• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff - Synthetic or Leather trail saddle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff - Synthetic or Leather trail saddle

I was reading "Max the Trail Horse" and the author mentioned getting a synthetic saddle for the trail so that if it gets wet it wouldn't be a big deal.

Indeed we are both looking at the same saddle manufacturer -Down Under Kimberly.

I was looking at the horn-free version.

Here's the leather http://www.amazon.com/Kimberley-Econ...=2WCGYYP4D2FDU

Here's the synthetic http://www.amazon.com/Down-Under-Kim...QQ/ref=lh_ni_t

Are their any advantages or disadvantages of going synthetic over leather? I hadn't even thought about the getting-wet thing.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

As far as I know. . .cows are pretty waterproof.

I've ridden in some synthetic saddles, but I have to say I'd rather ride on leather. Yeah, it requires more maintenance, but my Tucker has been rained on again and again. . .not to mention taken swimming a number of times, and it's held up beautifully.

If anything, I think that as long as you keep up with cleaning and maintenance, a leather saddle ages more nicely than the synthetic ones I've seen.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

Thanks @JollyBadger! I think sometimes I think my leather saddle is more fragile than it actually is

I was just worried about what would happen if horse, saddle + all happened to go for an unscheduled swim on one of our creek crossings. Sounds like as long as I clean + condition it would be ok?
      "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Comment

Leather wants more care and it's heavier, but it smells nice, sounds nice, looks nice. I use synthetic because tack care is one of those areas in life where I am really lazy. (I used to climb quite a bit, just as leather boots gave way to double plastic. The difference in weight saving was extraordinary and they required no maintenance, so it made me forever lean toward synthetic for my gear of any sort.) That said, I use a full sheepskin on my saddle and definitely won't use synthetic fleece. The real sheepskin is much more comfortable aand holds up much better. (Ride in running shorts and you'll not go without sheepskin covers on your saddle.)
        www.lisapreston.com

Comment

I've always preferred the synthetic tack- the fact that you can just hose it off after it gets covered with mud, or ride in the pouring rain without a second thought, or decide to not clean it for years with no adverse effects or leave it for a few months in a humid tack room without it getting eaten up by mold are such advantages. As for riding in it, I've never really noticed much difference in the feel of leather vs. synthetic as long as the saddle fits you and the horse well.

Comment

I had the same concerns as all of the posters above, so I went with both.

I like the feel of sitting in/on LEATHER.......but am also very lazy about cleaning, conditioning, etc.

So, I got one of those 1/2 & 1/2 saddles. The stirrups, fenders and skirts are cordura, but the jockeys, seat, cantle and horn are leather. It's way lighter than an all leather saddle (I was also very concerned about weight - it's about 20 lbs.) but I sill get the leather feel where it counts.

The only drawback to the cordura fenders that I've found so far, is that I can't soak them and turn them like I did my leather saddles in the past. However, since it's just cordura, they really don't fight you to turn while your feet are in the stirrups, so I guess I can live with that. Just makes getting your foot back in the stirrup a bit of a fight if you lose one, or when getting on I have to bend over and put my foot in.

Comment

Paula...I just received the same Kimberley synthetic as in your post. I LOVE it, and was quite surprised with the quality. It is so lightweight, fits my horse and is super comfortable. I highly recommend that saddle...cheaper at Stateline Tack.

Comment

Originally posted by qhwpmare View Post
                Paula...I just received the same Kimberley synthetic as in your post. I LOVE it, and was quite surprised with the quality. It is so lightweight, fits my horse and is super comfortable. I highly recommend that saddle...cheaper at Stateline Tack.
                How does it put you seat and leg position-wise? More like an English or a Western saddle? I am looking for an inexpensive synthetic extra saddle and quite like the look of this one.
                "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

• Original Poster

What an excellent discussion. I did go with the leather though, but I can see the appeal of the synthetic, and you can't beat the price. I'll let you know if I am able to keep up with maintenance. These are actually my first saddles at all (I bought an Aussie, and a dressage saddle). Right up to now all the thought that went into saddle choice was going into the school barn and taking tack off the wall LOL!

Paula

Comment

Hate to be a voice of discontent, but I had the same saddle in black from Down Under Saddlery, and sold it after trying it twice. Didn't like it at all, didn't feel like the psuedo-suede areas would stand up to jeans rubbing over it for very long, didn't like the nylon stirrup leathers, and it put me in a strange position for an aussie....and that's after sitting in aussies I simply melted in. I guess it would be alright for tootling around, but I did not trust it for the very hills and sometimes energetic rides I find myself in.

In the positives column, I ordered directly from Down Under and they custom shaped the panels for my TB mare. Fit her like a glove.

This was mine:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p.../Aussie/a3.jpg

To add background, I have a Wintec 2000 AP I really love and my older mare's saddle is a hybrid leather and cordura Big Horn roper. Its not the materials in general I am not sold on, but rather the way they were used to make this saddle.

Comment

I am not crazy about the nylon billets, bought covers for the stirrup "leathers' and am getting a seat saver. I am a western rider, and other than the longer stirrup length, my legs feel under me as in a western saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by piftisha View Post
                        Thanks @JollyBadger! I think sometimes I think my leather saddle is more fragile than it actually is

I was just worried about what would happen if horse, saddle + all happened to go for an unscheduled swim on one of our creek crossings. Sounds like as long as I clean + condition it would be ok?
                        I've taken a couple of unscheduled swims with my saddle - more like swims that were simply unavoidable because they were the only way to continue on the trail. Not to mention that I often ride in the rain, or get caught in downpours halfway through my ride. Just condition the leather a bit to keep it from over-drying and it's fine.

I have to admit, I really love the "aged" look of my leather saddle. The fenders have twisted and "set" themselves so that my stirrups are at a comfortable angle for me. Only thing I'd change at this point is the stirrups themselves - they are the leather-wrapped kind with the lacing, and getting a bit worn down so I may need to replace them soon.
                        Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Comment

I love my heavy leather saddle Yup, leather will not be hurt by water at all, in fact, I do hose it down if it gets particularly muddy. I just let it dry thoroughly then condition the heck out of it and it stays soft and pliable.
                          Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

The only reason I have synthetic saddles is that I am horribly lazy where tack cleaning is concerned, and in the past have abused/neglected perfectly good leather saddles nearly to death. I do very much prefer the feel of well-worn leather, not to mention lack of squeak.

Comment

• Original Poster

Got my leather Aussie saddle yesterday and it was quite beautiful. I ordered an 18 Medium tree and it fit my perch/stb beautifully. One thing - the stirrup leathers seem to take up alot of room (I say seem because I haven't ridden it it yet - it was just too hot today to put clothes on a horse). Is it as bulky feeling as it seems?

Paula

Comment

I had a leather and synthetic Aussie's from Down Under. I loved both of them. I got the synthetic because I liked to get my anhydrotic horse in the lake and he liked it too! I just didn't want to get my good leather saddle wet!

I no longer have that horse and sold the saddles because they didn't fit my new horse...but I can certainly tell you I loved both of them. I did get the woolie leg coverings and suede pads for the stirrups. Both of my Aussie's had metal stirrups. They were great. Loved them and hope you enjoy yours!
                                Logging Miles with the Biscuit 530.5 Miles for 2011 visit my trail riding blog at www.dashingbigred.blogspot.com

Comment

I also have one of the 1/2 and 1/2 leather/cordura saddles. Have been very happy with it.

Comment

Leather only for me. I like the ritual of giving all my tack a thorough cleaning a couple times a year (take it all apart, check for wear spots) and, for me, it goes with good horsemanship. Leather, rawhide, metal... those things are all natural and feel good to me and like they go with a horse. Plastic, notsomuch. It makes me think of dead dinosaur ooze.

If my leather tack gets wet, I just make sure to give it a good conditioning. The only thing that doesn't go out in the rain is rawhide.

Comment

I prefer synthetic for trail saddles, mostly for the weight. I tend to put a lot of miles on my horses and often at fairly fast speeds so anything I can do to minimize the weight they carry is a good thing. It doesn't matter too much to me for my English saddles but the weight difference is significant in western saddles.

The only other thing is that a lot of newer English saddles are made from pretty fine, soft leather that doesn't hold up so well to drenching or to riding through brush. I try to keep my newer dressage saddles off the trail because I have noticed significant wear after being exposed to some trail conditions. My older ones are made of heavier leather and I don't mind taking them out, I just clean them after if they get scratched by thorns or drenched or whatever.
                                      exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

Well, as much as I love the DownUnder Saddlery synthetic Aussie w/horn, my horse isn't happy. It doesnt fit him well. It is a 19" seat and a medium tree. I have the fleece stirrup leather covers on it. Officially for sale.Have pics to email.

Comment

Working...
                                        X