and kept telling me he didn't really think it was in the back - he did a thorough lameness exam on her and she was sore on the left hock. We x-rayed and she was completely clean on both hocks, but knowing that she has a tendancy to be a goofball in the pasture, we went ahead and injected the hocks anyway. My husband suspected she had just done something to herself in the pasture and had set up a cycle of inflamation. Sure enough, once I started riding her again she was moving free and without the back tightness. And my husband must have been right about the cause because she's done 5 endurance rides this season with no recurrence of the problem, so it was likely just a one time thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Painted Horse View Post
                                      Since I was competiting in CTR, the sore back always lost me points.
                                      They don't pull you from CTRs for a sore backed horse?

Comment

That depends on how sore the horse is. I scribed for the lay judge at a CTR this past weekend. Plenty of horses lost points for sore backs and sore girths, but they were not pulled. None of them were severe enough to warrant a pull.
                                        "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Working...
                                        X