• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help!- HiPo charging home...in circles!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!- HiPo charging home...in circles!

Hello all,

I have a new Highland Pony for 5 months. I went on a long trail ride today with an experienced rider on Dougal. She is helping bombproof him for me and giving me confidence to know how he goes on the trails. He was perfect until the last 10 minutes. My connie cross mare, I ride, got spooked but was manageable but it set MacDougal into a mindset to rush home. Rider did the one rein pulley to stop him but Dougal kept trotting home in circles! Another horse went by and while circling home- he even whinnied at him! We were laughing because it looked so funny but believe me I would have been in panic mode if it was me aboard .Rider dismounted and walked him home in hand. He was still prancy and finally settled last block home. It was lunch time and maybe he was rushing home to that? I want this guy to be a safe quiet pleasure pony on trails for myself or a guest pony.Most of the time he is very docile unflappable but when he makes his mind up to go somewhere else or head home , I'm baffled because he is a strong boy. These ponies are built like little drafts. Any suggestions?

I am curious what a Connie cross mare is????

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow14 View Post
      I am curious what a Connie cross mare is????
      I imagine she means a connamara cross. Not sure I'm spelling it right but you know what I mean.
      You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

Just a suggestion, but here's what I would do.

Go on short walks just around the yard and WALK back to the barn. Gradually keep getting farther away until he doesn't stress out so much, and don't keep going on the same route.

It was a good decision for the rider to get off and walk him, that is exactly what I would have done.

One thing I never do is go faster towards home. It is fun to gallop home- but it won't be fun if he ever decides to do that on his own. (Ask me how I know... )
        Visit My Craft Blog!

http://www.sarasdailycrafts.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Villager View Post
          Hello all,

Rider did the one rein pulley to stop him but Dougal kept trotting home in circles! Another horse went by and while circling home- he even whinnied at him!
          What did the rider do after the one rein pulley stop? Do you mean a one rein stop? If so, he should have stopped, and if he were my horse I would have marched his butt backwards a good 100 yards! Then try walking toward the barn...if he broke gait, ORS again and back another 100 yards we go! If he was trotting back toward the barn in circles, I call that "hauling me back to the barn" and by getting off she just told him, "Great - you act up - you get to stop - I get off and we still go back to the barn." My horse used to haul me back to the barn when I TRIED to even leave the barn to go on a trail ride. He was barn sour and a bit of a bully and he would do these little "pirouettes" where he would turn around and try to circle me back to the barn. We had to train through it and I had to make the wrong thing difficult and the right thing easy.

In this case, as soon as he breaks gait or changes direction on the trail, I would ORS and work his feet - either sideways or backwards - or have him trot in circles around a tree at your request (not trot circles back to the barn) or yield his HQ about 10 times around until he got the point that we walk nicely when I ask or we do more work. I would train through it before it gets worse and he is bolting all the way home.

Comment

• Original Poster

Tpup- yes I do mean one rein stop. but he didn't stop, he just started going round and round but moving in the direction of the barn. We were walking home and my mare got startled which acted as a catalyst to get him all 'up'. Being very green , he does not back up well when ridden and he is too hard to stop when he has made his mind up he is going somewhere. . He was stressed and worried-not the most confident soul.He came from a secluded ranch and not use to our urban parks.
            I have done some NH with him and obviously need to do more to work on back up, yielding from the ground and then try and transfer it to the ride. My dressage teacher told me to get ground work from and NH instructor to work on his stopping and backing and I was wasting my money with dressage schooling until the ground work was done. does that sound right?

He has very seldom gone on trails(5x) since I've owned him so 'rushing home' isn't a habit he has been allowed to do.

Comment

I agree with TPUP. There was no way I would have gotten off and walked him home nor let him away with circling constantly in the direction of home. I don't know how strong your other rider was so I shouldn't judge but I would have settled it right then and there by making him do as I wanted.
              Getting off and walking home is just reinforcing negative training
              Backing up should be something he learned right off the batt. I teach it about the second week. If you can't stop him and he just runs through the bit maybe the bit is not the right one.
              To say he needs more ground work is certainly something I don't agree with. Do it from the back. YOu need a stronger rider.
              Somehow I thought you were local??? The connie cross made me think that.

Comment

If his rider had well and truly put his nose to her knee and held it firm, I don't think he'd have gotten home not before he got dizzy and stopped. At which point he gets a rub and a chuckle, and asked to walk on some more. He got scared, that's all.

Glad everyone made it there safe, but he wasn't folded in half enough to stop him, was he? If she was able to dismount, he slowed down somewhere in his spinning. But putting his nose FIRMLY to her knee? I don't think he was there.

ground- I want him to know to follow his nose. If my energy says just stand and give me your nose, he must know that before I step up. If my energy says circle me and give me your nose, then he should do that.

There are many ways to do this. A stronger, more capable rider might not want to fool with the ground work so much. Me, I have a bull necked baby here that must learn from the ground to follow his nose, before I'll ride him. He's very stout and thick, and it's easier to teach that sort safely from the ground.

Comment

If you (or other rider) is going to try the ORS, at least the way I've learned it, you have to feel when he releases his resistance and reward that. Do check that he understands it on the ground or in an arena before you try it on a trail ride. You should reach up, pull the head around to your knee, he may circle for a moment or two, and then there is a moment when he releases his neck slightly and pauses his feet, and you drop the rein and pet him. By doing that over and over in the ring first, he learns that the ORS means to stop, because you reward the stopping. Then it becomes an automatic habit for him to respond to it that way.

It's not simply a way to overpower the horse and force him to stop - some horses can practically run with their heads bent around. You have to school him in what it means by practicing it and rewarding the correct response or it will not be terribly effective in an emergency situation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Tpup & Shadow 14-I am just a nervous re-rider and my rider friend is braver.& much younger but I thought the best and safest possible thing to do would be to dismount and walk quietly home. (My friend felt a little unsafe and not able to stop too). So we called it a day and hope to rehearse in the ring what we will apply if it happens again. I think we have to pick our battles and I'm not sure my friend would have been successful and I certainly wouldn't have.good to hear what more experienced riders would do though.

Shadow 14- out here, breeders & owners often refer to connemaras as 'connies'-a term of endearment I guess.

TFP- yes you're right the one rein stop was not properly carried out. Pony's head too high up, he didn't drop his nose to bring to her knee so he wouldn't stop. Will talk to my NH neighbor and work it out.

Comment

agreed the ORS was not performed properly... it is called a stop

once pony has reached a point where he is no longer in panic/flight mode... and logic is starting to come back... and usually panic in that situation doesn't last long at all. (yes I know a horse can be panicked much longer)

so once he stops and releases a little... then you take him back out anywhere, calmly. it doesn't to be far, it just enough to reestablish going home isn't always 'home' right away. =)

good luck with him!

Comment

A lot of people think that "take his nose to the knee" means just get a bend in the neck to where he's looking around. But what it really means is that his nose should be right on your knee or foot! At that point, there is not much that a horse can do. If he repeats the behavior, nose goes back to the knee. Until behavior stops.

Comment

Villager I can really feel for you. I have had horse that scare me too, keeps me awake nights thinking I have got to do something with them. If you feel the horse is stronger then you then you will always feel a measure of fear.

I also don't believe in the one rein stop. Cranking the head around to my knee in a panic situation is just asking to trip the horse. What if the horse is running and you pull the head around to your knee and the horse continues to run???? I also beleive in certain situations that his training is forgotten and he just runs.

I have had horses like this. Ones that run right through my side pulls, right through my snaffle as if I had nothing in his mouth but there reaches a point where he can not run through everything.

If I was you I would fight this battle alone and if you do and concour it, he will no longer frighten you. You spend alot of money on him and he is expected to give you pleasure, not fear.

And I know everyone will jump all over me for this but I don't care and I have been there.
                          Buy or borrow the biggest western bit you can find. One with long shanks, even a port if you must and a good curb chain and strong reins. Someone must have a big bit around, borrow it and save yourself alot of grief. Who cares if you hurt the horse when he runs for home or misbehaves. His life is about obeying.
                          Use the bit, ride with gentle hands but if he runs/misbehaves use it severely. If he runs for home lean back, put everything you have into the reins using your back and legs. Too bad if you hurt him. He will learn not to disobey.
                          I ride in a light snaffle and can do the same thing with it just because I am strong and have technic.

NO one should force themselves to ride a horse, it is all about pleasure and again ride with soft soft hands until the time comes to NOT be soft and then throw everything you have into it.

I had a horse 2 years ago, Shadow. He was smart, knew how to buck and knew how to play the game. I put hundreds of miles on him and he never quit running away, bucking or gave in. He would act mellow and mild and then maybe hours later he would explode when you least expected it.
                          Finally after a few bad accidents , took 3 fences out one day, another ran into a road sign and dumped both of use on a busy highway and he got 17 stitches I decided enough is enough. I wasn't sleeping right worrying about what to do. I wanted to be gentle, not rough him up at all but finally it was either send him away to a really rough trainer or put the big bit in his mouth and forget being soft and end it one way or the other
                          Click on the link and then on Shadow.
                          This is the final fight, it ended right here. The lung line was just to make sure I had a good hold before turning him loose. I wore NO SPURS, NOR CARRIED A WHIP. It was just him and I and a big bit. The fight ended right here, what you see was the end.
                          After a few great weeks the big bit came out and I rode him for the rest of his life is a mild training bit and he never fought me again.
                          http://norval.ezworld.org/
                          Last edited by Shadow14; Feb. 2, 2009, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow14 View Post
                            And I know everyone will jump all over me for this but I don't care and I have been there.
                            Buy or borrow the biggest western bit you can find. One with long shanks, even a port if you must and a good curb chain and strong reins. Someone must have a big bit around, borrow it and save yourself alot of grief. Who cares if you hurt the horse when he runs for home or misbehaves. His life is about obeying.
                            Use the bit, ride with gentle hands but if he runs/misbehaves use it severely. If he runs for home lean back, put everything you have into the reins using your back and legs. Too bad if you hurt him. He will learn not to disobey.
                            I ride in a light snaffle and can do the same thing with it just because I am strong and have technic.
                            oh boy.... meep meep... trainwreck!

my only qualm with this is that you can much more easily cause the horse to go backwards.... personally I'd rather have my horse fall down from spinning or run a shoulder into the ground then go backwards... or the fear of having the biggest nastest bit and it do nothing.

and a big ported big won't solve the situation... you can yank all you want on it but if they don't want to stop, they won't.

I understand what you are saying... but I don't think its really the answer- and yes you probably will get jumped on...

I had a mustang that would do the same thing, reliable reliable reliable boom nothing upstairs, almost killed my mom. so I know exactly what you are talking about. and thats all I got on that!

Comment

Changing his bit will not change his mind.

The ORS needs to be practiced in the ring first, at all 3 gaits. Yes, I CAN stop my horse with a ORS at a canter because I have practiced it over and over. And the point of the ORS is to do it BEFORE things get out of control. You "shut him/her down" with the first stride or two. That's why it needs to be practiced - in your muscle memory, and his. My horse has never tried to run at a ORS because he simply can't. It's not just pulling their head around. It's also disengaging their hindquarters. And the point after the ORS is to put that horse to work fast - hustle his feet - so he realizes that doing the WRONG thing means hard work, or walking backwards 200 yards, or side passing back and forth, or trotting in small circles until he is tired. His reward is walking to the barn nicely. ORS'ing over and over is pointless unless you are teaching your horse something with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecapade View Post
                                oh boy.... meep meep... trainwreck!

my only qualm with this is that you can much more easily cause the horse to go backwards.... so I know exactly what you are talking about. and thats all I got on that!

I've rode 2 real train wrecks in my life. Both horses belong to someone else and I was asked to help. The first time this happened a little horse would just take off running and run until a fence stopped her, she asked a strong male rider to give her a try and she took him on a scary run and he could do nothing. I was then asked to try. I went to work and added a big port to an already big western bit, strong reins and put it in Porcha's mouth, got on with my western saddle , took her into a big field and encouraged a flat out run. Once she settled into it I yelled HO and hit her with everything I had. I brought he almost sliding to a stop. I repointed he in a new direction, encouraged a flat out run and then yelled HO and hit her again, again an almost sliding stop. The 3rd time I yelled HO to a flat out run I didn't toucher her, just leaned back and she slammed on again. Lesson over, priased her and walked her home to Sandy. Told Sandy to go for an easy ride. Treat her right, soft hands and she will be ok.. She never ran away again.
                                Did that to another horse Beauty. By the 3 rd stop I didn't touch her. Yes she stood and trembled but never ever did that mare run away again. I actually went to a rental stable and saw Beauty there and asked how she was doing. There only compaint was she had too good of a stop.

I don't say you pull the horse over backwards. If he is charging for home and you hit him hard, really hard and when he stops immediatly give him slack and will not go over backwards but you want him to know that running will result in pain and being good is rewarded by not hurting him.

Remember horses are for fun, if you loose sleep being afraid it is not fun , so why have them??? They are money pits, heart aches. You need to feel in control. You Icecapade know about feeling in control

Shadow in the videio felt the bit for the first time in that video and when he was turned loose he didn't fight it, never tried running away again.
                                Soft hands, bit bit makes a good horse. Churchill would agree with this.

One of his favourite expressions was " Walk softly and carry a big stick"

Comment

Somewhere there is a horse that changing the bit would make a difference. Somewhere there is a horse that putting a severe bit on would make it act worse. Somewhere there is a horse that would hurt you if you start hauling them around on a severe bit, maybe coming down or backwards on you.
                                  True story and not my finest hour. Bought a beautiful gelding out of the stock yard. The guy didn't want to sell him to me and when I insisted he told me not to blame him when the gelding killed me. He also handed me a walking horse bit, high port and the longest shanks I've ever seen. THAT was this horse's bit. This horse was a runaway and you couldn't turn him, you couldn't stop him..nothing until he was ready to stop. This was in my younger days and I really was pretty strong. I tried the mild bits and even tried the bit he'd come with and there was no doing anything with this horse. He scared me to death but I wasn't about to give up. He'd bow that neck and there it stayed and away he went. One day (not real proud of this) he'd scared a couple more years off my life and I'd had it. I actually felt like I hated that horse. I snapped a lunge line on him and told him to go right ahead and run.
                                  He did but after a while he wanted to stop. I wouldn't let him. He try to stop and I'd drive him on. Finally I told him to whoa and he stopped dead. Stood with his head hanging.
                                  After that I fox hunted and trail rode this horse in a soft rubber bar and all I had to do was to indicate that I wanted him to stop and he did. This worked for This horse but might not for another. I still feel bad that I so totally lost it but guess in the end it was a good thing cause this boy was running his way right into a dog food can.
                                  Anyhooo the point of this long sad story is that a lot of times the whoa is not in the mouth but in the head. MHO
                                  You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

lol PJ it happens. my stallion did that to me... we were probably 15 miles into a training ride and he wouldn't stop screaming at this mare with us. I was in tears and had already told my dad I was calling the vet as soon as I got home to have my normally placid stallion cut immediately. He was TERRIBLE, I thought I was going to lose my mind, I was young angry embrassed and in tears.... I loved him and had no idea why he was completely losing it, to the point of endangering himself on the mountain.

and I had enough... I told my dad I'd see them when I got back... and I ran his punk ass up a hill... as hard as I could. and then down. and then made him do his massive 6 foot extended trot almost the whole 4 miles home.

he was beat... and I said if you can scream you can run....

now little known to me the neighbors mare had been coming over daily to tease him.

Talk about an ass clown. We don't much have issue with it, but sometimes, thats what it takes... in that case it really wouldn't have fixed it... but also it didn't hurt him...

not my finest moment either. if you ride long enough... it happens inevitably- its probably the best thing you could have done for that horse!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions..and anecdotes....

and NOW- I am really going to work on the One Rein Stop in the ring at the riding club until I have mastered it for walk/trot/canter.I will also get my NH trainer to start helping with putting all the groundwork into practice now 'on board' the pony.I'm looking forward to that part of NH where I can use what I learned on the ground for riding!

My pony is not wild or crazy-for the 98% of the time he is a very sweet natured, quiet 'dolt' and very mellow-Hence why I bought into the breed and this guy in particular.He has only been in this busy noisy environment for 5 months and taken to it quite well, I think considering the peace and quiet of the large ranch he came from.

But for that 2% time when he gets nervous or startled and wants to run away from it, then I need that special stop. I'll forgo the trails on him until I feel in control. In the meantime, would you recommend I find a good experienced trail rider to take him weekly up trails so he gets broken in for me(as well as use to our urban trails)

Comment

PJ wrote: Anyhooo the point of this long sad story is that a lot of times the whoa is not in the mouth but in the head. MHO

it's always in the head. A greenie who knows "whoa" can stop without reins or bit. A seasoned horse who does not know "whoa" will not always stop just because they have a bit and reins. Bit and reins are management and management alone will always fail sooner or later. Training holds because it becomes part of the conditioned response. A simple conditioned response will often be a thoughtless, knee jerk reaction that will happen even in trying circumstances if it is ingrained well enough, much like stopping at a red light and going on green. Sometimes installing that conditioned response takes time and once in awhile it takes some real riding but in this case, I believe time will be enough as the horse is not mindlessly bolting but instead simply anxious to get home. His thinking is still intact.

Shadow 14 may be able to do what s/he does, the OP won't be able to. I would skip the chance of serious injury to horse and/or rider and go with installing a conditioned response first.

Comment

Working...
                                        X