• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

noseeums aka midges aka...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noseeums aka midges aka...

stinking biting tiny little things you can't even barely see?

What the HELL works on them?

HELP!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Read elsewhere too!

There are like 100 threads devoted to this subject usually starting off with tail or mane rubbing. Do a search and you'll see the myriad of things people have tried. It's under both Off Course and Horse Health.

I'm in my 7th year of the battle here. This year I'm trying a Weatherbetta mesh combo fly sheet AND ground flax seed. So far the best results but her mane is 1/3 gone still. The groin area is better as the flax is helping with the inflammation & skin quality/response. I did some research on the culocoides gnats and they breed in damp areas and are repelled by flysprays. This year I'm trying Bug Block....dunno if it's better....Mine are out 24/7 so limiting turnout at the peak times is not possible.

Have had limited success with Anahist antihistamine since the reactions to the midges is a generalized allergic reaction and my vet has suggested Atarax (hydroxyzine) too. In the end I may have to try allergy shots which apparently work with this severe allergy. The symptoms are mane/tail/belly rubbing. This is not necessarily where they are actually being bit BTW. It's just where they itch.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, sorry, should have specified--for the RIDER...

Yes, I know they are awful for the horse, but <knocking wood madly> my concoctions for them seem to do the trick ok. It's ME they are eating, terribly, for the first time ever.

To the point I'm not sleeping at night after working the horses, because I am so covered in welts from the little black dots.

Comment

born in sand gnat country

well I was born in sand gnat country, raised on the Vernon River between warsaw and ossabaw islands, spent all my allowance on fly spray, had one out of 6 horses in my life allergic to gnats, so...........
        all fly sprays help on horses.
        skin so soft, mixed with white vinegar, and water (you don't have to use citronella or eucalyptus oils) will repel. I think the skinsosoft stinks so much it makes the gnats sick.
        and rhino, which comes in a tiny little aerosol at convenience stores, is used by shrimpers, and costs too much to use on anything but heads of my 2 horses.
        my friend Lucy found the formula for skinsosoft/white vinegar/water at something like, comanchemoon.homestead.com or at homestead.com, whatever, but after following the directions, I found I could mix less skinsosoft with more of the vinegar and water and get the same results.
        and you can buy skinsosoft on ebay cheaper, when they change the bottles, they sell off to people who resell, so you don't have to pay the retail.
        and you can buy by the case.
        at a show when I was 18 here in savannah, some guy asked me "what are these invisible things that bite in the dark?" sand gnats are the bane of coastal georgia. and SC.
        spray fly spray every day. and watch out if you have an allergic horse, as steroids can cause laminitis.

Comment

Skin so Soft or nearly any of the cutter people sprays.

I also use a product called Bug 'n Sun... it's a sunblock AND insect repellant.

Comment

If you don't want to use a Deet product then get a lemon eucalyptus oil spray. I've bought this spray at a couple different sporting goods/outdoors stores. Lemon Eucalyptus oil is very repellent, more so than citronella oil and it's pretty safe to use directly on the skin. Just don't inhale the mist while spraying!

I hate getting bitten by gnats. I have extreme reactions myself.

Bonnie

Comment

I'm just full of good ideas!

OK then!!! I have to wear a bandana on my head during feeding time in the evenings to keep them from biting around my hairline. OR make yourself a "bug hat"!! Find an old floppy brimmed straw hat and spray the heck outa it with a strong DEET bug spray. That'll work. Floppy brim cotton beach type hat too. You can find them at the dollar store or Walmart. I find DEET productsz work but you're not supposed to use on face so I just spray hand and "dot" my face= nose and 2 cheeks repels off face. Or look in the outdoor wear catalogs where they sell those head nets. Again Walmart sells them. The gnats are attracted to your CO2 so the heavier you breathe; the more you'll attract...so...just stop breathing!!!

Another bug hat design = straw hat with shortish brim. Hang 4-5 inch long pieces of cotton string every inch or so around the brim. So it's like a long fringe...soak strings in bug spray and wear. Of course, you'll need a good sense of humor and absolutely no ego!!! You can make a similar contraption for your riding helmet for trailriding too. I should patent this invention......

Comment

Originally posted by wateryglen View Post
                OK then!!! I have to wear a bandana on my head during feeding time in the evenings to keep them from biting around my hairline. OR make yourself a "bug hat"!! Find an old floppy brimmed straw hat and spray the heck outa it with a strong DEET bug spray. That'll work. Floppy brim cotton beach type hat too. You can find them at the dollar store or Walmart. I find DEET productsz work but you're not supposed to use on face so I just spray hand and "dot" my face= nose and 2 cheeks repels off face. Or look in the outdoor wear catalogs where they sell those head nets. Again Walmart sells them. The gnats are attracted to your CO2 so the heavier you breathe; the more you'll attract...so...just stop breathing!!!

Another bug hat design = straw hat with shortish brim. Hang 4-5 inch long pieces of cotton string every inch or so around the brim. So it's like a long fringe...soak strings in bug spray and wear. Of course, you'll need a good sense of humor and absolutely no ego!!! You can make a similar contraption for your riding helmet for trailriding too. I should patent this invention......
                Here's an easier design for you to patent... take a stretchy headband (they are all the rage, so easily found in most discount and dollar stores) and attach strings to the head band. It can then be worn under a helmet or hat. : )
                In fact, there are some that adjust like a bra strap... these could even be soaked in deet and put on the outside of a hat or helmet.

Comment

Dorky!

Yea but THAT would look absolutely dorky!!! Hats aren't dorky! Hats are fashionable! Funny hats scare horses and THAT's worth the effort!!
                  I'm gonna make millions on this........!!!

Comment

How about this one, dryer sheets! Yeah, weird huh? For some reason the Fribric softener sheets repel knats. Tear them into strips an hang from bridle for the horse. Maybe you could fold them into paper roses and decorate your hat brim with them! Or cut into a fringe and staple them around the brim of a cloth hat. Tuck one under the back to shade your neck! Ear Flaps! sort of a Foreign Legioneer look?

Of course you could just use the lemon Eucalyptus oil which can be put on your skin but I'd rather envision all of you with these wild hats.

Bonnie

Comment

but will it scare the horses?!!

OMG! The foreign legion look!!! That's it!! I'm so there!!! woooo hoooo!! But....will it scare the horses?!! Do I care?!!!

Now....about that lemon eucalyptus oil?!!!??? where do you get that?! Does it work to repel them? I've been spraying my Redskins baseball hat with DEET bug spray and it works....I can hear them buzzing around my ears BUT THEY DON'T LAND!!! So I could add some fabric softener sheets under my baseball hat....hmmmm....sounds good....gotta try it!
                      Any particular BRAND of sheets btw?!!

Comment

I found a commercial spray at two different stores, REI and Dicks sporting goods i think. It's the Lemon Eucalyptus spray. That, cold pressed soy bean oil, geranium oil and catnip oil all are excellent mosquito and knat repellents. Oh, neem oil too.

Equilite, Sore No More mfgr, makes Ricochet fly Spray. the ingredients are: Water, Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Sunflower Seed Oil, Citronella Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Neem Oil, Lemongrass Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Rosemary Oil, Tea Tree Oil. It's quite nice and safe to use on yourself. it would work well on knats. Smells good too, aromatherapy stuff.

Bonnie

Comment

• Original Poster

boy, I don't check this thread in a little while... and the things y'all are coming up with... lol!!!

I might try the Ricochet... been using the Sportsman's DEET stuff, but I hate using it when I can't shower afterwards for awhile...

Alas, since I posted, we've gone from black fly season into deer fly season. Sometimes I prefer the black flies.

The biggest issue with the midges now is that they come through the screen into the house at night to devour you when you try to sleep. Gotta love summer. NOT.

Comment

bump

going to be miserable here too. what about for horses turned out all day? is SSS the best option?

Comment

Hay

FOr horses...now we're in NY and I just don't think we have them as bad as you all.

I use Swat inside their ear flaps and along their midlines of their bellies and an extra dab on the belly button. I also include the area between their front legs even though it's hairy. And, truly the best fly spray is Tri Tec in a gray bottle. It's expensive but shoot that stuff works.

When I trail ride on the horses, I use one of those ear nets that the jumpers use and then spray with Tri Tec.

My one horse seems to have a slight head shaker syndrome to anything touching/flying against his muzzle so if I keep the whiskery hairs short on his muzzle, that seems to eliminate that problem.
                              Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
                              One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
                              Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Comment

for barns and patios i use fans. big box fans blowing hard keeps the little suckers from the area. even the horses will stand blissfully next to the fans when the bugs are bad. works for mosquitos too.

Comment

Working...
                                X