• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How the word "whoa" saved my life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the word "whoa" saved my life

Yesterday, my once crazy gelding and I were riding along across a big grassy field in a nice gallop.... he was doing so well... controlled, galloping along. When I went to squeeze my rein to slow him down a bit, his entire bridle came apart and fell off his head, and slid down his neck (WHILE WE WERE AT A FULL GALLOP). I had lost total control. LUCKILY... I said whoa, and he came to a dead stop, realizing something was wrong. I quietly and quickly got off of him.
    Two years ago, this would have ended as a tragedy.... with a willful gelding that would have totally taken advantage of his rider with no controll.

It was a long walk home... but at least this story didn't end with an out of control horse tossing his rider in the dirt at full speed.

Anyway.... learned two great lessons yesterday... I need to do a better job of checking my tack before I ride - and the word "Whoa" can save your life.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Wow, how terrifying. Very glad you're okay and huge kudos to your boy.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

How exciting is that? So glad you are ok. My daughter had a bosal come off its headstall and dangle under the horse; he was 28 and the time and did not answer to whoa but I was there and headed him off at the pass. Good idea to train for such things (obviously a one-rein stop is useless here!)

Comment

Oh my, that is scary! So glad to hear that your horse responded so well and all ended safely. Geeze, your story gave me the willies. I've broken a rein while cantering and that was terrifying enough. To have the whole bridle come off.......I cannot even imagine that. If the horse hadn't have stopped, what would you have done? I think I'd be reaching up and getting my hand on their nose, or ear or something. Good thing about riding Arabs is the short neck and easy reach. If you were on a WB or TB or something big, boy I don't know.

Comment

Wonderful boy!! Did you tell him thank you?
          You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

• Original Poster

I dont know what I would have done if he wouldn't have stopped! His neck is too long for me to grab his nose. I guess I may have just hung on and prayed for him to get tired! I'm too afraid to think about it... but I do know that I'll be continuing to get that "whoa" down pat!! It was terrifying for sure. I've been thanking him and hugging him and kissing him and thanking and thanking over and over. When we got home, he got a hot bath, head to toe massage and an apple covered dinner.....
            Kim
            The Galloping Grape
            Warrenton, VA

Comment

In the 1800's the arabs would use their cloke and cover his eyes. They had loose clothing so they just swept some of it over the eyes and the horse would come to a stop.
              Besides whoa I often use BACK to stop the horse quickly.

This Whoa is something that should be reguarly practiced. On every ride I try it once or twice. Jogging along and suddenly sit down, sit back and say HO and the horse should stop, if not use the reins to enforce.
              If I want a faster, harder stop I sit back and say BACK and I expect the hind end to drop, slide slightly and then start backing.
              Last edited by Shadow14; May. 26, 2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

I do alot of schooling on my trail rides, and stopping is one of them.. thank goodness... and believe me, I'll be doubling the practice on that whoa!
                Kim
                The Galloping Grape
                Warrenton, VA

Comment

That's so good to hear! About the whoa, not the bridle! My mare has a great whoa from voice in the ring, even at the canter, but it doesn't always work as well out on the trail - something to keep practicing!

Comment

You know, that reinforces my thoughts about training via voice commands as well as body cues.

I had heard differing theories on them, but Jake has always done really well with voice commands. I am not the best rider, and I am certain my voice is more consistent than my body!

So I am going to continue doing them, and maybe even step it up a little!

Comment

Boy that is scary. I am *pretty* good about whoa training off seat and body alone but still- when that gear leaves their face out there in the open- wide open- at a gallop no less-aye aye aye! Just that loss of confidence in what's happening! EEEEEE

Comment

Glad you are OK. When I got my present horse I knew nothing about his background.
                        I re-inforced whoa with a carrot bite while handwalking him. Then the same under saddle. Since we "only" trailride it does not matter - ie no "unexpecteds" like for arena training. Pretty much if I say whoa he stops and turns his head to look for his treat.
                        Also my first rides with him on the trails, alone, and away from the barn - I selected a place at the end of the woods to be our stopping point at the end of the ride - not sure if he would be one to want to gallop back to the barn - where he would get a treat. Every time we would get to that spot on our way home - he would automatically stop and turn his head and whinny for his treat. Alas, we lost those trails. Your post has reminded me to not be lax with this as I have been.

Comment

Glad to hear you're okay!

"Whoa" is my favorite word ever. (Well, I use "whoooa" as an "easy" and "HO!" as a "PLANT 'EM!", but you get the idea.) When I was breaking and training horses it was the first thing I taught them, and I would not get on until they could stick their feet in the ground with a word.

This winter a big (17+hh) goofy 3y/o where I was working somehow managed to get a garbage bag in his stall. We think it got baled in with the hay. Anyway, he got it stuck in his mouth and started thrashing and spinning in his stall, which was a double-wide and easily big enough for him to get up to speed and hurt himself. I heard the commotion, ran over and yelled "WHOA!" He planted his feet and stood, snorting and quivering, until I came into his stall to "rescue" him. I was thankful for the few days I had spent working with him in-hand on how to lead and stop politely, because before that it was only an optional part of his vocabulary.

Teaching to stop from the seat is great, and my charges can all do that pretty well, but it's hard to engage those muscles if you're ever, say, hanging off the side of the neck. "Whoa" is definitely a life-saver.
                          Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
                          They're not just for racing!
                          nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

Comment

One of my friends was laughing this week. She has inadvertently trained her horses to have two different words for stop. Her horses of course know the word whoa and do it properly. However, she often says Errrrrr (like the sound of screeching tires) when she has to stop suddenly, like if she gets cut off by a dog underfoot or another rider. Now her horses have all learned that "whoa" means "stop gracefully" and "Errrrrr" means "lock 'em up with no questions asked."

Comment

Originally posted by carp View Post
                              One of my friends was laughing this week. She has inadvertently trained her horses to have two different words for stop. Her horses of course know the word whoa and do it properly. However, she often says Errrrrr (like the sound of screeching tires) when she has to stop suddenly, like if she gets cut off by a dog underfoot or another rider. Now her horses have all learned that "whoa" means "stop gracefully" and "Errrrrr" means "lock 'em up with no questions asked."
                              I posted on this earlier but I use the word BACK when I want a sliding stop. A back and a hard stop are the same actions. If your horse has a good back you can use it while travelling forward, yell back and the horse drops his butt, digs in and starts backing. I get a slide on the hind end and then the horse starts flowing backwards. It makes for a nice hard stop using something they already know.

Comment

Holy mackerel! So thankful that he stopped....and a reminder that it is always good to be a friend and be trusted by your horse, in addition to learning whatever vocabulary we need them to learn. I had a gelding who was just plain my friend and he made life so much easier, he taught me that he would step over sideways to let me mount no matter what which he would not be at first because he used to be absolutely terrified of anyone standing over his head. He allowed my arthritis body to get up on him from a tailgate which gave me great joy.
                                Thanks for the reminder of good times!
                                "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Originally posted by carp View Post
                                  That's hilarious! Sounds like one of my dogs - no clue why but we refer to him as "tuna fish." The other night I asked my husband - "Where's the tuna?" So the dog jumps up and comes running from the other room! That's the first we'd seem him respond to tuna. Whoops!

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow14 View Post
                                    I posted on this earlier but I use the word BACK when I want a sliding stop. A back and a hard stop are the same actions. If your horse has a good back you can use it while travelling forward, yell back and the horse drops his butt, digs in and starts backing. I get a slide on the hind end and then the horse starts flowing backwards. It makes for a nice hard stop using something they already know.
                                    Whatever works for you. I can throw my ex-reiner into reverse just like you say. Then he steps backwards onto the damn dog, and all sorts of shrieking results. I find saying whoa when I want whoa is much less complicated. I may ask for a back afterwards, and indeed I do frequently enough that he is in the habit of dropping his butt in preparation, but they are two separate commands.

Comment

Wow, scary story!! Good on you for training your horse so well! I should really do that- my horse is great with voice cues but I have yet to install the "whoa" one- when in reality, that probably should have come first!

Comment

GallopingGrape, I am glad to hear you are OK. That must have been very scary. A good whoa is so important.

I found that out when I was riding my somewhat green gelding on a limited distance ride. We were going through a narrow gate next to a gun range, people were shooting like crazy, a car drove right up behind us, and the person in front of me took off galloping - all at the same time. My poor gelding lost his mind, got behind the bit, ignored me, and started to freak out. Well, I am a high school teacher and have trained dogs, and I just instinctively yelled STOP very loudly in my best teacher voice. I had not trained this horse originally, and I had never used that command with him before. He stopped dead in his tracks and started listening to me again. It was amazing, and we avoided a huge crash.

Another time we were going down a VERY steep, long, rocky hill. I prefer a single rein rather than split reins. Well, my horse stumbled slightly on the downhill. The bobble caused me to accidently drop the reins, which popped right over his head and hung down in front of him. He immediately picked up speed and started cantering down this very steep hill, with the reins hanging in front of him. There was no way I could reach forward for his bridle, so I yelled STOP very loudly, and he immediately stopped dead. God bless whoever gave him his initial training, as he still remembers it! It has saved my life twice.

I have actually gotten in the habit of using a very soft whoa to tell my gelding to slow down because bad footing is approaching. We usually don't change gaits, just speed. He is very responsive to voice commands.

Comment

Working...
                                        X