• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Fish out of water here. need advice about buying trail saddles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish out of water here. need advice about buying trail saddles

Hi guys.
    I'm so out of my elements when it comes to western tack so I I hoping for some advice. My daughter is taking on a cute western trail horse and when he comes, we are going to need to outfit him on a very tight budget. I know very little about western saddles so I'm trying to learn before we go shopping. Everyone I know that rides western has a conflicting opinion about what she should get and should stay away from. I should've expected that , being that they are a.) Horse people and b.) They are horse people lol.
    We had my daughter measured and she needs a 16" seat. Because she had tendonitis she needs a light weight saddle to lift. They gelding she is getting is a QH so I have learned he will need full or semi QH bars, whatever those are. Since he is pretty much a table with his wide back and low withers, I am going to have him measured when he comes to our farm.
    So what do I need to know about shopping for western gear before we set out ? I am asking some friends who barrel race to go with us and possibly her trainer but I don't want to look like a complete idiot when we go.
    My daughter is going to be buying something used for now with her money and for Christmas I'll get her something better. So please give me advice about looking at used western trail saddles.

Thanks!

Are you unfamiliar with just western tack or with tack in general? Is there a particular reason why the horse will need western tack when he comes to you? You said he is a western trail horse, and at first I assumed you meant your daughter plans to trail-ride him; then I started wondering if she is going to be showing him in western trail classes at shows.

If they are going to be trail riding and not showing, and you are familiar with English tack or some other nonwestern tack, could you get an English (or whatever) saddle to fit the horse? I personally prefer trail riding in an English saddle or a trail saddle (one without a horn) to riding in a western saddle (and I love western saddles. I have a 16-17 lb. synthetic Big Horn that weighs less than some of my friends' dressage saddles).

But if they are going to be just trail riding, there really is no need for you to buy something you're not familiar with. Almost any saddle can be good for trail riding. I have read several posts by COTHers saying their dressage saddles were their favorite trail saddles!

But if a western saddle is what the horse needs for whatever reason, here is my suggestion:

Go to local feed stores and tack shops and try the new and used western saddles in stock. Have your daughter sit in them to see what fits her (e.g., a 16" barrel saddle is not as roomy as a 16" pleasure or trail saddle. Barrel saddles tend to have high cantles which make mounting/dismounting less convenient for me but your daughter is presumably younger and more limber!). Pick a saddle she can easily pick up and put on the horse (western saddles are HEAVY!). Make sure she can easily adjust the stirrups and that they can be adjusted to the proper length (at 5'2" I find that on many western saddles with Blevins buckles the stirrups cannot go short enough for my legs).

Ask if they will let your daughter take the saddle home to try it for a couple of days. Make sure it is as comfortable (if not more comfortable) for the horse as for your daughter.

Google "full quarter horse bars" to read about what those terms mean. I know it has something to do with the bars of the saddle (part of the tree) made to fit horses by width, but I don't know enough to explain it fully or even to recommend any particular web site!

All that said, I would still recommend going with whatever kind of tack you already know about ... unless, as I said before, they are going to be showing in western trail classes at shows.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

Full or semi QH bars is basically gullet width/tree size. Full will be wider than semi.

As with any English saddle, quality used is going to be better than cheap new. You'll be able to tell what a quality saddle is, same way you can tell a good quality English saddle. My husband has two Silver Royal saddles that are probably 20 years old that are in good shape despite having had ZERO care, get flung around, dropped on the ground, etc. They're not terribly expensive new at $6-700. I'm also a fan of Circle Y and Billy Cook. I haven't had personal experience with any others.

I just saw the reply above mine. That's very true. Most western horses can easily be convinced to wear English tack. I will ride western on my hunter if I go with my husband because he typically pouts if I don't, but my favorite trail saddle is my old Stubben dressage saddle. And I use my Stubben close contact for endurance rides and training miles. If you're not showing western, just ride in what you've got as long as it fits the horse.
      Last edited by candysgirl; Aug. 4, 2011, 01:01 AM. Reason: Hit enter too soon.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I do know English tack but not Western. My DD was taught basics English but is learning to ride western, which she prefers. She feels more comfortable riding western and since she just wants to trail ride, we are looking for trail saddles. Our tack shops do trials but I want to go armed with more knowledge than what I know now so I don't end up buying something simply because the sales girl was pushing it.

Comment

On Western Saddles. I have used Wintec trails that didnt last or fit any horses well.. MY favorite is the Weaver, super light, comfortable, fits every horse from tb's to my qh track ponies ....
          and my students pick the Abetta all the time, which I think is due to the deeper seat giving them a more secure feeling. Its also light but the Weaver is the lightest.... best for me, and great for my horse. Weavers also have buckles to adjust stirrups.
          All the above are synthetic. We ride everyday, all weather and they hold up just fine, little or no care.

www.horse.com just had them on 1/2price sale for $150~
          I also use the halter bridle, each horse with a breastcollar, the neoprene backing, www.horse.com has western girth in all colors on sale for $7~
          On pads --we use the foam base / easy to keep clean, wisks sweat away from the horses skin. Fleece you cant (really) clean, and it will eventually get *dirt balls* that can cause rubs.

For serious distance riding, the weaver is fine but nothing compares to my tucker! My friend has a used ortho-flex she loves
          however, both those saddles are costly, but worth every! penny.
          IN GOD WE TRUST
          OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
          http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Comment

Dakota barrel saddle is a good choice. Weight is less than twenty pounds, stirrups will move a bit more front and back than a pleasure saddle and has a deep seat. I have lots of saddles but my two barrel saddles are my favorite for trail riding.

A new Dakota brand is about $500 - 600, used maybe $300. Mine is fifteen years old and has held up well with almost daily riding.

Comment

Used Big Horn cordura/leather saddle with full QH bars...check out ebay. I've had all the other synthetics and like this one the best for fit and longevity.

Comment

I LOVE trail riding in my abetta endurance saddle. It is identical to a western one, just without the horn. I have ridden in a big horn cordura also, but it is just too narrow of a seat for me to be comfortable in it even though other people love them. If you do end up needing a full quarter horse bars, send me PM as I have an Abetta endurance saddle that an old boarder at the barn left behind and told us that we could keep it if we wanted, but it is way too wide for any of our horses.....
                Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Comment

I agree with those who posted about synthetic saddles. I have a Big Horn that I dearly love. I personally prefer it to the Abettas, but that is just the looks--having never ridden in an Abetta I can't compare them for riding. I have read that the Wintec western saddles aren't as good as the English ones, that they have very hard seats and aren't comfortable for the horse either. This is my saddle:

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/151617bighor.html

Lightweight, easily adjustable stirrups, one cinch.

I still recommend going to local tack shops and trying their stock. If you and your daughter narrow your choices down to 2-3, you could always come back here and ask us COTHers which of those we'd recommend!

Comment

I hate trail riding with a horn, so I ride in an endurance type Western saddle.

I am a stickler for quality, and there are a couple of brands out there that are also economical that I'm very pleased with personally. Dakota Saddlery makes an endurance trail model, as does Nash, which come in full QH bars. Both about 18-24 lbs, and top quality leather that lasts and lasts. Just keep them oiled and they will last for decades. Chicks Saddlery and Horse Saddleshop are good places to look, and they carry several models if you do want a horn. These saddles are economical, selling for $500-700 brand new. You can find them used but expect to only save $100-250 as they resell well.

I cannot say enough good things about the Dakota Trail Pleasure saddle (except, it has a horn). I rode in one for years and years and only sold it to buy my current hornless model.

A friend of mine rides in the leather Big Horn Endurance model, which is more expensive than the above, and I've not seen that it is any "better" than the above, except it does have a cushier seat.

Comment

Originally posted by sschuessler View Post
                      I LOVE trail riding in my abetta endurance saddle. It is identical to a western one, just without the horn. I have ridden in a big horn cordura also, but it is just too narrow of a seat for me to be comfortable in it even though other people love them. If you do end up needing a full quarter horse bars, send me PM as I have an Abetta endurance saddle that an old boarder at the barn left behind and told us that we could keep it if we wanted, but it is way too wide for any of our horses.....
                      I too love my Abetta Endurance!
                      http://www.buyabetta.com/

It fits my mare and myself perfectly. Lightweight, easy to clean, decent price.

Stay away from the Wintecs... Crappy.

Personally, I'd stay away from a Barrel saddle also. They have taller horns that can get in the way, jab you in the stomach, shirt gets caught on it..etc. I also find Barrel Saddles too deep. If I need to bail, or get off quickly, they can be bulky for a quick dismount.

If your daughter will be trail riding, the last thing she wants to do is duck because of a tree/low branch and get jabbed in the stomach with a horn.

I love my Abetta Endurance without a horn. Very secure seat, especially being synthetic.

You can also try this site:
                      www.tackreview.com Just navigate until you find trail saddles.
                      MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                      http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

I personally ride in a wade tree western saddle. I switched to these several years ago after trying out someone elses. It opens up the front of the saddle more and gives your horse more room for his scapula to move. It also helps lighten the front end. Often times horses will give you trouble if their being pinched by the saddle on the shoulders. Like rushing up hills, jigging and dancing and not wanting to walk on the trail. I also suggest to new rider to learn to ride in a western saddle. Riding in an english saddle is more for an advanced rider and for trail riding a beginner would be much safer in a western type saddle.
                        I also like to take my horse with me to the saddle shop if possible. Place your saddle on your horse without pad or blanket and tighten it, then lift your horses front leg forward, like he would be stepping forward. While holding the leg up feel how far the scapula has rotated back and see if it is banging into the saddle. If you can not slip your hand in between the horses scapula and the saddle easily with the horses leg lifted forward, then your saddle does not fit your horse. It needs to fit the horse not just the rider.

I also like a hard seat saddle. If you ever ride in a hard seat and you sit in a padded seat you can feel the quality difference in your rear end. The hard seat saddles require much more work in smoothing out the ground seat. Most padded saddles just have padding covering up the poor craftmanship and you can feel all the lumps and bumps in the seat , once you have become used to the better quality seat. Good luck, saddles dont all fit the same horses and actually your horses saddle fit can change frequently with changes in your horses body. You should always check your saddle even if its the same one that you have been riding for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy Corgi:

Riding in an english saddle is more for an advanced rider and for trail riding a beginner would be much safer in a western type saddle.
                          Not necessarily. English saddles are definitely not just for advanced riders, and western saddles are not necessarily safer. They have horns, they do not have quick-release stirrup leathers, they are more secure, yes--but that security can mean they are also more restrictive. Until I got older and achy and stiff I always preferred to trail-ride in an English saddle. No horn to jab you painfully (or harmfully) when you duck under a tree limb or jump a log or ditch.

My feeling is, start beginners out in English saddles and then, when they have their balance and a secure seat, let them try western or whatver if they wish.

But I do like the idea of the wade-fork saddle. I fell in love with one several years ago, wade fork and hard seat. And beautiful to boot!

Comment

Working...
                          X