• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

lost faith in easyboots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost faith in easyboots

i have been using easyboot bares for a couple years now and have loved the freedom of hoof protection only when needed. i also love not being dependent on my farrier. i ride a lot of hard packed dirt roads and feel comfortable moving out w/ out fear of concussion problems.

unfortunately i had an incident and have lost faith. my horse and i ended up in deep mud while avoiding a car. she became nervous and we started out of the mud. she ended up leaping out and then rearing and taking off at a gallop. all of it is highly unusual for her. she is very experienced and is fine in mud. the car stopped quite aways from us so don't believe that was the issue.

two easy boot bares were torn off. these had new gaiters. i think they collected the mud and made it hard for her to move. i wonder if she reared and bolted because they were flopping against her legs? the only other time she half bolted was when a boot tore away from a gaiter (my fault as i knew it was starting to tear)

so now i don't know what i'm going to do. i will have a fear of mud for sure. i have ridden since age 10...now 40, and this was first major injury. i don't bounce so well anymore i have a broken wrist and mushed face so have a few weeks before i have to decide anything. might need surgery which will delay it even further. i'll probably have to do shoes for awhile just because of pain issues.

any similar occurences? thanks for letting me vent

Get Epics instead. The more I use the Bares the more I think they are a crappy design. You can NOT get them tight enough. I have lost the Bares in mud too but never lost an Epic. When I take the Epics off, they are clean and dry inside. When I take off the Bares, they are FULL of rocks and mud. So much that I have to scrape them out with a hoof pick and a garden hose. It's ridiculous. I won't be recommending Bares to anyone unless they ride on perfectly flat, smooth dry land. Epics on the otherhand I have NEVER had these issues with!
    Last edited by Auventera Two; May. 13, 2008, 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

We tried EasyBoots 15 years ago and found them wanting in many respects.

First, each Boot had to fitted to each foot or you got REALLY bad "heel galls."

Second, they were the Devil's Own Business to get on and off. A screwdriver was an absolute must.

Third, they were highly unsuitable in many of our local riding venues. We get just short of 60" of rain per year in our valley (we are the third wettest place in North America, after a couple of locales in the PNW). This means lots of water crossings and lots of mud. The Boots would quickly fill with water. Even when we drilled "drain holes" in them they retained enough to give a hoof a good soaking over time. As noted, mud can pull one or more off even when properly applied.

In the fall, our dry season, they tended to fill up with dirt, rock dust, and debris resulting in a "sandpaper" effect on the hoof.

We really didn't use them long enough to comment on their durability, but when we're working hard we wear out a set of iron shoes in about five weeks. AFAIK rubber is not more wear resistant than iron.

We abandoned the trial and have not tried other brands. I've looked at other offerings at some of the large "equine marketplaces" that spring up from time to time and have found the same fundamental design flaws in every model I've looked at. Some were clearly better engineered than others, but none would be suitable for our use.

So we stick with traditional shoeing. It's what our horses need for the uses we make of them.

G.
      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

As for wear and durability - shoes are on a horse 24/7. Boots are on for the few hours you ride and then they're off. In my experience, boots FAR outlast shoes. I have a couple sets of boots that are on their second full season of wear.

Comment

Originally posted by winona View Post
          i have been using easyboot bares for a couple years now and have loved the freedom of hoof protection only when needed. i also love not being dependent on my farrier. i ride a lot of hard packed dirt roads and feel comfortable moving out w/ out fear of concussion problems.

unfortunately i had an incident and have lost faith. my horse and i ended up in deep mud while avoiding a car. she became nervous and we started out of the mud. she ended up leaping out and then rearing and taking off at a gallop. all of it is highly unusual for her. she is very experienced and is fine in mud. the car stopped quite aways from us so don't believe that was the issue.

two easy boot bares were torn off. these had new gaiters. i think they collected the mud and made it hard for her to move. i wonder if she reared and bolted because they were flopping against her legs? the only other time she half bolted was when a boot tore away from a gaiter (my fault as i knew it was starting to tear)

so now i don't know what i'm going to do. i will have a fear of mud for sure. i have ridden since age 10...now 40, and this was first major injury. i don't bounce so well anymore i have a broken wrist and mushed face so have a few weeks before i have to decide anything. might need surgery which will delay it even further. i'll probably have to do shoes for awhile just because of pain issues.

any similar occurences? thanks for letting me vent
          Correct thinking. Sometimes it takes injuries and pain to overcome foolishness. Lesson well learned. Get your horse shod
          George

Comment

Foolishness?

Would it be fair to say that shoeing is pure foolishness because those Easywalker shoes have done a lot of damage to horses with their extreme flexibility? Or those Cytek iron shoes with their huge nail holes and inability to shape them?

The Bares are ONE DESIGN of hoof boot, and ONE DESIGN only. If that ONE DESIGN does not meet your needs and fails to perform adequately in your situation, then you can either try a DIFFERENT DESIGN, or you can pursue other options, including shoeing.

It's really that simple and not fair at all to imply that those of us who use hoof boots are fools. It's no more fair than saying that those who shoe horses are fools based on the disasterous results of Easywalker or Cytek, or whatever other design you can think of that's caused problems. Grow up George and try to converse objectively. The attacks by you farriers here on the intelligence of others is REALLY getting sickening. [edit] Sheesh.
            Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 13, 2008, 12:28 PM. Reason: language

Comment

Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
              Foolishness?

Would it be fair to say that shoeing is pure foolishness because those Easywalker shoes have done a lot of damage to horses with their extreme flexibility? Or those Cytek iron shoes with their huge nail holes and inability to shape them?
              My opinions on fad shoeing, junk science and trash products is pretty well known. Check some of the stuff I've said about plastic shoes and natural bs.
              [QUOTE]

[edit]

The OP is smartening up. She sees shoeing as being in the best interest of her horse. [edit].
              George
              Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 13, 2008, 01:00 PM. Reason: quote of edited material/personal commentary

Comment

can't lose what I never had

Comment

Shoes - no shoes - boots - no boots.....it's a decision that each owner makes for each horse on an individual basis. PERIOD. I can NOT for the life of me figure out why people have to turn it into a fight with name calling. This horse owner can try other boots if she wants, or she can go back to shoes. It's really NOT a dramatic situation.

I cannot understand the need for "BUA compatriots and foolishness" talk. It's just a decision to make. That's it. And whatever she decides I'm sure will be just fine for her situation.

Why is it that anytime someone makes a different decision than you do, they are a fool/uneducated/idiot/BUA, etc. But if they choose shoes they are "smarter." Nobody is smarter or stupider than anyone else. Everybody just makes a decision based on the info they have, and their situation, coupled with their individual views. Doesn't make me stupid, and doesn't make you smart, or vice versa. It's just a different way of doing things fergodsake.

I wish the moderators could pare this crap out of these boards. It completely ruins the forums.

Comment

I'm sorry that you got hurt and hope you heal up okay.

I've never tried Bares but am using Epics and Renegades for almost a year now. Where I live, there is never much mud, so I cant really speak to that. The boots are working well overall but shoeing is most definitely easier. I have NEVER had a horse lose a shoe and all I had to do was schedule and pay the farrier.

Like I said, my boot experience overall has been good and I feel good that my horses' feet look much better, but there are definitely hassles involved. For both the Renegades and the Epics, I get only so much use until something on them breaks and I have to get them fixed. I've also had equipment failure on the trail which stinks too. It doesnt happen often but of course always seems to happen at the worse possible times! I have not been able to get to many endurance rides this year but I will see how I feel about the boots when I am doing a lot of rides, hopefully soon.

Comment

As per the previous post, everyone please return to the original topic. You're all welcome to provide your different opinions on solutions to the OP's experience, but do not engage in general redundant battles in the middle of threads.

Hit an alert if you feel commentary is inappropriate.

Thanks,
                      Mod 1

Comment

FYI - Ive seen shoes get pulled (no, RIPPED off) off in mud too.

I like the Old Mac G2. they are only like $40 more than the Epics. and they fit the horse better, provide better traction, and are much more user friendly.

valleyvet is the best place to get them.

good luck

Comment

Certainly mud can suck off a shoe. But I've never had TN mud suck a shoe off any of our horses. Not so with EasyBoots.

Like I say in OUR environment (very wet for six months, wet for three, dry for three) they just don't work anywhere off well prepared surfaces. Since we go on a lot of unprepared surfaces they are seriously wanting for us. YMMV.

As to the other brands I still see serious deficiencies for our area and use. Again, YMMV.

G.
                          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                            Certainly mud can suck off a shoe.
                            G.
                            How can mud suck a shoe off??? There is little for the mud to get a hold of with a shoe?? Could it not be that the foot was slowed down enough that the shoe was stepped off???

Comment

• Original Poster

i'm sorry that this thread turned into another battle re:boots vs. shoes. i take offense to being called "foolish and stupid". i have loved boot use before this and will keep using them to some degree. i won't have much choice for awhile since i'm one-handed and won't know how painful my wrist will be even once healed. also farriers, esp. good ones are very hard to find around here.

A.T.--thanks for the input on the epics as i've never tried them.

Comment

Hay

I've been using the Easyboot Epics however they do seem to wear a bit quick. I've had mine a year and will be replacing shortly. I had bought the Old Macs many years ago and that first pair lasted me almost 5 years!!! When I replaced with the new Old Macs, apparently made in China, the sole was so hard that it made the bottom very slippery. We would slip on any sort of slick rock whereas the previous pair of Old Macs, the sole was softer, had a great grip.

Again, I am now in Easyboot Epics and while they wear a bit quicker, I like the grip on the bottom and have not had anything come off while in mud. We're in the NE so we're pretty muddy here too.

Thanks for the info on the Easyboot Bares. I was going to try but now, I'll replace with Epics. GOod luck with your horse!
                                Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
                                One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
                                Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Comment

Winona - Shoeing might be the better option for you if you're one handed , at least until you see how you heal up. Ouch, sorry to hear that. If you can put boots on with one hand then you deserve a special paid holiday. They're hard to get on with two good hands. If you do decide to try Epics, or some other type, they're easier to get on than Bares. Of all of them, I think Bares are the most difficult to get on.

Comment

Originally posted by winona View Post

two easy boot bares were torn off. these had new gaiters. any similar occurences? thanks for letting me vent
                                    yep...which is why we don't use them

best
                                    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                                      Originally posted by Shadow14 View Post
                                      How can mud suck a shoe off??? There is little for the mud to get a hold of with a shoe?? QUOTE]
                                      very deep red clay mud can form an adhesion to the hoof and loose nails on shoes are made looser by the mud...complicated in that is actual turnout in red clay mud as well as riding in same...to "suck a shoe" is a fairly common thing...

best
                                      Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                      I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

I've had my Epics (same pair) for 2 years. I live in the Mtns. of western NC and used them pretty often. (not always same horse).

I have ZERO complaints about the Epics. I did purcase a pair of Bares and immediately tossed them on ebay. They were so hard to put on and didn't fit as well as the Epics.

We do, on average 15 miles per weekend day of riding. Sometime up to 30. They have gone thru mud bogs, jumps, rivers, red clay, you name it - and the worst that has happened has the metal clip flipped up (boots stayed on).

I wouldn't give up on the boots just yet. If you aren't riding, then maint. trims are all you horse should need. If you invested this much time and interest in your horses welfare, no need to shoe while the horse is on a break

There is no telling what caused your horse to get upset, could have stepped on something sharp in the mud, could have gotten stung, really no telling.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.
                                        All horses can go barefoot, but not all owners can - words of wisdom!

Comment

Working...
                                        X