• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Where can you ride your own horse on the beach?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can you ride your own horse on the beach?

Hey, everyone has seen businesses that let you ride their horses on the beach, but where can you go in the southeast (my range would be Atlantic coast as far north as maybe NC and as far south as the top of Florida perhaps, and then the northern side of the gulf coast) where you can ride your OWN horses? Do you have to have crazy expensive permits to bring your own horses to ride on the beach? My OTTB thinks he's a seahorse and likes to go in the water, so I'm trying to figure out locations for a horse friendly beach trip.
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life

Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island Florida. A friend and I went there in October 2010 and had a great time. We stabled our horses at T&F Stables 904-261-6004 for only $20.00 per night (self care). He allows camping in his stable yard but i recommend either renting a house, motel room, or camping at the nearby state park unless you are fully self contained. The stable is about 3 blocks from the beach on a road with a decent shoulder. Most of the car drivers we encountered were very respectful of the horses. Beach riding is really only good early in the AM or later in the afternoon due to the tourists. I recommend going in the cooler months to keep contact with beach walkers to a minimum.

There were no permits to get, just a few rules...no riding on the dunes, no horses allowed beyond a certain point. To the left of our access point horses were allowed for only about a mile or so but we could ride to the right for a long ways. For our own safety and the safety of the tourists we made the decision to only ride in early AM or late PM. By noon the beach was getting pretty congested so we exited until later. Neither one of our horses was going anywhere near the water though (sea monsters y'know ;-).

Last edited by PRS; Aug. 3, 2011, 11:45 AM.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

• Original Poster

Hey thank you for the info! That's very helpful Now I'm already trying to talk my fiance into committing to a trip before his semester starts up again UA classes don't start back till Aug. 24th, but since he's also a teaching assistant, he and the rest of the GTAs have to go back early for orientation stuff. I think Fernandina Beach sounds like the perfect getaway! And thanks for all the photos, they were great! The place looks like it's exactly what I had in mind
      When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

Comment

I would call the stable to ask if there any rules about what time of year horses are allowed on the beach. I know we went in October....kinda off season for tourists.
        "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

yeah just make sure you have your health papers (CVI) in addition to your Coggins coming from out of state!

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, I'll probably put together a travel checklist! Haha, I already bought one of those trailer aid thingies just in case we blow a flat!

Comment

In Florida you HAVE to stop at the Ag Inspection Station and show your Coggins and Health Cert.
              If you try to drive past the Ag Inspection Station without stopping they will send a car after you to pull you over. You don't want to be THAT guy.

Comment

http://driftwoodranchobx.com/

Comment

Hey Classy

There is a great place you can go with your horse and ride on the beach. Its in Myrtle Beach, SC. The American Heart Association has a fund raiser beach ride every year. Its the 1st week of November 2011, You can stay at a 5 star campground with camping or rental units if you need one.

We go every year and love it! Plus the money goes to a good cause.

here is the website http://www.ahabeachride.org/

Comment

• Original Poster

Myrtle Beach sounds fun, too! I don't know that I'll be able to go this November, though, because that's right after my wedding (we're getting married at the end of October). I don't know if we'll be able to take off again so soon after the honeymoon!

That Driftwood Ranch link looks nice Another great place to keep in mind!

Thanks for the tip about stopping at the Ag station, PRS! I probably would have been THAT GUY (girl) who would have blown on by and had to be called back just because I wasn't thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ClassynIvansMom View Post
                      Thanks for the tip about stopping at the Ag station, PRS! I probably would have been THAT GUY (girl) who would have blown on by and had to be called back just because I wasn't thinking about it.
                      You're welcome. We saw them pulling someone over last time we were there. It kinda stuck with me.

Comment

I'm so excited about this thread! I have been wanting to make a beach riding trip for quite sometime and now yall have told me some places that I could go! Woohoo!!

PRS,
                        Your pics are fantastic! It makes me a little green

Comment

Southeast Texas!!! You can ride to your hearts content from High Island and down around Gilcrest, Crystal Beach, etc. This is due south of Winnie, Texas. Winnie is on IH 10 and about 60 miles from the Louisiana state line. The beach is 17 miles from Winnie.

I have rode on the beach 3 times, once with my former horse Red and twice with The Biscuit.

Hubby and I rode down to the beach yesterday to check it out. Here is a pic of it yesterday where we rode last October:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Last October: This area is a wild life preserve now. A hurricane wiped out the road in 1980...I think it was Hurricane Allen. It was kinda neat seeing the road bed that was over a foot or more thick in some places.

http://dashingbigred.blogspot.com/20...ast-texas.html

Here is pictures from last December:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rAzUxvalJL...denise+sue.jpg

This was across from Galveston. I had delivered a wedding cake in Galveston and my cousin brought my horse to the beach!!! LOL I came back across the ferry and met up with everyone and went for a ride for miles.

We are planning a moonlight ride there this fall. The wind was blowing pretty hard yesterday out there but it is a fun ride!!! I am looking forward to going again.
                          Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

Comment

You can ride on the beach at Croatan Nat'l Forest in NC -- in the Pinecliffs area, there is a big horse trail at the mouth of the Neuse River where it hits the sound. Lovely trail, beautiful riding, we've had great fun there.
                            Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                            We Are Flying Solo

Comment

attraction of florida beaches.....

The golden sands of Florida beaches are a major attraction for visitors to Florida and the inflow of tourists keep steadily increasing year after year. Tourists are eager to spend time in the golden sands of the beaches of Florida just to appreciate the splendorous sunsets, to swim in the less tumultuous waters, play around in the sands and spend some quality time with their loved ones. What is charming about Northwest Florida a€” particularly the Emerald Coast a€” is that beaches feature soft, fine powder sands and the sea waters are so clear and clean.A In Northeast Florida, the beaches are lined with some quaint towns and it is an enchanting sight. Central Florida has some of the state’s most appealing beaches with gentle waves and warm waters that draw huge crowds of tourists all the year round. When you decide to travel to Florida for your vacation, you have decide the beaches you intend visiting as there is an array of golden seashores and one is as enchanting as the other Florida beaches a€“ the ones that are calm and secluded as also the ones that are bustling with activity – are ranked the best beaches in the country for their sheer charm, easy accessibility, enormous tourist facilities and natural scenic beauty. Each Florida beach is unique and exuberant in its own way. Some beaches are noted for the abundance of shells, others for finding pre-historic sea life remains. Some beach locations are luminous, full of life and glamour and boisterous while others are tranquil and quiet and soothing to the nerves. Panama Metropolis Seaside is an enchanting spot to visit, especially during spring break. Destin, located on the Emerald Coast with some fabulous golf course, is more of a holiday vacation place for relaxation and leisure activities. Although all the areas in and around Florida Keys are stunning, Key West is truly outstanding and should not be missed by any visitor to Florida. There are plenty of exciting things a tourist to Key West can do.
                              Last edited by UniqueCotton; Sep. 5, 2011, 08:59 AM. Reason: to add some more details.

Comment

Several years ago, Seminole feeds published a list of beaches in FL and GA and SC where you can ride on the beach. I would think you could find that info somewhere on the Seminole "world's best freeds" website. Their magazine was published on line on their website as well.

Lots more in FL than in GA and SC. But Hunting Beach SC is one of them.

Also check flahorse.com and see if there is an old thread with the listing of FL beaches.

Comment

• Original Poster

Awesome, these extra posts are great! AlfalfaGirl, awesome photos!

Comment

thanks!!! It is fun to ride on the beach! One of our friends rode out on the beach this summer and had her horse in up almost to his back - a few days later someone was bit by a good sized shark. Esther said she was going to keep her getting in the water fun to our rides at Ebenezer park on Lake Sam Rayburn! She is on one of the picture of four of us. She is the one on the far left on a black Friesan/Morgan cross.
                                    Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by AlfalfaGirl View Post
                                      thanks!!! It is fun to ride on the beach! One of our friends rode out on the beach this summer and had her horse in up almost to his back - a few days later someone was bit by a good sized shark. Esther said she was going to keep her getting in the water fun to our rides at Ebenezer park on Lake Sam Rayburn! She is on one of the picture of four of us. She is the one on the far left on a black Friesan/Morgan cross.
                                      Come to Washington and Oregon, no sharkes there and the beach is gigantic and goes for miles, hard packed. People hack and train out there all of the time. A bit of a hike (flight) I know, but it is on my to do list now that I am out here and finally have a horse that will do all of that and more!
                                      "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

Comment

Originally posted by Calamber View Post
                                        Come to Washington and Oregon, no sharkes there and the beach is gigantic and goes for miles, hard packed. People hack and train out there all of the time. A bit of a hike (flight) I know, but it is on my to do list now that I am out here and finally have a horse that will do all of that and more!
                                        Going to second this...I lived on the Long Beach peninsula for 3 years and had a horse stabled probably a mile from the beach. Could ride out anytime (if your horse is good for it!). I think it's like 17 miles of hard pack, wide beaches with very little of the tourist activity other than certain festival weekends. Not a sunny swimming sort of beach, but pretty nice for riding on! And you can drive to/on it as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X