• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

So... Why Buy an Endurance Saddle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... Why Buy an Endurance Saddle?

I asked this in the eventing forum and it was suggested that I ask here. What is the difference between an endurance saddle and say a good general purpose english saddle or eventing saddle? Why invest in an endurance saddle? Is it easier to sit in? More ...?

Excuse my ignorance. I can give you the reasons for wearing basketball shoes instead of tennis shoes even if you are playing tennis but I can't speak to saddles.

Typically the endurance saddles are designed to distribute the rider's weight over a broad surface for longer rides. So, they combine the weight distribution of a western saddle (larger weight bearing surface) with a lighter weight design.

"Endurance" saddles come in a lot of different flavors - some look almost like a western saddle with the horn removed, while others look like a standard english A/P saddle with a bit more padding.

There are a lot of choices, depending on your riding style and preference, but the one thing they all have in common is the ability to keep the horse comfortable over a long distance. You will see some people ride endurance in an A/P or dressage saddle, but it's more typical to see saddles that are designed specifically for the job.

You may want to look at it like the difference between a jumping and dressage saddle - you can certaintly ride a dressage test in a jumping saddle, and jump in a dressage saddle, but you (and the horse) will probably be a lot more comfortable in something that's made for the activity.

Comment

I havent the foggiest, but i own one for trail riding
      I got one of the big horn endurance models that are flocked with memory foam, and a memory foam seat. It's got the right balance and twist to now screw up my equitation like the western saddles i sat in, so it came home with me.
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

usually a bit more squish to the seat, bigger panels underneath to disperse the riders weight, lots of D rings to hang your stuff off of, tough D rings sewn into tree for breastcollar that will be USED going up mountain trails, different rigging options for cinches/girths--centerfire, wider buckles, ability to change girth positions, most have very balanced stirrup positions--dressage placings for correct body alignment and easy posting, many have adjustable stirrup bar settings. If english type, the leathers tend to be a little wider, sometimes synthetic, and of course most endurance riders use EZ Ride padded stirrups--tapaderos and caged stirrups are very popular for safety reasons since a lot of endurance riders ride in tennis shoes so they can get off and run easily. Many endurance saddles are adjustable--either through flexible panels, velcro panels underneath that you can change through shimming, treeless, stuffed to the individual horse shape, changing gullets--and boy, we haven't even got to all the pad options yet! Very specialized sport with lots of individuality
        Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
        http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

Comment

Weight meant alot to me. At 193 pounds and an arab the 11 pound endurance saddle was great. It has a comfortable seat and nice big stirrups.

Comment

A good saddle effectively distributes weight and provides a secure seat appropriate to use. "Secure" in this context also means both a stable platform to sit on and one reasonably comfortable for the human.

The "moniker" one puts on a saddle may or may not have anything to do with it's intended use. There's as much "hype" in saddle marketing as there is in selling cars or cosmetics. Maybe more!!!!!

There clearly are different types of saddles. Historically the differences flowed from type of intended use. Consider that a cowboy roping ladino steers in Texas had a different use from the pony express rider who had a different use from the cavalry trooper who had a different use from the foxhunter who had a different use from the circuit riding preacher. Each needed a secure seat and effective weight distribution. Each rode a different design that met those needs.

Note that there can be overlap in saddle designs.

So look first at the function of the saddle, then how the form expresses that function. Then the "nameplate." This approach can save you some real money.

G.

P.S. It can save your horse's back, too.
            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I've found most of the english-style endurance saddles to be similar to a VSD style all purpose saddle; when you spend hours in the saddle, you tend to ride with a longer leg to avoid a lot of ankle/knee problems, so a jumping saddle isn't always ideal. The balance is typical of a dressage saddle, but as others have saddles, the panels might be configured slightly differently to improve weight distribution and there are of course more d-rings. The big difference is those d-rings; not just the number of rings, but that the are really securely on the saddle.

However, there are many endurance riders who just ride in standard English saddles - I see a ton of the Wintec dressage and AP models out there. The key is a saddle that fits the horse really well, and you are better off with a well-fitting "non-endurance" saddle than a marginally fitting endurance saddle.

The following saddle makers all make an English style endurance saddle. You may want to check out their websites so you can get an idea of what these saddles look like:
              Black County
              Frank Baines
              Smith Worthington (I have one of these)
              Duett
              Arabian Saddle Company
              Reactor Panel

I'm sure there are many others - maybe someone else can add to the list?

Comment

Endurance saddles are designed to be light weight, they distribute the rider's weight over a wider area, and they are usually outfitted with plenty of rings to tie stuff onto, like breastcollar, crupper, and saddle packs. They are designed so that the rider can get up out of the seat easily to two-point and post but yet sit comfortably for periods of time also. Endurance horses are under tack for many hours and many miles - not just a 40 minute workout session in a flat indoor arena. When you're ascending and descending steep elevation, the tree can jam into the horse's loins, or scapula and withers so the correct fit and balance is absolutely crucial.

I ride in a Bob Marshall treeless and LOVE IT. I never thought I'd love the saddle as much as I do, but it is heavenly - for me and the for the horse.

Comment

I also find that for distance riding I want a saddle that helps keep me secure even when I'm fatigued. This is why I originally switched to an endurance model, because of a problem in my hip that allows my leg to swing after the first few miles if it doesn't have help. The western-style endurance saddle (Abetta) I first got was great for supporting the weak leg and hip because of the wide fender (I turned the stirrups to prevent knee pain). And the seat is great for hills--takes less effort to stay in it during the surges you get when going uphill. This doesn't mean much in the first few miles, but toward the end of the ride, it is nice to have help from the saddle.

Now I ride in a Bob Marshall treeless endurance saddle. Again, it looks a bit western, with swells and a deep cantle (no horn). The stirrups attach low on the skirt, which helps distribute the pressure for those of us who ride heavy in the stirrups.

This is another problem with some non-distance saddles: lack of distribution of stirrup pressure. Some of us ride two-point a lot, or at least ride heavy in the stirrups. Some endurance saddles are designed to spread out the pressure from the stirrups, either by splitting the leathers or attaching them low. This is an important consideration for your horse's back comfort when choosing a saddle. It isn't an issue for every rider, but it was for me.

I agree with G, in that it is more important to have a saddle that fits your horse well than it is to get a specific model for a specific use. Endurance riders are in the saddle for hours, so any small discomfort becomes magnified, which can lead to swelling and sometimes lameness. I've seen plenty of short-strided horses at the end of an endurance ride who cringe when the vet even runs his hands across the back. That's sad. After fit comes rider comfort. Then you look at each model, test ride, and see what works best for you and will still be comfortable after 5 or so hours of riding uneven trails and hills. Plus, it helps to have numerous sturdy rings to hang your gear. Breastplate and crupper attachments are a real plus, too.
                  "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

The use of "extra help" in keeping a saddle in place is sometimes not well considered.

A crupper, breast collar, and even a surcingle might be very welcome additions to the tack lineup. "Tack Nazis" generally demand "tack minimalism" by pointing out that a well fitted saddle really needs nothing else. While this may be theoretically true for a horse standing in one spot (or making a few turns around an arena) when several miles are to be covered you want to give the horse as much comfort as possible. On a long ride a horse can drop several pounds and this might (note the conditional) upset the fit equation. Adding the crupper and breast collar may well be a Very Good Thing to provide additional stability over time.

A shifting saddle will also upset the horse's equilibrium as well as annoy the rider, requiring the expenditure of energy to maintain balance.

I don't like to use more leather and iron than I need to accomplish my goals, but I'll use that which is necessary and convienient.

G.
                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                      The use of "extra help" in keeping a saddle in place is sometimes not well considered.

A crupper, breast collar, and even a surcingle might be very welcome additions to the tack lineup. "Tack Nazis" generally demand "tack minimalism" by pointing out that a well fitted saddle really needs nothing else. While this may be theoretically true for a horse standing in one spot (or making a few turns around an arena) when several miles are to be covered you want to give the horse as much comfort as possible. On a long ride a horse can drop several pounds and this might (note the conditional) upset the fit equation. Adding the crupper and breast collar may well be a Very Good Thing to provide additional stability over time.

A shifting saddle will also upset the horse's equilibrium as well as annoy the rider, requiring the expenditure of energy to maintain balance.

I don't like to use more leather and iron than I need to accomplish my goals, but I'll use that which is necessary and convienient.

G.
                      good point... =) our standard was breastcollar, saddle/girth, crupper. Thats is for training etc etc.

I moved to Southern/Central Jersey where is predominately flat. Breastcollars are a fashion item..

I pulled out my cav saddle... and its extra leathers which never come off and they went... what. the. hell. is that.

so they call it his thong now. lol they had never seen or heard of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Icecapade View Post

so they call it his thong now.
                        That is hilarious!!

I like to ride with a fairly loose girth so the endurance styled breastcollar really helps with that. Also a wool saddle pad, which is much more non-slip than synthetic materials.

Maty - do you use a back girth on you BM?

Comment

No. I ride with a breastplate and crupper on the Arab, adjusted to allow minimal forward or backward slippage. For the OTTB with great withers, no crupper is needed, but a breastplate is handy. So far his pendulous belly has kept the saddle from slipping back, but that won't last long.

I don't use the breastplate and crupper during riding lessons. The lady is a bit of a purist. My philosophy is "begin how you mean to continue," so I started the Arab using the breastplate and crupper. With her figure, she needs both.

For some reason, those back girths always make me think the horse will buck. I've ridden enough bucks to last a life time. I got a kick out a a couple of ladies last week when going to Fair Hill. Their western saddle with all of the rigging was so heavy it took two of them to swing it onto the horse. My BMSS is soooo much lighter. And biothane tack is practically weightless. Bright, too.
                          "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Originally posted by matryoshka View Post

For some reason, those back girths always make me think the horse will buck. I've ridden enough bucks to last a life time. I got a kick out a a couple of ladies last week when going to Fair Hill. Their western saddle with all of the rigging was so heavy it took two of them to swing it onto the horse. My BMSS is soooo much lighter. And biothane tack is practically weightless. Bright, too.

lol the gelding I used to race was orginially ridden in a dude saddle.. .and it was HEAVY... at the time I was a waife... and I never got down to walk... the saddle was way heavier than me it seemed... figured it'd be easier to strip the saddle than get off. poor horse.

that changed when we started seriously competing fortunately for the both of us.

Those rear cinches are almost constantly in this day and age way to low... there is 0 reason for it to hang with a big gap... its to hold the saddle, like the front girth... maybe not to the same degree but yeah... currantly that trend is a dangerous one.

Comment

Working...
                            X