• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How long before a ride do you stop riding? And some other questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before a ride do you stop riding? And some other questions.

I do have a ride next Saturday that I am going to go on [mare did break her tail, but she can now be ridden].

I rode yesterday 12 miles, and I think I'm done with riding her until the ride. So...that's 6 days until vet in.

What should I do? I plan on sweating her legs thursday night [friday is vet in].

I'm trying to get as much long-stem forage into her with beet pulp and her hay, so that she can have good healthy gut sounds.

I have a probiotic [probios], should I give her that friday morning or thursday night? I also ordered some electrolytes through Slypnergear.com and they should be here soon, as well.

Wednesday I want to give her a full bath and massage with thermaflex, would that be a good idea?

Also should I preload with e-lytes? I've heard so many different opinions.

Sorry for all the rambling and questions, I haven't ridden a ride in a year and I'm doubting my usual routine for some reason.
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

JMHO!

I don't get the sweating legs thing but I digress....!!

You can't preload electrolytes. Only maintain the normal levels. Their kidneys will naturally maintain the levels and pee out the excess. So once you have them at proper levels; anything given is wasted. But definitely during & after an exertion is a good idea.

Comment

Not riding her again is fine. I will usually do a last workout type ride 7-10 days before and then just ride lightly once or twice during the week.
      Some people give e-lytes a few days before but I give them only during the ride day, and usually only if the ride is very tough or it is hot. Arent you only doing 25s? I've never given elytes for LDs. I've never done pro-biotics either, I generally keep things simple. Also its probably not a good idea to give a horse lots of new things during a ride.

Comment

We do give our mares probiotics and elecrolytes starting the day before we leave for the ride. If it's going to be a cool ride, we might not give elecrolytes until the day we leave. But I feel my mare needs them, as she tends to already wait longer than I'd like to start drinking. We like to bathe our horses before rides. They get so dirty and the grit can't be good under a saddle. I don't think I would ever give my horse a week completely off. Even after a ride, I find that four days is usually plenty of time off. I used to give her that many days off before a ride, but she gets so hard to handle. I wouldn't take a conditioning ride any closer than a week before a real ride. But I do ride her just lightly up until Thursday, if it's a Saturday ride. She's much easier to handle the first loop, and still performs as well. My Mom's horse actually gets dangerous if she gets more than three days off. These horses are so fit they just don't know what to do with themselves if they get too much rest.

Comment

I rode yesterday 12 miles, and I think I'm done with riding her until the ride. So...that's 6 days until vet in.

What should I do? I plan on sweating her legs thursday night [friday is vet in]. Not sure why you would want to do this unless she has a tendency for trouble.

I'm trying to get as much long-stem forage into her with beet pulp and her hay, so that she can have good healthy gut sounds. I have read it takes 2-3 days for forage to reach the cecum. I would feed her regular regimen until then. Do not bulk up her feed a lot. I think the theory is to replace what you took on the ride, not preload.

I have a probiotic [probios], should I give her that friday morning or thursday night? I also ordered some electrolytes through Slypnergear.com and they should be here soon, as well. If you only have one, give it to her the night before the ride. I think the theories are mixed on this one. Some say it is useless too early before the ride, and some say th bacteria is still helpful in there.

Wednesday I want to give her a full bath and massage with thermaflex, would that be a good idea? She would probably love it. Have you used Thermaflex before? As the other poster said, you may want to refrain from using new things just before a ride. Consider a conditioning ride with an extar loop at the end!

Also should I preload with e-lytes? I've heard so many different opinions.Night before and day of, is what I do. I do not do full doses- just partials when I knwo my horse can have access to water. You may not see much drinking until they start peeing.

Everyone's ride is different. I will not claim to be a know-it-all for any of this.. just telling you what I am learning and what I do right now. It sounds like you are a very conscientious horsewoman, but do not wear yourself out doing all these extras that your horse may not even need!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. I normally always sweat the legs two nights before the ride, just to be on the same side. I wonder if I shouldn't? I just like to pull out any swelling or heat that may be present there, but now I'm rethinking that.

I've used thermaflex before, just not on her. I was going to give her a full body scrub/wash, then mix some thermaflex in a bucket with water and use a sponge. So not full strength, just something to feel good.
            (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Comment

If this is a 25 why worry about it so much??? I would ride easy right up to 2 or 3 days before and only give electrolytes on the day of the ride.
              25 is not a hard ride. I also change nothing in the feeding.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Shadow14 View Post
                If this is a 25 why worry about it so much??? I would ride easy right up to 2 or 3 days before and only give electrolytes on the day of the ride.
                25 is not a hard ride. I also change nothing in the feeding.
                I worry about it because she's is only half arabian, and this is her first ride. Plus, she's my baby and I worry about her.
                (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Comment

I dont really get the sweating the legs stuff either...if there IS any heat or swelling, its there for a reason and you want to see it, not cover it up.
                  Dont worry too much about a 25 (or really any ride, just ride like you normally do). Trying to do all sorts of new and different things will probably not help and may hurt. If you are really concerned, the best thing would be to ride conservatively. that will probably safeguard the horse more than sweating legs or probiotics or anything like that.

Comment

I totally disagree with the notion that 25 miles is nothing. I've been told by several long-time competitors with thousands of miles that the first 25 miles is where most of the metabolic failure happens. They've also told me that you care for that horse the same whether you're doing 15 miles or 100 miles. Horses have died during 25 mile rides just the same as they have on 100s or 50s. I tend to listen to what the knowledgeable, long-time competitors tell me.

If 25 mile rides were "nothing" then we wouldn't have vet checks because the horse wouldn't be working hard enough or long enough to warrant it. But the fact is, we have 3 vet checks, for a REASON.

To say that "25 is not a hard ride" is giving out false and possibly dangerous information Norval. It depends on SO MANY THINGS. Heat, humidity, fitness level of horse, terrain, how many hills, how fast is the rider pushing, weight of rider, experience, etc. etc. etc.

What I do with my horse is give elytes the day before, the day of, and the day after. I don't ride her too terribly much anyway, so she normally does have 5-7 days off before a ride, just because that's how my schedule works out. This weekend I also gave her probiotics the day of the ride and she got As on gutt sounds versus the Bs she normally gets.

I bathe before rides because I read some study some years ago showing how horses can't sweat efficiently if the pores are clogged with oil and dirt. No clue how true it is, but if the option is there to bathe, I will bathe. If nothing else I try to sponge the shoulders and neck thoroughly to clean up that area.

I hate Thermaflex. That stuff is wicked. I would be really careful with it if I were you. I burned my arms so badly with that stuff, it was miserable, and my horse hates it also. She started stomping and kicking after it was on her skin for a couple of minutes.

Comment

Not worries at all - just being prepared and using good judgement and horsemanship. A lot can happen, even in 25 miles, if you don't use good judgement and preparation. No different than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
                        To say that "25 is not a hard ride" is giving out false and possibly dangerous information Norval. It depends on SO MANY THINGS. Heat, humidity, fitness level of horse, terrain, how many hills, how fast is the rider pushing, weight of rider, experience, etc. etc. etc.

Vickey to you it might be a hard ride but to me it is nothing. If I was walking out the lane tomorrow morning on Shadow and a neighbour rode along and asked me to go for breakfast 12-15 miles away I would only turn back to get my wallet. I wouldn't prepare anything, do anything different then a normal 10 mile loop..
                        In the winter with the snowmobile trails open a 25 mile run is a normal saturday and sunday run and he will do it both days.

Again I feel 25 miles is nothing to get worked up over.
                        I did 30 this weekend just for pleasure.

If you want to ride distance you need to get out and ride more. A 50 mile week is a normal week so don't try impressing me with a 25 miler.

Comment

If 25 mile rides were "nothing" then we wouldn't have vet checks because the horse wouldn't be working hard enough or long enough to warrant it. But the fact is, we have 3 vet checks, for a REASON.

We always had just one at the 12-15 mile mark. That and a 30 minute hold. You will have to come to Ontario to buy your next endurance horse. We breed them tougher here.

Comment

You are totally missing the point, as usual. I didn't say that I cannot ride 25 miles because it's too hard. I said that a lot can happen TO THE HORSE in 25 miles. Hell it could happen in 5 miles also. You have to use common sense and good judgement on 25 miles the same as you do on 100 miles. That's all I was saying. You saying a horse never needs electrolytes, or you don't need to do do ANYTHING at all different for a 25, may not be the best advice FOR THE HORSE depending on the conditions surrounding that 25 miles.

No, it's nothing to get "worked up over." All I said is that the horse MIGHT need elytes or probiotics, or whatever, depending on that particular horse, the speed, the trail, etc. That's not getting "worked up." It's just having common sense and doing what you have to do to protect the horse and keep him safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow14 View Post
                              We always had just one at the 12-15 mile mark. That and a 30 minute hold. You will have to come to Ontario to buy your next endurance horse. We breed them tougher here.
                              So you never had a pre-ride vet in, or a post-ride vetting plus the customary one at the halfway, equaling 3 total for the entire ride? Interesting.

Comment

So you never had a pre-ride vet in, or a post-ride vetting plus the customary one at the halfway, equaling 3 total for the entire ride? Interesting.
                                Your right Vickey. We had a pre-ride and post ride inspection. I was mistaken. I just never thought about them.

As for electroyles I already posted in the past I used smooth apple sauce and a large syringe and gave him doses of electoryles in the apple sauce but not until the day of the ride and during the ride.
                                Drinking was never a problem and he tried to empty the water trough at every watering hole.

I repeat I never looked at 25 as that far and just considered it a nice trail ride in a new enviroment. I rode the horse up until 2 or 3 days before the ride to keep him from getting stale.
                                A 25 is a long way from a 100. If you have to worry about every little thing in just a 25 mile trail ride you are going to die when you hit a 100.

Comment

Oh for god sake Norval, it's not "worrying about every little thing." It's just doing what's right by the horse given the conditions and the circumstances. You should take care of your horse at 25 because at the end of it, the horse should be "fit to continue" meaning he could go out there and do another 25 or 50 or 75. If that means electrolytes, sponging, warming up, cooling down, then so be it. Each rider gives their own horse the care they think they need - even at the 25s.

Comment

I never realized people stopped riding so long ahead of time (6 days). Is that typical?
                                    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCAT View Post
                                      I never realized people stopped riding so long ahead of time (6 days). Is that typical?
                                      Many sources suggest that the last hard (long or fast) workout be at least 5 days before the race. They also suggest daily 5-mile jogs to keep the horse sane and loose up until the day of the ride.

A2, I get what you're saying, and I agree. 25 miles isn't that far. It's a fun little ride. BUT, for a horse that isn't adequately fit for the distance, terrain, and/or conditions, it can prove too much. Aaruba and I did our first 25 after 12 weeks of conditioning, and it was a good distance for us -- safe but challenging enough at his level that it was worth keeping a good eye on his condition throughout.

50 would have been too much for him at the time. That doesn't mean it won't be very appropriate and managable later in the season, and at that point, 25 miles will usually be "no big deal " for us. However, it is true that most episodes of tying-up syndrome occur early in a race, so even 100-milers are wise to pay attention during a "mere" 25 miles.
                                      Training and campaigning Barb endurance horses at The Barb Wire.

Comment

Okay - that makes sense - I just pictured no riding or exercising whatsoever at all and that seemed an awful long time...
                                        "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

Working...
                                        X