• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

halter bridle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• halter bridle

hi guys,
    I've never posted on this forum but I'm having an issue with getting a bridle on my mare's head. her teeth are fine and having a bit in her mouth is not the problem. She just refuses to be bridled. Will back away, then go up.

I've tried from the left, from the right and taking it apart and building it onto her empty skull piece by piece. very frustrating. I don't want to aggress on her with twitch or tiedowns as that would make things worse.

so where do I get a halter that, once on, can be made into a bridle by snapping on cheekpieces etc? One that I can put on like a halter, throwing the throatlatch over the neck first.

thank you!

Like this?

http://madtack.net/Enduro_Max.jpg

http://www.madtack.net/headstall.html
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Comment

• Original Poster

yes! exactly!
      does this seller have a website somewhere?

perfect, thank you

Comment

Just a warning, many horses really don't like having the bit hung onto the halter and fuss and toss their heads quite a bit while you try to add that bit. It's awkward to get that bit attached and getting the bit into the mouth after it's clipped to one side can be awkward for the horse. This is just my opinion, but I used them for a while and switched to halters with clip on bridles. So you horse may still have issues with the halter/bridles.

I would suggest training the issue away. Is your horse horse hating to have her ears handled? Exactly what part of bridling does she object to? I had to desensitize a 17 hand ASB who couldn't be bridled. I'm 5'3" so you can imagine me trying to bridle a giraff! I basicly taught the horse to enjoy having his head and ears touched and handled, taught him to lower his head for the handling, taught him to allow the arm between the ears, etc, then the bridling (with molasses on the bit) was easy. Of course I then had to teach his owner to do the same thing.

Bonnie

Comment

Hi,

I had a little horse with major head trauma in his history who was 'impossible' to bridle. We worked through it using a combination of - riding in just a halter, building the bridle on his head, and the halter-bridle. The halter bridle was a really good investment as part of the overall package. My boy could handle a halter, but he just couldn't deal with the whole 'bridle over the ears' thing.

It took us less than a year to work through it, but progress was steady and sure. I still remember the first day that I took the reins over his head to lead him, in the normal way ! Then one day I was riding two, and he was the second, and I forgot he wasn't normal and just simply put a bridle on him ( I know, how can you 'forget' about a problem horse that you ride every day ??? - I must have been dehydrated that morning. ) Just like in the Mark Rashid books - we'd worked around, towards and with the problem without ever making it into an issue, and in time, it had gone away. For us, it would have been nice if joe could wear a bridle like a regular horse, but he couldn't, and although we needed to build trust with bridling... 'bridling' itself was not the place to be building that trust.

Good luck with your girl - slow but sure and you'll get there. How long have you had her now, feisomeday ?

Comment

Hought Tack
            Zilco

Those two places make really nice ones. You can check out these tack shops:

Running Bear
            Long Riders Gear
            Action Rider Tack
            Sportack
            Distance Depot

Comment

I have to say I hate halter/bridle combos. They are just plain awkward for all involved. I bought a nice one from one of the sources listed here, so it's not a quality issue. My issues are:

the nose band is very low, because the halter's cheek straps are long, and can't be adjusted up and away from the bit. So the bit- just a regular eggbutt snaffle-clanks against the hardware of the halter. You can't shorten the cheekpieces then offset that with longer bit hangers, basically, b/c the bit hanger straps are too short to allow that- it's a mess. My TWH and QH I tried it on weren't happy in it. My dull TWH didn't care: but she doesn't care about anything

I found it to be difficult to slip the bit in, and attach it on one side, then scurry around to attach on the offside. I'm standing there all over my horse's head trying to do this w/o bonking him with the bit in the teeth, he's chewing and annoyed at all this 'handling' and it's just a mess. Same for dropping it: it's easy to whack them in dropping the bit- frankly I consider it money wasted. I don't reach for that bridle, and trust me, at 100+ bucks, I wish I did!

If this mare is fussy, this seems an unlikely solution to the issue. Sounds like desensitization, learning to like her head handled, gums rubbed, etc, is a more likely path. Good luck

Comment

I've never had a problem with putting the bit on after the halter is on [even though I usually leave the whole thing put together], maybe it's operator error? Or the brand?

I always order from Mad Tack, and I've never had problems with the bit banging against the hardware, so maybe it's just whoever makes the certain bridle.

To put the bit in, I clip it on the off side first, wiggle my finger in the corner of my mares mouth, and slip it in, bring the clip up and clip it. And she's a pretty fussy mare about being bridled, as well.
                (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Comment

the point of the halter bridle is to be able to take a break on trail ride, drop the bit, and tie the horse. After the break, re-insert the bit and go on down the trail. It was that part I didn't love

and nope, same source as yours: snaffle tapping the halter hardware: I have two cranky horses that don't like that 'noise' in their mouths.

Comment

I have the trail halter/bridle from Distance Depot. Right now I am using it as a sidepull since we haven't found that 'right' bit for him, but when I did use the bit the only issue I had was in the beginning...I had to get longer bit attachements (big head). I have put it on him both fully assembled and as a halter with adding the bit attachments later...No issue.
                    I found that the bit attachments are easier to do straight on...maybe not the correct way, but it works! if I ask him to take the bit then stand in front of him I can clip the attachments without any of the scurring from one side to another or worrying about dropping it/banging around in house mouth...I'm sold on the idea
                    Owned by 1 horse, 2 dogs, 1 cat, my 7yo son, a 4yr old cowgirl, and my hubby!
                    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                      and nope, same source as yours: snaffle tapping the halter hardware: I have two cranky horses that don't like that 'noise' in their mouths.
                      Actually, Sportack makes a style that doesn't have the hardware on the noseband.

Comment

• Original Poster

she's the funniest mare. She loves having her ears and poll rubbed, groomed etc. just puts her head down, closes her eyes and deep sighs. no problem.

no issue with putting on a halter either. it's a bridle creeping up her face toward her ears and poll. I've tried it all different ways. I can get a lunging cavesson on to her by opening all the buckles and placing it down from on high, me on a stepstool and she's fine with that. But she hates the bridle.

never had a bad incident cuz I've never been able to get it on her face!
                        now it's getting in the way of her advancement (just being backed and led now, as well as lunged with a rider on board) I've had her 2 years but she's been left to grow until now (she's 4)

Comment

I like that better, CityDog...this is what I have and it's ok on the moo-mare (cow like personality) but on the chewy TWH, he clanks that bit against the halter...and my QH too didn't care for it. Well made, don't get me wrong, but I ended up just not caring for how it sits on the horse's head.

http://madtack.net/MaxTealHBBH.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                            I like that better, CityDog...this is what I have and it's ok on the moo-mare (cow like personality) but on the chewy TWH, he clanks that bit against the halter...and my QH too didn't care for it. Well made, don't get me wrong, but I ended up just not caring for how it sits on the horse's head.

http://madtack.net/MaxTealHBBH.jpg
                            That's odd. I have the same one, here it is on my mare:

http://a802.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...d6cb9f9921.jpg

Maybe it does make noise and I just don't notice? I'm going to have to listen tomorrow when I ride!
                            (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Comment

Also you can have them custom made so the noseband sits where you want, and the bit hangers are below that. You just send in precise measurements of every aspect of your horse's head, and tell them what you want.

Comment

I got a biothane one from Running Bear, and instead of a halter, it has a sidepull for the noseband. It can be a bit bulky, but my OTTB got used to it, and so did I. I couldn't even tell you if it is noisy. I like it because on quiet days, I can attach the bit to my saddle and use the sidepull, which can be adjusted to taste. That gives me more sensitivity with the reins than a plain halter would. However, the padded noseband does not offer much whoa. That's why we only use it on quiet days!

I love the thing, though and don't like to ride him in anything else. Once you get used to it, the adjustability is great, as is the option to just pull the bit off and ride bitless.

I attach the bit to one side, then bit him. It's an eggbutt, and it was simply a training issue to get him used to it. If there is a problem with the horse accepting a bit, training is usually the best solution. I've gotten a few horses through resistance to taking the bit by breaking the bitting process down into eeny weeny steps and figuring out exactly what was bothering the horse. I do this where the horse feels safe and cannot get away but also doesn't have to be restrained too much--such as a stall. Then work on getting the horse to that point just before he usually gets upset without causing anxiety before moving to the crux of the problem. It can be slow, but it works. Sometimes the memory of painful teeth is enough to cause a horse to strenuously evade being bitted, even if the teeth are not currently a problem. Sometimes others have banged the horse's mouth badly while bitting, with the same result.

Also, for training a horse to accept a bit easily, I use one that I'm sure will not cause much pain if the horse swings his head around or rears in evasion. I can't tell you how much time I've spent with a bit held up to a horse's lips while the horse swings his head around or rears. I don't want points smacking him in the face! Eggbutts or loose-ring snaffles (as long as they can't pinch) are good for this part of the process. Full-cheek snaffles are terrible for training to bit. Don't forget to reward the horse when he tries to please you!

Good luck with your horse. I hope you find an option/solution that works for you and your horse!
                                "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Will she take the bit without the bridle? If she will, I'd go less bulky instead of more and use a western split ear bridle with no throatlatch, something like this: http://www.saddleuptack.com/webcat/items/item346.htm .

It might be less intimidating and certainly easier to assemble on her head. You can also use it with the halter she already has.

If it's the bit she objects to, start working her with a piece of baling twine as a bit to get used to carrying something in her mouth.

I do love my halter bridles, though. I snap the bit on one side, slip it in the mouth and clip ithe other side. Easy .
                                  Still Crazy After All These Years

Comment

I don't like halter bridles. I've yet to find one that really fit and operated well as a HALTER and a BRIDLE. They've been around for at least a century (the Army had a version just after the Spanish-American War; they may predate that). The Army dropped it 'cause it just didn't work all that well.

Seems like you have a training problem, not a tack problem. While professional training help will be more expensive than a piece of tack it will also last longer.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

G.
                                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

The Distance Depot aka www.horseloversoutlet.com has a LOT of good stuff like what you're looking for. She just made me a bunch of custom stuff all in beta/bio and it turned out great!
                                      www.jumping-percheron.blogspot.com

Comment

Could the bridle be pinching her hear? I'd try a larger browband before anything else.
                                        Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                        X