• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do bossy mares make better trailhorses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do bossy mares make better trailhorses?

Over the last couple of years, I have ridden a couple of definite "lead mare" types who seemed to be very easy to take out alone on the trail. The three I am thinking of were all QH mares who preferred the trail to the arena - and proved to be good at other "task-oriented" riding like sorting and team penning.

Granted, the horse should be looking to you as the leader, but it is definitely easier when they aren't having to "check in" all the time about every mailbox, dog or stump along the way.

My sample of horses ridden is on the small side, though, and my own horse is a gelding (he is steady and safe enough but expends a fair amount more nervous energy on the trail than at home) and I wondered if any of you had opinions as to the rightness or wrongness of my impression that bossy mares worry less out there.
    Publisher, http://www.endurance-101.com
    Blog: http://blog.seattlepi.com/horsebytes/

We have five mares. They are all bossy. Four of them, including the herd boss, love their herd and would much rather not ride alone. Then I have a little Arab mare, she's very independent. In the pasture, she does whatever she wants, no matter what the other horses are doing. She is great to take out by herself.

Comment

We had a very alpha mare who was afraid of nothing but gunfire. She loved to go for trail rides (with no other horses.)

She got out one day and we couldn't find her. Called all the neighbors (have you seen a 950 pound loudly marked black and white horse? No?) Looked and looked for her; no luck.

She was gone for about 36 hours before she came back, filthy and half-wild. We never did find out where she went, but I think she just ran through the woods all that time.
      "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Comment

My gelding is actually VERY dominant. I find he does the best when we aren't in a group because he can get competitive with the other horses. When we are on our own he is wonderful. Although he does like seeing other horses, he is very confident in himself (sometimes a little too much) and is relaxed, not worried, not dependent. Although we are still working on leadership undersaddle he will go ANYwhere I ask him if I am on the ground and go first.

Comment

To answer your question, I do not think that VERY dominant mares make great trail horses. Case in point:Very Dominant Witchy mare cannot go out alone. She spooks at her own shadow. She worries about other horses. She worries about leaving, coming back, and being out. She worries about everything but her own safety. When in a group, new or same herd, she spends the entire ride trying to get out front. She even kicked me and my horse on trail. She stopped directly in front of me and started backing up. She started double barrelling me and my horse. When she passed me, she went after another horse.

Dominant mares making great trail horses. NO. That is my own experience. I know this particular mare...she ain't wrapped right if you know what I mean.

In different hands, she might be a better horse....Just not mine. I would shoot her or donate her to a local hunt.
          Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

Comment

I'd wondered about this,too. My Morgan mare is dominant in the mare herd and is super on trails alone - rarely spooks, does pretty much anything you ask, loves to go out alone. In company she is competitive and loves to be first, but we are working on that and she is improving. My warmblood cross mare is always on the bottom in the herd and hates to go out alone, although she goes now, after miles of practice. She spooks a lot alone, and when in a group prefers to follow (she'll practically fall asleep doodling along in back). Put her in front and she is wary and worried unless the trail is very familiar.

Comment

It's funny you say that, because I have a fairly dominant mare (not a bully, but won't take crap from others if she doesn't feel like it), and she's very task-oriented too. Would MUCH rather be out on trails getting stuff done, or performing a job in the arena like trail obstacles or weaving cones. She just has no interest doing the plain ol w/t/c on the rail all the time.
              Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Like a couple of others have said, the dominant mare was always wanting to get to the front of the group. The one I had did that and it was a pain. We did alot of sideways cantering. She did a great side-pass! When it was just her and 1 other horse though, she was fine. She also didn't like leaving her "buddy".
                "Humans will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple,
                or more direct than does Nature." ~Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

we have a VERY alpha arab mare, that is unspookable and could care less if she goes out with another horse or not. she hates arena work and is just super happy to truck along on the trail. my VERY submissive gelding can be ridden out alone just fine, but he'd much rather have a buddy. he's not extra spooky but will look harder than the arab mare. i think there may be some truth in it just becasue these alpha mares dont seek other horses for comfort so much.
                  if you can read this, thank a teacher, if you can read this in english, thank a soldier!

Comment

Both my super Alpha mare and my easy boy gelding worry a little about going out alone but will do it without an argument. The mare is lazier about moving out alone or in company. The two of them do just great together, albeit bickering constantly about who is supposed to go first. Each will babysit another, greener horse out along for the ride. The mare is Safety Horse, but I notice the gelding has started to exhibit some of the same behaviors, going on full alert and spooking more than he used to, oddly enough. (His spooks are pretty tame.) Both will firmly take me in hand if I have picked a wrong trail or asked something unreasonable, both are willing to negotiate. The gelding is my absolute favorite for a solo trail ride because he has more forward. The mare is fun for different reasons, primarily better gaits, WHEN she can be persuaded to put on some speed. (Going home, now, you better hold onto yer hat, pardner.)

Comment

I really think it is more about independence than dominance.

My arab mare is mid-pack in dominance, independent in the field yet pushes for her way on the trail. So yeah, I would consider her "bossy" but not alpha.Very independent, great horse,can go out alone or in a group.

The very alpha mare at our barn is spooky and nerve-wracked on the trail and could never go out alone. The rider wouldn't make it off the property without being dumped.

Comment

Not necesarrily. A good trail horse is quiet and responsive to it's rider. Sometimes a really dominant animal must be constantly reminded who is in charge. That's are real PIA whether alone or in a group.

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

dominant/confident: yes
                          dominant/insecure: no- argumentative by nature

subordinate/confident: yes
                          subordinate/insecure: no - easily spooked

Confidence is the key. Middle of the herd horses that aren't confident there, are a PITA. Dominant horses that aren't confident in that role, can be a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
                            To answer your question, I do not think that VERY dominant mares make great trail horses. .
                            I agree as least from what I have seen the dominant mare normally has her own opinion on what she believes needs to done rather than listening to the rider which can get you into trouble in tight places

Our best mare is middle of packer, nothing bothers her and she accepts commands without question

On the other hand our best gelding is a herd leader , but he wants to please and seeks prasie

Comment

I have 3 mares - two very bossy/alpha - one not. The one who spooks the most is the one in the middle of the lineup. The least spooky is the doormat that the other two tromp all over.

I like the alpha/bossy personality because those two horses are extremely competitive and I love that. They're not just out for a Sunday stroll. They're on a MISSION. The one who is least spooky and also least on the totem pole is on a mission too but if I check her a few times and get her on a loose rein, she'll happily just walk along, checking out the scenery.

However, the two bossies - I don't think it's possible for them to truly "not" be on a mission. Both of them just want to get down that trail. The faster the better.

Comment

My dominant Morgan mare is great on the trail or alone- she's very confident and very steady. She's by far the best trail horse I've ever had.

As a general rule, I much prefer mares to geldings
                                I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
                                If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Comment

Working...
                                X