• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How much trust do you put into your horse's decisions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the most part, I pick speed and direction and let my Arab figure out where exactly to put his feet. At this point. The first baby year/training rides? Absolutely forget it. He got told EXACTLY where to put his feet.

Now he's realized things like collecting to go up and down hills works way better than being all strung out and flailing around. He does often choose to jump muddy spots rather than go through them, especially if we are trotting or cantering. At 8, he's finally got that mountain goat sure footedness a trail horse needs to have. He's also got the trail miles and experience to back up strongly not wanting to go down a trail.

He does occasionally balk at scarier things, but will sigh and go over/through/around/past them when asked. His balk there is a much different balk than when he thinks something is wrong up ahead. I do, for the most part, listen to him and take into account his opinion when that happens because it isn't terribly often and he's usually been right.

Comment

For my trail and endurance horses when I start to ride them I tell them / guide them to where they should go on the trail and how the trail should be handled. Then over time they learn to make good decisions on trail footing. But I am always there to have the final say, I do not just toss away the reins and let them pick their way. I see things they may not know what will happen if they put their foot there, or go too fast over certain terrains. Finally after x miles the horse learns its footing, good choices, and I do have to say I will trust what their feet say. But that takes time and training.

Like for mud, only they know if there is a bottomless bog there. Depends on the horse depends the trail conditions.

I do think some horses and breeds are just naturals when it comes to trail footings. I have had very good luck with the arabs I have ridden/trained. My Rocky Mt mare when I first started her on trails, was a total natural. She progressed very quickly. It was like she had been on trails her whole life.

I do try to keep my horses in the most natural pasture possible. I do work with them on trail obstacles I have made in my pasture. Never know what will come up on a trail, I like my horses to be adaptable and trusting of me when such an event comes up.

Comment

I have been lucky enough to choose horses who have great judgment and are very willing. I have friends who have to micromanage their horses, and I don't want to put forth that much effort. I love having two brains working at all times anyway.

Comment

50/50. My mare usually has a good reason for going where she wants. I control direction while she picks where to put her feet. If she needs to trot or canter then I let her do so within reason. She's an Arab/Mustang cross and has a good head on her shoulders.

On the other hand, my previous gelding would need his hoof held the whole way through with instructions for each step. I prefer the horse to have some say on what we should do. Especially in rougher terrain.

Comment

I had a quarter horse that I had mainly used in the arena and maybe the odd trail ride. I ended up selling him to a fellow that had planned to use him in the mountains for hunting. He ended up owning the horse until his retirement and had so many good stories about the horse. One in particular was that he was hunting in the mountains late fall and a blizzard moved in while he was away from camp. He got turned around and he said you couldn't see the hand in front of your face. He had no choice but to drop the reins and trust the horse and sure enough old "Doc" got him back safe and sound.

Another story was he saw some elk down an extremely steep hill, so he got off Doc and slid down the hill/mountain on his butt. He looks back and here comes Doc sliding down on his butt.

He was a great horse. They donated him to a camp for kids. We went and saw him when he was in his late twenties and he looked so cute with pink ribbons in his mane and tail.

Comment

I turned my show horse into a trail horse last fall, and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly he took to it. Third ride out we came to a downed tree across the trail. We were literally on the side of a mountain, no way to go around it. He jumped it without hesitation, and I knew I had a partner I could trust. Some just "get" it right away, in my experience. He had a little trouble at first with the concept of walking out as opposed to the show shuffle, but now he knows what's expected of him and will either go slow or fast depending on where he is.

Comment

My heart horse...not a bit. She was game for whatever was on the menu that day but was really naughty on too many occasions for me to trust where to put her feet. Mustangs we trained, them I trusted explicitly they knew the best footing and the best course to get where we were going.
                Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                Originally Posted by alicen:
                What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

I'm usually pretty trusting and let him pick a lot of things. I do keep an eye out for holes though and steer him away (the place we ride now is a lumber tree farm, the paths are safe, but off to the edges are places where trees were cut down once upon a time and the stump rotted and left a hole that may or may not be obvious to the horse).

There's also a bit of a hill that makes me nervous every time we go down it. Up is fine (and it's not even that big, LOL) but it's just this length of hard packed dirt that seems like there's little purchase if he were to slip so I'm always like, "okay...let's go easy, be careful." And he just flicks and ear at me like, "lady, we've DONE this a thousand times."
                  The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                  Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

My Tb mare is pretty steady. Generally, I just let her pick where she walks. Occasionally when on rougher terrain, I may ask her to take a different path than what she was choosing, due to something I see like slick muddy area or loose rocks etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SharonA View Post
                      It does seem that "snort and blow" equals "I'm airborne because I look so damn fine when I've got my Arab on," but head in the air means, "WHAT?WHEN?WHERE?WHICH?WHY?WHO? IS IT A MOUNTAIN LION? Or even worse than a mountain lion, ------ IS IT A CHRYSANTHEMUM?????!!!!!!!
                      Haha - they do know they look damn fine when they've got their Arab on.

For the guy I ride, substitute boulders for chrysanthemums -- yep, the one thing that hasn't moved since the Ice Age is the thing he truly believes are horse eating monsters. Doesn't matter if it's the same boulder we've passed every day on the same trail, it's still obviously going there to eat him.
                      At its finest, rider and horse are joined not by tack, but by trust. Each is totally reliant upon the other. Each is the selfless guardian of the other's very well-being.
                      (Author Unknown)

Comment

I trust my guy 100%. Generally he and I are on the same wavelength and make mutual decisions but most often I leave the footing to him and the speed, direction to me. He's carried my butt through some of the most hair raising terrain and never took a wrong step or spooked at the wrong time. He's 26 now and still going strong but there will be a day when he will no longer be able to and what will I do then without my dependable Woodrow?
                        Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Working...
                        X