• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

sore ankle from riding - any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sore ankle from riding - any ideas?

Hi!

I have been lurking and learning from the messages for awhile and finally registered today so I could post.

I got my first horse the end of January - a 10 year old Tennessee Walking Horse. I got her for trail riding and I am having a blast with her. She has never been shown. She is the perfect first horse for me and she is teaching me a lot!

I am currently riding in a Trailmaster Aussie saddle from Downunder. Overall the saddle in very comfortable and fits her very well. We went to Eminence MO last month and rode over 100 miles - wow what a trip!!! But, since I have been back, now even if I go on shorter rides my left ankle just kills me and I can hardly walk when I get off. Any ideas on what I might try to fix this problem? The saddle currently has brass 4 bar stirrups on it. Since I am new to horses and all that goes with them, I am not sure how to better describe the stirrups – sorry.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Toni

Well, if you're new to the saddle as well as the horse, you'll probably have some aches and pains as you adjust. Particularly if you're going to ride out for 100 miles. I would hurt after that regardless of the saddle or horse -- though it would more likely be my knees, not my ankles! How broken in is the saddle? I don't know much about Aussie saddles, but maybe you need to do the old oil and broom handle trick so that the stirrups are positioned better.

Congrats on your new horse! I'm also a relatively new TWH rider. Aren't they great?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the message, but that is what is stange. When I went on the trip that we rode 100 miles over the week, I was not very sore. Sure I was a little stiff here and there, but nothing that was really uncomfortable. But, now since I have returned home the last few rides have been short ones - only a couple of hours, and about a hour into the ride my ankle starts to ache and keeps getting worse. I will take my foot out of the stirrup and move it around, but that doesn't help.

Can you tell me about the oil and broom handle trick? The Saddle I got new in January. One thing I have thought of is that the stirrup leathers did get wet several times when I was in MO doing a lot of water crossings. I did condition the leather after I got home, but maybe something changed due to the leather getting wet???

And yes, the TWH's are great. I had been ridng friends non gaited horses for several years and last year rode my first gaited horse and I feel in love with them and knew that that was what I wanted!

Toni

Comment

You could try EZ Ride stirrups which are cushioned and have a wide foot base to alleviate strain. They come in different size necks and should accomodate Aussie leathers.

Comment

Originally posted by Toni L View Post

Can you tell me about the oil and broom handle trick? The Saddle I got new in January. One thing I have thought of is that the stirrup leathers did get wet several times when I was in MO doing a lot of water crossings. I did condition the leather after I got home, but maybe something changed due to the leather getting wet???
          The broom handle method is for saddles with fenders: western saddles and western influenced hybrid Aussie saddles. It's probably not relevant for you if you've got a traditional Aussie saddle with English style leathers. A problem with western saddles is that the stirrups want to lie flat against the horse's sides. Fighting a stiff, eight inch wide fender to get the stirrup into proper riding position can be pretty painful. You can shorten the breaking in period by rubbing oil or water on the fenders, twisting them around, and then running a broom handle through the stirrups to hold them in place while the leather dries.

Comment

Thanks carp, for explaining it -- you did a better job than I would have!

Toni -- I didn't realize that your saddle would have English style stirrups. Sound like you've injured or strained your ankle some how -- either on the 100 mile ride or after. Now riding is aggravating it. No way to know if it's from riding unless you give yourself some time to heal and then see. Advil is your friend.

If it is from riding, Jetsbuddy's suggestion for EZ ride stirrups (there's another thread here with a link) is a good one. You could also look at Sprengers if you do have English rigging.
            "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
            <>< I.I.

Comment

I only have an English saddle, and if I go out for a trail ride (even a short 30min) I get sharp pains in my right knee and both ankles. Both knees if it's a longer ride.
              My husband is a resident (doctor) and he said the best cure is... stop riding Yeah right. He has me take aleves if I complain too much. He's not sympathetic when I use that excuse to tell him I need a trail saddle.

Comment

ride faster?

I find that I'm in agony if I do a walking trail ride for an hour, but I can GAIT for hours on end and not get sore. I feel fabulous after a 50 mile endurance ride if I mix it up a lot, walking, flat walking, running walk, some racking, a canter, etc--gotta move those joints around. I have rheumatoid arthritis and trust me, am used to joint pain--take painkillers BEFORE you get on, will keep the inflamation down and make your ride a whole lot more fun. Also check to make sure you're riding balanced, a lot of people tend to brace with one knee without being aware of it--sit up very straight, even weight in both seat bones and think about light feet contact in stirrups and even bend in both knees. You can also try dropping your stirrups one hole and see if that helps.
                Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
                http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

Comment

Turning the stirrup leathers (broom trick) can help on a western saddle. For me, that usually has helped knee discomfort.

In my experience, ankle issues are stirrup related. I have a saddle I ride all the time that worked great. Recently, a stirrup broke and I had to go back to my old stirrups. Now, I get ankle pain after long rides.

See if there are stirrups you can borrow and test out. You need to find something that is comfortable for you.

Another think to try is stirrup length. Up or down one hole can sometimes help quite a bit.

Comment

are your stirrups too short? I had the problem for a while that I had my stirrups too short for my weak ankles and by the time I was done riding (even a shorter ride) the whole muscle that goes from my ankle to knee on ym calf was cramped... could hardly walk for days after. I put my stirrups down a hole or 2 and it solved the problem. When I ride out in my jumping saddle I have to keep the stirrups short, but I try and kick my feet out of the stirrups fairly regularly if we are just walking or jogging so I can stretch my legs.

Comment

Originally posted by Toni L View Post
                      Hi!

I have been lurking and learning from the messages for awhile and finally registered today so I could post.

I got my first horse the end of January - a 10 year old Tennessee Walking Horse. I got her for trail riding and I am having a blast with her. She has never been shown. She is the perfect first horse for me and she is teaching me a lot!

I am currently riding in a Trailmaster Aussie saddle from Downunder. Overall the saddle in very comfortable and fits her very well. We went to Eminence MO last month and rode over 100 miles - wow what a trip!!! But, since I have been back, now even if I go on shorter rides my left ankle just kills me and I can hardly walk when I get off. Any ideas on what I might try to fix this problem? The saddle currently has brass 4 bar stirrups on it. Since I am new to horses and all that goes with them, I am not sure how to better describe the stirrups – sorry.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Toni
                      Stand next to something you can hold and push to stand on your tip toes then back down. Do this 100 times per night for a few weeks. You'll make your ankle and calves stronger which may prevent you from getting sore. This helped me riding and I also did the same exercise when I started playing hockey - you need strong ankles to play or else you will get really sore.

Comment

Originally posted by DickHertz View Post
                        Stand next to something you can hold and push to stand on your tip toes then back down. Do this 100 times per night for a few weeks. You'll make your ankle and calves stronger which may prevent you from getting sore. This helped me riding and I also did the same exercise when I started playing hockey - you need strong ankles to play or else you will get really sore.
                        This is a good exercise. My trainer had me stand on a staircase, facing up the stairs, with just the balls of my feet on the step, hold the railing and lower my heels then raise them up. Definitely helped too.

Comment

Maybe longer stirrups? (I have a walker/mountain horse, aren't they just lovies!)

Comment

Working...
                          X